PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Fighter build

Vexic
2015-03-08, 02:22 PM
Need help building a godly fighter. (I'm a newb I admit it)

I want to focus on dmg. To do the most it the group. (Currently I only have a dragon blood rager and a ranger that can shoot 5 or 6 arrows for each of his attacks).

Currently we will all start at 18 and go til 23ish.

What feats should I take. Should I focus on crit, vital strike, or something else?

If I have to sacrifice some damage to add great utility such as (high AC were I can barely be hit, tripping my opponent where he has to waste a turn to get up, or break/disarm them for their weapon) would be accepable.

Ssalarn
2015-03-08, 04:18 PM
If you're a level 18 Fighter, don't take Vital Strike; you won't be able to push your damage die high enough to make it worthwhile.

Are you looking at playing a single-class Fighter, or is multi-classing an option? I could actually see single-classing being an option because you'll be starting so close to the capstone, and automatic crit confirmation is the ability that pushes the Fighter's damage all the way past the Barbarian.

Are archetypes an option? There's a few that can really help, especially Eldritch Guardian, a newer archetype that gives the Fighter a familiar, an improved version of Bravery, and some key class skills. Since you're starting at 18th level you shouldn't miss the two feats the archetype sacrifices for the familiar.

Are you planning on going melee, or ranged? You're a high enough level that switch-hitting is perfectly viable, but you should still be focusing more on one or the other.

If you're going melee, do you prefer a particular fighting style? I'm guessing that you're considering two-handed since you asked about Vital Strike, but it never hurts to ask.

Vexic
2015-03-14, 02:09 PM
Arch-types are an option. It really doesn't matter to me if I multi-class or single class. I just want to be a damage power house.

Vexic
2015-03-14, 02:23 PM
I have not chosen a two-weapon. i only saw that vital strike quadrupled the damage. Didn't know it required a 2handed weapon.

I don't know anything about fighting styles but am more that willing to give them a shot.

I prefer to be a melee fighter. Though about duel wielding, more attacks, more chances for crit right?

but none of that is set in stone. I will do and try anything just as long as I am an insane damage dealer.

Elricaltovilla
2015-03-14, 02:35 PM
Vital strike does not require a two handed weapon, its just that two handed weapons tend to have higher damage dice, which you'd need in order to get the most out of Vital Strike. By the way, the Vital Strike line of feats sucks.

Here's a Fighter Guide (http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1403/13/1403131630746.pdf). Rogue Eidolon, who wrote the guide, is pretty knowledgeable about this kind of thing. Read through it and see if there's something in there that really interests you.

What books do you have available to use?

This may not be something you want to hear, but are you dead set on being a fighter? They're not especially great and readily get stuck in one-trick-pony mode. There are other classes that can crank the damage out and have a lot more versatility and useability. Especially considering your party has a bloodrager and an archer ranger (who could use some help if he's only shooting 5 arrows per full attack at 18, unless you mean 5 arrows per single attack which isn't possible as far as I'm aware), damage is not something your group really needs.

Ssalarn
2015-03-14, 03:41 PM
Here's a Fighter Guide (http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1403/13/1403131630746.pdf). Rogue Eidolon, who wrote the guide, is pretty knowledgeable about this kind of thing. Read through it and see if there's something in there that really interests you.

Of some note, Rogue Eidolon is AKA Mark Seifter of the Pathfinder Design Team, so the guide has that lending legitimacy to it.

My personal suggestion? If you're set on playing a Fighter, pick an archetype that matches your intended goal. The Two-Handed Fighter archetype is good for dishing out big hits, and would combo well with a weapon like the nodachi that also has a high crit range.

If two-weapon fighting is your thing, the Two Weapon Warrior gets the ability to make two attacks as a standard action, though you'll want to avoid the Vital Strike feats with this build.

I might also suggest you consider the Slayer, or if you're okay with a bit of complexity, the Brawler. They have a lot of the Fighter's strengths while being better rounded and more versatile.

Vexic
2015-03-14, 04:17 PM
thanks for the info