View Full Version : Can a living spell be a metamagicked spell?

daremetoidareyo
2015-03-07, 05:56 AM
You know...for hijinx

Silva Stormrage
2015-03-07, 06:06 AM
Not sure RAW but RAI I can't see a reason why not.

DrKerosene
2015-03-07, 06:45 AM
You know...for hijinx

If not, perhaps War Spells could be used instead of their mundane versions.

sideswipe
2015-03-07, 07:42 AM
If not, perhaps War Spells could be used instead of their mundane versions.

not something i am familiar with. war spells?

DrKerosene
2015-03-08, 12:24 PM
not something i am familiar with. war spells?

Dragon Magazine thing, I found a forum post that seems to go into detail:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?306567-War-Spells!-Discussion-and-Application

ezkajii
2015-03-08, 02:02 PM
Nothing in the RAW says it can't be a metamagic version of a spell. The only restriction is that it has to be a spell that creates an area or effect, and which doesn't produce a monster as its effect. Now the question is, if the living spell is created by a caster with metamagic reduction abilities, does that affect its stats? RAW don't state anything about that specifically; I would personally rule that all stats are derived from the minimum caster level necessary to cast the spell under normal circumstances, without metamagic reduction and the like, but I have no official text to support that.

WhamBamSam
2015-03-08, 02:45 PM
There are essentially no rules whatsoever when it comes to the creation of living spells, just on what spells can become living spells, which, as others have said say nothing preventing metamagiced spells from being used.

There is one PrC, the Spell Sovereign in Dragon Magazine 357, that can create temporary living spells and uses a (lowish level) living spell as a familiar. It would seem from my reading that you can use metamagic-modified spells for both, and that in fact you can use a metamagic to push the spell slot level above the maximum spell level for your familiar (as metamagic doesn't actually change the level of the spell). You might even be able to summon a living spell familiar modified by metamagic you don't have. It's a little sloppily written/half-baked, like a lot of Dragon Magazine material.