PDA

View Full Version : MM2 LAs

weckar
2015-03-08, 02:01 PM
I found today that MM2 (and 5?) don't have listed LAs for most (any) monsters. Can someone please help me out? Is there listings of these elsewhere? Why did they leave them out to begin with?

DeltaEmil
2015-03-08, 02:09 PM
Here's (http://www.adnd3egame.com/documents/update_booklet.pdf) the free update booklet that has rules for LA and stuff to be applied to the Monster Manual 2.

MM 2 was a 3.0 rulebook, which had different rules back then, which is why there's no LA listed in those older statblocks.

torrasque666
2015-03-08, 02:12 PM
I know that MM2 at least, is a 3.0 book and LA wasn't a thing back then. However, the creatures that are suitable for players usually include a "X as player characters" section detailing what level they would start at.

Example: A Loxo, page 144-145.

A loxo PC’s effectivecharacter level (ECL) is
equal to its class level + 7; thus,
a 1st-level loxo ranger has an
ECL of 8 and is the equivalent
of an 8th-level character.
It also has 5 RHD

So a Loxo has an LA of +2 according to this.

weckar
2015-03-08, 02:15 PM
Would have been much more convenient to restart the numbering with 3.5, no?

I am also seeing the same problem in MMV though...

DeltaEmil
2015-03-08, 02:19 PM
Monster Manual 4 and 5 do have Level Adjustment listed, just not in the statblocks. They're mentioned in the various sections like "Creature X with class levels" or "Creature X as characters". Those that don't have such sections are not meant to be played by players.

weckar
2015-03-08, 02:23 PM
I see. As a rule, we have never bothered with 'meant to' in MMI and MMIII... as a group, at least. I'll share the unfortunate news tomorrow.

Thurbane
2015-03-09, 03:56 PM
I wish all the books had the formatting of MM III.

I didn't like the later stat blocks...

atemu1234
2015-03-10, 07:33 AM
I wish all the books had the formatting of MM III.

I didn't like the later stat blocks...

Same. Whenever I homebrew something, I use a format that's considerably different from the later ones.

Conveniently, I also dislike the statblocks used for NPCs where they list out information in a paragraph. That's just annoying.