PDA

View Full Version : war mage stacking work?

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-08, 04:16 AM
The class war mage from Dragonlance - Age of Mortals has a support aura that effects your allies, and not yourself and gives an untyped bonus to AC

Would this stack if you had 2, 3, or more war mages?

Andezzar
2015-03-08, 04:40 AM
Most likely not, because all those bonuses, while untyped, will have come from the same source. Source is the ability that grants the bonus. So without any language saying that the bonuses do stack, they don't. I don't have the book so I cannot check

nyjastul69
2015-03-08, 11:33 AM
I'm assuming the class ability is Arcane Aegis(Su). If this is the case, they do not stack as they would be from the same source, Arcane Aegis.

Chronos
2015-03-08, 03:59 PM
Personally, I think of the rule for untyped bonuses as each bonus actually having a hidden type with the same name as the source. Thus, for instance, this ability, instead of giving a deflection bonus to AC or a natural armor bonus to AC, gives an Arcane Aegis bonus to AC. This will stack with deflection and natural armor and so on, but it won't stack with other Arcane Aegis bonuses.

Thrice Dead Cat
2015-03-08, 06:40 PM
Personally, I think of the rule for untyped bonuses as each bonus actually having a hidden type with the same name as the source. Thus, for instance, this ability, instead of giving a deflection bonus to AC or a natural armor bonus to AC, gives an Arcane Aegis bonus to AC. This will stack with deflection and natural armor and so on, but it won't stack with other Arcane Aegis bonuses.

That's actually probably the best way the whole "Doesn't stack with itself" rule works, even if the rules never actually spell it out like that.