PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Personality types and RPG characters

Nutella Knight
2015-03-08, 10:31 PM
I was wondering if any of you has also taken the Jung personality test and imagined how some of your characters or famous archetypes might fit.

As an example, I can imagine a lawful stupid paladin embodying the worst aspects of ISTJ. While the BBEG of my campaign was a pragmatic INTJ wizard that would make Tywin Lannister proud.

I'll leave a link to such a test here if anyone wants to take a look. http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp :smallsmile:

Talyn
2015-03-09, 03:30 PM
Paladins are the classic ENTJ. There are RULES! People ought to follow them! I know in my heart that righteousness will prevail, and I'll kick your fundament if you disagree!

(I'm an ESTJ, myself, or at least I was a decade ago when I took the test).

5a Violista
2015-03-09, 07:12 PM
Challenge Accepted! I, Tragak, will prove that a character who is obviously an xxFP personality can also be just as obviously the classic Lawful Good Paladin :smallbiggrin:

That's funny, because as I read the description about INFP, what came to my mind was "This is the textbook definition of a paladin." (I'm also ignoring the fact that a large proportion of INFPs are musicians, because you can be an intensely devoted idealist who loves flexibility, interpersonal feelings, and freedom of individuality (which are all hallmarks of INFP) without being a bard.)

To make it easier for you to write your classic Lawful Good Paladin, I found the relevant descriptions of INFP and Paladins so you can compare them together.

In this spoiler, I only included attributes that are associated with paladins, bolding the ones most associated.
INFP/Healer/Idealist (Idealist is a broader category that includes all the -NF-): "INFPs are driven by a strong sense of right and wrong" "INFPs are one of the rarer types" "[...] focus much of their energy on an inner world dominated by intesne feeling and deeply held ethics. They seek an external life that is in keeping with these values. Loyal to the people and causes important to them, INFPs can quickly spot opportunities to implement their ideals." "Using the more modern interpretation, the cognitive functions of the INFP are as follows: [...] forming judgments according to criteria that are often intangible[...] balances an internal set of values such as harmony[...] innately senses what is true and what is false in a situation" "Healers care deeply about causes that interest them, and they often pursue those causes with selfless devotion. They are highly compassionate and empathetic to the needs of others, seeking to bring peace, health, and integrity to their companions and to society at large." "[they] tend to [...] have a strong sense of right and wrong and an idealistic worldview. They are deeply comitted to things that are positive or good and may be inspired to make extraordinary sacrifices in attempts to achieve their ideals. [Like a certain female paladin from OotS] they are prone to errors of fact as they follow their feelings more than they follow logical analysis." "Their devotion to idealism may be frowned upon and may even be punished." "Healers are often better at detecing this inner turmoil[... they] seek unity of mind, body and spirit." "They value harmony and integrity in human relationships, but often find these values to be out of step with the more concrete pursuits of the rest of the world. [...] But those differences—an ethical nature, a devotion to ideals, a commitment to harmonious interaction—are in fact some of their greatest strengths." "[...]given the Healer's rare ability to see the positive qualities that lie beneath the surface." "Generally thoughtful and considerate, Healers are good listeners and put people at ease. [...]This sincerity is sensed by others, making healers valued friends and confidants. They do not like conflict and go to great lengths to avoid it." "Perfectionists, Healers have very high standards. Consequently, they are usually hard on themselves[...] They may have problems working [...] in a group, because their standards may be higher than those of other members of the group. This can lead them to become overly controlling. Healers are often well served to balance their high ideals with the requirements of everyday living." "When their value system is threatened, Healers can become aggressive defenders of their cause" "Idealists are [...] cooperative in pursuing their goals. Their greatest strength is diplomatic integration." "[they] strive to discover [...] how they can become their best possible self [...] and Idealists yearn to help others make the journey too." "They seek careers facilitating the personal growth of others[...]or other pursuits that promote the happiness and fulfillment of individuals and society." "The lives of Idealists are guided by their devotion to their personal ethics. They are altruistic, taking satisfaction in the well-being of others. They believe in the basic goodness of the world and of the people in it." "With an eye toward the future, they view life as a journey toward a deeper spiritual knowledge." "The Idealists' self-esteem is rooted in empathic action; their self-respect in their benevolence[...]" "They aspire to wisdom that transcends ego and the bounds of the material world." "Idealists strive to be catalysts of positive change." "Since Idealists often go to great lengths to try to ensure that everyone's needs are met, they can become frustrated when others fail to do the same." "Idealists have a strong drive to work fo the betterment of a group or organization" "Idealists seek harmony[...] working toward solutions that respect the needs of all parties involved."

Now, Paladin and its varients (from Pathfinder), with those specifically mentioned in the INFP description bolded :
"Through a select, worthy few shines the power of the divine. Called paladins, these noble souls dedicate their swords and lives to the battle against evil. Knights, crusaders, and law-bringers, paladins seek not just to spread divine justice but to embody the teachings of the virtuous deities they serve. In pursuit of their lofty goals, they adhere to ironclad laws of morality and discipline. As reward for their righteousness, these holy champions are blessed with boons to aid them in their quests: powers to banish evil, heal the innocent, and inspire the faithful. Although their convictions might lead them into conflict with the very souls they would save, paladins weather endless challenges of faith and dark temptations, risking their lives to do right and fighting to bring about a brighter future."
"Paladins serve as beacons for their allies within the chaos of battle. While deadly opponents of evil, they can also empower goodly souls to aid in their crusades. Their magic and martial skills also make them well suited to defending others and blessing the fallen with the strength to continue fighting."
"Holy warriors and defenders of the faith, paladins know that the only thing more abhorrent than an evil creature is a fundamentally good creature too timid to strive against the forces of darkness. Paladins are divine champions, gladly giving their lives in the service of light and justice, asking only that they may protect the innocent and cleanse the world to the best of their ability. Theirs is a hard path, requiring great sacrifice and ultimate devotion to a moral code, yet with her last breath a paladin can take comfort in a life of absolute righteousness."
"Some paladins see themselves as the last line of defense between the teeming hordes of evil and the innocent folk trying to make a living in a harsh, unforgiving world. These defenders spend their lives protecting others and taking on foes that the common man should not even know exist. To aid them in their holy mission, they have special powers to protect themselves and those around them."
"Paladins are known for their charity and for tending to the sick. The hospitaler takes to this calling above all others, spending much of her time healing the poor, and giving aid and succor to those in need."
"Paladins as a general rule, venerate the gods of good and purity, but some take this a step further, dedicating themselves to a specific deity and furthering the cause of the faith. These sacred servants are rewarded for their devotion with additional spells and powerful allies. A sacred servant must select one deity to worship."
"While paladins often are seen mounted atop a loyal steed, the shining knight is the true symbol of mounted bravery. They are never far from their steeds and are always clad in brightly polished armor. "
"Undead are an abomination in the eyes of the just and righteous. It is no surprise then that there are some paladins that dedicate themselves to wiping these unholy terrors from the world."
"Some paladins use their gifts to focus on the holy light that shines within their souls. With the gifts of purity and redemption, these paladins spend much of their lives helping others find the true path. Unleashing this power takes patience and comes at a steep price."

Actually, I'm pretty sure you could fit any personality type into any class with just a little bit of thought, given how broad every one of them are. Confirmation bias, and all.

Edit:
In response to the opening post:
I was wondering if any of you has also taken the Jung personality test and imagined how some of your characters or famous archetypes might fit.

I can generally imagine my characters' personalities pretty easily. However, one time, I had a great deal of difficulty in characterizing a new character and what she would do in general situations, so I browsed through that test's answers, looking for which one would best fit her. Then, I took the test imagining what responses she would give, so I could ensure that the one which I imagined her to be was actually what she was. Then, I reread the description. Reading that description gave me inspiration on how she would act in more situations.

jaydubs
2015-03-09, 07:31 PM
Paladins are the classic ENTJ. There are RULES! People ought to follow them! I know in my heart that righteousness will prevail, and I'll kick your fundament if you disagree!

(I'm an ESTJ, myself, or at least I was a decade ago when I took the test).

Admittedly it's been awhile since I looked at these types of things, but I don't think ENTJ is the classic paladin. Maybe the guy that founds a paladin order is ENTJ, but probably not the paladin on the street, getting his smite all up in your business.

I figure the classic paladin is E (people person) x (can care about the small or little picture) F (feeling over rationality) J (goes out and does things).

Tragak
2015-03-09, 07:36 PM
That's funny, because as I read the description about INFP, what came to my mind was "This is the textbook definition of a paladin." (I'm also ignoring the fact that a large proportion of INFPs are musicians, because you can be an intensely devoted idealist who loves flexibility, interpersonal feelings, and freedom of individuality (which are all hallmarks of INFP) without being a bard.) Bingo :smallwink:

Actually, I'm pretty sure you could fit any personality type into any class with just a little bit of thought, given how broad every one of them are. Confirmation bias, and all. Personally, I wouldn't bother complaining about it being "confirmation bias" or anything like that: I love the idea that an ENFJ Wizard, ISTP Wizard, ISTP Barbarian, and ENFJ Barbarian could all exist and still have recognizable comparisons/contrasts. In fact, I actually wouldn't see the point of saying that there couldn't be any specific combination of personality and skillset.

I can generally imagine my characters' personalities pretty easily. However, one time, I had a great deal of difficulty in characterizing a new character and what she would do in general situations, so I browsed through that test's answers, looking for which one would best fit her. Then, I took the test imagining what responses she would give, so I could ensure that the one which I imagined her to be was actually what she was. Then, I reread the description. Reading that description gave me inspiration on how she would act in more situations. I do that too, and I love it when that happens :smallbiggrin:

Tragak
2015-03-09, 07:42 PM
I figure the classic paladin is E (people person) x (can care about the small or little picture) F (feeling over rationality) J (goes out and does things). Hey, Ps can go out and do things too, we're just less concrete about how to do it. In fact, I could just as easily say that Ps are the ones who do things on impulse while Js are busy getting lost in the procedures :smalltongue:

Eisenhower (ISTJ): Bypass [the city of] Trier. It will take four divisions to capture it.
Patton (ESTP): Have taken Trier with two divisions. What do you want me to do? Give it back?

mikeejimbo
2015-03-09, 11:34 PM
I can attest to that. I'm an INTJ and I don't do anything because I'm so afraid of doing it wrong.

I usually play clerics who don't like the limelight and no one really understands, but loves everyone and everything.

Basilisk010
2015-04-01, 10:50 AM
I got ISTP with a 1% preference for the S.

...Come to think of it, almost every character I've played as over my 18 years of living has been introverted and methodical. I just can't get into character if the character in question doesn't match my personality (which I hate sometimes, what if I wanna roleplay a brash and dependable extrovert Dwarf?) Even the character I made just for the campaign coming up on Friday (I'm so excited!), who is a fighter, has an Intellect of 14 for roleplay purposes.