PDA

View Full Version : Magic Items!

Pyon
2015-03-09, 06:28 PM
Where in the rulebook can I find magic items/weapons? Their powers, how to acquire them, prices, etc? I would like to research this stuff a bit. But I skimmed the book and I can't find anything so. Yeah! Answer questionarino please.

pwykersotz
2015-03-09, 06:32 PM
DMG, chapter 7, page 135.

There's also some in the DM Basic Rules pdf (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules).

jazzymantis
2015-03-09, 06:59 PM
If you are asking as a player, it is important to note that magic items are not expected to be very common in most 5e games. They are strictly up to the DM's discretion on whether to add any particular item or not.

It would be improper to come up with a shopping list for such things unless your DM has already told you that all of the magic items exist. Many of the items greatly break the balance that 5e presents, so there may be many reasons not immediate evident as to why any particular magic item isn't included.

Also, some magic items that your might want/ask your DM for can interrupt the story or limit the options the DM has available.

For example I know that for the early parts of the game I am going limit the amount of magic weapons to make the difficulty of approaching enemies with resistance to mundane weapons greater.

ProphetSword
2015-03-09, 07:09 PM
They're definitely in the DMG; because magic items are optional. They aren't required in 5th edition, and it is possible to play an entire campaign without seeing one. As much as it's a hard concept for people to grasp, the days of players cherry-picking items and heading down to the local "Magic-Items-R-Us" are over. Or, they should be, anyway.

Xetheral
2015-03-10, 02:20 AM
As much as it's a hard concept for people to grasp, the days of players cherry-picking items and heading down to the local "Magic-Items-R-Us" are over. Or, they should be, anyway.

I disagree. High magic campaigns with practically (if not readily) available magic items are just as valid a playstyle, and one that 5e supposedly supports. (Whether or not it effectively does so is another matter.)

rollingForInit
2015-03-10, 04:13 AM
They're definitely in the DMG; because magic items are optional. They aren't required in 5th edition, and it is possible to play an entire campaign without seeing one. As much as it's a hard concept for people to grasp, the days of players cherry-picking items and heading down to the local "Magic-Items-R-Us" are over. Or, they should be, anyway.

They're optional, but it's important to note that they're still recommended in moderation. Even low-magic campaigns have some amount of recommended magical items. Also consider that classes that depend on special class features instead of equipment for weapons (monks, moon druids, blade warlocks) get magical weapons automatically from their classes. At higher level a lot (most?) monsters have resistance to non-magical weapons, so not having anything, even simple magical weapons for overcoming resistances, would hurt classes like Fighters, in comparison to those that have some magic. Whether you give out magical weapons or not, it's important to be aware of that, and not just go "oh magical weapons are 100% optional and not at all necessary so I won't use them" without considering the consequences.

Pyon
2015-03-10, 06:21 AM
Alright, cheers for the answers guys!

NotALurker
2015-03-11, 12:41 AM
I disagree. High magic campaigns with practically (if not readily) available magic items are just as valid a playstyle, and one that 5e supposedly supports. (Whether or not it effectively does so is another matter.)

also noteworthy is the existance of creatures that need magic weapons to be hurt. so if you fight them and your DM has not given you any magic items you might as well not be there.

TheOOB
2015-03-11, 01:08 AM
also noteworthy is the existance of creatures that need magic weapons to be hurt. so if you fight them and your DM has not given you any magic items you might as well not be there.

True immunity to non-magical weapons is rare, but plenty of creatures have resistance to nonmagical weapons.

+1 weapons are only uncommon, and most casters can enchant a weapon.