PDA

View Full Version : Question about scrolls

Nicktacular
2015-03-08, 06:19 AM
I just read that scrolls have multiple spells written on them(I have always assumed they only had one spell on them) and because when you purchase and item that has charges it has max charges at the prices listed in the books , does that mean that scrolls have the maximum amount of spells on them? And if so then what is the maximum amount of the price listed, because it says that minor scrolls have a max of three, medium scrolls have a max of 4, and major have a max of six.

With a box
2015-03-08, 06:29 AM
A scroll is a spell (or collection of spells) that has been stored in written form. A spell on a scroll can be used only once. The writing vanishes from the scroll when the spell is activated. Using a scroll is basically like casting a spell.

No, its one time only

Curmudgeon
2015-03-08, 06:30 AM
No. Spells on scrolls are not charges, so you're talking apples and oranges.

Hiro Quester
2015-03-08, 08:37 AM
Some scrolls can had a few different spells on them. Each of those spells is one use only.

bjoern
2015-03-08, 08:42 AM
This got me thinking, let's say a scroll has 3 different spells on it.

When I unroll.it and read it, can I have all 3 go off at once?

It would be handy but I have the feeling the answer is no.

Have a wizard put his whole spell book onto a scroll and make a mushroom cloud appear over somebody as 1 standard action. Lol

Psyren
2015-03-08, 09:36 AM
This got me thinking, let's say a scroll has 3 different spells on it.

When I unroll.it and read it, can I have all 3 go off at once?

It would be handy but I have the feeling the answer is no.

Have a wizard put his whole spell book onto a scroll and make a mushroom cloud appear over somebody as 1 standard action. Lol

No:

"Activating a scroll requires reading the spell from the scroll."
"The writing for an activated spell disappears from the scroll."

You have to activate each spell one at a time.

Nicktacular
2015-03-09, 07:32 AM
No, its one time only

I understand that the spells on a scroll are one time uses but the question is how many spells come on purchised scrolls. Because it says when you find scrolls you have to roll a die to see how many spells were on the scroll when you find it, which implys that they were already used because wand also have a dice roll to see how many charges were left on them and when you purchase wands they are priced as if they have maximum charge.

Psyren
2015-03-09, 07:51 AM
I understand that the spells on a scroll are one time uses but the question is how many spells come on purchised scrolls. Because it says when you find scrolls you have to roll a die to see how many spells were on the scroll when you find it, which implys that they were already used because wand also have a dice roll to see how many charges were left on them and when you purchase wands they are priced as if they have maximum charge.

A purchased scroll would only have the one spell on it. After all, the DMG entries/prices are for "scroll of X" - not "Scroll of X, Y, and Z."

A scroll you find in the dungeon might be different, because a monster (for whatever reason) might find the need to store multiple spells in this way for convenience. Just as a wand you find in a dungeon may have some of its charges used (perhaps against the band of adventurers that came before you, or against other creatures that inhabit the area.)

KillianHawkeye
2015-03-10, 01:24 AM
Personally, I see the ability to put multiple spells on a single scroll as an easy, RAW-legal way to get around the limitations of crafting, since making anything takes the full 8-hour "day" even if the market value is less than 1,000 gp. When players buy a scroll from a shop in my games, I generally have them be single-spell scrolls on the assumption that they were crafted individually for ease of sale. This allows for scrolls found in dungeons to still have a random collection of spells on them, while making it easy for people to purchase the exact number of scrolls that they would like to buy.

Grek
2015-03-10, 04:54 AM

The listed costs are for scrolls that have just one spell. To get the price of a scroll with multiple spells on it, add together the prices listed for every spell the scroll has. Also, there's no rule saying you can't have a scroll with the same spell written on it a bunch of times, if that's what you want to do. There's just no point to doing that because making it as a wand is cheaper.

atemu1234
2015-03-10, 06:44 AM
The listed costs are for scrolls that have just one spell. To get the price of a scroll with multiple spells on it, add together the prices listed for every spell the scroll has. Also, there's no rule saying you can't have a scroll with the same spell written on it a bunch of times, if that's what you want to do. There's just no point to doing that because making it as a wand is cheaper.

But scrolls only have one spell.

yellowrocket
2015-03-10, 12:20 PM
If i wrote the exact same spell multiple times in a scroll (same level) would it activate all of them at the same time?

Chronos
2015-03-10, 12:29 PM
No. A scroll with multiple spells on it is just like multiple scrolls taped together. The only advantage is that it lets you scribe more cheap spells in each day.

Psyren
2015-03-10, 12:43 PM
If i wrote the exact same spell multiple times in a scroll (same level) would it activate all of them at the same time?

No, you still have to activate each spell individually even if they're the same. And you have to read each one individually as well, just like you can't read two pages of a book at the same time.

yellowrocket
2015-03-10, 07:03 PM
There goes making the world's largest fireball.

Flickerdart
2015-03-10, 07:08 PM
There goes making the world's largest fireball.
The way to pull that off is to throw a necklace of fireballs at someone and then hit them with another fireball so that it explodes.

yellowrocket
2015-03-10, 07:20 PM
Hey now. I like your thinking.

Knaight
2015-03-10, 07:32 PM
The way to pull that off is to throw a necklace of fireballs at someone and then hit them with another fireball so that it explodes.

I prefer the locate city bomb. Even with the reading where it tosses everyone in the blast radius ten feet upwards and not out to the side, it's an extremely large fireball, low single target damage aside.