PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Misty Step and "you"

Glarnog
2015-03-08, 03:06 PM
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop/players-basic-rules

"Briefly surrounded by silvery mist, you teleport up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space that you can see."

Wondering what all is included in the you? Porting around nude sounds fun, just perhaps too specific to be of much common use.

So you're now celebrating your birthday up to 30 feet away? Or you and all your possessions teleport? Or you and all your possessions and anything else you can hold up to max load? Or your stuff, other stuff and perhaps other characters or not characters living, dead or unconscious as long as under max load?

Thanks

rollingForInit
2015-03-08, 03:24 PM
Would make it pretty impractical to use. There are several class features worded in the same way. The Shadow Monk's teleport, and the Fey Warlock's teleport at taking damage. The Shadow Monk's ability is very much combat-oriented, and would not make sense if it didn't include any equipment.

I don't think any spells specify anything about carrying capacity, except Dimension Door. But not even Teleport does that, and Teleport brings a whole group.

Safe to say that you any such abilities allow you to teleport while carrying your carrying capacity, at least. And no other creatures, is what I'd rule.

Slipperychicken
2015-03-08, 05:58 PM
Teleports, invisibility, and polymorphs in dnd are all intended to include equipment. That's the way it's been across multiple editions, and I'm sure the devs will confirm that if someone asks them. I'd personally rule it as including worn /carried items and creatures up to your max load.

pibby
2015-03-08, 06:23 PM
I think a better question is, "if you are restrained by shackles, ropes, or etc. can you choose to not include things that are meant to bind you when you use Misty Step once you teleport?"
I'm pretty sure that if you're 'handling" something, especially something that is anchored to the ground, it doesn't teleport with you.

Occasional Sage
2015-03-08, 07:05 PM
I think a better question is, "if you are restrained by shackles, ropes, or etc. can you choose to not include things that are meant to bind you when you use Misty Step once you teleport?"
I'm pretty sure that if you're 'handling" something, especially something that is anchored to the ground, it doesn't teleport with you.

I'd rule that handcuffs go with you, but shackles attached to the wall stay put (you come out of the shackles more easily than the shackles come out of the wall). You don't get to pick and choose which of your stuff (including handcuffs, which are 90% yours after all) make the leap.

Slipperychicken
2015-03-08, 08:40 PM

I would consider shackles and other bindings to be worn items, but they won't come with you if they're securely attached to something that exceeds your weight limit (like a wall or a big rock). If you just tied a rope around your handcuffs and wound it around a boulder, then I'd say the handcuff would still come with you, but the rope and rock wouldn't.

Galen
2015-03-08, 11:02 PM
Also, I would rule that your Familiar (if securely held in hand or stored in a robe's pocket) will teleport with you, even if it's not RAW.