PDA

View Full Version : Destructive Wave

Sjappo
2015-03-09, 08:27 AM
I was working on a excel spell list to make into decent spellcards and I found a spell that seems to be on no-ones spell list. Destructive Wave. I found that is is a Domain spell for the Tempest Domain but otherwise, nothing. Does anyone know if this is an oversight? Should it be on the Cleric list? It is a weird exception this way.

EvanescentHero
2015-03-09, 08:29 AM
It's meant to be Destructive Smite, a paladin spell.

Chronos
2015-03-09, 09:36 AM
Yeah, notice that a spell called "Destructive Smite" is never actually described, even though it's listed for paladins. They're the same spell; it's just an editing error.

Which actually surprises me a bit: I'd have thought that a list like that would have been created from a database in the first place, such that changing the database entry would change it everywhere. This would also fix things like the alphabetical order occasionally being a bit off. This is the 21st century-- "writing" doesn't necessarily have to still involve a sharpened feather and a bottle of ink.

Oh, and while we're at it, you'll also eventually find that wizards are listed as having a spell called "Trap the Soul", which also doesn't exist. It got rolled into Imprisonment.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-09, 10:35 AM
Yeah, notice that a spell called "Destructive Smite" is never actually described, even though it's listed for paladins. They're the same spell; it's just an editing error.

Which actually surprises me a bit: I'd have thought that a list like that would have been created from a database in the first place, such that changing the database entry would change it everywhere. This would also fix things like the alphabetical order occasionally being a bit off. This is the 21st century-- "writing" doesn't necessarily have to still involve a sharpened feather and a bottle of ink.

Oh, and while we're at it, you'll also eventually find that wizards are listed as having a spell called "Trap the Soul", which also doesn't exist. It got rolled into Imprisonment.

It is this type of stuff that keeps me from taking wotc seriously. They have the means and the resources to get crap like this out of the game and yet did not.

I can excuse accidents but this right here is pure laziness.

I wouldn't let one of my reports go to the state or a client with an error like this, and yes my reports can be longer than the phb.

Sjappo
2015-03-09, 11:48 AM
It's meant to be Destructive Smite, a paladin spell.
Thanx, never noticed that.

jazzymantis
2015-03-09, 05:08 PM
Also, the spell Prismatic wall says that it can be destroyed with a rod of cancelation but not n antimagic field.

I have searched all spells and magic items for that and have not been able to find it yet.

eastmabl
2015-03-09, 07:19 PM
It is this type of stuff that keeps me from taking wotc seriously. They have the means and the resources to get crap like this out of the game and yet did not.

I can excuse accidents but this right here is pure laziness.

I wouldn't let one of my reports go to the state or a client with an error like this, and yes my reports can be longer than the phb.

I am a person who owns a first edition copy of the Complete Divine, so maybe I just have a really low bar.

How many mistakes did they have in the whole 5e PHB? From what I can tell, there's a spell that has the wrong name, a spell that's listed in the spell list but not in the book, and an errant bullet in the Grappler feat.

Three mistakes. 320 pages. 7 words plus a bullet point.

I'm pretty okay with it.

Chaosvii7
2015-03-09, 07:42 PM
I don't think that's right if it's already a cleric spell but supposed to be a Paladin Spell with a different name. Sounds like they just outright forgot a single spell. Destructive Wave isn't a typo.

Chronos
2015-03-09, 09:28 PM
It's not a cleric spell. It's a tempest domain spell. No standard class list contains "Destructive Wave". Meanwhile, paladins have a listing for a spell with a very similar name at the same level, and the fluff of the spell makes it sound divine.

Oh, and if that's not enough, the devs have also confirmed that they were meant to be the same, if that matters.

Sjappo
2015-03-10, 10:17 AM
I've decided to rename the spell Destructive Smite for my purposes and be done with it. We hardly ever play levels where 5th level spells come online. Never mind 5th level Paladin spells.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Tenmujiin
2015-03-11, 06:54 AM
I've decided to rename the spell Destructive Smite for my purposes and be done with it. We hardly ever play levels where 5th level spells come online. Never mind 5th level Paladin spells.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Its not a smite spell so fixing the paladin spell list would probably be better.

Sjappo
2015-03-12, 08:08 AM
Its not a smite spell so fixing the paladin spell list would probably be better.
Good call. Thanx.

cobaltstarfire
2015-03-12, 08:18 AM
I am a person who owns a first edition copy of the Complete Divine, so maybe I just have a really low bar.

How many mistakes did they have in the whole 5e PHB? From what I can tell, there's a spell that has the wrong name, a spell that's listed in the spell list but not in the book, and an errant bullet in the Grappler feat.

I'm pretty okay with it.

Well there's also at least one grammar error in there somewhere. I can't remember where though just that I found it while copying something down on a character sheet.

Those mistakes are a little hard to forgive though on top of the first run of books suffering from pages falling out, buckling pages, smudgy and faded ink. I don't know if newer runs have fixed any of these issues, but I know they're capable of better.

I do have to make sure and write these missing/mistaken spells though and bring them to my DM. One of the characters I have in the stable is a paladin.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-13, 02:17 AM

I'm pretty okay with it.

If that goes to the client or the state then you are likely to get fired at my company.

That is embarrassing and can lead to contract issues, problems with government review, and a whole list of other problems.

I'm just one guy working on a report, they have a whole team and probably more time to get their stuff done.

Sloppy is as sloppy does.

Now if it was something like a beta, forum post, or whatever then I don't care about how sloppy it is (just review my stuff on giaintitp lol) but an official product that represents your company? Disgraceful for a team to let that much fall through the cracks.

Sure a TTRPG isn't as serious as what I report on. But if you are getting paid for a product and that means you shouldn't let stuff like this happen. You should take it as serious as anything else you would be paid to do.

Bad math in the game? Sure, it happens.
Unbalanced classes or races? Sure, it happens.

Basic spelling and bullet errors? Never, my god we have Microsoft word that can find these issues for you so you can change Smite to Wave or whatever else you want it to be.

Am I a bit biases? Maybe, but I know that if you don't hold them accountable for small crap like this then it will just lead to more and more issues.

calebrus
2015-03-13, 02:22 AM
If that goes to the client or the state then you are likely to get fired at my company.
<snip>

Basic spelling and bullet errors? Never, my god we have Microsoft word that can find these issues for you so you can change Smite to Wave or whatever else you want it to be.

Am I a bit biases? Maybe, but I know that if you don't hold them accountable for small crap like this then it will just lead to more and more issues.

Word isn't going to catch any of it, because there aren't any spelling or grammatical errors. Nice try.
Oh, and biases? I think you meant biased. See? Spellcheck doesn't catch it if it's actually a word. I guess this means you should be fired.

Battlebooze
2015-03-13, 02:26 AM
Also, the spell Prismatic wall says that it can be destroyed with a rod of cancelation but not n antimagic field.

I have searched all spells and magic items for that and have not been able to find it yet.

Someone accidentally dropped the only Rod of Cancellation in existence on itself. Sorry.

Daishain
2015-03-13, 10:45 AM
Basic spelling and bullet errors? Never, my god we have Microsoft word that can find these issues for you

Microsoft word and other spelling/grammar checkers save time when it comes to proofreading yes. However, they are utterly worthless for the kind of situation in question.

One perfectly spelled noun exchanged for another perfectly spelled noun is not going to trip any such detectors. Which is why Microsoft Word should never be relied upon as a substitute for good editing.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-13, 11:02 AM
Microsoft word and other spelling/grammar checkers save time when it comes to proofreading yes. However, they are utterly worthless for the kind of situation in question.

One perfectly spelled noun exchanged for another perfectly spelled noun is not going to trip any such detectors. Which is why Microsoft Word should never be relied upon as a substitute for good editing.

Wrong.

"Hey mike, we changed destructive smite to destructive wave right? Did anyone check to make sure we changed every instance of it in the book? Well here let me check. *ctr F "destructive smite".

That is how easy it is to fix problems like this. Microsoft word helps tremendously in this since it will fight the word so you can replace it.

It isn't about spell check but about using a function that 8 year olds use to pull pranks on others.

Edited: there is even a functionthat let's you replace the word(s) with your new words without typing in said new words every time.

This is basic use of MS Word.

MadBear
2015-03-13, 11:51 AM
Wrong.

actually, you're wrong. If you had bothered to intuit the meaning of what they said, it was abundantly clear that they were referring to spell check, not other functions of Word.

Person_Man
2015-03-13, 02:57 PM
If you're looking for a good index of spells (without spell descriptions or recommendations) there's an excellent thread on it here (http://community.wizards.com/comment/51250626). Fellow Playgrounder JackRos also put together a solid Excel spreadsheet of spells here (http://community.wizards.com/sites/mtgcommunity/files/Spells%20Database%205th_v1.xlsx).

Daishain
2015-03-13, 03:04 PM
snip
All such items still require that the individuals personally double check. They aren't a replacement for human memory, simply something to make it slightly less tedious.