PDA

View Full Version : stealing a sleeping gods power. cleric or Warnock?

CyberThread
2015-03-09, 01:22 PM
Ignoring class fluff. Which class do you think represented such a concept better?

Elricaltovilla
2015-03-09, 01:27 PM
Tough call... What's a Warnock?

Mr.Moron
2015-03-09, 01:36 PM
I'm not sure either mechanics set speaks to "Stealing" better, it's really all in the fluff. If you scraped the dressing off everything and simply had names like SPELL_RESTORE_HP or CANTRIP_DAMAGE_ON_ATTACK_ROLL for everything and then had someone assign the fluff to it, I don't think either would stand out.

broodax
2015-03-09, 01:58 PM
Yeah, this question is almost entirely fluff based, so it is hard to divorce it from the existing fluff. However, if you say "what set of mechanics better fits the fluff 'stealing a sleeping god's power'?" something still makes me say Warlock.

Warlocks choose a limited set of things that they can do. Clerics get everything from a list at will.

... and I think that's the only actual mechanical thing that makes me think "stealing from someone". Everything else is just dice and status effects.

SharkForce
2015-03-09, 03:43 PM
i would say that, to me at least, the warlock spell list fits better with what i would expect of someone who is stealing power. the cleric is very supportive and excels at buffing and healing, with a bit of CC and damage here and there.

in contrast, the warlock list is about debuffing and hurting enemies.

Myzz
2015-03-09, 03:46 PM
Depends on what you have to accomplish to steal a God's power whether awake or asleep...

Does that require convincing all the followers to now use name X instead?

If that's the case anyone with a high Cha would be best... typically meaning a Warlock or Bard or Sorcerer... a high level Cleric or Paladin with high charisma could possibly also work (especially if they were high ranking within the deities church)...

asorel
2015-03-09, 09:23 PM
Stealing power has always seemed much more "warlock" than "cleric" to me. As others have said, their limited spellcasting ability and choices reflects this, especially as the power of warlocks is given, not loaned. A cleric acts as a channel for divine power. A warlock's power isn't his or her own, but they can for the most part use it regardless of their patron's wishes (I think. If I'm wrong on this, feel free to correct me). Additionally, I believe the GOO pact specifically mentions using the power of a slumbering being as their arcane fuel.