PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Smilodon (Saber Toothed Tiger) Skeleton?

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-07, 02:00 PM
Hey guys, I have a question about statting a new character in my campaign. The evil cleric PC just cast animate dead on a saber-toothed tiger and turned it into a skeleton. I gave her some very rough stats for the game last night but now I need some better stats. So, I have a few questions:

The tiger loses all its skills and feats but gets Improved Initiative, right? What about its special attacks like pounce, rake, improved grab, and devastating critical? Or its special qualities like low-light vision and scent? What are its saves? Does it still get a racial bonus to balance, hide, and move silently? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Oh, and by the way that cleric just hit level 6 and is looking for a good feat. Thanks!

Flickerdart
2015-03-07, 04:01 PM
All special attacks are gone. All special qualities are gone and replaced with the skeleton special qualities. All skills are gone (more than just the bonuses - a skeleton "has no skills" at all). The MM entry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/skeleton.htm) has a formula for saves (poor Ref and Fort, good Will).

KillianHawkeye
2015-03-07, 08:57 PM
Pretty much what Flickerdart said, but I'd make an argument for letting it keep Augmented Critical. That seems like it should have been a special quality rather than a special attack to me, at it would fall under the "improve its melee or ranged attacks" exception of the skeleton template.

EDIT: If the Cleric like to create undead a lot, there are some feats in Libris Mortis that help with that like Corpsecrafter and the other feats that require it.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-08, 12:49 AM
Thanks! This is pretty helpful.