PDA

View Full Version : favorite musical or play.

Nightwing
2007-04-09, 02:47 PM
I like pippin.

Catch
2007-04-09, 02:48 PM
Much Ado About Nothing.

Hands down.

zeratul
2007-04-09, 02:49 PM
I could never choose. I know far too manny plays to pick one.

psychoduck14
2007-04-09, 02:57 PM
as far as musicals go the only one i have and liked is Grease and i like lots of plays but fav so far is a Midsummer Nights Dream

psychoduck14
2007-04-09, 02:59 PM
as far as musicals go the only one i have and liked is Grease and i like lots of plays but fav so far is a Midsummer Nights Dream

Nightwing
2007-04-09, 03:08 PM
^ psycho double posted.

Joran
2007-04-09, 03:26 PM
For plays:
I'll go with Proof and Copenhagen.

Musicals:
I'll go with Avenue Q.

SDF
2007-04-09, 03:31 PM
Phantom of the Opera was great, I saw that in Minneapolis.

Goblin Music
2007-04-09, 03:34 PM
there was one um... Pirates of Penzance

Daze
2007-04-09, 04:24 PM
Hard to choose really, kinda like your favorite song..or favorite food.. there are many. But for the sake of discussion...

Musicals: I got a special place for Phantom of the Opera... a more modern choice may be Wicked or Sweeney Todd. And if you've never seen it The Rockly Horror Picture Show, it's funny as hell.

Plays: I'll second As You Like It... Hamlet is also impressive to see, albeit a bit lengthy. Death of a Salesman is also worth noting, if you've never seen it. I've really seen too many well done plays to count.

Other: Blue Man Group.. man, I saw them waaayyyy before they became cool and got those pentium commercials and stage shows in Las Vegas. Saw em in a tiny little theatre on the lower east side, freakin awesome... so much fun.
I'd also toss Stomp in this category, though in fairness I can see stuff like that in Washington Square Park on the weekend.

Khantalas
2007-04-09, 04:38 PM
I should watch more musicals. Musical movies enchant me to no end.

And why do sitcoms have that gag that men who like musicals are gay? I am certainly not gay.

If I am, I have convinced even myself otherwise.

Daze
2007-04-09, 05:34 PM
I should watch more musicals. Musical movies enchant me to no end.

And why do sitcoms have that gag that men who like musicals are gay? I am certainly not gay.

If I am, I have convinced even myself otherwise.

Nor am I amigo... That's just typical of what TV producers think of the general amercian public, particulary guys. That we're all a bunch of uncultured slobs.
I had the lucky fortune of growing up in New York, where I've been exposed to a great array of theatre. I feel I'm a better person for it.

With that said however..there are some musicals that are pretty "girly" (no offense meant to anyone) and I dont particularly care for... Lion King.. Cats...etc... gag me with a spoon!

Don Beegles
2007-04-09, 05:51 PM
Cyrano de Bergerac. Hands down.

Wait, what was the question? Because regardless, that's my answer. It fits perfectly this time, however, because it is, as you guessed, my favorite play. It kicks some much ass that it is indecribable.

As for musicals, I don't watch too many, but I do like the music in the Phantom. Plot's not great, but that doesn't matter. Same with Rent. I don't think it quite deserves the cult following it's picked up, but I did enjoy it.

averagejoe
2007-04-09, 06:36 PM
Ah, Rent... My old archenemy. More smelly cheese than all of France.

The plays I like is a pretty long list. Educating Rita, Hamlet (most Shakespeare, but especially this), Travesties, Copenhagen, Top Girls, off the top of my head. I have not, unfortunately, seen Waiting for Godot or Rozencranz and Guildenstern are Dead, which I have been trying to remedy.

The musicals which I consider to be less bad than other musicals is a bit shorter. It isn't that I like musical theater less, it's just that it's good less often. I'll throw Phantom out there again. Fiddler on the Roof is excellent, especially with wossname from the film version doing his violin solo during the overture. Guys and Dolls is quirky and fun if you can catch a good performance of it.

Edit: And, Daze, you know that there was never a cat so clever as Magical Mister Mistoffelees.

Daze
2007-04-09, 06:41 PM
And, Daze, you know that there was never a cat so clever as Magical Mister Mistoffelees.

AARGH!!!!! *runs and hides* please dont do it!! Mine ears shall bleed!!!

heh...

Damn magical mister mistoffeless.. someone oughta get him neutered! ;)

EDIT: And Memories from Cats wasnt a bad tune... just overplayed to all heck...

smellie_hippie
2007-04-09, 06:41 PM
Musicals? Tommy. Yeah I know they call it a "rock opera"... but I likes it.

Play? Hmmmmm... hard to say. Noises Off, Nothing On. It's a laugh riot.

averagejoe
2007-04-09, 06:57 PM
AARGH!!!!! *runs and hides* please dont do it!! Mine ears shall bleed!!!

heh...

Damn magical mister mistoffeless.. someone oughta get him neutered! ;)

EDIT: And Memories from Cats wasnt a bad tune... just overplayed to all heck...

Haha, I've never actually seen Cats, (except for the Mistoffelees bit) I just remember liking that song when I was really young. And I maintain to this day that MMM is pretty awsome. :smallcool: You hear him by the fire when he's up on the roof! AND ZOMG!!! He can do any trick with a cork, or a spoon and a bit of fish paste. That's just awsome-tastic.

Don Beegles
2007-04-09, 07:04 PM
Oh, yes, Guys and Dolls, how could I forget it. I've only watched it once, and then only on video unfortunately, but it is an excellent musical. Of course, Brando and Sinatra contribute to that excellence significantly, but with good actors it would be just as good or better on stage.

Amotis
2007-04-09, 07:04 PM
Musical: Three Penny Opera

Play: The Cherry Orchard, Rozencranz and Guildenstern are Dead, Cyrano (of course), The Glass Menagerie (OPIUM DENS MOTHER! I GO TO OPIUM DENS! *loves this play*), and Midsummer Night's Dream.

But I do love a good play. Musicals, that's iffy.

ZombieRockStar
2007-04-09, 07:10 PM
Play: Mother Courage and Her Children by Bertolt Brecht.

Musical: Avenue Q by Jeff Marx and Robert Lopez.

Khayleigh
2007-04-09, 07:13 PM
The Tempest. Yum.

I'm also a fan of R&GaD and another of Mr. Williams' opi: A Streetcar named Desire.

Daze
2007-04-09, 07:22 PM
Haha, I've never actually seen Cats, (except for the Mistoffelees bit) I just remember liking that song when I was really young. And I maintain to this day that MMM is pretty awsome. :smallcool: You hear him by the fire when he's up on the roof! AND ZOMG!!! He can do any trick with a cork, or a spoon and a bit of fish paste. That's just awsome-tastic.

Heh, thats funny.. well I actually SAW it when I was a kid.. my grandmother took me. It definitely freaked me out... in fact mestophiles (or however you spell it) hit me with his tail while bouncing around the theatre.. damn wacko cat!
To this day I'm a dog person... :smalltongue:

johnnyko
2007-04-09, 07:26 PM
My favorite modern play, hands down, is Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. I've read it probably fiften times, used it for six or seven class projects, seen it thrice, and directed it once. I have a heterocrush on Tom Stoppard like you wouldn't believe. Classics -- Gogol's The Government Inspector is hilarous if you can find a decent translation. Most translations of any play written pre-1920 or so tend to translate literally, thus destroying any and all traces of humor. I recommend Ehre and Gottschalk's 1980 translation, if you can find it.

As far as current musicals... I'm a big fan of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Avenue Q, and The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. Classics, I like Guys and Dolls and anything Cole Porter that was written as a musical (as opposed to shows like Anything Goes, which was written to put his pop songs into a stage show and makes my soul hurt. From that in between era of the seventies and eighties, I'm a big fan of Les Miserables and Jesus Christ Superstar.

MrsbwcMD
2007-04-09, 07:29 PM
Been to a lot of plays and musicals in my time. I just love live theater.
Favorite play: Equus
Favorite musical: Les Miserables, with The Sound of Music and Phantom of the Opera running a close second and third.

Aidan305
2007-04-09, 08:30 PM
For musicals, I'm biased in favour of Shoggoth on the Roof since I wrote the music for it. Otherwise Pirates of Penzance

Theatrewise, probably "The Importance of Being Ernest"

J. W. Wells
2007-04-09, 08:46 PM
Best musical in my mind is The Mikado, hands down. Then the H.M.S. Pinafore, then Ionlanthe. I listen to alot of Gilbert & Sullivan. Seven Brides For Seven Brothers is also an awesome musical, complete with a ballet fight, proposing to a woman over a cow and a woman named Dorcas.

As for plays The Importance of Being Earnest would have to be my favorite.

Daze
2007-04-09, 09:22 PM
For musicals, I'm biased in favour of Shoggoth on the Roof since I wrote the music for it.

LOL... thats not fair :P

Penguinsushi
2007-04-09, 09:24 PM
I really only like one musical, My Fair Lady.

As far as plays, I don't really know any - but has anyone seen The Complete Works of William Shakespeare [Abridged]? ;)

~PS

Daze
2007-04-09, 09:28 PM

As far as plays, I don't really know any - but has anyone seen The Complete Works of William Shakespeare [Abridged]? ;)

~PS

Yeah My Fair Lady is good and old-timey. I've only seen it on film, never live though.
Speaking of Old timey.. The King and I aint too bad either. Check out the movie with Yul Brynner as the King, best version I think.

Vix
2007-04-09, 09:29 PM
I saw a new play last year called An Innocent Eye Test that has since been my favorite. Sooo funny

I love all the musicals I've seen but nothing stands out as a favorite.

Ted_Stryker
2007-04-09, 09:35 PM
Musical - West Side Story

Play - Oedipus Rex

NecroPaladin
2007-04-09, 10:04 PM
I've always been partial to Fiddler on the Roof, but The Producers was HILARIOUS. Better than the movie!

Dragonrider
2007-04-10, 12:10 AM
Musical? I like Les Miserables. Having read the entire book. I also really do like The Pirates of Penzance. "O-fan." " 'Orphan' as in a child with no parents, or 'often' frrrrrrequently?"

My favorite play is Much Ado About Nothing.

Nevrmore
2007-04-10, 01:23 AM
Shear Madness.

The funniest thing I've ever seen ever.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-10, 03:29 AM
Macbeth, Taming of the Shew, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Mikado...

Then again, I don't get to see many plays. I mainly end up seeing adaptations of books inside a village hall.

Nightwing
2007-04-10, 06:06 AM
no love for pippin?

Yawielas
2007-04-10, 06:41 AM
Oh, how to choose....
Favorite musicals, yes, plural: Les Miserables, Miss Saigon, Beauty and the Beast, My Fair Lady, Chess, Rent, Grease, Moulin Rouge, A Chorus Line, Jesus Christ Superstar, and probably some more that I can't think of right now.

Favorite plays: Much Ado About Nothing, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Educating Rita, Twelfth Night, Romeo and Juliet, Peer Gynt.

Nightwing
2007-04-10, 07:00 AM
plays and musicals i have seen: pippin,oliver,the gondoliers,Joseph and the amazing Technion color dream coat, an many others.

Mr Croup
2007-04-10, 08:35 AM
I'm not much for musicals, with very few exceptions. I love some of the older musicals like South Pacific, and Funny Face, particularly the film version of the latter, because, well I adore Audrey Hepburn. For modern musicals, there's not much. I love The Rocky Horror Show / The Rocky Horror Picture Show, andHedgwig and the Angry Inch. I actually saw the latter off broadway with John Cameron Mitchell playing the lead, and it was probably the best live musical theatre I've ever seen.

For plays, I'd put Waiting for Godot up there. I'm a fan of just about all of Shakespeare's work, with Hamlet, Twelfth Night, and Richard III at the top for their respective categories at the moment. There is a play by a Chicago playwright named John Corwin called Navy Pier which is probably my favorite new play, though it is nearing a decade in age.

Hunter_Rose
2007-04-10, 08:49 AM
Being a Gen X'er, Rent will always have a special place in my soul. It resonated very much with what was going on in my life at the time it first came out. I remember being really excited when I first heard the off broadway buzz about the play, and then I remember feeling so horrible when I heard the writer/composer died of AIDS on the opening night. Nothing has summed up the pointless loss of the AIDS crisis as well as that deathly coda. Now with the developement of AZT not so many people die of AIDS, but in the late 80's it seemed like every other week there was another fatality. So ****ing pointless!!!!

As for plays I would have to say Henry V. Everytime I hear the St. Crispin's day speach I just have this welling up of emotion that makes me want to do anything for king and country. I love how this is a speech that is supposed to inspire the common man to achieve moments of greatness that surpass class, standing, and station. Everything at that moment is laid down on the line, all is put aside, and as one this united front is able to overcome the obstacle. Makes my blood sing!

I've also been interested in seening Tenessee Williams "Long Day's Journey into Night" on the stage. I've only read it and seen the movie adaptation. It's just fascinating how this family deteriorates right before your eyes. It's so interesting that some of our best plays depict some of the worst aspects of the human condition.

Mr Croup
2007-04-10, 09:01 AM
I remember feeling so horrible when I heard the writer/composer died of AIDS on the opening night.

Larson didn't die of AIDS, it was an aortic dissection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aortic_dissection), to my knowledge. Still a terrible thing, and a poignant death, but it bears correcting.

I'm a big fan of Tennessee Williams as well, though I haven't had the opportunity to see more than a couple of his plays on the stage. I'd love to see Night of the Iguana, it's probably my favorite of his.

Hunter_Rose
2007-04-10, 09:20 AM
Larson didn't die of AIDS, it was an aortic dissection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aortic_dissection), to my knowledge. Still a terrible thing, and a poignant death, but it bears correcting.

I'm pretty sure the aortic dissection was a complication to the AIDS virus that he was suffering from. You're correct people rarely die from AIDS, but the opportunistic infections that arise from suffering from the symptoms.

Mr Croup
2007-04-10, 09:24 AM
I'm pretty sure the aortic dissection was a complication to the AIDS virus that he was suffering from. You're correct people rarely die from AIDS, but the opportunistic infections that arise from suffering from the symptoms.

I'd always heard, and from what little information I've been able to pull up online, that the aortic dissection was a result of a genetic disorder, Marfan's syndrome, and to my knowledge, Larson didn't have AIDS himself.

Hunter_Rose
2007-04-10, 09:39 AM
It was reported differently, and from the broadcasts I watched they made it clear that did have the AIDS virus.

Joran
2007-04-10, 09:43 AM
According to his foundation:

A few hours later, alone in his apartment, Jonathan put on a kettle to make tea, and died from an undiagnosed aortic aneurysm. It is believed that he died as a result of Marfan Syndrome.

http://www.jlpaf.org/about.html

The article mentions that his best friend and three other friends were HIV-positive, but does not mention anything about him being HIV-positive.

Wikipedia states that he was HIV-negative and heterosexual.

Mr Croup
2007-04-10, 09:45 AM
Yeah, Joran, that's the info I've always heard and seen.

Hunter_Rose
2007-04-10, 10:06 AM
I don't mean to say you're wrong, but I remember it being reported that he did have AIDS, and I always thought that this was a complication. He might of been HIV positive and not full blown. If you can catch it early you can stave off the full effect of the disease with AZT and keep you t-cell count up.

slipnslide
2007-04-10, 10:12 AM
musical and play -- avenue q

one of the funniest things i have ever seen.

Robberbaron
2007-04-10, 10:25 AM
Musicals, I prefer the older ones mainly, Singin' in the Rain, Meet Me in St Louis, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Fiddler on the Roof, and a few others.

Plays, I enjoy Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing topping the list, Oscar Wilde's Importance of Being Ernest is also quite amusing, musicals are the rest of the list, high school drama groups can do wonderful jobs and horrid jobs.

averagejoe
2007-04-10, 05:31 PM
Funny Face, particularly the film version of the latter, because, well I adore Audrey Hepburn.

I caught some of this on TV. I was generally unimpressed, and would have turned it off straightaway, but Audrey Hepburn was absolutely charming, and I found that I kept watching it.

Virtues of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat: it was short.

lacesmcawesome
2007-04-10, 05:33 PM
Music Man or Fiddler on the Roof.

I love them both.

Don Beegles
2007-04-10, 05:53 PM
Hmm, I've been thinking, and here are some of my favorite plays by famous playwrights.

Shaw-The Devil's Disciple

Wilde-Lady Windermere's Fan

Billy Shakes-Julius Caesar, Henry VI v3.0, and Love's Labour's Lost, respectively.

All the American Plays I've Read-A Long Day's Journey into Night, though I saw the funniest adaptation of Glass Menagerie at comps, and so I'm thinking I'll read it again.

Sewer_Bandito
2007-04-10, 06:44 PM
Definately the Phantom of the Opera. I got to see it on my high school trip to New York along with Wiecked and Mary Poppins :smallbiggrin:

Oh and my highschool did Pippin this year, if you wanna watch a mediocre rendition of it, it's on youtube if you search for 'butler' and 'pippin' :smallbiggrin:

Nightwing
2007-04-11, 05:45 AM
phantom is vary popular.

Amiria
2007-04-11, 06:20 AM
Musical ? I hate musicals.

Play ? Peace by Aristophanes.

Dragonrider
2007-04-11, 08:07 AM
Musical ? I hate musicals.

BLASPHEMY!

:smallbiggrin: *pat on the back* It can be acquired taste.

Hunter_Rose
2007-04-11, 08:54 AM
I'm wondering if Phantom of the Opera is going to become the Cats of the new millenium? I wonder if that means "Music of the Night" will become the new "Memories"?

On another note has anyone seen "Chess"? I've only heard the sound track, but in the mid-80's it made a fairly big splash in the states.

Mr Croup
2007-04-11, 09:01 AM
I caught some of this on TV. I was generally unimpressed, and would have turned it off straightaway, but Audrey Hepburn was absolutely charming, and I found that I kept watching it.

Yeah, I think my love for the movie version is based largely on my fierce love for Audrey Hepburn, so I can absolutely see watching it just for her presence. I think it bears so many of the hallmarks of what made those studio musical what they were that it stands out beyond just Ms. Hepburn for me.

Kelson
2007-04-11, 10:00 AM
As far as musicals go, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum is one of my favorites. I really haven't seen many straight plays.

averagejoe
2007-04-11, 10:13 AM
BLASPHEMY!

:smallbiggrin: *pat on the back* It can be acquired taste.

Don't listen. I could totally see someone not liking musicals. Okay, I have a Pantom penchant? So what, wanna fight about it? I personally blame my sister for playing it over and over and over ad nauseum when we were younger, thus making me dependant on it. Anyways, the point is, most musicals are really bad. Even the popular ones. Especially the popular ones.

Indurain
2007-04-11, 02:27 PM
Musicals:
Pippin (my high school did it, and then I got to see an excellent production this year with Mickey Dolenz as King Charlemagne)
Joseph (It was my first live theatre experience that wasn't Sharon, Lois and Bram)
Lion King (Truly spectacular)
Lord of the Rings (Sure a bunch of people knocked it, and it had it's flaws, but it was awe-inspiring to me)

Plays:
The Real Inspector Hound (Stoppard at his best. I love R&GaD, but Hound is sheer madness in play format)
Hamlet (Nothing more needs to be said)
Death of a Salesman (Wow...just wow!)
Threepenny Opera (Brecht baby!!)
The Good Woman of Setchuan [sp?] (This is really only because it's the first play I was in)

ZombieRockStar
2007-04-11, 02:34 PM
Joseph (It was my first live theatre experience that wasn't Sharon, Lois and Bram)
Heh...same. And Eric Nagler too. Don't forget him.

I remember Joseph being awesome. I can't say I really care for the musical anymore, but it was a great experience for a kid.

Sewer_Bandito
2007-04-11, 04:04 PM
I'm wondering if Phantom of the Opera is going to become the Cats of the new millenium? I wonder if that means "Music of the Night" will become the new "Memories"?

On another note has anyone seen "Chess"? I've only heard the sound track, but in the mid-80's it made a fairly big splash in the states.

I believe Cats ran for 18 years, and Phantom is up to 20 now, so it may already be :smallbiggrin: Although I could be wrong on that, so...

Nightwing
2007-04-11, 05:33 PM
Musicals:
Pippin (my high school did it, and then I got to see an excellent production this year with Mickey Dolenz as King Charlemagne)

I sow that one too.

Dragonrider
2007-04-11, 06:56 PM
I believe Cats ran for 18 years, and Phantom is up to 20 now, so it may already be :smallbiggrin: Although I could be wrong on that, so...

A friend of mine was hooked on Cats for six months straight, and instilled in me a strong desire to see it. Two years later, I still haven't. :smallannoyed: One of these days I've gotta get to it...

Innis Cabal
2007-04-11, 06:57 PM
blood brothers....simply amazing

Da Beast
2007-04-11, 07:04 PM
My favorite musical is Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny. I don't really have a favorite play.

wellington
2007-04-12, 12:31 AM
Musical: Either Ruddigore or The Mikado, with My Fair Lady being a very close runner-up. I mean, my username's the W. in J. W. Wells.

Play: The Tempest. It has slow bits, and odd bits, and slightly clunky bits, and isn't as flat-out entertaining as A Midsummer Night's Dream. But when it works - ye gods.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-12, 12:45 AM

~PS

"With perfect Scottish accents!" :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Oh, right...

Musical: Les Miserables, hands down.

Do you hear the people sing, lost in the valley of the night?
It is the music of a people who are climbing to the light.
For the wretched of the Earth, there is a flame that never dies
Even the darkest night will end and the Sun will rise.

Play: Complete Works of William Shakespeare, Abridged.

Robberbaron
2007-04-12, 12:40 PM
My problem with Phantom is that I read the book first, and have been comparing all the movies to it, the play/movie is pretty good, but the book is great.

musicnerd
2007-04-12, 12:54 PM
Musicals- for comedy The Producers and for drama The Phantom of the Opera. These are also the two I saw live, so that may factor into it somewhat. Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, and Roger Bart were soo good in the live show! I can't stand the movie version of Phantom, but The Producers is ok since they kept most of the leads. I also like Gilbert and Sullivan. Patter songs are so fun to sing!

Plays- The Crucible by Arthur Miller. Again I am biased, because I played Elizabeth Proctor in high school. Best acting experience of my life! I also really love The Guys (a personal aftermath of 9/11) and Tony Kushner's adaptation of The Illusion. Oh, and Shakespeare, of course :)

Teal Kuinshi
2007-04-12, 04:42 PM
Phantom of the Opera. I don't like the acting much and I dislike all characters except for the Phantom (who, depending on the person playing him, I also may dislike), but the music is strangely alluring.

Gnome Barbarian
2007-04-12, 08:01 PM
If I went by plays that i have been to on broadway I would have to keep it as a tie between Jekyll and Hyde and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. I saw Jekyll and Hyde with Sebastian Bache from skid row and he did an awesome job. Actually a friend of mine is mad because she was supposed to see it with him in it and that is when they changed to David Hasselhoff.

BrokenButterfly
2007-04-13, 11:04 AM
My favourite musical is 42nd Street, I saw it twice when my Dad was playing the piano for it on-stage, and I loved it each time. Catchy songs. The only musical I'll watch on tv is The Rocky Horror Picture Show, I really do not watch many musicals at all. The traditional popular musicals irritate me a lot.

Out of the small range of plays I've seen I thought that Black Comedy was the best. One of the funniest pieces of any medium that I'd seen, and obviously it only really works live.

Tam_OConnor
2007-04-13, 05:35 PM
I'm forced to agree with Don Beegles; Cyrano de Bergerac rocks socks off, even if it's an English translation.
As for comic operas (never musicals) and Gilbert and Sullivan; but Yeomen of the Guard in Particular.

Turcano
2007-04-13, 05:53 PM
Threepenny Opera (Brecht baby!!)

Any play with a song titled "The Pimp Ballad" is made of win.

slapdash
2007-04-13, 06:11 PM
Musicals! That's tough. Wicked, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, The Bomb-itty of Errors, Bat Boy: The Musical, Once On This Island, A...My Name is Alice, Children of Eden, Into the Woods, Aida and Little Shop of Horrors are some of my favorites. I also love the classics, like Showboat, Fiddler on the Roof, The Music Man and West Side Story, which I have very fond memories of watching with my mother and grandmother.

There are a lot of good plays, but one of my favorites is The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940 (which is not a musical!), and I did enjoy Between Time and Timbuktu, based on Kurt Vonnegut's work. Neil Simon has a lot of good stuff, and I love Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. (Who doesn't?)

under_score
2007-04-13, 06:13 PM
Plays: The Pillowman, The Diviners, and A Servant of Two Masters are all really great, though most of you may not have heard of them.

Musicals: I tend not to like silly, sappy musicals as much (like Hello, Dolly!), but ones that are a little darker in some respect (Fiddler on the Roof, Les Miz, West Side Story, etc)

And, I must admit, that Cats is a guilty pleasure of mine -- though I've never seen it live.

I think it's interesting (and awesome) how much D&D fans and others like us are really into theatre (and musical theatre) even when so much of the population can be so apathetic in this regards. Reminds me of a certain awesome webcomic of awesomeness (http://www.somethingpositive.net/).

Cyrano
2007-04-13, 06:15 PM
Musicals: Lord of the Rings. Yes, it has been musicalized. Yes, they DID do the Balrog. Yes, it was frickin' awesome.

Plays: Coriolanus. Little known shakespeare play and the only one I even moderately like. And it is SO AWESOME.

BlythraB
2007-04-16, 06:33 PM
I'm permanently in love with the theatre, and my favorite musicals THIS week are probably Jekyll and Hyde (But not with David Hasslehoff, he kills the music!)and Children of Eden.
Also included in my all-time favorites (plays, musicals, whatever) list are (in alphabetical order(I'm reeeeeeally bored...)):
Aida, Anastaitia, Annie, Bat Boy: The Musical, Beauty and the Beast, Bye Bye Birdie, Camelot, Cats, Cinderella, Dear Edwina, The Fantastiks, Fiddler on the Roof, Footloose, Guys and Dolls, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Importance of Being Earnest, Into the Woods, Lion King, Little Shop of Horrors, Man of La Mancha, Mary Poppins, Les Miserables, Movin' Out, Music Man, My Fair Lady, Oliver, Once on this Island, Once Upon a Mattress, Phantom of the Opera, Peter Pan, Romeo and Juliet, The Scarlet Pimpernell, Seussical, Singin' in the Rain, The Sound of Music, The Tempest, Thouroghly Modern Millie, West Side Story, Wicked, the Wizard of Oz, The Wiz.
And that, sadly, is only a few of my favorites. As you can probably tell, I'm a theatre addict. :D Sorry about all the spelling mistakes!

Pensive Pine
2007-04-16, 08:08 PM
My top three favorite musicals are Starlight Express, Big the Musical, and Little Shop of Horrors. My other favorites rotate from time to time, but the ones that stay high include Starmites, Avenue Q, Pippin, A Little Night Music, Wicked, and Follies.

Robberbaron
2007-04-17, 11:57 AM
There's a play/musical of the Scarlet Pimpernel? hmm

slapdash
2007-04-17, 12:02 PM
There is. The music is really good, but it's never managed to be a success.

Robberbaron
2007-04-17, 12:17 PM
I've read the book a few times, and have the old black and white movie on DVD, might have to search out this play sometime.

SoulSpear
2007-04-17, 07:27 PM
Musicals. Wow. I personally like West Side Story and Anything Goes. Those two are great. My brother played Both Bernardo and Riff. Sure never gets to do the second act of that show.

Amotis
2007-04-17, 07:35 PM
There's a play/musical of the Scarlet Pimpernel? hmm

I even did a field show of it back in high school. :smallbiggrin:

*sings Madame Guillotine*

Neon Knight
2007-04-17, 08:57 PM
Noises Off. SARDINES!

Robberbaron
2007-04-20, 10:56 AM
You got video amotis? lol

orcmonk89
2007-04-20, 11:23 AM
Blood Brothers.

That's ace. Though I would also put the Rocky Horror Picture Show, and Twelth Night up there...

RTGoodman
2007-04-20, 12:09 PM
Blue Man Group.. man, I saw them waaayyyy before they became cool and got those pentium commercials and stage shows in Las Vegas. Saw em in a tiny little theatre on the lower east side, freakin awesome... so much fun.

I always wondered if my high school band and I were the only people that saw BMG before they were famous...

As far as musicals go, I'm a big fan of Wicked (even though I thought the original book was postmodern-type literary trash), and I like the several plays I was in during high school (specifically, Jesus Christ Superstar, 1940s Radio Hour, and The Wiz). I absolutely hate Grease. OH! And I almost forget - Avenue Q is AWESOME.

As far as plays go, I'm a fan of Shakespeare (of course, I'm a Medieval & Renaissance studies major, so I'd get beaten to death if I didn't at least like some of his plays); I especially like The Tempest, Julius Caesar, and MacBeth. I think I liked Hamlet, but all I remember is the line "O! I am slain!"

I also like Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman and The Crucible.

Agatsuma
2007-04-20, 12:15 PM
Musical: Into The Woods by Steven Sondheim. Fun take on fairly tales in the first act, lots of emotion in the second act.
Play: Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare. Yes, he did "better" works, and yes, he is ripping off the Greeks, but this play is hell of funny.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-04-22, 12:28 PM
For musicals, I'd have to say Little Shop of Horrors. We did that one in high school, and it's stuck in my mind ever since. Audrey II is a downright creepy dude, and unlike Frank Oz's film version, the plant wins!

As for plays, pretty much any of Shakespeare's works, especially the comedies. If I had to choose just one, I'd have to say Twelfth Night, or What You Will. We did this one in high school too, and the duel between Cesario (Viola) and Sir Andrew Aguecheek is hilarious in the film version.

Sammi_Somara
2007-05-06, 10:04 PM
Plays-A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Runner Stumbles, The Women of Lockerbie, and The Diary of Anne Frank.

My fave opera is The Magic Flute.

Musicals- LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS FTW!!!!!

coming in close seconds are Phantom, Wicked, Once on This Island, Suessical, Fiddler, and Forum.

I really want to see the musicalized version of The Mystery of Edwin Drood.

Also, I've been hearing talk of how there's a musical version of Lord of the Rings. Can anyone give me some links where I can find info on it? Please?

Don Beegles
2007-05-08, 01:08 PM
Innis and Orcmonk, I salute you.

Blood Brothers is an amazing show. Good music that's not showtunes, great play, with enough humor to make the tragedy really work. If you haven't seen it, hop a flight to Britain now to watch it. It will be worth the money.

[..]Stigma[..]
2007-05-09, 07:49 AM
The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Advance Strat..
2007-05-10, 07:40 AM
lesse if this posts now.

My favorite is Phantom of the opera, but I like a good amount of broadway. Into the woods, wicked, man of la mancha, west side story, music man, are a few off the top of my head.

Also, I'm gonna audition for a local production of pippin at the end of the month. Should be interesting.

Nibleswick
2007-05-11, 12:45 AM
I saw Le Mis, the other day and it is FANTASTIC, there are very few things that I have come across that can make me cry. I also have a soft spot for The Madwoman of Chaillot, but I suppose that it has something to do with having been in it.

rollfrenzy
2007-05-11, 10:11 AM
Musical : Les Miserables It was powerful.

R.I.P. Gavrosh. the only time I have been truly surprised and saddened by the death of a character.

Play: Juluis Ceaser, Hamlet, and the Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged).

slapdash
2007-05-12, 09:49 AM
Oh, The Complete Works...Abridged plays are so good. We had a group do a 'double feature' of sorts, where they did The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged) and The Complete History of America (Abridged). Hilarious!

For Shakespeare fiends, 15 Minute Hamlet is also hilarious if done well.

LCR
2007-05-13, 12:47 PM
That would be "Mein Kampf" by George Tabori, with "Nora" by Henrik Ibsen and "Nathan der Weise" by Lessing in for a close second.

Oh, and "Pygmalion" by G.B. Shaw, mainly because I got to play Higgins.

Lemur
2007-05-14, 12:29 AM
I don't really get into theater much, so it's hard for me to think about favorites. Cyrano is probably at the top of the list, though.

I'm even less into musicals, but I suppose I have a thing for Gilbert and Sullivan. Also, I feel compelled to completely destroy your minds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujsf8QPo3EM&mode=related&search=) here and now.

Pensive Pine
2007-05-14, 07:05 PM
Peh, anime musicals are nothing new. I recall the Sailor Moon musicals were popular back in the day (in Japan, I mean), and I'm sure there are other, even earlier examples. Hardly mind destroying.

Lemur
2007-05-14, 07:11 PM
Actually, I think I might like musicals more if they had more fight sequences. As corny as it is, it does a lot better in the backflip department than any other play I've seen.