PDA

View Full Version : Belkar v. Frodo

Teh_Jakester
2007-04-09, 05:21 PM
...http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0042.html

Now then.

Belkar would outright KILL Frodo in two seconds.

NullAshton
2007-04-09, 05:22 PM
But Frodo HAS THE ONE RING! He'd put it on, become invisible, then own Belkar.

Hinton
2007-04-09, 05:23 PM
In any "versus" regarding Belkar and anyone, Belkar wins. Period.

Teh_Jakester
2007-04-09, 05:23 PM
Uh, did you not watch the end?
FRODO THROWS THE RING INTO MT. DOOM!
And besides, Frodo wouldn't have a chance to put it on, because Belkar would cut his hands off...
EDIT: @^^

Woot Spitum
2007-04-09, 05:26 PM
In any "versus" regarding Belkar and anyone, Belkar wins. Period.

No, in any "versus" period, thog wins.:smallbiggrin:

Warpfire
2007-04-09, 05:28 PM
Belkar: Has the power of knives and the knowledge of how to use them. Also, badasserey.

Frodo: Has the power of being whiny and emo, as well as his forbidden love for Sam("I wish I could quit you, Sam."). Got beaten in a fight by a mangy, half-starved, hobbit (Gollum).

Really, no contest.

Fighteer
2007-04-09, 05:28 PM
Oy. Frodo is not a fighter. Just like Samwise, he's a commoner who set out on a quest, and at the very best picked up a few warrior levels along the way. In a pure combat contest, Belkar would slaughter him.

In any contest where Belkar is required to think more than 6 seconds into the future, he loses to anyone with a brain larger than Thog's.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-09, 05:34 PM
belkar....like every other thread its Belkar v. anyone without fomal fighting training...can we stop these LoTR v. OoTS please

Threeshades
2007-04-09, 05:42 PM

Agreed.

his d12+567 damage are unbeatable, even if he isnt tking part in the battle.

Tolkien_Freak
2007-04-09, 05:46 PM
belkar....like every other thread its Belkar v. anyone without fomal fighting training...can we stop these LoTR v. OoTS please

Yes yes yes yes and yes. There is no point to this, and, as someone said in another similar thread, it's like comparing an apple to an orange, without comparing apples in general to oranges in general. You can't compare OOTS and LOTR, so stop trying. Please.

the_tick_rules
2007-04-09, 09:55 PM
well it's easy. Belkar's a capable fighter, frodo not so much.

Parasocrates
2007-04-09, 10:00 PM

UNLESS Thog is up against a pretty girl (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0066.html).

Gaelbert
2007-04-09, 10:37 PM
Definitely Belkar. Frodo hasn't any real major accomplishments of death and destruction that he caused for fun.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-09, 10:44 PM
UNLESS Thog is up against a teletubby.

Professor Tanhauser
2007-04-09, 10:44 PM
Belkar could probably knock frodo over with a good, loud belch.

(Ok, now we need a cartoon of belkar putting down a major flagon of ale, walking over to frodo, opening wide, letting out an enourmous "BELCH!" that just absolutely knocks frodo into another county, not to mention breakinging windows, shattering pottery, upending furniture, maybe putting holes in the wall, etc.)

Demented
2007-04-11, 05:03 PM
Considering Belkar can sunder rapiers by speaking loudly, yer probably right Tanhauser.

Runolfr
2007-04-12, 10:45 AM
Uh, did you not watch the end?
FRODO THROWS THE RING INTO MT. DOOM!
Uhm... no. That's not what happened. The actual even was more like...
Frodo decides to keep the Ring instead of throwing it into Mt. Doom, but Gollum shows up and kicks his ass, takes the ring, and then accidentally falls into Mt. Doom with it.

Zynex
2007-04-12, 11:01 AM
depends actually. (kinda surprisin eh?:smallamused: )

since both are considered "protagonists", or in layman's terms heroes, both have strong points.

if its a measure of virtue, Belkar's got nothing on Frodo. :smallsigh:

if its a measure of bad-a**'ery however, no halfling is more bad-a** than Belkar, nuff said. :smallbiggrin:

Hushdawg
2007-04-12, 11:40 AM
Belkar, hands down.

He'd kick Frodo's ass; pay for healing and kick it again.
Lather.
Rinse.
Repeat.

Teh_Jakester
2007-04-12, 01:40 PM
Uhm... no. That's not what happened. The actual even was more like...
Frodo decides to keep the Ring instead of throwing it into Mt. Doom, but Gollum shows up and kicks his ass, takes the ring, and then accidentally falls into Mt. Doom with it.

I was putting it in simple terms, so I didn't have to type as much...
As long as we're getting technical... IN THE MOVIE:
Gollum steals the ring, and Frodo pushes him off.

kpenguin
2007-04-12, 01:45 PM
Frodo has the power of plot. Unlike his friends, he doesn't have any badass fighting skills and yet he survives. Belkar might defeat him, but not kill him, and Belkar would later die from defeating Frodo. Besides, if hobbits and halflings appear in the same universe, there would be a rip in the space time continium.

Zenthar
2007-04-12, 02:28 PM
Frodo can hardly stand against an goblin..

Spiky
2007-04-13, 01:25 AM
I was putting it in simple terms, so I didn't have to type as much...
As long as we're getting technical... IN THE MOVIE:
Gollum steals the ring, and Frodo pushes him off.
Actually, he bites off a finger to get the ring. And then falls off in his own delirium, no help required. Movie actually followed book precisely.

Why was all this in spoilers? Expecting someone in this thread to have NOT seen/read LOTR?

Fighteer
2007-04-13, 08:41 AM
Actually, he bites off a finger to get the ring. And then falls off in his own delirium, no help required. Movie actually followed book precisely.

Why was all this in spoilers? Expecting someone in this thread to have NOT seen/read LOTR?
Not entirely. In the movie, Frodo got up and fought Gollum for possession of the Ring, and both fell over the edge, thus giving Sam the opportunity to dramatically rescue him and convince him not to "let go" and follow the Ring to its doom. In the book, as you said, Gollum fell without any help from anyone.

The movie version does have a certain drama to it, but I would've preferred to see the book version done literally.

Demented
2007-04-13, 03:38 PM
Not entirely. In the movie, Frodo got up and fought Gollum for possession of the Ring, and both fell over the edge, thus giving Sam the opportunity to dramatically rescue him and convince him not to "let go" and follow the Ring to its doom. In the book, as you said, Gollum fell without any help from anyone.

The movie version does have a certain drama to it, but I would've preferred to see the book version done literally.

Sure that's not one of the alternate endings?
Or maybe the book version was the alternate ending...

de-trick
2007-04-13, 07:40 PM
i think Belkar would kick frodo's ass but frodo would be used to it by what sam and him did in there hobbit hole

Fighteer
2007-04-14, 01:06 PM
Sure that's not one of the alternate endings?
Or maybe the book version was the alternate ending...
Well, I saw the movie in the theaters, and got both the theatrical and extended editions on DVD, and all three had the ending I talked about, where Frodo fought with Gollum, and both fell. There may have been an alternate ending filmed, but I don't specifically recall watching it; I may have to go look at the DVDs again.

You have to be careful, though, to specify what you're talking about. The "original" movie ending is not the same as the "original" book ending.

Tolkien_Freak
2007-04-14, 01:09 PM
Well, I saw the movie in the theaters, and got both the theatrical and extended editions on DVD, and all three had the ending I talked about, where Frodo fought with Gollum, and both fell. There may have been an alternate ending filmed, but I don't specifically recall watching it; I may have to go look at the DVDs again.

You have to be careful, though, to specify what you're talking about. The "original" movie ending is not the same as the "original" book ending.

I don't remember any 'alternate' ending, and I have the same stuff. It may just be an 'extended' ending.

And can we PLEASE just let the topic die?

Spiky
2007-04-15, 09:55 AM
Sorry, at least one more. I have to do a mea culpa for the above. I forgot that Frodo jumped on him again in the movies. I was remembering the picture of him falling and transmuting that image to more of the scene. My bad.