PDA

View Full Version : Quick Vestige Question- Dahlver-Nar

Kingsnake
2015-03-09, 08:55 AM
When you use Dahlver-Nar's Shield Self ability, does the source of the damage change? I ask for DR and SR (and the like) calculation. The text says "...you only take half damage from all effects that deal hit point damage, and it [the target] takes the rest", which makes me suspect it doesn't, but I figured I'd check with the folks here for a definitive answer.

Surpriser
2015-03-09, 10:38 AM
From the way it is written, it suggests that your DR / SR / Energy resistance apply first, then the remaining damage is split between you both ("share the damage you take").

Neither the Shield Self ability of Dahlver Nar nor the similar Shield Other spell mention whether any additional resistances apply to the transferred damage, however I would rule that they do not. After all, things like energy resistance would have twice the intended effect in such a case.

EDIT: Concerning SR, I am pretty sure that this would apply only for the original use of the ability (just like for other ongoing spells and abilities). So, your target gets SR only against the Shield Self , but not against any damage it takes from that source afterwards.

Kingsnake
2015-03-09, 01:27 PM
I was thinking more of the target's resistances. Say I get hit by a nonmagical sword for 12 points and the target has DR5/+1. If the source of the target's damage is the sword, their DR would apply, since it's a nonmagical attack. But would it if the source were the SU ability?

atemu1234
2015-03-10, 07:35 AM
I was thinking more of the target's resistances. Say I get hit by a nonmagical sword for 12 points and the target has DR5/+1. If the source of the target's damage is the sword, their DR would apply, since it's a nonmagical attack. But would it if the source were the SU ability?

Nitpick: DR 5/Magic, as of 3.5.

Unless I'm mistaken, it would be the other way around. You'd split the damage, then apply damage reduction.

Psyren
2015-03-10, 10:06 AM
From the way it is written, it suggests that your DR / SR / Energy resistance apply first, then the remaining damage is split between you both ("share the damage you take").

This is how I read it - it says you share the damage you take, therefore you reduce it first (with whatever defenses you have) and then share the rest. And since it lacks the "empathic damage" clause that abilities like the Share Pain psionic power have, the person you're sharing it with gets to reduce it with their defenses too.

Surpriser
2015-03-10, 06:57 PM
I don't think that there is an official ruling on this and the text of the ability is not really unambiguous.
Intuitively, the source of the transferred damage is the Shield Self ability, so if you have any resistance against untyped damage from a supernatural source, it would apply to this, but nothing else (like the mentioned DR 5/magic).

For example, a troll with active Stoneskin (DR 10/adamantine) and Spell Resistance X gets targeted with Shield Self by a binder with DR 2/-. SR applies against the ability and is overcome by the binder. The troll then fails its save, so Shield Self is successful.
Later, the troll hits the binder for 10 damage. This is first reduced to 8 due to the binder's DR. Of these, the binder takes 4 and the rest is transferred to the troll, who may not apply it's DR or SR (the latter because it already failed against the original use of the ability). However, the regeneration ability kicks in and the damage becomes nonlethal for the troll (as it is neither fire nor acid). This would happen even if the binder was hit by a fireball instead.

Psyren
2015-03-16, 09:41 AM
I don't think that there is an official ruling on this and the text of the ability is not really unambiguous.
Intuitively, the source of the transferred damage is the Shield Self ability, so if you have any resistance against untyped damage from a supernatural source, it would apply to this, but nothing else (like the mentioned DR 5/magic).

For example, a troll with active Stoneskin (DR 10/adamantine) and Spell Resistance X gets targeted with Shield Self by a binder with DR 2/-. SR applies against the ability and is overcome by the binder. The troll then fails its save, so Shield Self is successful.
Later, the troll hits the binder for 10 damage. This is first reduced to 8 due to the binder's DR. Of these, the binder takes 4 and the rest is transferred to the troll, who may not apply it's DR or SR (the latter because it already failed against the original use of the ability). However, the regeneration ability kicks in and the damage becomes nonlethal for the troll (as it is neither fire nor acid). This would happen even if the binder was hit by a fireball instead.

Actually, Binder abilities are always supernatural (even the ones based on spells or psionic powers.) This means that the troll's SR, if any, would not apply to this power.

Surpriser
2015-03-16, 02:14 PM
You are right, of course. I was thinking of similar Shield Other spell.
Apart from that, the example should still be valid. (And even damage originally taken via spells subject to SR would not allow a SR check when shared)