PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Dwarves.

stolenchariot
2007-04-09, 02:18 PM
Arcane Dwarves (Tentative name)
Long ago, the gods unleashed a cataclysm of fierce storms and meteorites upon their decadent world. One such meteorite struck the mountains of Eingard, home of the world’s dwarves. The dwarves dwelling there were imbued with arcane prowess, and sharpened intellect while causing muscular decay. This gave rise to a shift in Dwarven culture, leaning more towards scholarship than combat.

Personality: Arcane dwarves are astute and proper, but they tend to be reclusive as most of their lives are spent in study.

Physical Description: Arcane dwarves have pale skin, range from three to four feet high, and weigh between 150 and 200 pounds.

Alignment: Arcane dwarves tend to be of lawful alignment.

Lands: Garheim mountains, or any area near a large university or library

Religion: Most Dwarves tend to worship deities of learning or magic.

Language: Arcane dwarves speak an archaic dialect of Dwarven.

==Player Characters==

+2 int -2 str
humanoid
medium size
20ft
+2 to will saves against spells or spell-like effects
+2 to fortitude saves against poison
+2 competance bonuses to spellcraft and knowledge (arcana)
+2 competance bonus to appraise checks made to identify magical items or reagents and +2 to craft checks used to make components for magical items.
read magic 1/day, identify 1/week
dark vision 60ft.
stonecunning
Automatic languages: dwarven, draconic, common
Bonus Languages: terran, infernal, gnome, celestial, giant
Favored Class: Wizard

Neko
2007-04-09, 02:36 PM
So they don't have any of the dwarf abilities like darkvision or sturdyness or such? Just wondering. Looks kinda neat though... I'm not that great a judge since I dont know how things balance out all to well.

stolenchariot
2007-04-09, 02:39 PM
I forgot to include dark vision and sturdiness. I'll fix it, and I'm wondering what to include to make up for the loss of bonuses against giants and goblinoids.

Neko
2007-04-09, 02:46 PM
maybe something dealing with magically inclined species? do they have the stonecunning too? or lost it as well? If they lost that maybe replace with some sort of arcane cunning?

stolenchariot
2007-04-09, 02:51 PM
I could keep stone cunning. It would make sense because they still dwell in mountails. I think I could denote a bonus to apraise checks against magical items.

Neko
2007-04-09, 02:59 PM
I could keep stone cunning. It would make sense because they still dwell in mountails. I think I could denote a bonus to apraise checks against magical items.

that could work. Makes sense to keep stonecunning but to change the appraise over to magical things

Jayabalard
2007-04-09, 03:14 PM
I forgot to include dark vision and sturdiness. I'll fix it, and I'm wondering what to include to make up for the loss of bonuses against giants and goblinoids.Since you've described them as weak and weedy they should probably not be sturdy like other dwarves.

But you could replace their fighting abilities against goblinoids, and their sturdiness with some minor spell like abilities, like the gnome illusions.

I've never personally be a big fan of wizard dwarves; I've always felt that some of the odder forms of magic fit them better, rune magic especially, but that's completely my personal preference.

stolenchariot
2007-04-09, 03:17 PM
I replaced sturdiness with read magic and identify 1/day.

Neko
2007-04-09, 03:18 PM
hmmm rune magic would make alot of sense with dwarves and stones.... maybe even have their spellbook be like some sort of stone one or something strange like that.

stolenchariot
2007-04-09, 03:20 PM
I was thinking on playing up the arcane rune spell, but I want to leave other options open for classes, although the strength and charisma penaltieslimit practical options.

Neko
2007-04-09, 03:29 PM
could always role up a new baseclass that is tailored to them better and list that as their favored class.

stolenchariot
2007-04-09, 03:32 PM
What sort of class are you proposing?

Neko
2007-04-09, 03:35 PM
Not exactly sure. maybe some sort of spellcaster that uses runes, gems and stone tablets or something of that sort. A class that would fit the arcane dwarfs. Maybe limit the spell list to be of only a few schools or types of magic. Maybe instead of a spellbook have a rune book made up of thing sheets of stone bound together or such. Just some thoughts.

stolenchariot
2007-04-09, 04:09 PM
I could work one out. Perhaps a Geomancer class focusing on transmutation and divination?

Neko
2007-04-09, 04:19 PM
I could work one out. Perhaps a Geomancer class focusing on transmutation and divination?

yeah.. maybe with some evocation perhaps.

stolenchariot
2007-04-09, 04:24 PM
I think earthquake is definitely a must. I need some ideas for non spellcasting benefits of the class though. PErhaps something like a shadowdancer's shadows only with elementals?

Neko
2007-04-09, 04:48 PM
I think earthquake is definitely a must. I need some ideas for non spellcasting benefits of the class though. PErhaps something like a shadowdancer's shadows only with elementals?

yeah would probabl make sense.. maybe make sure they have the spells like stone to flesh and what not.. and the move earth spells

stolenchariot
2007-04-09, 04:56 PM
I'm going to look over some of my sourcebooks now and see any abilities I could use.

stolenchariot
2007-04-09, 05:39 PM
I was thinking of using some of the abilities stonelords from Complete Warrior get. They fit in nicely.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-09, 05:54 PM
i dont think they need a base class, since there are a ton of glyph and gem using PrC's. Just make wizard the base class and add fluff

stolenchariot
2007-04-09, 06:01 PM
Thank you for the feedback everybody.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-09, 06:07 PM
i merely spoke up becuase i dont think you need to go to all the work to makea whole new base class for them, thats just me though

stolenchariot
2007-04-09, 06:12 PM
On another note, I was thinking of creating some other racial variants for a future campaign. I'm open to ideas, though I already decided gnomes will not be a player race due to them being abnormally powerful.

Nebo_
2007-04-09, 09:12 PM
I think you've made them too good as a wizard race. The +2 normal dwarves get on saves is powerful enough as it is, adding another +2 on that is really powerful. If you're going to say that they have muscular decay, then take the Con bonus away too. Identify as a spell like ability is also probably too good, because it ignores the 100gp material component. Maybe change that to 1/week. The +4 on fort saves against poison doesn't match your fluff, why are they better at resisting poisons than normal dwarves?

stolenchariot
2007-04-09, 09:51 PM
dwarves have the save bonuses against poisons too.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-09, 09:55 PM
i agree with Nebo, wizards and arcane class's have higher will saves, plus there really is no fluff to explain why they would posses such saves, even if normal dwarves have it.

stolenchariot
2007-04-09, 09:59 PM
I fixed it, but since I removed the constitution bonus, are the modifiers underpowering?

Innis Cabal
2007-04-09, 10:03 PM
well if they are more scholarly why would they lose charisma? Are they gruff and coarse like their less educated kin? I think you can get rid of the -2 cha

stolenchariot
2007-04-09, 10:07 PM
Do you think their education would give a bonus to cha, or just nullify the penalty?

Innis Cabal
2007-04-10, 08:27 PM
nullify it stright out, unless they were taught how to be noble and posied then no cha should be given

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-04-10, 08:40 PM
funny, I myself had made a arcane dwarf type. It is a bit different, as it is not a subrace, but the main race. I also made a bunch of barbarian dwarves. I practically took every stereotype and killed it. I will post my dwarf later on a different "Races of Inris" chapter though.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-10, 08:41 PM
i hardly see how a barbarian dwarf anti-sterotypical but thats me

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-04-10, 08:58 PM
Dwarves are usually lawful. Tick tock fighting. This ones a bloody whirlwind.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-10, 09:05 PM
it depends on the world really i guess,

Neko
2007-04-11, 08:09 AM
Yeah I've played plenty of chaotic dwarves.. Had a barbarian one myself once... wore a kilt and was nasty in a fight... like totally ripped an enemy he should have needed help on to shreds

stolenchariot
2007-04-11, 08:46 PM
I was planning this variant to be the base race for a campaign I was planning. I might allow the more 'traditional' dwarves as a combat oriented alternative though.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-11, 08:49 PM
might be a good idea

stolenchariot
2007-08-10, 01:25 PM
I decided to bump this since it's been a few months. I think i have most of the flaws beat out though.