PDA

View Full Version : An Interesting Thought:

Fax Celestis
2007-04-09, 03:46 PM
Ban all base classes but the Tome of Battle base classes. Take the Tome of Battle classes and add spellcasting progression (known and per-day) as a Bard to each.

Give the Crusader access to all Paladin/Blackguard and Cleric spells, casting only within alignment restrictions. Base bonus spells and saves on Cha.

Give the Swordsage access to all Druid/Ranger spells. Base bonus spells and saves on Wis.

Give the Warblade access to all Wizard/Sorceror spells. Base bonus spells and saves on Int.

Feasible? It's a bit rough, I know, but whatcha think?

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-04-09, 03:52 PM
A warblade with Arcane spells? I'm game.

All in all, its pretty tasty.

WildBill
2007-04-09, 04:05 PM
It spounds like it would make for an awesome gish campaign. And eliminate a lot of the game breaking spells while still having characters with tons of cool abilities and options for problem solving.

GryffonDurime
2007-04-09, 04:06 PM
Basically all characters are robust, complete with plenty of options for every encounter.

Nifty, though a bit involved in the mere fact that most people would have trouble remembering everything they -can- do in any given round.

Indon
2007-04-09, 04:08 PM
Interesting for game balance and its' ramifications, kinda eeeh for flavor. If anything, wouldn't the Swordsage be more likely to get Wizard/Sorceror casting, and the Warblade more likely to get, I dunno, a more martially oriented casting list like Hexblade or Assassin?

Everyman
2007-04-09, 04:12 PM
It's a very interesting thought.

Since every class is essentially equal is potential, it means that you have a lot of potential for more dramatic gameplay. I worry that A) there is simply too much potential for players to utilize and B) that it will complicate character building a tad too much.

You may want to limit the spells to just Core materials, lest the growing options get out of hand.

However, I'd love to try my hand at something like this someday. It kind of reminds me of the magical swordsman-style anime my fiance loves.:smallsmile:

Assassinfox
2007-04-09, 04:14 PM
What about arcane spell failure?

Fax Celestis
2007-04-09, 04:19 PM
What about arcane spell failure?

Wouldn't change, so there'd probably be a lot of Mithral and Twilight equipment out there.

However, remember the only one who's got to worry about ASF is the Warblade. Divine spells don't have to deal with that.

Now, an addendum: noting the lack of a skillful role, I would add the Spellthief to this mix, with two changes: bard casting (with all sor/wiz spells), and the ability to steal the use of a maneuver.