PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Designing a de-powered devil NPC

Totema
2015-03-08, 01:24 PM
Who doesn't like a villain campaign, right? In my last session, my players met an archdevil who was stripped of his corporeal form, and in return for ancient secret knowledge, they went on a quest to find a suitable host body to bind to his soul. They settled on a charismatic guard captain, who they abducted in the night and brought back to the devil's "lair" (more of a prison, really) for him to possess.

Now, for planning out the next session, I want to actually have stats for this devil character. But he hasn't yet regained his former power. I could simply use the stats of the knight (the basis for the aforementioned guard captain) but a CR 3 NPC wouldn't be much help for my players at this point (3 PCs at level 13) I also considered transplanting a few warlock abilities onto him, but I haven't really committed to it yet. I also plan on making him stronger as the adventure stretches on, eventually ending up with him in his full, archdevil-y glory. Anyone have any suggestions for designing this guy?

JNAProductions
2015-03-08, 01:32 PM
Use PC levels for the most part, and once he really gets his powers back, design him as a high-CR monster.

Gritmonger
2015-03-08, 01:36 PM
Use PC levels for the most part, and once he really gets his powers back, design him as a high-CR monster.

In the meantime, play up the Fiend-as-load aspect. Have him ask the players for advice, on how to operate this limited fleshy thing, how he should build up its tolerances, what he should focus on.

Then frankenstein it up - level him once or twice per session, adding whatever seems appropriate from player advice - Fighter for "you need to be able to attack others" and such - monk if told to "make do with whatever you can" - mage if told to "stay out of the way and try and do something useful" -

Let the players have a role in how their assistant "grows" over time.

Totema
2015-03-08, 01:40 PM
Use PC levels for the most part, and once he really gets his powers back, design him as a high-CR monster.In the meantime, play up the Fiend-as-load aspect. Have him ask the players for advice, on how to operate this limited fleshy thing, how he should build up its tolerances, what he should focus on.

Then frankenstein it up - level him once or twice per session, adding whatever seems appropriate from player advice - Fighter for "you need to be able to attack others" and such - monk if told to "make do with whatever you can" - mage if told to "stay out of the way and try and do something useful" -

Let the players have a role in how their assistant "grows" over time.

That is a super neat idea! :smallsmile: If my players are smart, they'll figure out a way to help him adapt to his new body while keeping in the back of their heads what his shortcomings are, and exploit them if he decides to turn on them. (Or rather, when he decides to. :smallwink:)

Occasional Sage
2015-03-09, 01:58 AM
The DMG has rules for tweaking monster stats to adjust CR (page 274 if I remember right, but I don't have my book on hand). There's a big list of abilities and their CR effects, which you could use (in conjunction with downgrading AC, HP, and damage) to lower the fiend to the danger level you want.

jkat718
2015-03-09, 09:12 AM
@Occasional Sage: p. 274 has the chart of typical Monster Statistics by Challenge Rating (CR, PROF, AC, HP, atk, DPR, and Save DC). Other useful resources are the Experience Points by Challenge Rating Table on p. 275 (also in the Monster Manual, on p. 9), the Hit Dice by Size chart on p. 276 (+1 hit size per category, starting with a d4 for Tiny creatures), the Effective Hit Points Based on Resistances and Immunities chart on p. 277 (varies by expected CR), and the two charts I think you were referring to, the Monster Features table on p. 280-281 (gives the Effect on Challenge Rating for the various abilities you can grant a monster, and where you can find examples of those abilities) and the NPC Features table on p. 282 (gives the racial bonuses when using various creatures as races for NPCs).

Myzz
2015-03-09, 10:28 AM
Or... you could have the Guard Captain race swap to a Tiefling...

Or... Merge Guard Captain's Race with Tiefline...

either way, yeah add PC levels on top till he gets to his former glory...

Perhaps Gestalt him with Warlock... he's his own Fiend Patron =)

Occasional Sage
2015-03-09, 10:57 PM
Or... you could have the Guard Captain race swap to a Tiefling...

Or... Merge Guard Captain's Race with Tiefline...

either way, yeah add PC levels on top till he gets to his former glory...

Perhaps Gestalt him with Warlock... he's his own Fiend Patron =)

Gestalt....

This is a 5e thread, not 3.P.

Envyus
2015-03-10, 01:01 AM
Give him the stats of a Cambion maybe.

jkat718
2015-03-10, 02:26 PM
@Envyus: That might actually be the best solution. Take the Knight NPC as a base, add CHA to AC, give Alter Self, Command, and Detect Magic 3/day each, Plane Shift (self only) 1/day, and give it the Fiendish Charm ability.