PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Improvisational Adept - fun with immediate actions! PEACH

Heliomance
2015-03-09, 06:43 AM
Inspired by this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuJnvC8voJY

Improvisational Adept

I play the music of life, and I dance to the beat of magic. All power flows, and I flow with it. - Renette Songweaver, Improvisational Adept

improvisational Adepts know that magic has a rhythm, a beat, and that if you dance to it, if you lose yourself in the world, then great power can be had.

BECOMING AN IMPROVISATIONAL ADEPT
Almost every Improvisational Adept has at least some levels in Bard, though there are a few other disciplines that can serve as routes to the free and easy improvisation needed for these techniques. Above all, this class is for those who understand that magic has a rhythm, and that music can shape and guide it. Beyond that, though some choose to focus more on their magic, and some more on their performance.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Skills: Perform (any instrument, sing, or dance) 10 ranks, Spellcraft 10 ranks, Concentration 6 ranks
Feats: Versatile Performer
Special: Bardic Music class feature, Virtuoso Performance, Greater Dragonsong, or any similar performance-based technique.

Class Skills
The Improvisational Adept's class skills are Balance, Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Disguise, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (nature), Listen, Perform, Profession, Sleight of Hand, Spellcraft, Spot, Tumble, and Use Magic Device.
Skills Points at Each Level: 6 + int

Hit Dice: d6

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special
Spellcasting

1st

+0

+0

+0

+2
Bardic Music, Improvisational Flow
+1 level of existing restricted spellcasting class

2nd

+1

+0

+0

+3
Flowing Defense, Improvisational Spellcasting
+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd

+2

+1

+1

+3
Improvisational Cover (20%)

4th

+3

+1

+1

+4
Improvisational Motion

5th

+3

+1

+1

+4
Inhuman Reactions

6th

+4

+2

+2

+5
Improvisational Cover (50%)

7th

+5

+2

+2

+5
Improvisational Disruption

8th

+6

+2

+2

+6
-

9th

+6

+3

+3

+6
Improvisational Cover (total)

10th

+7

+3

+3

+7
Inhuman Reactions

Weapon Proficiencies: You do not gain any armor or weapon proficiencies.
Spellcasting: At each even-numbered level, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in a spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. At each odd-numbered level, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in a restricted spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level (restricted is here defined as any class which does not gain access to spells above 6th level). You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one spellcasting class before becoming an improvisational adept, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

Bardic Music: Improvisational Adept levels stack with Bard levels and any other Bardic Music-granting classes to determine uses per day of bardic music. For the purposes of this class, Virtuoso Performance, Greater Dragonsong, and other similar abilities are counted as Bardic Music. If you possessed more than one of these abilities prior to becoming an Improvisational Adept, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining uses per day.

Improvisational Flow (Su): As a standard action once per encounter, you may expend a use of bardic music to enter a state of improvisational flow. If you have the Undersong, Harmonize, or Haste spells available, you may cast one of them as part of the same action used to activate this ability. You play, sing, or dance with no preset pattern, adapting your performance to the situation around you. While using this ability, you enter an almost trance-like state, seeing everything, reacting with fluid speed to events around you. For as long as your Flow lasts, you may activate any bardic music effect you know as an immediate action, without using an additional use of bardic music. Being in the state of Improvisational Flow is also required to use any of the Improvisational abilities granted by this class. Using any of these abilities or beginning a new bardic music effect forces you to change your song, and immediately ends any other bardic music or Improvisational abilities you are using.

Improvisational Flow lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier, and you are fatigued at the end of this duration. Maintaining it does not cost any actions, however you must spend it constantly playing, singing, or dancing - so you can only attack with a weapon if it is one you can hold and use while performing. You are not restricted from spellcasting while in this state - you are able to adapt your performance on the fly to substitute for any required verbal and somatic components.

Flowing Defense (Ex): While playing, your zen-like awareness of the world around you allows you to react to danger with uncanny speed. While in a state of Improvisational Flow, you gain a +1 insight bonus to AC and Reflex saves for every two class levels you possess.

Improvisational Spellcasting (Su): While under the effects of Improvisational Flow, once per turn as an immediate action, you may expend a use of bardic music and make a Perform check to cast any spell you know of 1st level or lower with a normal casting time of 1 full round action or less. When you use this ability, you sacrifice your next action of the type you would normally need to cast the spell. The Perform DC is 15 plus three times the level of the spell. If you fail this check, you lose the bardic music use, the spell, and the immediate action, but not your next action. At 4th level you may use this ability to cast 2nd level spells, at 6th level you may cast 3rd level spells, at 8th level you may cast 4th level spells, and at 10th level you may cast 5th level spells.

Improvisational Cover (Su): You can weave together the threads of magic in the blink of an eye as a potent defense. While under the effects of Improvisational Flow, as an immediate action you may grant yourself or an ally 20% concealment against attacks, though unlike normal concealment this does not enable the target to hide. This concealment lasts until you use another Improvisational ability, a bardic music ability, or your Flow ends. At 6th level this ability improves to grant 50% concealment. At 9th level, you may instead expend a use of bardic music to grant the target total cover against a single attack.

Improvisational Motion (Su): You can direct the threads of magic to speed an ally, letting them evade attacks that would otherwise hit them, or get into position to attack with eyeblurring speed. While under the effects of Improvisational Flow, as an immediate action, you may grant an ally (including yourself) an extra move action to be taken immediately. Either you or the target must sacrifice their next move action.

Inhuman Reactions (Su): You can fall so deep into the embrace of your music that the world appears to glide by to your eyes. While under the effects of Improvisational Flow, you gain an additional immediate action every turn. At 10th level, you gain another additional immediate action, giving you three total immediate actions per turn.

Improvisational Disruption (Su): Your music can attack the patterns of magic as they are being formed. While under the effects of Improvisational Flow, as an immediate action, you may expend a use of bardic music, make a Perform check, and target an enemy in the process of casting a spell. They must make a Concentration check opposed by your Perform check. Any bonuses they have to caster level checks for the purposes of resisting dispels also apply to their Concentration check. If they fail, they lose the spell as if you had Counterspelled it.

JoshuaZ
2015-03-10, 12:49 PM
This seems well done. The spell-progression rule is a little strange but I get why you did it.

I wonder whether there should just be a whole host of Lindsey Stirling inspired PrCs. Almost every one of her videos lends itself to a natural bard PrC.

Heliomance
2015-03-11, 06:33 AM
How is it from a balance point of view? The action economy is so important, something like this could very easily end up significantly overpowered. I hope I managed to get it right, but I'm not confident.

JoshuaZ
2015-03-11, 04:36 PM
How is it from a balance point of view? The action economy is so important, something like this could very easily end up significantly overpowered. I hope I managed to get it right, but I'm not confident.

One issue:

You can fall so deep into the embrace of your music that the world appears to glide by to your eyes. While under the effects of Improvisational Flow, you gain an additional immediate action every turn. At 10th level, you gain two additional immediate actions, giving you three total immediate actions per turn.

Doesn't this mean you have four immediate actions? Incidentally, four immediate actions is a heck of a lot. Even 3 may be too many. Maybe make the additional immediate actions require either sacrificing a use of a bardic music or a first level or higher spell slot? That way they have to at least use some resource for it?

Heliomance
2015-03-12, 01:28 AM
One issue:

Doesn't this mean you have four immediate actions? Incidentally, four immediate actions is a heck of a lot. Even 3 may be too many. Maybe make the additional immediate actions require either sacrificing a use of a bardic music or a first level or higher spell slot? That way they have to at least use some resource for it?

No, three. That's why I clarified "giving you three total immediate actions".

I did wonder about charging a Bardic music use, but most of the stronger things they can do with those actions already cost one. Not sure.

Heliomance
2015-04-30, 05:14 AM
Clarified Inhuman Reactions, and opened it up a little for non-Bards. Is it clear how the Bardic Music alternative stuff works? It was hard to word clearly.

KrimsonNekros
2015-05-18, 11:46 AM
I'm confused by what you mean with a performance based technique.

Heliomance
2015-05-19, 04:58 AM
There are assorted abilities that function in a similar way and with similar flavour to Bardic Music, and I wanted to open it up to any of them. I mentioned two that I know of off the top of my head, but there may well be others, and I didn't want to exclude them. Basically, if an ability "feels" similar enough to Bardic Music that you think it should count, it probably does. Uses per day, can be used for various different effects, based, at least fluffwise, on some sort of performance.

Macabaret
2015-05-20, 05:46 PM
According to the text, when you gain Inhuman Reactions, you get a benefit, and that benefit improves at level 10. But according to the table, you gain Inhuman Reactions at level 10.

The text and table don't seem to match. Are we to assume that the table should read a gain of Inhuman Reactions at level 7 (improved at 10), and Improvisational Disruption at 10th? Or is there a different typo? Or am I just reading it wrong?

Heliomance
2015-05-21, 01:28 AM
According to the text, when you gain Inhuman Reactions, you get a benefit, and that benefit improves at level 10. But according to the table, you gain Inhuman Reactions at level 10.

The text and table don't seem to match. Are we to assume that the table should read a gain of Inhuman Reactions at level 7 (improved at 10), and Improvisational Disruption at 10th? Or is there a different typo? Or am I just reading it wrong?

Inhuman Reactions is listed twice on the table - once at level 5, once at level 10. You gain the benefit at 5, and it improves at 10.

Macabaret
2015-05-22, 03:53 PM
Inhuman Reactions is listed twice on the table - once at level 5, once at level 10. You gain the benefit at 5, and it improves at 10.

Oh, hey, would you look at that? It's right there!

Sorry about that. I've actually been trying out this new thing recently where I keep my eyes open while I read. It seems to help a lot. But there are times when I slip back into my old habits. :redface:

Heliomance
2015-05-27, 12:44 PM
I swapped out the Haste requirement (didn't actually have much fluff reason for being there, and restricted it to Bards more than I wanted) for the Versatile Performer feat. Now it's easier to get into for non-Bards, and Bards don't quite auto-qualify by default.