PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Polearm Master charging someone question

Lord Set
2015-03-08, 07:14 AM
Polearm Master allows its user to take a reaction to do an opportunity attack when people enter their reach.

Does that works both ways? I mean, if the Polearm Master enters someone's reach, can he/she use the reaction to make an attack?

JRutterbush
2015-03-08, 08:15 AM
No. Polearm Master triggers when someone enters your reach, not when you move your reach to place someone else inside it.

Lord Set
2015-03-08, 08:35 AM
Do you have any official source?

Giant2005
2015-03-08, 08:37 AM
It triggers when someone enters your reach, not when you enter their's.

Lord Set
2015-03-08, 08:38 AM
Thing is, I read it that way too, but it is somewhat open to interpretation.

I'd like to know if anyone has confirmed with someone from Wizards on this.

Giant2005
2015-03-08, 08:44 AM
I'd like to know if anyone has confirmed with someone from Wizards on this.
I can't find anything about it on The Sage Advice. I guess no-one else has ever been confused by this feat before.

Daishain
2015-03-08, 09:05 AM
Two rules:

1. Opportunity attacks always trigger on someone else's turn

2. opportunity attacks only trigger when the opponent is moving under their own power

Both of them apply here, and both say no.

What you may be looking for is the charge mechanic, which is mostly just limited to lances. I don't think it should be, but it is what it is.

Slipperychicken
2015-03-08, 09:42 PM
No. Polearm Master triggers when someone enters your reach, not when you move your reach to place someone else inside it.

Do you have any official source?

It's simple English. A person doesn't "enter" a zone if it moves over him while he's standing still.

Lord Set
2015-03-08, 10:26 PM
Two rules:

1. Opportunity attacks always trigger on someone else's turn

2. opportunity attacks only trigger when the opponent is moving under their own power

Both of them apply here, and both say no.

What you may be looking for is the charge mechanic, which is mostly just limited to lances. I don't think it should be, but it is what it is.

Nah, I was just wondering if the talent was stronger than I thought.

Thanks for the clarification on the opp. attacks. :)

SliceandDiceKid
2015-03-08, 10:28 PM
I can't find anything about it on The Sage Advice. I guess no-one else has ever been confused by this feat before.

Lol
Thank you, Giant

Oscredwin
2015-03-08, 11:34 PM
Nah, I was just wondering if the talent was stronger than I thought.

It's already one of the strongest feats in the game.

holygroundj
2015-03-09, 08:28 AM
I know this has been answered but the relevant bit is that you cannot be forced to provoke an opportunity attack. It only triggers when you voluntarily move.