PDA

View Full Version : Divine Familiar

BettyBlack
2015-03-08, 07:13 AM
I have a character that I would like to be a Ruby Knight Vindictor, but for flavor reasons I would like a pseudodragon companion of some kind. A familiar would be nice, and really I could get by with some kind of companion that has telepathy and is preferably of a smaller size. The character is mute and has a telepathic companion to speak for him. Leadership is not allowed. Any ideas for how I could accomplish this? Would it be unbalanced to bend the rules and take Obtain Familiar and Improved Familiar as a divine caster? Thanks.

ShurikVch
2015-03-08, 10:48 AM
How about the Dragon Cohort feat from the Draconomicon?
It's required character level 9, but still...

There are several ways to get Familiar as divine caster (but RKV wouldn't progress it):
For example, Mystic Wanderer PrC gets Familiar at 2nd level

Inevitability
2015-03-08, 10:50 AM
Well, Adepts do get a familiar at 2nd level... And hey, they are still tier 4!

ShurikVch
2015-03-08, 01:36 PM
Well, Adepts do get a familiar at 2nd level... And hey, they are still tier 4! I actually thought about suggesting Adept (BTW, which variant is better, ordinary or Urban?)

The problem is: RKV required to Turn or Rebuke Undead.

Usual method - dip in Sacred Exorcist - may be not the best idea this time, because both Dismissal and Dispel Evil are not on Adept list. But, even if you get them, say, via Balance domain by dipping in Contemplative or Divine Agent, it it's mean 1st level of RKV at 14 level minimum (Adept 11/Contemplative 1/Crusader 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator 1)

It's possible to get Turn/Rebuke Undead by dipping in another class, but almost all of them are better divine casters than Adept (with the exception of Knight of the Raven and Holy Monk ACF). Even Binder, while not technically caster, is still higher tier than Adept

It's possible to get Turn/Rebuke Undead via feats: God-Touched + Divine Channeler (Dr#305) or Necromantic Bloodline + Kin Mastery (Dr#325). Alternately, get Familiar via chain Magical Training + Practiced Spellcaster + Obtain Familiar. (+ Improved Familiar) But it means spending 3-4 of what, 7 pre-epic feats?

The easiest way to get Rebuke Undead to Adept is, probably, a Grodd Goblin Adept ACF from Into the Dragons' Lair adventure. It gives Adept ability to Rebuke/Command Undead, which works only on Shadows.