PDA

View Full Version : Body slots for weapon enchantments

HurinTheCursed
2015-03-07, 02:26 PM
Hello folks,

I'm looking for a RAW way for my character to have a secondary spellblade weapon with warning and eager enchantments which means held and wielded even outside of combat situation. However my character is using 2-handed weapons so dual wielding is not an option.
I would like it not to take item slots such as gloves, bracers... But something my character wouldn't have to drop to get his two handed weapon.
He already uses a menacing armour and an animated shield.
Knee blade, dagger in shield sheath ?

Knee Blade

Held within the greaves of a suit of armor, a knee blade extends with a quick upward thrust of the knee.
The flat of the blade rests against the bearer’s thigh, allowing for full range of movement.
Treat a knee blade as a short sword
CS p110

Bronk
2015-03-08, 08:00 AM
You could look into further enchanting your animated shield as a shield bashing weapon, then adding warning and eager. The only obstacle would be that normally it would need to be masterwork both as a shield and as a weapon, but maybe it already is or you can work it out with your DM somehow.

There's also the 'Fanged Ring', which is enchanted as a weapon, 'serpent ring' which can act as a weapon, or the 'Necklace of Natural Attacks'.

It seems like you're concerned about your character looking dangerous while not fighting, otherwise you could just walk around with your two handed weapon in one hand all day. If you aren't, you might look into adding Shield Spikes to your shield, and getting the weapon enhancements that way, or putting Armor Spikes on whatever armor you're using and enchanting those. Those are always considered wielded while your armor or shield is being worn, although you'd want to talk to your DM about how the shield spikes would work while the shield is animated.

Darrin
2015-03-08, 11:07 AM
I'm looking for a RAW way for my character to have a secondary spellblade weapon with warning and eager enchantments which means held and wielded even outside of combat situation.

You mention the knee blade, which answers your own question... how is the knee blade not working for you?

Are you wearing medium or heavy armor? If so, then you automatically have two gauntlets. They were weapons and taking a hand off your two-handed weapon is a free action. If gauntlets aren't "weapon-y" enough, buy two spiked gauntlets.

Also:
Spiked shield
Armor spikes or netcutter spikes (Races of the Wild).
Dwarven Buckler Axe x2 (Races of Stone)
Boot blade x2 (Complete Scoundrel)
Elbow blade x2 (Complete Scoundrel)
Sleeve blade x2 (Complete Scoundrel)

Counting the gauntlets, that's a dozen weapons you can enchant and be considered wielding while still swinging around a two-handed weapon.

We can add Improved Unarmed Strike with several magic items:

Bracers of Striking (1310 GP, Magic of Faerun)
Ring of Might (4000 GP, Magic of Faerun)
Fanged Ring (10000 GP, Dragon Magic)

Also:

Horned Helm (8000 GP, MIC) adds a gore attack if you want one.

We can add weapon enhancements with a Necklace of Natural Weapons (Savage Species) or the slightly renamed Necklace of Natural Attacks (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060707a).

All of these weapons can be enchanted as Spellbades or with Warning/Eager.

However my character is using 2-handed weapons so dual wielding is not an option.

Actually, you can TWF with a two-handed weapon. TWF OffHandbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279079).

HurinTheCursed
2015-03-09, 06:48 PM
Indeed Bronk, my character mixes good-aligned look elements with more scary ones to look dangerous while sporting good colors.

Thanks Darrin, that link was... handy !

My character has a natural gore attack, armour spikes, a shield, gaunlets. could he use it in secondary attacks ? Can one add weapon enchantments on a non-weapon wondrous item ?

The problems I have is that I'm unsure the enchanted shield spike counts as wielded. If it does, since it is made out of ironwood, I won't have un-masterwork problems.

Then, the knee blade takes no slot but counts as wielded only if it is actiivated which requires a move action. Would there be a problem keeping it unsheathed ?

And don't gauntlets or spiked gauntlets take the gloves slot ?

I'm not sure how to enchant armour spikes since I have the menacing enchantment but netcutter spikes would work for sure as wielded, wouldn't they ?

Darrin
2015-03-09, 08:13 PM
My character has a natural gore attack, armour spikes, a shield, gaunlets. could he use it in secondary attacks ?

The gore is a natural weapon and thus can be used as a secondary attack. The armor spikes, shield, and gauntlets count as manufactured weapons. They can't be used as secondary attacks, but the armor spikes and shield can be used as offhand weapons.

The gauntlets could probably be used as offhand attacks, but you'd have to let go of your two-handed weapon and regrip it... and many DMs have issues with that. However, even though you may be swinging around a two-handed weapon, you are still "wielding" both gauntlets. If you drop your primary weapon or it gets disarmed, you can immediately use your gauntlets to threaten the squares around you or make melee attacks with them.

Can one add weapon enchantments on a non-weapon wondrous item ?

Probably not, but you may be able to combine, say, an elbow blade with a magical bracer/armguard. Or a boot blade with magic boots. The Magic Item Compendium has rules for combining magic item effects, but you'll need to talk to your DM about what he'll allow.

The problems I have is that I'm unsure the enchanted shield spike counts as wielded. If it does, since it is made out of ironwood, I won't have un-masterwork problems.

Well, that's the easy part. The text directly from the DMG:

"Upon command, an animated shield floats within 2 feet of the wielder, protecting her as if she were using it herself but freeing up both her hands."
(emphasis added)

The text actually says twice that you're wielding the shield, once by referring explicitly to the "wielder", and then the "as if she were using it herself".

You will need to manufacture and pay for the armor spikes separately as a masterwork weapon in order to enchant them with Warning/Eager/etc., but there shouldn't be any question about whether or not you're wielding the shield.

Then, the knee blade takes no slot but counts as wielded only if it is actiivated which requires a move action. Would there be a problem keeping it unsheathed ?

No, by RAW there is no penalty or disadvantage to walking around with the knee blade extended, except you will look a little silly and the DM is likely to invent a drawback because it may bug him that you wander around everywhere with your knee blade extended.

And don't gauntlets or spiked gauntlets take the gloves slot ?

Yes, if the gauntlets are magical, they would occupy the glove slot. If the gauntlets are non-magical, you can most likely wear magical gloves over/under the gauntlets.

I'm not sure how to enchant armour spikes since I have the menacing enchantment but netcutter spikes would work for sure as wielded, wouldn't they ?

Netcutter spikes are more expensive versions of armor spikes. If you're wearing armor with armor spikes, you are automatically wielding them, since they always threaten the squares around you. If you ever get disarmed, you can still make armed attacks with your armor spikes.

If I understand you correctly, Menacing is an armor property, and armor spikes are enchanted as weapons rather than armor. You just have to pay for the armor spikes separately: 300 GP (Masterwork weapon) + 50 GP (spikes) + 2000 GP (+1 enhancement) + X (additional weapon properties). So long as you're paying separately for the armor and weapon properties, you should be fine.

HurinTheCursed
2015-03-14, 01:08 PM
It seems like I mistaked Menacing and Fearsome !

FEARSOME
Activation: —
This foul armor has a sinister appearance. It is dark, almost black, and covered with sharp barbs and spikes.
Fearsome armor functions as if it has armor spikes (PH 124) if the armor doesn’t have this feature already. In addition, when wearing this armor, you gain a +5 enhancement bonus on Intimidate checks, and you can demoralize opponents (PH 76) as a move action instead of a standard action.

My armour functions as it already had armor spikes but I don't even know if they are considered magic, masterwork or not, if they can be further enchanted...
Hence the netcutter armour spikes.