PDA

View Full Version : RAW Inspiration question

aspekt
2015-03-06, 09:37 PM
Played our first 5e game last night, including character creation. There was some discussion as to whether RAW required the use of character background elements or whether RAW treated it as a modular option.

This lead to a further query concerning the importance of Inspiration. Obviously it is useful, but my table was wondering if it was intended to be required.

Any comments appreciated.

b4ndito
2015-03-07, 11:37 PM
Played our first 5e game last night, including character creation. There was some discussion as to whether RAW required the use of character background elements or whether RAW treated it as a modular option.

This lead to a further query concerning the importance of Inspiration. Obviously it is useful, but my table was wondering if it was intended to be required.

Any comments appreciated.

I mean your character has to have a background, even if you don't use the pre-made ones. Otherwise you should be playing risk or something.

Inspiration is entirely up to DM discretion, but again, it's a good way to get your players to role-play. No good reason not to use it.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-07, 11:57 PM
The use of background mechanics is technically optional. Dice you can make up your own background you can just grab the skills you want and say you have no background.

Might be hard to get inspiration but whatever.

asorel
2015-03-08, 12:20 AM
I believe the intent of the Inspiration mechanic was to create a mechanic that promoted good roleplay in general, not specifically limited to a character background, though that is from where the majority of good roleplaying will originate.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-08, 12:58 AM
I believe the intent of the Inspiration mechanic was to create a mechanic that promoted good roleplay in general, not specifically limited to a character background, though that is from where the majority of good roleplaying will originate.

Well not really.

If you use your background details the DM is supposed to think about rewarding you with inspiration. It isn't about roleplaying well, even with background skills some people are going to suck at it, it is about using your background details with tour character.

So while the spirit of it may be as you say, the mechanics of it is different.

Good roleplaying has nothing to do with it, just roleplaying to some extent.

rollingForInit
2015-03-08, 05:04 AM
Well not really.

If you use your background details the DM is supposed to think about rewarding you with inspiration. It isn't about roleplaying well, even with background skills some people are going to suck at it, it is about using your background details with tour character.

So while the spirit of it may be as you say, the mechanics of it is different.

Good roleplaying has nothing to do with it, just roleplaying to some extent.

Having your character act according to their background is good role-playing. It means you're acting as your character should, not in th way you, as a player, thinks is most tactically sound or that is best for the group. It's good role-playing when compared with not playing according to the background at all. It's good role-playing for people who're entirely new to D&D, or new to role-playing in general.

But Inspiration is, of course, DM-dependent, and it doesn't even have to be used at all. My group only awards it rarely for what we would call extra good role-playing.

Chronos
2015-03-08, 04:49 PM
Inspiration is definitely a standard part of the game: It's not marked off as an optional rule, or anything like that. That said, though, it's also explicitly entirely up to the DM when to award it, so a DM could award it so rarely that it's effectively not in the game.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-09, 10:18 AM
Having your character act according to their background is good role-playing. It means you're acting as your character should, not in th way you, as a player, thinks is most tactically sound or that is best for the group. It's good role-playing when compared with not playing according to the background at all. It's good role-playing for people who're entirely new to D&D, or new to role-playing in general.

But Inspiration is, of course, DM-dependent, and it doesn't even have to be used at all. My group only awards it rarely for what we would call extra good role-playing.

Not at all.

Your background gives you basics and general outlines but doesn't mean that by following it you will be doing good roleplay.

If a character who was LE and filled with hate saved a puppy from a run away cart, is that person roleplaying poorly? There is nothing in their background to suggest that they specifically like puppies or that they are willing to risk their life for another creature. However that person roleplayed and acted out to save said puppy. Why? Because they like puppies and dogs. No other reason than that. It isn't specifically tied to the background but the LE rogue just likes puppies and dogs.

You could tie it to a background but it isn't needed.

And roleplaying g this and expanding on your character is just as good roleplaying as following the backgrounds. The LE rogue in question actually used their inspiration (backgrounds give inspiration in which you can use it any time) to save said puppy.

Afterwards he tried to steal said puppy but ended up doing that so ce the paladin reminded him that he is Lawful Evil not Lawful Asshat.

So following your specifically general background is not always good roleplaying.

kaoskonfety
2015-03-09, 11:03 AM
Backgrounds are part of character generation and give mechanical benefits. They are part of the basic rules and appear as optional as character classes.

Similar to stunting in Exalted I see Inspiration as a tool to encourage and reward the players for being interesting and descriptive with their actions and behaviours.

Like stunting the main issue is forgetting it completely even if you are using it.

My table is currently playing around with a few options to take the load off the DM and make sure it gets used:

- its a physical token on the table, a 6" tall stuffed penguin at my table, I'd like something more high fantasy but its what was at hand
- At a table of 4, 2 players agreeing a 3rd players actions warrant it - 3rd player gets inspiration
- everyone starts play with an inspiration token they can give away using the standard guidelines, but not use themselves - only one can be "live" at a time and only one can be given out be scene (prevents saving them for the boss and everyone trading them during the tough fight to trivialize it, encourages being interesting prior to that fight though).
- the inspiration token sits in the middle of the table when unclaimed, all you need to get it is to take it and have no one object (would need a non-adversarial table)

Of note I don't play at a tactics table so abuse would be uncommon and we are mostly just brainstorming other ways to make it work more.

Galen
2015-03-09, 03:47 PM
Inspiration is definitely a standard part of the game: It's not marked off as an optional rule, or anything like that. That said, though, it's also explicitly entirely up to the DM when to award it, so a DM could award it so rarely that it's effectively not in the game.Or, the DM could just play with the optional "no Inspiration" rules from the DMG. [it is the DMG, so it's, while optional, as official as anything else]

Gritmonger
2015-03-09, 04:03 PM
Backgrounds are part of character generation and give mechanical benefits. They are part of the basic rules and appear as optional as character classes.

I'd have to take issue with this, because while the rules have optional starting cash if you don't take a background, there isn't an optional starting set of skills and abilities and alternate advancement for if you don't take a class.

EvanescentHero
2015-03-09, 05:17 PM
I'd have to take issue with this, because while the rules have optional starting cash if you don't take a background, there isn't an optional starting set of skills and abilities and alternate advancement for if you don't take a class.

Those rules are for if you want to buy class equipment instead of taking one of the default packages. The game still expects you to take a background, as it grants you skills, tool proficiencies, and equipment separate from your class' equipment, with no optional way of replacing any of it.

Gritmonger
2015-03-09, 05:27 PM
Those rules are for if you want to buy class equipment instead of taking one of the default packages. The game still expects you to take a background, as it grants you skills, tool proficiencies, and equipment separate from your class' equipment, with no optional way of replacing any of it.

...unless you work with your GM to create a "Feature", two skill proficiencies, and two tool proficiencies, as provided for if none of the backgrounds fit. That's not really an option for the classes.

Chronos
2015-03-09, 09:35 PM
You need to have a background. The background does not need to be one of the ones listed in the book; you (and the DM) can create your own. But it's still a background. Separate from the background, but also a standard part of the rules, is the trait/trait/ideal/bond/flaw system for describing your personality, which is more likely to have an impact on your roleplaying. The two are related, in that every background suggests a few possible traits, but that's at most only one of your two traits, and you can derive those from elsewhere (perhaps from your ability scores, perhaps from scratch).

EvanescentHero
2015-03-10, 08:25 AM
...unless you work with your GM to create a "Feature", two skill proficiencies, and two tool proficiencies, as provided for if none of the backgrounds fit. That's not really an option for the classes.

Which it says right in the rules: you can alter a background however you like. You still need to have one though. All of those things come with your character's history, just like your level one class features. You're not deciding not to pick a background here; you're just giving yourself all the features that come with a background and pretending it's not one.

kaoskonfety
2015-03-10, 08:54 AM
I suppose if I had a player show up and insist backgrounds were optional and "just take" two skills and 2 tool skills/languages and X gold...

I'd ask if they want to take it down to the local game shop where they have a more dungeon crawl tactical play favouring group?

They can still play with us... but we have a pretty strong RP focus for a player trying to cut out the minimal rules outlined, per-class suggestion provided and randomise-able, customizable RP bits.

Inspiration and Backgrounds are Player hand book and not in the optional rules section. As per "RAW" they are part of the game. Also as per RAW Inspiration will come up exactly as often as the DM wants. Making it "DM Option RAW".

If it displeases your DM it shall be struck from the world. If it finds favour in your DMs sight it shall flourish.