PDA

View Full Version : Looking for darkness, shadow related stuff (feats, magic, monsters, etc.)

NevinPL
2015-03-07, 06:35 AM
Beside "obvious" sources like SPC\MIC, ToM, or Dragon #322.

sideswipe
2015-03-07, 07:41 AM
LoM? most abberritions live in dark places.

shadowcraft mage from... i can't remember so either of the completes i think.

shadow dancer, shadow lord and anything else with shadow in the name.

Troacctid
2015-03-07, 01:32 PM
Is Drow of the Underdark an obvious source? It has lots of great darkness feats.

Eloel
2015-03-07, 01:39 PM
Take a look at Shadow Weave stuff in Forgotten Realms.

NevinPL
2015-03-07, 03:19 PM
LoM? most abberritions live in dark places.
Yeah, it got that very nice Shadow template, but OS nonetheless.

shadowcraft mage from... i can't remember so either of the completes i think.
RoS. And although the PrC itself isn't quite what I want, this is what I'm talking about: Dwarfs, Gnomes, so ones expecting Stone Full-plate, and Alchemy, and wham - Shadow shenanigans :D

...shadow dancer...
Core books are obviously obvious.

shadow lord and anything else with shadow in the name.
Unapproachable East has another very nice template (shadow-walker), but like before - obvious.

Is Drow of the Underdark an obvious source? It has lots of great darkness feats.
Yes, like the FR Underdark, although the Dragon issue I've mentioned, got me thinking about some Drow related official adventures, maybe Dungeon. Anyone seen something dark, and shadowy there ?

Take a look at Shadow Weave stuff in Forgotten Realms.
Did. Led me to ToM. So, OS.

Thank you, and keep them coming.

Maglubiyet
2015-03-07, 03:57 PM
Manual of the Planes - shadow creature template

Races of Faerun - shades

WhamBamSam
2015-03-07, 04:04 PM
There's the whole Shadow Hand discipline in ToB and the Shadow Sun Ninja PrC which specializes in it (along with Setting Sun), Crinti Shadow Marauder (the less sexy of the two Shadow Pounce PrCs) is in Shining South, there are Shadow Dragons in Draconomicon, (the PGtF web enhancement stuff probably applies to them as well) which are pretty cool (though they're a bit under-CRed even by dragon standards at a few age categories), and MoI has the Umbral Disciple which is a sort of cool shadow-themed PrC.

Silva Stormrage
2015-03-07, 09:51 PM
If you don't mind homebrew there is Realm of Chaos's Descent of Shadows (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?74519-Descent-of-Shadows-Project-Shadow-Returns) project. It has plenty of shadow/darkness stuff.

NevinPL
2015-03-10, 06:32 AM
Manual of the Planes - shadow creature template...
1. Since I know that there's a Plane of Shadow - obvious. Planar Handbook too.
Yeah, it got that very nice Shadow template... Book titles are different, but it's the same template.

Races of Faerun - shades
Got to it via LoD, or vice versa, so I already know about it.

There's the whole Shadow Hand discipline in ToB...
I don't use ToB - it's too confusing\"confusing". Don't want to either.

...Crinti Shadow Marauder (the less sexy of the two Shadow Pounce PrCs)
Yeah, standard Pounce is sweet too. Although, IIRC, officially only available to lions, or via PrC's (no, the "handicapped" Two-Weapon Pounce doesn't count) :)

...Shadow Dragons in Draconomicon, (the PGtF web enhancement stuff probably applies to them as well) which are pretty cool...
Are you kidding ? The shadow one maybe didn't have an awesome name like the black one (Nizidramanii'yt), but you could make that sweet light armor from it. So I remember that they exist, so obvious.
And the stuff from PGtF updates stuff from Monster Compendium: Monsters of Faerūn, from where they come, since both are about Faerūn, not DnD in general :)

...MoI has the Umbral Disciple which is a sort of cool shadow-themed PrC.
Nice find.

If you don't mind homebrew...
I love them. Brew sometimes myself (moonlight or not).

...there is Realm of Chaos's Descent of Shadows (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?74519-Descent-of-Shadows-Project-Shadow-Returns) project. It has plenty of shadow/darkness stuff.
Yes it does. Nice find.

Thank you. Keep them coming.

Eldan
2015-03-10, 08:53 AM
This might be interesting, then:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?157490-PrC-Contest-XX-In-the-Shadows

Maglubiyet
2015-03-10, 12:18 PM
Maybe you should have just made a list of everything you had instead of asking an open-ended question then shooting people down for trying to help you. Just saying.

NevinPL
2015-03-10, 06:04 PM
This might be interesting, then...
Still looking through RoC's stuff, but will look. Thank you.

Maybe you should have just made a list of everything you had instead of asking an open-ended question then shooting people down for trying to help you. Just saying.
I know I'm not making this easy, and I'm sorry for that, but providing a list of what I have won't help - I didn't read them all\not fully, and probably forgot a lot.
If this helps, then as I've mentioned, Dungeon Magazine, and official Drow related adventures (if they exist), are 100% "undiscovered" by me.
Eberron is a "no go" as a whole.
Non-WotC materials are a go.

atemu1234
2015-03-10, 08:17 PM

Plus, I managed to make a Drow riding a black dragon, who spammed darkness, using his ability to see through magical darkness (courtesy of a feat in the aforementioned book) who angered the party to no end.

Just to Browse
2015-03-10, 08:29 PM
Plus, I managed to make a Drow riding a black dragon, who spammed darkness, using his ability to see through magical darkness (courtesy of a feat in the aforementioned book) who angered the party to no end.

That's one of the best "I'm Helping!" builds to play.
Party: WE CAN'T SEE ANYTHING
Player: But now you have concealment! Attacks miss you 20% of the time!
Party: THEY HAVE CONCEALMENT TOO AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH

Blackhawk748
2015-03-10, 08:34 PM

Im stealing this for a BBEG's Lieutenant, this is just to awesome.

Troacctid
2015-03-10, 08:41 PM
That's one of the best "I'm Helping!" builds to play.
Party: WE CAN'T SEE ANYTHING
Player: But now you have concealment! Attacks miss you 20% of the time!
Party: THEY HAVE CONCEALMENT TOO AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH

Hey, darkness provides shadowy illumination. That's the same light provided by a candle. If you cast it in total darkness, you're actually reducing their concealment!

Best thing to do, of course, is move the darkness around so it conceals your allies, but not your enemies.

NevinPL
2015-03-11, 04:44 AM
I've homeruled that Drow can see in their own, racially magical darkness, and have a nice feat to see in one created by others.
Why ? Because I think it's "strange" that they, by default, live in darkness, can see in darkness, can create magical darkness, but can't see in it.
Sort of "strange" like whales or dolphins breathing oxygen in air, not water.

ShurikVch
2015-03-12, 08:44 AM
Some more stuff. (Sorry if some of it is obvious, or not exactly fit)

Nightcloak PrC (CDiv)

Feats:
Shadowform Familiar (CoR)
Shadowstrike (CoR)
Shadow Veil (CMage)
Nightbringer Initiate (FoE)
Shadow Heritage (Planar Handbook)
Mastery of Twisted Shadow (PGE)
Deepening Darkness (RoF)
Shadow Shield (RoF)
Shadow Song (RoF)
Shadowbound (Dr#319)
Enhanced Shadow Reality (Dr#325)
Shadow Puppet Jutsu (Dr#342)

Monsters:
Tylor, Shadow (Bestiary of Krynn)
Veserab
Krinth
Darkness Given Hunger
Demon, Shadow Demon
Graz'zt, the Dark Prince
Rhyxali, the demon Princess of Shadow
Dendar the Night Serpent
Krinth
Shadow Eft (Complete Psionic)
Shadowen (Dr#286)
Shadow Demon (Dr#292) //different from BoVD
Veserab (Dr#299)
Shadovig (Dr#299)
Du'lora Quori (Dark Fury) (Dr#324)
Nightmare Eidolon (Dr#324)
Spellshadow (Dr#324)
Nightseed (Dr#330)
Umbragen (Dr#330)
Gloom Dragon (Dr#344)
Ogre Umbramage (Dr#349)
Fiend, Umbral Gloom (Dr#353)
Shadestriker (Dr#357)
Nightswimmer (Du#92)
Slow Shadow (Du#112)
Shadowperson (DCS)
Gloom
Umbral Blot (Blackball)
Caller in Darkness (Expanded Psionics Handbook)
Umbral Spy (Forge of War)
Darkweaver
Shadar-Kai
Shadow Asp
Shadow Giant
Nightshade, Nighthaunt (Lost Empires of Faerūn)
Cloaker, Shadowcloak Elder
Hound of the Gloom
Symbiont, Shadow Sibling
Urdark
Ephemera, Umbral Banyan (Manual of the Planes)
Ghirrash
Khumat
Thaskor
Darktentacles
Nightmare Beast
Shadow Spider
Ancient Night Twist
Gloom Golem
Shadesteel Golem
Skiurid (Monster Manual IV)
Shadow Flayer (Monster Manual V)
Darkenbeast
Bat, Deep, Night Hunter
Shadow Jelly
Shadowshyft
Shadowscale Marauder (Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave)
Shadow Simulacrum (template)
Shadowslain
Shadow-Bound (archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030728a)
Film of Night (archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20021028a)

Kingdoms of Kalamar:
Darklight Wizard PrC (Villain Design Handbook 3.5)
Darkling Snatcher
Demon, Foulpitch
Shadowcat
Shadow Demon (Midnight's Terror) //different from BoVD or Dr#292
Shadeling (template) (Lost Tomb of Kruk-Ma-Kali 3.5)

Ravenloft:
Darkling (template) (Champions of Darkness)
Lesser Dream Spawn (Shadow Morph)
Living Tattoo, Dark Man
Midnight Cat
Nightmare, Dread
Shadow Asp
Unicorn, Shadow
Shadow Hunter (Masque of the Red Death)
Shadow, Necropolitan (Ravenloft Gazetteer: Volume II)
Shadow, Salt (Ravenloft Gazetteer: Volume IV)
Sith (Shades)
Waff (Shadow Dryad)

Legend of the Five Rings:

Shadow Walker PrC
Darkness Spawn (template)
Shadow Beast
Shadow Samurai (template)
Shadowlands Madman (template)
Night Moths (Fortunes & Winds)

NevinPL
2015-03-12, 12:28 PM
Damn, ShurikVch, you put a truckload of effort in it (OS, or not).

Thank you.

Edit
Looked through some of RoC stuff. Damn, with a capital "D".

I was looking for something to "spice up" my shadow thingy, and I've ended with 16 course dinner, just from one person :D
Guess that's that.
Thank you all.

ShurikVch
2015-03-19, 07:46 AM
A little bit more:

Shadowcrafter PrC (Underdark)

Dark Companion, Hexblade ACF (PH2)

"The Umbragen" article in Dragon #330 have bunch of related stuff, including feats and ACF

You may use "Living Spell" template on some [darkness] or (shadow) spells

Dragon #339, pg. 43 - Shadow Mirror wondrous item

Note: Shadowlands Madman template, at first glance, may appear unrelated, but check the Taint Powers - Billowing Darkness, Unholy Vision, and Child of Darkness... Better?

3rd party D20 stuff:
Dread Shadow (Advanced Bestiary)
Lel, Marquise of the Night (Book of Fiends Vol 1, Legions of Hell)
Shadow parasite (Necromantic Lore, A Bestiary Of Undead Creatures)
Queen of Shadows class (Path Of Shadow)
Dark Creeper //(slightly) different from Fiend Folio
Dark Stalker //(slightly) different from Fiend Folio
Rat, Shadow
Shadow, Lesser
Wolf, Shadow
Swarm, Shadow Rat (The Tome Of Horrors III)
Kulumar - aberration which steal shadows (The Year's Best D20 - Volume 1, originally
published in Denizens of Avadnu)

Also:
Giant, Shadow // different from Fiend Folio
Psi-Shadow
Shadow, Grand (Denizens of the Inner Planes)
Lesser Night Dragon (http://www.pandius.com/lsrndrag.html)
Greater Night Dragon (http://www.pandius.com/grtndrag.html)
Shadow Symbiont (http://www.pandius.com/shsymbnt.html)
Gaunt (template) (Bestiary of the Realms, Volume 1 Link (http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/realms_bestiary_v1.pdf.zip))
Fiend, Umbral Gloom
Fiend, Hordling - take note of powers "Spell-like ability" and "Bonus feat". Select, for example, Darkness and No Light SLAs, and Magic In The Blood and Intensify Darkness as bonus feats - now that particular Hordling is very darkness-related
Link (http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/realms_bestiary_v2.pdf.zip)
Shadowy Triceratops Skeleton (http://grandwiki.wikidot.com/shadowy-triceratops-skeleton)
Umbral Dragon (http://grandwiki.wikidot.com/umbral-dragon)
Umbreach (http://grandwiki.wikidot.com/mstumbreach)
Nightling (http://grandwiki.wikidot.com/nightling)
Dark Slayer (http://grandwiki.wikidot.com/dark-slayer)

NevinPL
2015-04-20, 03:40 AM
A little self help:

Orb Wraith - City of the Spider Queen,
Shadowlight oil, Shadow Shard (thing that creates mentioned earlier Shadowslain) - Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

KillingAScarab
2015-04-20, 09:00 AM
You might check out chapter 7 of The Book of Roguish Luck for the more thought-out sorcerer/wizard spells in there, maybe shadow jump.

Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Shadowsworn 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V
Casting Time: Standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Instantaneous

You may move from one shadow directly to another within medium range (100 feet + 10 feet/level) and within line of sight, without passing through the intervening space. After making a shadow jump you can't take any other actions until your next turn.

You can bring along any object you are able to carry. You cannot bring other creatures along with you.

There are quite a few things which are very non-stanadard, though, such as shadow hands using a semicircle for it's area, rather than a cone.

Avoid the Shadowsworn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279059-The-worst-Open-Game-Content-base-core-classes) character class. It is disappointing.

Shining Wrath
2015-04-20, 09:06 AM
I haven't seen a mention of Book of Vile Darkness yet, there's a variety of dark and creepy stuff in there.

NevinPL
2015-04-21, 05:38 AM
@KillingAScarab
Nice. Was looking for "shadow teleport" at low levels.

I haven't seen a mention of Book of Vile Darkness yet, there's a variety of dark and creepy stuff in there.
1. Obvious :)
2. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18947183&postcount=18

KillingAScarab
2015-04-21, 06:38 AM
@KillingAScarab
Nice. Was looking for "shadow teleport" at low levels.I would also recommend Slither, which is a basically a shadow-themed, one-round gaseous form, but it has some odd wording about what happens if the spell ends when you're in an enclosed space which I don't agree with. Instead, here is Enter Shadow.

Transmutation
Level: Shadowsworn 3, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: S, M
Casting Time: Standard action
Range: Personal or touch
Target: You or one creature plus one creature/four levels
Duration: One minute/level (D)
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You or creatures you touch enter another creature's shadow and become incorporeal. By joining that creature's shadow, you and the other subjects that enter its shadow become part of the host creature, lingering within its shadow. If the spell is cast from a hidden location, the host creature does not notice what has happened if you make a successful Hide check (opposed by its Spot check). A creature that does not want to be part of this spell is entitled to a Fortitude save to negate the effect.

You can follow the host creature as long as the duration lasts and there is some darkness available. If the host creature ever enters an area of bright illumination (such as an open sky at noon or the area of a daylight spell), the spell ends immediately and the host creature's shadow ejects all creatures. In this case, each of the ejected creatures must make a Fortitude save (DC 16) or be stunned for 1 round.

If you wish to leave the host creature's shadow before the spell's duration expires, you can do so at will, but unless you make a successful Hide check (opposed by its Spot check), the host notices the change in its shadow. You determine in what order creatures enter or leave a host creature's shadow. The host is entitled to an attack of opportunity against any creatures leaving its shadow after the first.

You can cast shadow jump (see page 61) from within the host creature, to simplify the process of leaving its shadow. Doing so moves you (but not other creatures) to the target of the jump.

Material Component: One drop of frozen or liquid shadow per creature affected (worth 50 gp each).I'm curious how you get line of sight for shadow jump when you're in someone's shadow. The writer could have also added to the list of light sources which spoil the spell anything brighter than a candle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/exploration.htm#visionAndLight).

The material component seems a little silly, but it isn't as weird as slither's; you would have to first make a wooden statue of yourself, burn it, then draw a picture of yourself with the ink made from your statue ashes.

SangoProduction
2015-04-21, 08:52 AM
Look at the book of roguish luck. That's where I'm getting the darkness/shadow spells for my character.

Flickerdart
2015-04-21, 09:45 AM
You mention Tome of Magic as being obvious, but there is a Cityscape web enhancement (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307a) for Shadowcasters that I don't know if you know about. It has some pretty rockin' shadow magics.

ShurikVch
2015-04-21, 09:48 AM
Wraithform - 4th level Sor/Wiz spell (from Dragon #348): like a Gaseous Form (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/gaseousForm.htm), but you move with your normal speed, and look like a wraith (mindless undead fooled automatically)

Pluto!
2015-04-21, 03:04 PM
It's not obvious what's obvious. >_>

In case these aren't, I suspect this thread and the Path of Shadows thread should talk. In a similar vein, Bastion Press's Into the Black is all about underground adventures, including some darkness elements. And if I recall correctly, some of the more interesting sub levels from the Champions of Valor web enhancement were darkness-themed (the 50% miss chance monk and the Paladin with Shadowdancer HiPS as an Ex ability).

NevinPL
2015-04-21, 04:59 PM
The material component seems a little silly...
I've homeruled that spells with casting time full round or less, don't have to use them (sans ones in which material component is an "integral component", like Symbol, or Magic Circle against X).
I mean, it's just silly\embarrassing when a respectable Wizard, needs to rummage through pockets, looking for a rotten egg, or a bat poop, just to cast a spell (yeah, I know - Eschew Materials, but that's not the point).
You can still use material components for them, but the casting time goes +1 full round, the CL and\or DC goes +1 too.

P.S.
You post "full" stuff from that book. Is it OGL, because I can't seem to find it anywhere beside its publisher, and Amazon ?

...Cityscape web enhancement (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307a)...
Seen it too. "Courtesy" of one of Shadowcaster Handbooks :)

It's not obvious what's obvious. >_>
Well, WotC books with darkness, shado in title are obvious. As the things I've mentioned earlier :)

...Path of Shadows...
Eberron\PF is a no go.

...sub levels from the Champions of Valor web enhancement were darkness-themed...
Darkness in my shiny, goo..., valorous book ? ?! It's more likely than you think.
Nice find. And something for my Intimidator idea too ^_^
Thank you.

Janthkin
2015-04-21, 05:23 PM
Scraping the bottom of my own personal barrel of Shadows, I find the Rod of Shadowblending (Complete Mage). But that's more about providing Shadows to Illusionists.

Jowgen
2015-04-21, 05:52 PM
Have you checked the Wyrmshadows of the Drow adventure module? Amongst other things it has special rules for a Drow Half-Shadow Dragon.

KillingAScarab
2015-04-21, 08:27 PM
P.S.
You post "full" stuff from that book. Is it OGL, because I can't seem to find it anywhere beside its publisher, and Amazon ?Yes, I checked to make sure, the spells from The Book of Roguish Luck are listed as Open Gaming License content. It wasn't the most popular book, as it was Malhavoc Press and not by Monte Cook. I was able to purchase it in a store for 15 USD less than the cover price. You can get a PDF on DriveThruRPG.com for 10 USD less than the cover price, if you are so inclined.

EugeneVoid
2015-04-22, 10:42 AM
Telflammar Shadowlord? Its from Unapproachable East, and its setting specific, but its wicked good

tadkins
2015-04-23, 04:07 AM
Figure I'd ask here since this topic seems appropriate. Are there any cool options to build a "shadow" type druid? Had an image in mind of a druid whose preferred wildshape form is a black panther shrouded in magical darkness, pouncing upon his foes like a black cloud of death. Would be pretty good at the stealth thing when it's called for, as well as combat.

WeaselGuy
2015-04-23, 05:19 AM
Figure I'd ask here since this topic seems appropriate. Are there any cool options to build a "shadow" type druid? Had an image in mind of a druid whose preferred wildshape form is a black panther shrouded in magical darkness, pouncing upon his foes like a black cloud of death. Would be pretty good at the stealth thing when it's called for, as well as combat.

That sounds like a pretty solid concept. This is probably a question for eggyknack, but how do racial features and templates work on a shapeshifted druid?

tadkins
2015-04-23, 12:06 PM
That sounds like a pretty solid concept. This is probably a question for eggyknack, but how do racial features and templates work on a shapeshifted druid?

Thanks. :) That was actually my first thought, just slapping a Dark template onto a druid and calling it a day. Wasn't sure if that would work though, and I figure there might be other options to expand on that.

WeaselGuy
2015-04-23, 12:18 PM
Thanks. :) That was actually my first thought, just slapping a Dark template onto a druid and calling it a day. Wasn't sure if that would work though, and I figure there might be other options to expand on that.

Well, looking at Polymorph (which Wild Shape references) and Alter Self (which polymorph references), I deduce that you retain any supernatural and spell-like abilities native to your normal form, but it doesn't mention anything about skills.

tadkins
2015-04-23, 02:04 PM
Well, looking at Polymorph (which Wild Shape references) and Alter Self (which polymorph references), I deduce that you retain any supernatural and spell-like abilities native to your normal form, but it doesn't mention anything about skills.

I suppose the question would be, would a Dark templated druid who uses Wildshape be considered a Dark animal as well? And if so, would the stealth bonuses of Dark stack up with the stealth bonuses of a Leopard (from the Srd, which says that the statblock can be used for any medium sized cat, including a panther)?

Janthkin
2015-04-23, 03:49 PM
I suppose the question would be, would a Dark templated druid who uses Wildshape be considered a Dark animal as well? And if so, would the stealth bonuses of Dark stack up with the stealth bonuses of a Leopard (from the Srd, which says that the statblock can be used for any medium sized cat, including a panther)?A wild-shaped Druid is never type "Animal," unless it started out as an Animal; Wild Shape doesn't change the Type of the creature using it. (And actually, since the errata (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/files/PHBErrata02062006.zip), Wild Shape doesn't function as Polymorph, either: it's treated as the "alternate form special ability" from the MM, p. 305.)

NevinPL
2015-05-17, 07:00 AM
Have you checked the Wyrmshadows of the Drow adventure module? Amongst other things it has special rules for a Drow Half-Shadow Dragon.
The DoF WE ? Yes, I did.

Telflammar Shadowlord? Its from Unapproachable East, and its setting specific, but its wicked good

shadow lord and anything else with shadow in the name.
Unapproachable East has another very nice template (shadow-walker), but like before - obvious.
:)
As for it being setting specific, Olidammara fits very well, after all they share some of domains, portfolio, and even have similar holy symbols.
Erebus is fine too.