PDA

View Full Version : TV Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Solse
2015-03-07, 12:54 AM
For those unaware, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is a really good manga/anime about a guy who fights vampires using magical spirit beings. It is so much fun, with creative fights and likeable characters.

For the purposes of this thread, because Jojo fans are split between the manga and anime (personally, I'm still an anime plebian), whenever revealing a plot-important detail, try to spoiler-tag the part that it came from. Example:

It was him, Dio!

Razade
2015-03-07, 01:52 AM
The manga is way more than just fighting vampires. It's also been at least 10 years, the statute of limitations on spoilers seems to me a little expired except maybe for the latest arc. It's a great manga though.

Brewdude
2015-03-07, 06:07 AM
The statute of limitations on spoilers is never over. Ten Thousand people find out for the first time every day. There's an xkcd for that.

http://xkcd.com/1053/

Solse
2015-03-07, 09:25 AM
The manga is way more than just fighting vampires. It's also been at least 10 years, the statute of limitations on spoilers seems to me a little expired except maybe for the latest arc. It's a great manga though.

Oh, I know that it's a lot more than fighting vampires, I just wanted to phrase it the best that I could for newcomers. I'm planning on reading the manga soon, though. I can't wait a week for new Jojo anymore.

Codyage
2015-03-07, 09:31 AM
Hooray! Im glad to see at least a few more posters enjoy the series. The manga is pretty great, and the anime is adapting fairly well. I recommend the manga to a lot of people. However some translations are better than others, and you can only buy parts 1 and 3 unfortunately.

The series is about the Joestar family, and the bizarre adventures they come across. Each Part focuses on a different member of the Joestar bloodline and the experiences they have ranging from encountering undead, serial killers, and incredibly bizarre situations. Since each arc has a new member, and is in a new place the series doesn't drag on to much as far as characters go, since they are always changing. (Sort of like Doctor Who)

The biggest thing to occur happens in Part 3, which introduces stands, essentially spiritual manifestations of your will which comes in the forms of different shapes and powers. These powers encompass the series onward, and really compliment the series.

That is my quick introduction to the series without spoiling anything major directly, so I hope people who read this take the time to enjoy the series. Also, its called JoJo because each main character has it in their name somewhere. JOnathan JOestar, JOtaro kuJO etc.

Solse
2015-03-07, 01:09 PM
When I first saw the first episode of Part 3, I was so pissed that they replaced Hamon with Stands. I thought of it as nothing more than glorified Pokemon battling (granted, Pokemon is still awesome, but if I wanted to see Pokemon battles I'd play Pokemon). As it went on, though, I feel like the stands have been shifting away from "Look, this guy's power is to hit you and hurt you, just like a superpowered human" and more towards the realm of really interesting abilities. I've fallen in love with Stands now, and I heard that the stands only get better in Part 4.

Flickerdart
2015-03-07, 01:57 PM
When I first saw the first episode of Part 3, I was so pissed that they replaced Hamon with Stands.
To me, the weirdest thing isn't that they replaced Hamon (which was never that interesting, and wasn't even referred to that much in part 2) but that they got rid of it so completely. Joseph uses it exactly once and seems to rely on his hilariously ineffectual Stand in the rare cases he engages in combat. Sure, the other characters would never have learned it, but it's something he already knows how to use!

CarpeGuitarrem
2015-03-07, 02:53 PM
When I first saw the first episode of Part 3, I was so pissed that they replaced Hamon with Stands. I thought of it as nothing more than glorified Pokemon battling (granted, Pokemon is still awesome, but if I wanted to see Pokemon battles I'd play Pokemon). As it went on, though, I feel like the stands have been shifting away from "Look, this guy's power is to hit you and hurt you, just like a superpowered human" and more towards the realm of really interesting abilities. I've fallen in love with Stands now, and I heard that the stands only get better in Part 4.
Speaking of: nice avatar. :smallbiggrin:

I've been enjoying the latter half of the Stardust Crusaders arc a lot, and this reminds me, I need to catch up...

Solse
2015-03-07, 03:15 PM
To me, the weirdest thing isn't that they replaced Hamon (which was never that interesting, and wasn't even referred to that much in part 2) but that they got rid of it so completely. Joseph uses it exactly once and seems to rely on his hilariously ineffectual Stand in the rare cases he engages in combat. Sure, the other characters would never have learned it, but it's something he already knows how to use!
Apparently, "only a Stand can defeat a Stand". Granted, Joseph could just OVERDRIVUUUU the Stand user themselves...

Also, there've been a couple of times that Joseph used Hamon (or at least at the point that I'm in in the anime):

Against Kakoyin's flesh bud
Against Polnareff's flesh bud (maybe, I forgot)
Against The Lovers
Did a water jump in the battle against Rose

Still, it'd be awesome if there were more uses of Hamon. Even just a few more.

Speaking of: nice avatar. :smallbiggrin:

I've been enjoying the latter half of the Stardust Crusaders arc a lot, and this reminds me, I need to catch up...
I meant for it to be the full image, which looks like this (but bigger -- I tried to crop it so it all fit in my avatar box):
http://i.imgur.com/CyeG2eg.jpg

But at least it doesn't look terrible, like it did my first try. :smalltongue:

CarpeGuitarrem
2015-03-07, 04:09 PM
I meant for it to be the full image, which looks like this (but bigger -- I tried to crop it so it all fit in my avatar box):
http://i.imgur.com/CyeG2eg.jpg

But at least it doesn't look terrible, like it did my first try. :smalltongue:
Confession: all I can see is Silver Chariot and Star Platinum taking a selfie. :smallbiggrin:

Codyage
2015-03-08, 03:16 AM
Part 3 Spoilers involving Hamon mainly on the next two episodes of the anime.

If I remember correctly, most of the anime uses of Hamon are not in the manga. Honestly the main complaint I hear about Hamon takes place in the next episodes with Darby and the whole coins in the water trick.

I do like how the anime is having Joseph use Hamon though. From a standpoint in the story, Joseph really should've been upping his Hamon skills, mainly because going after the main villain of part 3.

LaZodiac
2015-03-08, 10:33 AM
100%, the hamon uses in the anime are in the manga. The anime is the 100% more faithful adaptation I've ever seen.

Solse
2015-03-08, 12:27 PM
From what I've heard, the only thing that the anime cuts out are some *very* minor extra scenes that are not necessary. I also heard that there're two OVAs for Part 3, but they exclude lots of fights.

Also, "gewd".

LaZodiac
2015-03-08, 12:33 PM
From what I've heard, the only thing that the anime cuts out are some *very* minor extra scenes that are not necessary. I also heard that there're two OVAs for Part 3, but they exclude lots of fights.

Also, "gewd".

There are in fact two OVAs, and the first one basically ends where the second one picks up. But this new anime is showing basically every single thing. Even the things that are a little awkward.

I'm watching this series with a friend who's watching it blind and it's pretty great so far. Next episode is DARBY THE GAMBLER and is therefor one of the best episodes and one I've memorized >_>

Solse
2015-03-08, 02:16 PM
There are in fact two OVAs, and the first one basically ends where the second one picks up. But this new anime is showing basically every single thing. Even the things that are a little awkward.

I'm watching this series with a friend who's watching it blind and it's pretty great so far. Next episode is DARBY THE GAMBLER and is therefor one of the best episodes and one I've memorized >_>
The last two episodes (the first one in particular) were sorta ... yeah. I heard that the D'Arby fight was one of the best in the series, though, so I'm really hyped.

Also, apparently there's an English dub for the first three episodes of Stardust Crusaders. It's terrible. All of the characters sound like bad impressions of DBZ characters, with Jotaro in particular sounding like Sonic the Hedgehog. I love the voice acting in the original anime, and the dub gets rid of all of it. (Granted, I wasn't going to watch the dub -- IMO, subs are generally better except for shows like Cowboy Bebop, but I was just curious.)

LaZodiac
2015-03-08, 07:47 PM
The last two episodes (the first one in particular) were sorta ... yeah. I heard that the D'Arby fight was one of the best in the series, though, so I'm really hyped.

Also, apparently there's an English dub for the first three episodes of Stardust Crusaders. It's terrible. All of the characters sound like bad impressions of DBZ characters, with Jotaro in particular sounding like Sonic the Hedgehog. I love the voice acting in the original anime, and the dub gets rid of all of it. (Granted, I wasn't going to watch the dub -- IMO, subs are generally better except for shows like Cowboy Bebop, but I was just curious.)

I've heard the dub was good. They got Kanji from Persona 4 to do Jotaro...which is a really good fit.

Codyage
2015-03-09, 01:22 AM
100%, the hamon uses in the anime are in the manga. The anime is the 100% more faithful adaptation I've ever seen.

Went back and reread, and I guess I just forgot those instances. This improves Joseph in my eyes even more as my favorite JOJO.

Super psyched to see next weeks battle unfold in the anime, it is a GOOD fight. It also means we are that much closer to getting to Part 7.

Manga question to address what happens in the anime.

So, when we see the 9 cloaked figures leave Dio's Mansion, I am curious to who they all are. The reason I bring this up, because we know for a fact Anubis, and Pet Shop are not human. You could argue that Anubis could have been carried by someone, but since Pet Shop can't be there, who else could it be? IIRC, Hol Horse hasn't shown up yet to work with Oingo. My only guess it is possibly Vanilla Ice, or Darby. Unless they are going to reveal one of them is actually Pucci going home. Which I totally wouldn't mind. I enjoy the foreshadowing , like Jotaro reading the book in the barber shop.

Solse
2015-03-09, 06:31 AM
I've heard the dub was good. They got Kanji from Persona 4 to do Jotaro...which is a really good fit.

To each their own, I guess. I dunno, it was also the bad lipsynching, and the fact that after watching 28 episodes of the same voice actors, I got a bit thrown off at hearing different VAs in the same characters.

@Codyrage: Joseph is best JoJo no matter what. No question (unless that changes as I get further in the manga).

supermonkeyjoe
2015-03-09, 09:04 AM
I love this series so much, anime and manga and Joseph Joestar is one of my favourite characters in all media.

Seeing is this is a general JoJos thread is anyone currently keeping up to date with the latest part of the manga Jojolion? What are your thoughts on it?

LaZodiac
2015-03-09, 09:30 AM
Went back and reread, and I guess I just forgot those instances. This improves Joseph in my eyes even more as my favorite JOJO.

Super psyched to see next weeks battle unfold in the anime, it is a GOOD fight. It also means we are that much closer to getting to Part 7.

Manga question to address what happens in the anime.

So, when we see the 9 cloaked figures leave Dio's Mansion, I am curious to who they all are. The reason I bring this up, because we know for a fact Anubis, and Pet Shop are not human. You could argue that Anubis could have been carried by someone, but since Pet Shop can't be there, who else could it be? IIRC, Hol Horse hasn't shown up yet to work with Oingo. My only guess it is possibly Vanilla Ice, or Darby. Unless they are going to reveal one of them is actually Pucci going home. Which I totally wouldn't mind. I enjoy the foreshadowing , like Jotaro reading the book in the barber shop.

What foreshadowing was there on the book Jotaro was reading? I didn't catch it.

Also, concerning the person you mentioned in spoilers...that seems likely, I think. I don't think they'll do TOO much foreshadowing mind you, since like...High Priestess' user was still in her original manga outfit instead of looking like how it was decided she will always look like after the one Dreamcast fighting game. Which is simultaneously unfortunate and also a sign of just HOW faithful this series is.

Codyage
2015-03-09, 12:18 PM
What foreshadowing was there on the book Jotaro was reading? I didn't catch it.

Also, concerning the person you mentioned in spoilers...that seems likely, I think. I don't think they'll do TOO much foreshadowing mind you, since like...High Priestess' user was still in her original manga outfit instead of looking like how it was decided she will always look like after the one Dreamcast fighting game. Which is simultaneously unfortunate and also a sign of just HOW faithful this series is.

Foreshadowing/Spoilers for the manga.

http://i.imgur.com/wPSaYzC.png

http://41.media.tumblr.com/bbfc16e8e7df966d13a4481567d671cf/tumblr_nj050l0PFU1sk6rb9o2_1280.png

He appears to all ready be interested in his future career.

I love this series so much, anime and manga and Joseph Joestar is one of my favourite characters in all media.

Seeing is this is a general JoJos thread is anyone currently keeping up to date with the latest part of the manga Jojolion? What are your thoughts on it?

I am keeping up on it. It took a while to pull me in, but I am interested in what is going on. The part that really got me invested was well, beetles. I enjoyed the tactics involved. Of course the set up for the plot is fairly interesting. I won't say to much as to avoid spoilers, but I am still enjoying the series.

Also I am guessing anything in the current anime is okay to talk about, or should we spoil it/ put a warning on the first post?

Fri
2015-03-09, 12:29 PM
My main complain about stardust crusader is that, Joseph seems to forget that he had saved the world once already.

I don't care if he don't use hamon more, but you're a saviour of the world, Joseph! Act more like it!

I guess maybe age catches on anyone, even Joseph...

LaZodiac
2015-03-09, 01:11 PM
Foreshadowing/Spoilers for the manga.

http://i.imgur.com/wPSaYzC.png

http://41.media.tumblr.com/bbfc16e8e7df966d13a4481567d671cf/tumblr_nj050l0PFU1sk6rb9o2_1280.png

He appears to all ready be interested in his future career.

I am keeping up on it. It took a while to pull me in, but I am interested in what is going on. The part that really got me invested was well, beetles. I enjoyed the tactics involved. Of course the set up for the plot is fairly interesting. I won't say to much as to avoid spoilers, but I am still enjoying the series.

Also I am guessing anything in the current anime is okay to talk about, or should we spoil it/ put a warning on the first post?

AH! Yes, forgot that! And I think it's okay to talk about the current anime. Lets have it so that anything that hasn't been shown IN the new anime is still spoiled.

My main complain about stardust crusader is that, Joseph seems to forget that he had saved the world once already.

I don't care if he don't use hamon more, but you're a saviour of the world, Joseph! Act more like it!

Well on the one hand I get what you mean, on the other hand remember that Joseph's a guy who's main strategy is to run away until he can think up with something. He saved the world but he's not what you'd call BRAVE, comparatively.

Solse
2015-03-09, 03:04 PM

I dunno, the episodes devoted to his battles were pretty good, displaying his ability to think his way through a fight really well. The one with that growth-on-his-arm Stand was an especially good example of that, IMO. Besides, Joseph's main weapon was Hamon (as you mentioned), which can't harm Stands, and his own Stand is pretty crappy. For a guy deprived of his greatest weapon, he's doing pretty well.

AH! Yes, forgot that! And I think it's okay to talk about the current anime. Lets have it so that anything that hasn't been shown IN the new anime is still spoiled.
I second the motion.

Solse
2015-03-13, 05:23 PM
So, the new episode featuring D'Arby just released. I don't have any Crunchyroll guest passes, but with a little work, you can find some places that have the show available for free that are *totally* legal... :smalltongue:

Anyway, episode discussion. Spoilers for the current episode:

I read a bit of this chapter in the manga before deciding to wait until this episode came out. It astounds me how faithful to the manga the anime is. It's like, the only thing that the anime does differently is add animation and amazing art. I love it.
I'm liking D'Arby's shtick. Seems like a nice change of pace from all of the brawlers recently.
So, you and your three buddies, all of them pretty smart, with you having outwitted the perfect being and his cronies, don't realize that when a guy starts feeling up and down the cup that you're betting on, he's rigging it? Even I noticed that! :smallsigh: I expect better of you.
And, now it's time for a poker throwdown. I'm really hyped for next episode. So far, D'Arby's episode is living up to the hype.
Also, "GO AHEEEED, MISTUR JOESTERRR"

LaZodiac
2015-03-13, 07:18 PM
It appears you have liked the episode. The episode that in my opinion is on par with The Lovers episode. Here is the only appropriate response.

Goodo.

Fri
2015-03-13, 08:01 PM
On a related note, way back then I made this Stand Generator (http://orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/?gen=EWhgxDML)

Pretty limited, but I found it silly enough.

Solse
2015-03-13, 10:31 PM
Apparently I'm really good at controlling "rubbery cat". :smalleek:

ryuplaneswalker
2015-03-14, 07:41 AM
Your Stand is called Tower of White. Its power is that you are able to shoot shadowy dog. It also allows you to control mecha.

*blinks*

How did it know I was a Wheel of time fan?

*gets a baseball bat* We should smash it, just to be sure it is not skynet.

Solse
2015-03-14, 05:13 PM
I was unable to wait and splurged by reading the rest of the D'Arby fight.

That was amazing! I can see why everybody loved the fight so much. I heard that he comes back to challenge Jotaro to a match of videogames, though, so I look forward to that. But ... that was intense poker. The "fight" still was very good, even in the manga where tension couldn't be illustrated as well as the anime, what with the anime having the ability to control how long to linger on a specific shot, what music to use, etc.

LaZodiac
2015-03-14, 06:50 PM
I was unable to wait and splurged by reading the rest of the D'Arby fight.

That was amazing! I can see why everybody loved the fight so much. I heard that he comes back to challenge Jotaro to a match of videogames, though, so I look forward to that. But ... that was intense poker. The "fight" still was very good, even in the manga where tension couldn't be illustrated as well as the anime, what with the anime having the ability to control how long to linger on a specific shot, what music to use, etc.

Regarding the "return" of Darby, I'll just say this. During the comercial break info sheet they revealed that our friend here is Darby the Elder. Make of that what you will.

Solse
2015-03-14, 08:11 PM
Regarding the "return" of Darby, I'll just say this. During the comercial break info sheet they revealed that our friend here is Darby the Elder. Make of that what you will.

Makes sense. They'll have the young D'Arby be the gamer to go along with the technologically adept youngins trope.

Solse
2015-03-15, 10:05 PM
I just binged the rest of Stardust Crusaders. I can't wait for the anime to come out with all of these fights, as some (especially Pet Shop and Vanilla Ice) were really hard to follow in manga format.

I could hear the Stardust Crusaders butt-kicking music playing in my head when Jotaro got out from under the steamroller. And when he said "There's one simple reason you lost." And a lot of other times. :smallbiggrin: Also, Joseph master troll. :smalltongue:

LaZodiac
2015-03-16, 12:40 AM
I just binged the rest of Stardust Crusaders. I can't wait for the anime to come out with all of these fights, as some (especially Pet Shop and Vanilla Ice) were really hard to follow in manga format.

I could hear the Stardust Crusaders butt-kicking music playing in my head when Jotaro got out from under the steamroller. And when he said "There's one simple reason you lost." And a lot of other times. :smallbiggrin: Also, Joseph master troll. :smalltongue:

"There is one simple reason you lost. One simple, single reason. You really, really pissed me off."

Solse
2015-03-19, 08:52 PM
It's that time again ... only one day to the latest installment of JoJo Fridays (tm)! This episode is the continuation of the D'Arby the Gambler "fight", and it's really hype!