PDA

View Full Version : Spellcaster/Warrior Balance

MethodicalMeat
2007-04-09, 04:14 PM
Alright, I've been looking at this for a while, and I believe this observation to be essentially true. At low levels, spellcaster are weaker than warriors. However, when they reach about mid level, the balance seems to shift the other way, in fact, at later levels, warriors require magical gear to survive (at least in my experience), which is provided by spellcasters. Comments?

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-09, 04:19 PM
So, you're basically, just... asking for the same discussion happening in five other threads to happen again in this thread.

MethodicalMeat
2007-04-09, 04:23 PM
So, you're basically, just... asking for the same discussion happening in five other threads to happen again in this thread.

Well...uh...sorry? I honestly wasn't part of that particular discussion.

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-09, 04:25 PM
What, "but warriors rely on magic items"? Of course they do, magic items are a part of D&D "balance". Characters are assumed to have a certain amount of items.

Morty
2007-04-09, 04:42 PM
Alright, since this thread doesn't have any future, I have a question: does the spells gained on new levels in wizard's spellbook-i.e how much would it cost to scribe them- count against Wizards WBL? I'm a bit confused about that though I guess they don't.
And yeah, after low levels all characters are knee-deep in magical toys, especially non-casters. It's the thing I most dislike in D&D.

Bag_of_Holding
2007-04-09, 04:52 PM
does the spells gained on new levels in wizard's spellbook-i.e how much would it cost to scribe them- count against Wizards WBL?

I'm quite sure that it won't cost a copper. It will however, take up a few pages from the wizard's spell book. It is assumed that those new spells the wizard learn are a part of the "on-going" research that is a quasi-natural (haha) part of any wizard's functional portion of the brain.

Jasdoif
2007-04-09, 05:21 PM
Alright, I've been looking at this for a while, and I believe this observation to be essentially true. At low levels, spellcaster are weaker than warriors. However, when they reach about mid level, the balance seems to shift the other way, in fact, at later levels, warriors require magical gear to survive (at least in my experience), which is provided by spellcasters. Comments?You are quite correct. Of course, everyone needs magical gear at those high levels, not just warriors.

I have a question: does the spells gained on new levels in wizard's spellbook-i.e how much would it cost to scribe them- count against Wizards WBL? I'm a bit confused about that though I guess they don't.No, they don't have to pay for their level-gained spells.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#writingaNewSpellintoaSpellbook

Note that a wizard does not have to pay these costs in time or gold for the spells she gains for free at each new level.

Marius
2007-04-09, 08:11 PM
Alright, I've been looking at this for a while, and I believe this observation to be essentially true. At low levels, spellcaster are weaker than warriors. However, when they reach about mid level, the balance seems to shift the other way, in fact, at later levels, warriors require magical gear to survive (at least in my experience), which is provided by spellcasters. Comments?

I don't think that casters are weaker than other classes at low levels, if anything they are all balanced.