PDA

View Full Version : The Dragon's Demand

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Blisstake
2015-03-09, 07:53 PM
"Ah, f-forgive me. I am just surprised that I've been corresponding with a dragon all this time." The wizard gulped, hoping he didn't come off as too insulting.

"It is of no consequence. You still possess the tomes that I require, and I will have them. Name your price, human." The creature's voice was surprisingly light for a dragon, but still possessed all the authority and arrogance known of their kind.

"W-well, you see, I was thinking more of a trade in services. There is this awful eyesore blocking my-"

The dragon waved a claw impatiently, stopping the stuttering wizard mid-sentence. "I care not for your reasons. Like you, they are insignificant. If you need a building demolished, then I can have that arranged; do not bore me with the details."

Chapter 1: Welcome to Belhaim

Velgani

You arrive in Belhaim late in the day, as the sun makes its descent below the Verduran Forest. The town hardly seems like the legacy of a famous dragon slayer, but looks can be deceiving. Belhaim doesn't appear on too many maps, and it seems to be lacking in quite a few services offered in the more luxurious Taldan cities like Cassomir or Oppara. You manage to locate a single inn on the edge of the town bearing the name The Wise Piper.

For some reason, a handful of guards are standing outside the inn, trying to look as official as possible, though you can tell they are hardly seasoned warriors. It seems odd that they would all be congregated like this, but then you hear the approach of a loaded caravan...

Jonnie, Cai, Kathryn, and Lyrander

Trudging through the Verduran Forest has turned out to be boring more than anything. The worst you've had to face on the journey were a couple of emaciated wolves that didn't know any better. Silas Gribb is a pleasant enough man, but he mostly keeps to himself, and answers questions about the good and the route on a need to know basis, and it so happens to turn out that you don't need to know.

The last few rays of sunlight are fading away as you reach the sleepy town of Belhaim. Silas speaks up for the first time today, "I've got a few goods to unload here, and then we'll resupply up for the trip to Whispil. There should be an inn around... ah, crap."

The caravan leader looks distraught as 3 guards approach him. The one on the left seems giddy with excitement, shaking in her chainmail, while the guard on the right stifles a yawn. The large, balding one in the middle appears to have at least a modicum of professionalism, and addresses Silas in an authoritative tone. "Mr Gribb, I presume? I'm sheriff Benhovy. I'm going to need to take a look at your caravan there."

"I would, uh, rather you didn't," is Silas' somewhat lame response.

The sheriff ignores Silas' request, and he and the guards rifle through the caravan's covered belongings. It isn't long until they uncover dozens of canteens filled with a sticky brown liquid.

Cai
You recognize this as pesh, a highly addictive drug extracted from cacti in Katapesh

It isn't long until Silas is bound in manacles, and hauled off to the town's prison. A few more guards circle the scene, eyeing you suspiciously. When the sheriff returns, he narrows his eyes, . "You lot. What's your business here? You had better not be involved in this mess, or you'll be joining your friend Mr. Gribb for the night."

Smileybastard
2015-03-09, 08:22 PM
Lyrander

Lyrander shakes his head. "I am Lyrander Koress and I have never seen whatever that is before."

Starbin
2015-03-09, 09:46 PM
Velgani

With a stretch and a smile, the dusky-skinned Varisian sauntered into town. Clean shaven with long, dark hair pulled back into a ponytail, he looked every part the wandering nomad - loose, brightly colored clothes, today with a red vest over a white shirt with a matching headband. Looking around for a moment, he murmured to himself, "So this is the home of the famous Tula Belheim, eh? Doesn't seem like much. Guess that's what comes from letting your bat-crazy relatives ruin your legacy ..."

He wandered onward, bowing and greeting each passing local with a smile and a wave. Finally, he approached one blushing lass. "Greetings, fair maiden, but might you be inclined to point me in the direction of your fine inn? I am parched, famished, and needing to remove the dirt from the road." With a blush and a giggle, she pointed him in the direction of The Wise Piper, to which he graced her with a kiss on the hand and a low bow.

As he approached the inn, he saw the guards and elected to watch for a moment - they appeared to be waiting for something, and the last thing he needed was to be rolled up in some local sting operation. He had his answer a few minutes later when a caravan approached. In swift order, the guards had searched the caravan, seized the lead merchant, and started questioning the help. Leaning against a nearby wall, Velgani Visconti, would-be legend, waited, watched and listened ... thoroughly enjoying the show.

moondoggy
2015-03-09, 10:55 PM
The halfling seemed shocked at this sudden turn of events, goggle-eyed as his employer was clapped in irons and taken away. When the guard turned to him for questioning it was all he could do to stammer out a response.

"I d-don't rightly know what that stuff even is, let alone what Mister Gribb was intendin' on doin' with it. Me and Hickory were just lookin' ta make some extra coin ta round out the ol' coffer, sir."

Xunthrae
2015-03-09, 11:21 PM
Cai enjoyed her time on the road with her sister. It was nice to be out on the open road, seeing new things outside of that den of murderers called Daggermark. By now the others would have noticed her starry scaled serpent that moves about her person. Ishaal, the other's have no doubt heard her call him, looks to be an exotic species of snake with scales that reflect the stars above, wherever they are.

Cai keeps the fact that she knows of the drug to herself for now, she will tell her sister later what the caravan was busted for. The long-haired twin keeps her demeanor professional. "My sister and I are most definitely not apart of whatever scheme that man cooked up." Ishaal is draped over her shoulders, his head just under her right jaw. The serpent gazes at the sherrif intently, flicking his tongue as his mistress speaks.

Toxic Mind
2015-03-10, 09:44 AM
For Kathryne, the road was long and boring. Not necessarily a bad thing, as Kathryne has heard tales of caravans waylaid by far worse things than bandits. Not that she thought that would be trouble, but as far as Gribb was concerned, she was a guard with a shining to daggers, rather than an assassin. She preferred that secret remain as such.

As the caravan rolls into town, she eyes the guards with suspicion, particularly the excited one. Trouble she thinks to herself, and nudges Cai, tilting her head towards them. But escape is out of the question, they've been spotted, and likely followed for some time.

Kathryne nods along with her sister, and places a look of concern on her face. "I assure you sirs, we would never have joined that beast had we known thee was anything untoward involved! He never told us what was in the caravan, and we foolishly believed him." She says to the sheriff, an angry look on her face. Hopefully the sherrif would mistake it for anger at being fooled. The truth was, she was angry more that Silas had put them in danger with the law.

Blisstake
2015-03-10, 11:23 AM
The sheriff gives each of you a long, hard look, trying to look as intimidating as possible, as if that will get him a spontaneous confession. When everyone professes their innocence, the middle-aged man shrugs. "All right, fine, but don't get into any trouble while you're here."

The sheriff and the guards disperse, and you're left by yourselves next to the inn. It doesn't look like you're going to get paid for your caravan work any time soon.

Starbin
2015-03-10, 11:49 AM
Velgani

The Varisian had to cover his mouth to hide the smile and chuckle welling within his throat. These guards had learned well from the textbooks, right down to the "If you stare long enough, a guilty man will confess" lesson. Shaking his head in amusement, he watched as the guards dispersed and left four confused newcomers standing there. Sauntering over, he smiled and waved. "Hail and well met, mighty travelers! I am Velgani Visconti, 'venturist and vocalizer of a vociferous volition ... and a bit of an alliterative opportunist and entrepreneurial analogist ... if that even makes sense.

It seems to me friends, that your choice in employers is second only to your luck in location! While being unemployed can be disappointing, I think you'll see that it can be equally liberating. Besides, with the guards departed with yonder merchant, and a caravan without so much as a guard or owner, you might actually have an opportunity to recoup any perceived losses.

If I might offer my services in obtaining said compensation ...?"

With a wink, he waited patiently, wondering if the group would take him up on his offer ...

Let's make this easy and start the forming, norming and storming!

Toxic Mind
2015-03-10, 12:05 PM
A single eyebrow raises at the long winded introduction. Kathryne looks at her sister, then back at the man. "No." she says simply. Stealing from the caravan would only draw more attention when the guards returned, and this ignorant fool had nothing to offer her. "Cai, let's go."

Don't completely take this as a rejection, Kat just has no desire to hang around, and a low opinion of words over actions. Caiella might convince her, or someone else. But probably not the stranger she just met. :smallsmile:

Starbin
2015-03-10, 12:52 PM
Velgani

He raised an eyebrow to the simple answer, a friendly smile still visible. "Ah, you are as verbose as you are polite, and probably ten times the dancer! Fear not, she of little words, I know I speak enough for the both of us ... perhaps more!""

Bowing to the lady, he paused and looked to the others as she turned and motioned for her friend to go. "Ah, I see you speak both for yourself and Cai. Do you speak for these fine gentlemen as well, or do they speak for themselves?"

Hey, you play it like you need to. I hope V hasn't given you too much of a reason to think him a fool, but I can see why she might think that. And remember, he never said steal :smallbiggrin:

moondoggy
2015-03-10, 01:42 PM
Surprised at first by the human's sudden approach, Jonnie chuckled to himself when the broody twin so tersely shut him down. "You sure do use a lot o' breath ta say somethin' simple, don'cha?" he said with a bemused smile. He took his hat off and scratched his head, kicked some dust off his leather boots against the wagon wheel and did some quiet thinking for a moment before continuing. "Now, miss Kathryn, I don't claim ta know what yer own motives are, but this mister Velgani here has a good, if gussied up, point. The caravan ain't goin' nowheres and if folks round here have a need fer supplies well maybe we can make back some o' tha coin we were promised. At tha very least it beats stayin' stranded and broke, don'cha think?" Brushing off the sleeves of his old duster, he takes off his leather gloves and stows them in a pocket, holding out a worn and calloused hand to the human.

"Folks call me Jonnie. If'n you can talk to tha guards about dispensin' some o' these goods here, I'd be more than happy ta help ya take 'em around ta folks in need."

Toxic Mind
2015-03-10, 01:58 PM
Kathryne inwardly sighs, though her outward expression remains unchanged. She could see the tide shifting. Cai would go along, she knew, if only for the money, and it would gain her very little to continue the argument. "As long as we make sure the sherrif is okay with it, I suppose I'll help." she says, albeit rather tersely. "But this isn't charity. I don't work for free." she says, her tone of voice indicating that the arrest of Silas Gribb was the only thing keeping her from extracting her fee from his hide.

As for Jonnie, well... The man wasn't her favorite, he had a sort of 'unwashed' look about him, even when freshly bathed, like he had spent too much time in the dirt and dust, and it never quite came out anymore. Still, he didn't ask too many questions and at least respected her general desire not to talk to people. They had shared a few stories around the fire, mostly Cai talking and prompting her to chime in when it was her turn. Most of the stories, of course, were fake but that was hardly common knowledge.

Blisstake
2015-03-10, 02:21 PM
Vengari, Jonnie, and Kat take a look into the caravan once the guards have departed. After a small amount of time searching, a loose board is noticed, opening up a small compartment in the caravan. Inside you find two vials of murky green liquid, a fancy stiletto with the initials C.M. scratched onto the pommel, and a few gold coins.

35gp, a masterwork dagger, and what Cai recognizes as 2 doses of Shiver, a hallucinogen extracted from Dream Spiders. It's fairly valuable in regions where its use is prohibited (like Taldor).

Starbin
2015-03-10, 02:28 PM
Velgani

Velgani laughed at the halfling, dropping down onto his haunches a bit as he shook Jonnie's hand firmly. "Tis my curse, good sir. Perhaps it is because I like the sound of my own voice, or perhaps that I do not care for silence. Either way, you are correct - less words may indeed be appropriate. Let's search the wagon for loot that you can sell for your pay." With a big grin, he sauntered over to the caravan with the others, helping them to search it thoroughly. When the curt woman pulled forth the dagger and pouch, he smiled widely. At the appearance of the two vials, he quickly stepped back.

"Well, at least your former employer is consistent! I might suggest you turn that over to the authorities quickly, least you find yourselves sharing a cell.

Unless you already have a buyer in mind?"

No worries, Bliss - we'll adapt and overcome!

Toxic Mind
2015-03-10, 02:43 PM
Kathryne pokes around the hatch to see if there was anything else and, finding nothing, picks up the dagger, tossing it lightly into the air and catching it. "Finely balanced and made. This was made by one who knows their craft." She turns to her sister and the other two companions who served as guards with them. "The coins and vials are yours if you'll give me the dagger. Cai might be able to tell you what's in it, and what it's worth. What you do with that knowledge is your choice." Her tone makes it clear that giving the substance to the sheriff, as suggested, or selling it was equally valid to her. Kathryne waits to hear the other two, and if they agree places it in her left boot. She isn't married to the dagger, but one of such fine craftsmanship would go nicely in her current collection.

moondoggy
2015-03-10, 03:07 PM
Jonnie simply shrugs his shoulders with a smile, amused by the half-elf's interest in the blade. "Makes no lick o' differin' ta me, miss Kathryn. Tha dagger's yours far as I'm concerned. Long's I got my shotbow and the li'l knee-breaker I reckon I'm armed enough."

He then turns to Velgani, smile changing to a small frown. "Them bottles, on tha side hand, they don't look too keen. Whatever's in 'em, I'll pass on it. If'n they do turn a profit though, I reckon lumpin' that in with tha money and splittin' it even'd be fair. I'll leave business up ta ya'll seein' as yer just a bubblin' fountain o' helpfulness, mister. Meantimes, I'll grab m'self a li'l bite. Prolly should round up some meat for Hickory as well. S'been awhile since either of us actually ate somethin' with any weight to it. If'n y'all need me fer somethin', inn's where I'll be."

With that, the halfling gives a curt nod to all and heads toward The Wise Piper.

Xunthrae
2015-03-10, 04:19 PM
Cai chuckles as she overhears the beginning of Velgani's talk with Jonnie. Once he's finished she speaks. "If memory serves those vials hold another kind of drug, Shiver I think it's called. It's a heavily addictive hallucinogen that goes for quiet a bit. I think it may be best to turn it over to the authorities. It might reduce any suspicion they have of us and make being in this town that much less difficult. She is not one to dabble with drugs. She feels that they dull her senses too much and they are too easily laced with poisons. She can't remember how many batches she's brewed for someone wanting to get rid of a person who just took up a drug. They make people vulnerable and that is not something she wants.

Velgani is an interesting man. He seems so carefree. Much different than most of the men she's encountered before in her life. It's refreshing. He even made jokes at her stoic sister. She's curious about who he is.

Smileybastard
2015-03-10, 10:05 PM
Lyrander

Lyrander listens perplexed by the man's pointlessly confusing words.
"The dagger is worth more than all the coins and I have no idea what the vials are, but I expect they are a greater risk than benefit. If you will use the dagger I have no issue with you using it."

Blisstake
2015-03-11, 01:23 AM
Because the sheriff is likely interrogating Silas at the moment, there's a good chance you won't be able to speak with him until the morrow. The windows of The Wise Piper glow invitingly, and inside, a portly woman at the counter gives you a curious look.

"Welcome to The Wise Piper. You wouldn't happen to be with the caravan that was stopped here, would you? The woman sighs and smiles warmly, "Well, it's not really fair to leave you stranded here. Rooms are free for the night, okay dears?"

Xunthrae
2015-03-11, 04:08 AM
Cai smiles warmly back at the woman. "Thank you for your hospitality, I'm Cai." Even Ishaal dips his head in thanks to the woman. He's learned by now he can sometimes get treats if he's polite.

Smileybastard
2015-03-11, 05:10 AM
Lyrander

Lyrander offers a small smile. "Things are looking brighter already. Thank you very much!" Lyrander bows playfully.

Toxic Mind
2015-03-11, 04:58 PM
"Your kindness is appreciated." Kathryne says. She immediately goes to the darkest corner of the Wise Piper and sits in it. Not much for talking would be an understatement.

Blisstake
2015-03-11, 05:44 PM
"It's no trouble at all. My name is Talia; just ask if you need anything." The rooms at The Wise Piper are small, but comfortable. The night passes without incident.

You wake up to a dreary, overcast morning, with grey clouds threatening to rain at any time. Breakfast is a loaf of brown bread, lightly drizzled with honey. It's not the most satisfying meal, but enough to get the day started. It isn't long after you start eating when a massive thud rings outside, shaking the walls of the inn, causing your silverware to rattle.

Talia gasps in surprise. "Oh dear, what do you suppose that was?"

None of you are quite sure, but you won't find out staying in the inn.

Toxic Mind
2015-03-11, 05:59 PM
"Sounds like fun." Kathryne says, her voice deadpan. She pushes through the inn doors cautiously and looks around, trying to determine if anything was going to thud her.

[roll0]

moondoggy
2015-03-11, 06:14 PM
Jonnie hefts his crossbow and throws on his jacket. "You sure got a queer notion o' fun, miss Kathryn." he retorts, grinning despite himself.

Starbin
2015-03-11, 06:50 PM
Velgani

Velgani raised an eyebrow, not saying anything at the mistaken identity - but far be it for him to turn down a free room. After all, he did arrive with the caravan ... if not WITH it. Smiling, he follwed the others and enjoyed a solid meal, a drink or three, a hot bath, and a nice rest.

The next morning, he rose and headed downstairs to greet the others, who had already gone down. No sooner had he arrived when there was a loud thud and the group started to head outside. Raising an eyebrow, he followed, peering through whatever windows there might be ... and if none, he would go to the door to take a look. Who knew what wonders might be occuring, and what story might be beginning?

"Ah, good morning friends - it seems curious affairs follow you like an old dog follows small children. Let us see what adventures await, and perhaps I may lend my aid to you ..."

Looking about ... Take 10 on perception at this point? Total 15 :smallsmile:

Smileybastard
2015-03-11, 08:03 PM
Lyrander

Lyrander grabs his bow and nocks an arrow and looks out a different window. "Anything?"

Perception [roll0]

Xunthrae
2015-03-11, 10:11 PM
Cai had just taken a bite of her food when the thud rings out. It's clear across her face she's annoyed. She's a lady who likes her breakfast. She rises when she notices her sister leave the establishment. The long-haired twin's gaze glances over to Velgani. "Well, if its going to be a colorful day, having all the help we can get may come in handy. Besides, the more the merrier." She gives the man a playful wink before heading out next to her sister.

Ishaal, lounging on her shoulder, gazes at the others still inside in a quiet, judgmental kind of way, and with a flick of his tongue he shifts his body to face the direction Cai is walking.

Perception~~~~~~ [roll0]

Blisstake
2015-03-11, 11:34 PM
Outside of the inn, a wave of dust blasts in your face, limiting vision severely. When it finally subsides, you can easily see the source of the crashing sound: a stone tower in the distance collapsed to the ground, leaving a large pile of rubble and debris with a plume of dust still lingering above. You aren't sure how high the tower was before the crash, but only the first two floors remain, their interiors exposed from destroyed sections of the wall.

Velgani and Lyrander
Your knowledge of history lets you know that this was once the spot of what the locals refer to as "The Witch Tower." It was the only remaining section of Castle Belheim after it was almost completely destroyed by the Canteclures.

Two of the guards you saw earlier (the ones who accompanied the sheriff to arrest Silas) take a tentative look at the rubble, while a crowd of curious onlookers assembles. The sudden collapse is suspicious enough, but even more troubling are the bodies of two kobolds crushed under the debris.

The first guard speaks up with uncertainty in her words, "This is... bad. This is bad, right? Why are there kobolds in the Witch Tower?"

The second shakes his head. "Hell if I know. It's a shame Benhovy insisted on leaving for Cassomir last night. Told him to wait 'till the morning, I did."

Kathryn
You notice something odd about how the building collapsed. It seems to be slightly depressed, as if over a sinkhole. You suspect there might be more to this incident if you were to get under the tower somehow. The group might be able to manage this by climbing over the rubble to the exposed second floor, and seeing if there's a way down from there.

Smileybastard
2015-03-12, 05:08 AM
Lyrander

Lyrander heads to the door and exits. "Seems part of the old castle has collapsed."

Toxic Mind
2015-03-12, 09:20 AM
Kat and Cai

Kathryne pulls Cai and Ishaal into the alley next to The Wise Piper. "There is something more going on here" she whispers. "Look how the tower leans slightly, as if there were something hollow beneath it. It could be a collapsed dungeon or vault beneath the castle that no one found before now. Back my play." she finishes, and just as quickly, pulls them back to the group.

"You there. Talker." she says, pointing at Velgani. "I need you to distract the crowd. I don't want a lot of attention."

She turns to another of the company, and this time, though her tone remains unchanged, her expression carries a great deal less dislike. "Jonnie, I could use your help getting to the second floor. That rubble looks unstable, and a direct trip would be better than climbing over it."

For if I need to make the jump, either from off of Jonnie or off of Hickory.
[roll0]

Starbin
2015-03-12, 10:18 AM
Velgani simply smiled back at the gruff woman, knowing full well he had introduced himself the day before. "Well, grumpy, I would suggest you stop giving everyone the "I want to kill you" stare and you will probably attract much less attention. However, if you are concerned about searching the remains of the castle there, why not simply offer to 'check it out' with the guards? Then it will effectively be sanctioned exploration, and no one should bother you."

Sidling up to the guards, Velgani leaned forward conspiratorially whispered, "So, it seems that you have quite the situation, and it sounds like your current supervisor is absent. Hmmm, it seems to me to be a perfect opportunity for you two go-getters like yourselves to take charge and make a name for yourselves ... with little to no risk! You see, I have it on good authority that there are a number of newcomers who are able-bodied and could be quite willing to investigate this situation, thus leaving you to the care and guarding of the good people of Belheim. You could either direct them to look into this ... or, since we all know these adventurer types like to feel bold and empowered, I could act as your intermediary and suggest it to them.

However, regardless of what you decide, I might recommend you gather the lookie-loos there and move them away. You probably do not want to explain why some curious citizen was injured by wandering to closely to what is obviously a hazardous environment ... who knows what those dastardly dragon-kin unleashed from the old Castle Belheim.

So I guess I'll go over and mention your idea to these folks while you gather the crowds, yes?"

Smiling, Velgani raised an eyebrow in question, turning to return to the group.

Alrighty, let's go diplomacy? I'd like to use V's luck and take 10 on diplomacy (total 18), for what I hope are indifferent guards to provide simple aid. If it looks like they are unfriendly, I may have to roll. I'm using Diplomacy, cuz I'm not really lying about anything ... if I need a Bluff, let me know. :smallsmile:

Blisstake
2015-03-12, 11:06 AM
Sidling up to the guards, Velgani leaned forward conspiratorially whispered, [COLOR="#FF8C00"][I]"So, it seems that you have quite the situation, and it sounds like your current supervisor is absent. Hmmm, it seems to me to be a perfect opportunity for you two go-getters like yourselves to take charge and make a name for yourselves ... with little to no risk! You see, I have it on good authority that there are a number of newcomers who are able-bodied and could be quite willing to investigate this situation, thus leaving you to the care and guarding of the good people of Belheim. You could either direct them to look into this ... or, since we all know these adventurer types like to feel bold and empowered, I could act as your intermediary and suggest it to them.

"I don't know, we should probably go get the baroness to make sure-"

"Hang on, Varryl, I think he has a point! Even if we don't go in ourselves, won't Lady Devy be impressed if we get the crowd under control?""

"Letha, I'm not sure if-"

Ignoring her comrade's protest, Letha rounds up the guards in the crowd, and gets them to disperse the onlookers.

"Go away, go away, we have the situation under control here. Yes, that includes you Mr. Genser. You too, Bassy! And even you L-, oh, Baroness Devy! Um, I mean, how can I help you, Baroness?"

The Baroness is a svelte woman wearing a beautifully embroidered silk gown and generous amounts of makeup. Though aging, she carries herself well, keeping her short, white hair in a fashionable arrangement. "Letha, Varryl, what is going on here? Are those... kobolds?"

"Uh... well, I think so. You see... um..."

While this is all going on, Kathryn is able to climb up the rubble without any difficulty. Nothing of value remains on the second floor, but the half-elf does notice a sturdy trapdoor on the ground, covered by a fallen wooden beam.

The wooden beam is heavy, but anyone with at least 12 strength can move it without too much trouble. It might make some noise, though.

Starbin
2015-03-12, 12:59 PM
Velgani cleared his throat slightly, then stepped forward into a low bow to the lady. "I apologize, Baroness, and I should probably excuse myself from this discussion. Master Varryl and Mistress Letha were in the process of cordoning off the area to prevent any injuries, while my companions and I were going to investigate the source of the collapse of yonder tower. If you would prefer we wait to determine why kobolds were in the Witches Tower, we are humble servants and will comply. It seemed prudent to your loyal guards, however, that we look quickly before any evidence was lost, or disturbed by curious on-lookers.

So good day to you, dear Lady, and we shall report back post-haste."

Waving to the others, he pointed to the crumbled tower. "Let us carry on, friends, to the tower!"

Bowing low again, Velgani made to head towards the tower, having achieved his mission of removing the on-lookers. Now, hopefully he could get away without the Baroness getting upset at anyone ...

Another Take 10 on Diplomacy, please? 17 total this time (not using luck). If a bluff is required, then ... [roll0]

Toxic Mind
2015-03-12, 02:36 PM
Kathryne could hear him talking away even as she contemplated the trapdoor. It was like the songbird that used to perch outside her window when she first came to the Guild. Every day, nothing but incessant noise. She had hidden the bird's body inside of her rival's mattress. The smell alone had driven the girl to quitting. She wondered if there were any bard sized mattresses nearby for a moment before returning to the task at hand.

She could move the beam easily, but the shifting would likely make some noise. She thought she could cover it, and perhaps the Talker would cause enough of a distraction that no one would notice, or attribute it to further shifting of the rubble. Either way, she would try.

Stealth [roll0] (To move the beam without sound)
Kat has STR 16 so she should have no trouble lifting it.

Smileybastard
2015-03-12, 07:24 PM
Lyrander

Lyrander follows the main group towards the tower, bow in hand. He says nothing.

Blisstake
2015-03-12, 10:28 PM
"I apologize, Baroness, and I should probably excuse myself from this discussion. Master Varryl and Mistress Letha were in the process of cordoning off the area to prevent any injuries, while my companions and I were going to investigate the source of the collapse of yonder tower. If you would prefer we wait to determine why kobolds were in the Witches Tower, we are humble servants and will comply. It seemed prudent to your loyal guards, however, that we look quickly before any evidence was lost, or disturbed by curious on-lookers.

So good day to you, dear Lady, and we shall report back post-haste."

The baroness doesn't seem entirely convinced. "Your companions and you? I'm sorry, but I don't recognize any of you. With whom, exactly, am I speaking?"

As the baroness is distracted, Kathryne deftly removes the wood plank, exposing the trap door below. When opened up, you can see the main room of the tower below. Another trap door, this time iron, leads further down. Two more kobold corpses are in this room, crushed under the weight of fallen stone.

moondoggy
2015-03-13, 12:40 AM
Slinking along behind Kathryne, Jonnie hops down inside and nudges one of the corpses with his foot. "Yep, deader 'n dirt. Silas told me about kobolds in the area but he never mentioned anythin' about them makin' moves on towns. Whadda ya make o' this, miss Kathryne?"

Starbin
2015-03-13, 11:10 AM
"Your companions and you? I'm sorry, but I don't recognize any of you. With whom, exactly, am I speaking?"

Velgani grinned widely, bowing low again with flourish. "My apologies, dear Lady. I am Velgani Visconti, explorer and chronicler, at your service. I was not trying to imply that you knew me or my companions; on the contrary, we are simple laborers in the service of those who might require aid. In this situation, your noble guards clearly identified a situation that might require a group willing to face danger, both known and unknown, so that they might focus on keeping the townsfolk safe.

I do not wish to bother you further, but if you have specific instructions or requirements as it relates to the investigation of the collapsed tower, I would be eager to hear them." Smiling brightly, Velgani waited patiently, having suddenly become not just a distraction, but now the group's adhoc agent!

Toxic Mind
2015-03-13, 12:12 PM
Kathryne looks down at the halfling. "You should take up thievery. You are very quiet, for one with such a noticeable companion." She says quietly, with a tilted head at Hickory. It wouldn't sound like it, but such a statement was rather high praise. "There are likely more down there, and still living. We should return, and see to it that we are paid for this endeavor. I believe the duchess is currently there, and if she wishes her castle basement cleaned, we should not do it for free. Lesson One, little halfling. If you're good at something, never do it for free." It was more words than Jonnie had ever heard Kathryne say at one time throughout their time together, even during the caravan trip.

Much as she would have liked to put enough distance between herself and the talker so that she would not have to hear his voice, Kathryne was no fool. 4 kobolds meant that there would likely be more. Kathryne surveys the room another moment, and finding nothing of immediate worth, waits for Jonnie to chime in. For all her talk, Kathryne was suspicious of any authority, and if Jonnie pushed, would likely go further down to avoid confrontation.

Blisstake
2015-03-13, 02:15 PM
Lady Origena Devy continues to give Velgani a suspicious look, "I suppose that would be a worthwhile investment, but how do I know you aren't the ones that caused this wreck in the first place?"

Letha clears her throat to get the Baroness' attention, and sheepishly says, "Me and Varryl got here first, Baroness. They couldn't have been the ones that did it."

"Very well, Mr Visconti, you and your associates may continue. If you can find out what caused this incident, then you're entitled to a modest sum from the town's treasury. How does 500 gold coins sound?"

Kathryne and Jonnie get ready to return to the group, but before being able to climb back up, you hear skittering from under you. Two enormous centipedes scurry out of a loose stone, staring at you menacingly and twitching their mandibles in anticipation of food.

2 giant centipedes show up adjacent to Kat. Jonnie is 10 feet away, so he can shoot his crossbow without penalty.

Starbin
2015-03-13, 02:20 PM
"Very well, Mr Visconti, you and your associates may continue. If you can find out what caused this incident, then you're entitled to a modest sum from the town's treasury. How does 500 gold coins sound?"

"Delightfully generous, m'lady. Perhaps you'd be willing to consider a bit of free healing upon our return? Primarily for those ailments that are difficult to cure in the field, of course.

If I may take my leave, then?"

Barring anything else, Velgani will join the others and help with the search.

moondoggy
2015-03-13, 03:06 PM
"Miss Kathryne, look out!" Jonnie shouts, firing off a shot at one of the centipedes.

[roll0]
[roll1]
forgot the +1 from point-blank shot

Toxic Mind
2015-03-13, 03:38 PM
"It's always something." Kathryne complains as the two creatures slither out. Looks like she wouldn't have a chance to secure that payment after all. "I hate working for charity." she mutters under her breath. The twin kukri flash from their sheathes at her back as she studies the centipede. And as quickly as the crossbow bolt left and hit the other insect, Kathryne leaps forward to strike with her main hand at her target.

Free Action: Draw Kukri L/R
Move Action: Study Target - Centipede 2
Attack: Centipede 2
[roll0]
[roll1]

Xunthrae
2015-03-13, 04:22 PM
Cai stays silent, flanking Velgani as he speaks. She's impressed. He's good at this. She follows him towards the rubble.

Blisstake
2015-03-13, 04:42 PM
Kathryn slices off the head of the first centipede that approaches her, and the second is impaled into the wall by one of Jonnie's crossbow bolts. The tower is silent once again, and the iron trapdoor beckons even further down.

Toxic Mind
2015-03-13, 06:15 PM
"Well, lets get to it. No sense in waiting here." Kathryne says, and drops down through the trapdoor.

Blisstake
2015-03-13, 07:23 PM
"Delightfully generous, m'lady. Perhaps you'd be willing to consider a bit of free healing upon our return? Primarily for those ailments that are difficult to cure in the field, of course.

If I may take my leave, then?"

"I have no healing talents of my own, but if you return successful, I will put in the good word with the temple of Abadar. Good luck down there."

Smileybastard
2015-03-14, 12:34 AM
Lyrander

Lyrander heads up into the rubble.
Climb[roll0]

moondoggy
2015-03-14, 12:39 AM
Jonnie chuckles to himself and drops down in after her, crossbow held at the ready. "Thievin', eh? Afraid I'm a bit too honest fer that, less it was somethin' like stealin' from badder folk. If ya wanna go on ahead though, I've got yer back."

Perception check[roll0]

Jonnie can't see diddly.

Blisstake
2015-03-14, 06:37 PM
You open the iron trapdoor, and enter into the room below. It's pitch-black inside, and none of the wall-sconces contain a torch.

I'm assuming someone will provide light of some sort, so...

The walls of this chamber have buckled precariously in several places, and masonry and dirt are scattered across the floor— the collapse above plainly caused this structural damage. The dry-rotted frames of five simple beds lie against the north and south walls. To the southwest, the room broadens into a larger chamber. A rusted, grinning iron statue stands in an alcove in the north wall between the two wings of the room itself, and in the wall to the south is an old iron door.

Smileybastard
2015-03-14, 06:43 PM
Lyrander

Lyrander drops down into the darkness as well, bow in hand. He will move himself with his back against a wall and scans the area.

Perception [roll0]

Toxic Mind
2015-03-14, 07:07 PM
Kathryne pulls a small package from her backpack and unwraps it from the cloth covering it. As the cloth falls away, it sheds light across the area and takes up a position floating next to Kathryne's head, just behind her right ear. "Picked this up a while back. Keeps the hands free" she says at any look the other give her. Kathryne makes her way to the door and stops next to it, placing her ear to the door and attempting to hear what might lie beyond.

Perception:
[roll0]

Xunthrae
2015-03-14, 07:16 PM
Cai climbs up and follows the others into the trap door. With a nudge to Ishaal he begins to hover ever so slightly above her shoulders causing him to shed light from a small nimbus of light underneath him.

Blisstake
2015-03-15, 12:14 AM
Close examination of the walls reveals that they are weak and could collapse if too much pressure was applied. As Kathryn puts her ear to the door, she hears the faint hum of electricity emanating from beyond.

Starbin
2015-03-15, 01:35 AM
"I have no healing talents of my own, but if you return successful, I will put in the good word with the temple of Abadar. Good luck down there."

Velgani bowed again. "That is more than generous, m'lady. Until we meet again!" Rushing off to join the others, he slid down with enough grace to make it look natural, despite his normal lack with regards to climbing. He cast a small cantrip upon his vest to light up the area, then cast detect magic to see if anything of interest was nearby, moving to join his new companions who have journeyed down into a trap door.

"Ah, there you all are! Chop, chop ... we're on the clock! Five hundred gold pieces await, if we but see this excursion through to the source of the collapse. What do we have here, eh?"

With his detections active, Velgani also looks about ...
[roll0] ...

Toxic Mind
2015-03-15, 08:54 PM
"There's something humming. Sounds like electricity... but in a place this old?" she says, a skeptical look on her face.

Starbin
2015-03-16, 12:28 PM
Smiling, Velgani moved forward to listen as well. Murmuring, "You have to like a girl who keeps her priorities consistent ..."", he checked to see if the door appeared locked, or if he could decipher anything unusual that hadn't already been identified.

Detect magic and focus on the other side of the door. Any results for that 17 Perception check?

Barring any detection of a trap or locked door, Velgani will reach for the handle, glancing at the others. "Shall we?"

Blisstake
2015-03-16, 01:05 PM
As you enter into the next room, it is immediately clear what the source of the electricity is. Floating a foot above the ground is a roiling orb that looks like a miniature storm cloud. As soon as the door is opened, a voice echoes through the chamber.

Please present Canteclure Crest for verification

Velgani, Lyrander
The voice sounds like the result of a magic mouth spell. The creature in front of you is likely an elemental of some sort.

Toxic Mind
2015-03-16, 01:24 PM
"Ah yes. The Crest. Come now, you didn't forget to bring it with you again?" Kathryne says with a winning smile that never quite you here Her eyes. She stares pointedly at Velgani. Yet despite all this, the Kukri slip silently from their sheathes and into her hands. Hopefully they can talk their way past but if not...

Starbin
2015-03-16, 01:39 PM
Velgani practically laughed at the question from Kathryne. Before anyone could do anything, he quickly closed the door. Looking back to the others, he grinned. "Well, seeing as how it was not my day to watch the crest, again is a rather strong word. But well played, miss. However, such mystical constructs rarely respond to either humor or sarcasm, so let us think for a moment what might be our best option. Did anyone search the bodies of the kobolds? Or does anyone happen to have a copy of the Canteclure crest on them?"

Might as well roll - [roll0]; [roll1], [roll2], [roll3]

Any information on what the Canteclure crest is/looks like? Any info on the elemental creature?

Xunthrae
2015-03-16, 03:42 PM
Cai responds. "I don't think any of us checked their bodies. It will likely be prudent to at least check them for this crest." She begins to leave the ruins, heading out to search the bodies unless stopped.

Perc: [roll0]

Smileybastard
2015-03-16, 05:25 PM
Lyrander

Lyrander's eyes flick between the miniature storm, Kathryne, Velgani and Cai. "Does anyone know what Canteclure even means?"

moondoggy
2015-03-16, 06:09 PM
"Hold up, miss Caiella, I'll come with." Jonnie says, scurrying off behind her. "Hoo boy, I ain't never seen anythin' like that a'fore, miss. Talkin' storm cloud. Man, that sure was somethin'..." He trails off and begins searching the kobolds when they reach them.

Perception: [roll0]
As they search the bodies, Jonnie goes on rambling. "Ya ever come across somethin' like that, miss Caiella? I know ya got some kinda magical learnin' seein' as how ya patched me up that one time. Remember? Awhile back? After we handled them bandits and one of 'em had me laid up with that hole in my gut. I thought I was done fer, but you came and weaved some kinda spell and patched me up all fit like a fiddle." The halfling stops for a moment, thinking, before a sheepish smile spreads across his face. "Ya know... Come ta think of it, I never properly thanked ya for that. Next time ya find yerself in a pickle and ya need a hand, you can count on ol' Jonnie and Hickory ta help ya out, honest promise!"

Blisstake
2015-03-16, 06:21 PM
Cai and Jonnie go off to examine the kobold corpses thoroughly, but the only even remotely usable items they have are their rusty shortswords. This seems to be a dead end until Jonnie notices something odd about their scaly hands. A strange symbol has been drawn with ink on their palms: a crude drawing of two crossed swords inside a circle.

Meanwhile, the floating storm continues to float above the ground, crackling menacingly.

Present Canteclure Crest now. You have 10 seconds to comply.

Velgani
The Canteclures are the ones that supplanted the rule of Tula Belhaim after she died with no heirs, and the Witch Tower is (or rather was) the last remaining section of the castle they ruled from. They were vicious leaders, and were removed from power when their patriarch rebelled against the Crown Prince of Taldor. Their crest was a snake surrounding two crossed swords.

Starbin
2015-03-16, 06:50 PM
Velgani answered absently. "It is the name of the tyrannical rulers preceding the current Lady Deva. They followed Madame Belheim, the town founder, who unfortunately left no better suited kin. The Canteclure's were harsh, cruel, and probably poor at playing Jacks and Hearts. The crest we are seeking should be crossed swords encircled by a snake."

@Blisstake - I thought we closed the door?

Xunthrae
2015-03-17, 05:04 PM
Cai smiles at Jonnie, "I've never come across something quite like that in my studies, and you are quite welcome. Anyone would do the same if they were able." She pats him on the back kindly, "I'll be sure to keep that in mind, Jonnie."

Smileybastard
2015-03-17, 05:07 PM
Lyrander

"The air elemental seems to want that crest right away, so if you do not wish to fight it I suggest you hurry."

Blisstake
2015-03-17, 08:18 PM
With very little time to spare, Cai and Jonnie manage to bring the kobold corpse to the door, and present the symbol on its hand.

Thank you for your cooperation. If you are not authorized to bring weapons, please leave them at the door.

The floating spark dissipates harmlessly, allowing you further access into the old castle's basement. The room you enter appears to be a prison of some sorts with a dozen cells that would be of no use today due to their deteriorated bars and padlocks. Two doors lead to elsewhere in the dungeon, one labelled "Interrogation" and the other labeled "Special Holdings."

Smileybastard
2015-03-17, 09:15 PM
Lyrander

"Hmm. I am not sure I like the sound of that."

Starbin
2015-03-17, 10:12 PM
Velgani smiled widely at the appearance of the kobold bodies. "Well done, my newfound companions! Swift thinking indeed. Now, let us see what these doors hold. While Special Holdings would peak my interest in a bank, I can only conjecture what it might mean in a dungeon ... and what might still be there even today. Perhaps we should start with Interrogation first?

And if you feel the need to disarm yourselves, feel free. Might I suggest we take a moment to copy the crest onto your palms first? Unless someone sees the remains of a guard nearby?"

Toxic Mind
2015-03-17, 10:12 PM
Since the elemental didn't bother to actually check if they were authorized, Kathryne doesn't even pretend to put aside her weapons. "I like the sound of Special Holdings." Kathryne muses quietly, mostly to herself but does not gainsay Velgani.

"I'm got my crest" she says, deftly slicing off the hand of the kobold with her Kukri.

Xunthrae
2015-03-18, 06:39 PM
Cai nods along with her sister's vote. "Special holdings seems a good a place as any to start."

Starbin
2015-03-18, 09:16 PM
Velgani watched with idle interest as Kathryne cut of the hand of a kobold. Glancing at the others, he shrugged, pulling out a pen and drawing a rough approximation of the crest on the back of his left hand.

Once complete, he turned to the two ladies. "It seems you wish to see what oddities may have found themselves housed in the 'Special Holdings' section of the prison. Let us hope that anything surviving is not still sour on being placed here in the first place. Onward and inward, my curious friends!"

Stepping towards the doors, he whispered a cantrip to see if anything mystical lay beyond the door marked Special Holdings. Then he checked the door to see if it were locked.

Taking 10 on a Craft check for a total of 13. Next, [roll0] ... and if necessary, [roll1]

Blisstake
2015-03-18, 09:41 PM
The door to special holdings is stuck, but old enough that it doesn't take that much strength to force it open. Two cells occupy this cramped room, held tight by a sturdy iron frame whose only view out of the cell is a tiny, barred window. As soon as you enter the room, a thin, emaciated hand grasps the bars, and a shaky voice calls out to you:

“Oh, gods, kind faces! Aroden bless you, noble souls! I ain’t seen the jailers in ages, I think they forgot about us! We ain’t eaten in days and the water’s all but gone—my cousins’re both sick. I swear we’d give back the boar if we could, but we ate it, starvin’ as we was. We didn’t even know it was the baron’s lands, didn’t know we was poachin’! I beg you, we’re all gonna die in here! Kindness, noble souls, we’ve suffered awful! Good Baron Sarvo wills it!”

Smileybastard
2015-03-18, 10:57 PM
Lyrander

Lyrander pays little head to the starving prisoners and keeps his eyes open for more danger. "So they were caught poaching, but they were abandoned, I say set them free."

Perception [roll0]

Toxic Mind
2015-03-19, 09:04 AM
Kathryne puts out an arm to stop Lysander. "Why? We have no guarantee that they are who they claim." Kathryne says simply, her dagger still in her hands.

moondoggy
2015-03-19, 09:58 AM
This feels off... Jonnie thought to himself, staying back closer to the door. "Tell me, friend," he starts in a calm and friendly tone. "How many of ya are in there and who's this Baron Sarvo? I ain't local to these parts..."

Blisstake
2015-03-19, 10:12 AM
The prisoner ignores Jonnie's questioning.

"Please! Food... water... the good Baron Sarvo wills it!"

Velgani
Baron Sarvo was the last of the Canteclures to rule Belhaim, and the one who rebelled against the Taldan crown.

Starbin
2015-03-21, 12:43 AM
Velgani nodded at the warning. "As much as I hate prison myself, I must agree with caution. The goodly Baron Sarvo was no saint ... and I am uncertain whether this fellow is a direct representative, or the Baron himself! Either way, it is probably best we learn a bit more about him, and why he is in this particular section of the prison before we go letting him free. This is not where you put common thieves ..."

Glancing around, Velgani picked up a rock and cast a cantrip upon it to illuminate it, then tossed it into the cell. Perhaps that would shed some light on the situation.

[roll0] ... and [roll1]

Blisstake
2015-03-21, 02:14 AM
A high pitched scream is heard as Velgani tosses the rock inside.

"No more, I beg you! Please... food, water... the Good Baron Sarvo wills it!"

The rock didn't seem to make contact with anything other than the cell floor

Smileybastard
2015-03-21, 08:17 AM
Lyrander

Lyrander holds his ground. Kathryne is right. This could be a trap, but to see them caged like this.

moondoggy
2015-03-22, 12:18 AM
"Umm, guys... D-did that rock pass right through him?" Jonnie stammered. "I don't think we should open the cell..."

Toxic Mind
2015-03-22, 12:28 AM
"Well aren't we clever" Kathryne says as the rock hits nothing. At Jonnie's comment, she frowns. "Let's not take that off the table just yet. Perhaps it has something to offer us." she says, peering into the cell at what must be an illusion in front of them. "Creature, if you wish to be free, you will show us your true form. I will make no bargains with something I cannot see. If you can offer us something we need, I will speak to my companions about freeing you."

Blisstake
2015-03-22, 01:23 AM
The creature doesn't seem to register anything being said to it.

"Please... I'm begging you. I will starve, I will die! Food... water... the Good Baron Sarvo wills it!"

moondoggy
2015-03-23, 08:04 AM
Jonnie removes his hat and scratches his head. "I don't think whatever it is is capable of actually talkin', miss Kathryne. Might be harmless, might be some kind o' magic alarm or somethin', I don't rightly know. This place was called the Witch's Tower or somethin' like that. Could set this whole place off crawlin' with more o' them talkin' thunder things if'n we mess with it." He hitches his crossbow on his back and turns to leave. "I'm gonna pass on this and check out the other room. Old dusty maybe-magic ghost things are just a little outta my range of expertise."

With that, Jonnie heads back to the door marked INTERROGATIONS and opens it.

Smileybastard
2015-03-23, 09:05 AM
Lyrander

Lyrander, looks a little baffled. "What do you mean the good baron wills it?"

He swings his bow to cover the new door, about to be opened.

Toxic Mind
2015-03-23, 09:08 AM
"Agreed" Kathryne says and follows Jonnie

Xunthrae
2015-03-23, 09:36 AM
Cai is content observing, letting the others speak with the unknown being. She follows her sister and Jonnie out of the room.

Blisstake
2015-03-23, 11:51 AM
The party decides to leave the wailing creature behind, and heads off toward the room labelled "interrogation." It's about as pleasant as the description would suggest. The dank room stores an ancient rack, a fanciful brazen bull, an iron maiden, a cauldron, iron chairs with sharp edges and cruel protuberances, and a wooden table upon which sit various implements of torture. A bronze plaque affixed to the western wall depicts a thin snake surrounding crossed blades. Underneath the swords, a short phrase is inscribed "Confession cleanses the soul. Pain clarifies the mind."

As you investigate the room, a voice calls out, appearing to come from the plaque itself: "You look weary. Why not rest in one of these fine chairs?"

Jonnie
You feel a strange compulsion to follow the commands of the voice, but you resist it.

moondoggy
2015-03-23, 11:55 AM
Perturbed by the disembodied voice, Jonnie looks towards the plaque bearing the Canteclure crest. "If it's all the same to you, magic talking plaque, I'd rather stand..."

Smileybastard
2015-03-23, 12:05 PM
Lyrander

"Likely because the chairs look far from restful and besides and think you and I have differing points of view on pain and confession."

Lyrander scans the room looking for danger.

Perception [roll0]

Blisstake
2015-03-23, 12:42 PM
Lyrander's sharp eyes pick up a slight groove along the surface of the far wall. It looks like there might be a hidden passage beyond. In addition, he also notices that the voice appears to be coming slightly above the plaque, not from the plaque itself.

The room is full of dangerous objects. If anyone is specifically searching any of the torture devices listed, let me know.

Smileybastard
2015-03-23, 12:52 PM
Lyrander

Lyrander points to the groove on the wall. "Look there. I think there may be a secret door there and I think the voice is coming from above the plaque."

moondoggy
2015-03-23, 01:08 PM
Jonnie sidles up to the iron maiden with an audible gulp. "I've heard tell stories about these painful things, but never seen one in person a'fore." He rests his hand on the cold metal, looking up at the face adorning it a moment before opening it up.

Blisstake
2015-03-23, 01:18 PM
As Jonnie moves toward the iron maiden, he hears the voice call out again, this time a bit frantic. "Ah... wait, no, no! Don't open-!"

A pile of bones, dust, and other rusted items fall out of the torture device, no doubt the remains of its last unfortunate victim. Among the remains and rubbish, the halfling spots a silvery metallic glow...

"Stop, stop, stop!"

A tiny, horned creature with red skin appears out of thin air, hovering a few feet off the ground with leather wings. Its scorpion-like tail twitches in anger. "Why can't you just sit on the chair!?" It swoops down toward Jonnie, aiming at the ranger with its barbed tail.

Imp attacks Jonnie: [roll0]. Damage: [roll1]. If it hits, make a DC 13 fort save or take [roll2] dex damage.

Kathryn, Caiella, Jonnie
Among the remains in the iron maiden, you quickly spot what appear to be two masterwork mithril shortswords.

Velgani
The creature is an imp. Normal weapon attacks may not be effective, but silver or mithral should be able to pierce its skin.

Toxic Mind
2015-03-23, 01:33 PM
Kathryne cannot stop the expression of surprise at the short swords. In Daggerfall, objects of such value were kept only by those who had taken them, usually at the end of a knife or by poison, from their former owners. She wanted them. "Dibs." She said, a smile that may or may not have been sarcastic on her face. The kukri in her main hand goes back into its holster even as she vaults across the room to grab one of the short swords in her dominant hand. "Let's see what these can do. Perhaps I can help you clarify your mind!" she shouts at the imp, clearly in reference to the motto of this room.

Move action to move to swords
Free action to sheathe Kukri (MH)
Standard action to pick up Mithral Short sword.

Yes, she's leaving one for someone else. No, she won't steal this one after the battle.

Starbin
2015-03-23, 01:47 PM
Velgani watched the others simply decide to ignore the voice and head out of the room. Curious, and not completely heartless, he reached into his pack and pulled out a spot of food from breakfast. Leaning a little closer, he whispered "Sorry I do not have more for you, but perhaps this small piece will help you find some small peace." Tossing the food into room, he touched his head in a Varisian gesture, then turned to follow the others in the interrogation room.

Stepping into the next area, he glanced at the others, who seemed somewhat tense. While Lyander was peering at a crest on the wall, Jonnie was busy opening up an iron maiden to the side. Then all hell broke loose.

An imp appeared out of nowhere, screeching about sitting in a chair, and Kathryne leapt across the room to grab a sword from the iron maiden. "I cannot leave you lot for a moment and you're already fighting! Now watch out, don't play with that thing ... you don't know where it's been! You'll need silver! Or truesilver. Or maybe a bit o' magic. Or some items of a holier-than-thou bent. Or very large rocks."
Draw the whip, move to flank the little bugger.

moondoggy
2015-03-23, 02:13 PM
Jonnie takes the barbed stinger to the shoulder and, upon hearing Velgani's advice, grabs for the other mithril shortsword, brandishing it at the imp. "Truesilver, eh? Now me ol' uncle had a pigsticker made of the stuff and it looked a lot like this here. Whatcha think, mister sneaky devil? D'ya think this silver looks true enough?!"

Lets see if the poison takes hold.
[roll0]

Jonnie takes a 5' step back from the imp, shortsword held at the ready.

Smileybastard
2015-03-23, 04:32 PM
Lyrander

Lyrander lets his arrow fly at the demonic looking creature.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Attack [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

Xunthrae
2015-03-23, 11:14 PM
Caiella leaves the blades for others who are more proficient, instead she calls upon the power of her spirit magic. Her eyes turn wholly black and the colors of the world around her dim as she conjures a burst of stardust around the devil. The dust coating it glows like a candle, illuminating it's surroundings.

Standard to use the Heaven's Spirit ability: Stardust (Sp) (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/shaman/spirits/heavens)

Blisstake
2015-03-24, 12:08 AM
Velgani feels a warm presence after he tosses the food to the prisoner. "Thank... you..."

The bard suddenly has an inkling that something else is hidden in the cell. You'll have to return after the imp is dealt with.

The devil is outlined with a bright light from Cai's incantation. He is struck by Lyrander's arrow, but its skin seems to absorb most of the impact.

"Ack! Drop that this instant!" The imp switches its attention to Kathryne, and thrusts its barbed tail toward her. It's clearly concerned about the weapon that the slayer picked up.

Imp makes an attack roll against Kat

Hit: [roll0] (-1 for stardust)
Damage: [roll1]

If hit, make a DC 13 fortitude or take [roll2] dexterity damage.

Toxic Mind
2015-03-24, 08:42 PM
Kathryne takes the barb in the shoulder. But there is no grimace of pain, no exclamation, only cold calculation as she stares blankly at the imp, complete lack of emotion in her eyes. "Your poison is pathetic. I drank worse when I was an acolyte." Suddenly she grins evilly and slashes down with the mithral short sword.

Move Action: Study Target: Imp
Standard Action: Attack
[roll0]
[roll1]

moondoggy
2015-03-25, 01:00 PM
Emboldened by Kathryne's offensive, Jonnie ignores the sluggish feeling from the poison and swings the mythril blade at the devil as well.

Mythril shortsword swing [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Starbin
2015-03-26, 07:16 AM
Velgani was uncertain he would have much of an impact, but he lashed out with his whip, trying to distract the imp if nothing else.

Move to get within 15' (if necessary), and attack.
[roll0], [roll1] (no effect if the imp has +1 armor bonus, or +3 natural armor)

Blisstake
2015-03-27, 12:28 PM
Jonnie and Kathryne strike powerful blows against the imp, their mythril blades easily cutting through its rough skin. The outsider clearly looks like it wishes to flee, but for some reason it remains in the room.

"Nooooo! Stop, I don't want to die!" Despite begging for its pathetic life, the imp continues to jab its tail at Kathryne.

Attack against Kat: [roll0]

Toxic Mind
2015-03-27, 12:37 PM
As the stinger strikes into her shoulder, Kathryne grimaces in pain. "Neat." Kathryne responds to the plea, her voice cold and pitiless. If it really wanted to surrender, it wouldn't have stabbed her.

Shortsword
[roll0]
[roll1]
Kukri
[roll2]
[roll3]

Xunthrae
2015-03-27, 01:14 PM
Cai follows up with another burst of stardust against the creature.

4/6 uses left

Starbin
2015-03-27, 01:22 PM
Velgani paused for a moment, whipping at the little buzzard again. "If you do not wish to hasten your departure from this plane, why do you continue to provoke those around you? Might it not be in your best interest to surrender and discuss this in a civilized manner? Otherwise, I think you'll be in little pieces soon ...".

Might be too late to save him, but Velgani will snap the whip out in a distraction

moondoggy
2015-03-28, 12:53 AM
With Kathryne and Velgani distracting the imp, Jonnie makes his move hoping to finish the bugger off.

Mythril shortsword swing [roll0] (flanking bonus)
Damage [roll1]

Smileybastard
2015-03-28, 06:29 AM
Lyrander

Lyrander realizes his arrows don't do much against the little beast, but every little bit helps. He draws another arrow and fires it into the fray.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Attack [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

Blisstake
2015-03-28, 11:51 AM
"But... I can't leave!" The imp ducks under the two mithral shortswords, but doesn't pay attention to the arrow and kukri that come his way. The blows aren't exceptionally powerful, but they are enough to finish off the wounded imp.

"No!"

The creature's flesh begins to disintegrate. Soon, all that's left is a pile of ash on the ground, leaving you free to explore the rest of the dungeon.

Velgani
Outsiders have their body and soul as one unit, so when they take enough damage their whole body just fades away as you saw.

You still feel like there might be something hidden in the cell where you threw food to the prisoner.

Starbin
2015-03-28, 12:02 PM
Wrapping up his whip, Velgani smiled in approval. "Well done, alll! I am uncertain what bound that imp to this place, but it was unfortunate he felt the need to attack rather than talk. He might still be with us had he but considered alternative options.

While you lot look around, I think there is something to that room with our transparent friend in the Special Holdings section. I had a sense of ... intrigue once I tossed the poor soul some food. I will go check it out. Feel free to come running if you hear screaming like a ...", he glanced at Kathryne and grinned, "... like a lost little boy."

Back over to check out the room. Caution and care are the orders of the day!

Xunthrae
2015-03-28, 12:21 PM
Cai moves quickly to Kat while Velgani is speaking. She Intones her incantation and again her eyes change and the color drains from around her as she lays a comforting hand on her sister, passing positive energy into her. "All better?" She grins, patting her sister on the back as her healing takes effect.

Use CLW on Kat, [roll0]

Smileybastard
2015-03-28, 01:44 PM
Lyrander

Lyrander heads to the remains of the body, to see if he can recover his arrows. "Maybe that which bound it here also compelled it to attack us. In either case it suggests there is something to protect here."

Blisstake
2015-03-28, 03:51 PM
As you backtrack to the special holdings room, you're able to check the cell for additional clues, the mysterious presence that was there earlier seems to have vanished. Inside the cell is some loose masonry, and it is easy enough to break through to the hidden room passage behind. This new location is fairly simple; just a dead end-hallway with a lever at the end of the hall. Next to the lever is a chain that leads up to a small hole in the ceiling, where it likely connects to mechanisms above your head. Pulling the lever may alter something further in the dungeon

moondoggy
2015-03-29, 01:28 AM
Jonnie looks at the hanging chain, then back at the group. "I guess we gotta pull this thing." On tiptoes he reaches up and grabs the lever, pulling it down.

Blisstake
2015-03-29, 01:30 AM
After Jonnie pulls the lever, the chain to the side pulls upward. You can hear mechanical clanks coming from the west, in the same direction as the interrogation room.

Toxic Mind
2015-03-29, 11:36 AM
"Much" Kathryne says to Cai, and when no one is looking gives her a quick hug and a whispered. "Thanks" She heads back to the interrogation room to see what Jonnie's actions have changed.

Blisstake
2015-03-29, 12:12 PM
The interrogation rooms looks unchanged, but there is still the hidden door that Lyrander located before the imp attacked. Through the door, you discover a narrow passage, around 5 feet wide. The passage winds around for some time, until you notice a long patch of it covered in a pool of acid. Thankfully, the lever that was pulled seems to have extended a slimy metal platform halfway over the pool.

Although wet and slimy, you're able to cross the platform without too much difficulty

It's a DC 7 acrobatics check, and there's no rush, so you can all pass it by taking a 10

The hallway ends with a rusted iron door. Perhaps the source of the tower's collapse lies beyond.

The hallway is 5 feet wide, so I'd like to know who's first in line.

Starbin
2015-03-31, 03:27 PM
With the slim plank running to the door, Velgani waited for a moment to see if anyone else would move. When it became apparent that everyone else wanted to be last, he sighed. "Far be it from me to ask others to step forward if I am unwilling! Let us see what is beyond the veil, yes?"

Walking forward carefully, he checked the plank to make sure it wasn't going to fall through, or wasn't an illusion. Then he'd cautiously approache the door and listen at it before trying to open it.

Detect magic on the room first, [roll0] on the room, then [roll1] at the door.

Game on!

Blisstake
2015-03-31, 04:00 PM
The door is quite real, and Velgani doesn't detect any magic or sounds on the other side of it. However, considering the door is made out of iron, it is quite possible that any magic effects are being dampened from detection.

Nice try, but at least 1 inch of metal blocks detect magic :smalltongue:

Smileybastard
2015-03-31, 06:32 PM
Lyrander

Lyrander shrugs. "I'd go first, but the archer going first is not the best tactics."

Starbin
2015-04-01, 07:37 AM
Sensing nothing beyond the door, Velgani grinned back at the others and shrugged his shoulders. "Least it be said that a Varisian was out-bolded by a halfling, here we go! Ready yourselves, my dearest companions, for who knows what might be beyond this door! Perhaps another ghost, angry for the state of affairs in this former Fortress of Fear? A mighty kobold sorcerer who seeks to destroy the town of Belhaim to uncover a great treasure below? A mighty xorn, drawn to this place by magiks of old? Or mayhap a slumbering dragon, aroused to anger by the trespassing of thieving dwarves, seeking legendary items of yore?"

After a few moments of talking, he realized his companions were not nearly as patient as he might be, so he reached forward and tried to open the door.

Actually, I was more concerned that the plank was an illusion, so the detect magic was more for this side of the door. Guessing my perception checks didn't a) hear anything beyond the door, or b) see any obvious traps/locks on the door

Toxic Mind
2015-04-01, 11:05 AM
Kat readies the mithral shortsword and her kukri. She wouldn't be unprepared, at least.

Blisstake
2015-04-01, 11:26 AM
What lies beyond the door is far less exciting than anything Velgani had predicted. The room past the door is a 5x5 confined metal space, with an identical door on the far side. As soon as you open the door, you hear a voice call out:

Please close the door behind you and present Canteclure crest for access.

Velgani
With the door open, you detect Illusion magic, consistent with a magic mouth spell, as well as transmutation magic.

Starbin
2015-04-01, 01:21 PM
With a wide, smile, Velgani produced the crest he had pilfered from the previous room, motioning for the others to either get in and close the door, or step outside. Quietly (for once) he waited to see what would happen next.

Of course it was entirely possible that the cause of the explosion was someone trying to get into this area without proper authorization, and he was compounding the carelessness with an equally foolhardy attempt of his own, but where was the fun in thinking that way?

Let's see if this works!

Blisstake
2015-04-01, 03:32 PM
With the door closed, and the crest presented, the voice calls out again.

Thank you. Please proceed with the pass phrase for entry.

Velgani
You're not sure why, but you feel like you have heard the phrase you're supposed to say.

Starbin
2015-04-01, 03:43 PM
Glancing at the others, Velgani taps on his chin for a moment. Looking around, he frantically checked his clothes, looked around the floor and walls, tehn stopped with a grin and a shrug. Winking, he simply said. "The good Baron Sarvo wills it."

What's the worst that could happen?

Famous last words :smallbiggrin:

Blisstake
2015-04-01, 03:59 PM
As Velgani speaks the words, the door on the opposite side opens up, leading further in. The room it leads into is guarded by a strange four-armed metal construct, but it appears to be either dormant, or non-aggressive. Beyond the creature is yet another iron door, yet this one is slightly ajar. An iron padlock sits on the ground, yet there is little dust over it. Someone or something had passed through the door in front of you fairly recently.

Starbin
2015-04-02, 07:40 AM
Pausing only to make sure the four armed sentry (?) remained still, Velgani took in the room with a steady look. With a finger to his lips, he pointed at the lock on the floor. Moving forward quietly, he looked at the lock closely to see if he could tell if it were picked or opened with a key, then moved to listen at the open door.

Perception checks? [roll0], [roll1], and maybe a [roll2] ... So many low bonuses, what the heck AM I good at? :smallsmile:

Blisstake
2015-04-02, 01:41 PM
The shackle of the padlock seems to have been snapped from excessive force on the other end of the door. It probably wasn't too difficult due to its rusted state, but it does mean entry was forced through the other side of the door.

Starbin
2015-04-02, 01:54 PM
(OOC - If Velgani didn't hear anything, he would continue forward and try to peer through the door)

Toxic Mind
2015-04-02, 02:11 PM
Kathryne stares at the bard. Leader indeed. For all that he talks, he can back it up as well. Kathryne re-evaluates her impressions of the man's skill, though not how annoying his speeches were.

Xunthrae
Cai follows, keeping her eyes peeled. Ishaal, around her neck, continues to shed light like a candle.

Blisstake
In the next room, an area along the south wall is enclosed in a cage of thick iron bars that extend from floor to ceiling. Within the enclosure sit seven black iron chests. To the north, the stone wall has collapsed, revealing a rough-hewn tunnel. On the wall next to the bars, you see an outline of the Canteclure Crest, except the two swords are parallel rather than crossed. In addition, there also seems to be two slits in the wall where the swords are.

Starbin
2015-04-02, 02:15 PM
Seeing no one in the room, Velgani ways to the rest of the group. "Well, we seem to have found a room, complete with what might just be treasure chests. Oh, and a tunnel - how absolutely classic! Now, based on the crest, perhaps those swords are some sort of clue ... parallel versus crossed ... I wonder what it means. Are these slits for swords to go into? I wonder ..."

He glanced back at Jonnie and Kathryne, a look of mild innocence on his face.

He'll let the others take a 'stab' at this one :smallbiggrin:

Toxic Mind
2015-04-02, 03:45 PM
"I better get this back." Kathryne looks at the sword sadly. She puts it into the slot on the wall, aligning it properly.

Blisstake
2015-04-02, 05:44 PM
Inserting both mithral short swords into the slots allows you to rotate a small section of the wall. Eventually, you hear a click, and the iron bars blocking the chests sink into the ground, granting you access to the seven chests.

Before you can gather your spoils, the group notices a humanoid shape skulking about the tunnel to the north. It begins to approach you, and you notice rotting flesh, and a face full of sharp teeth. It moves with a strange limp, and you notice a small dagger impaled into its leg.

Lyrander, Kat, and Cai win initiative. After them the ghoul goes. It's 20 feet away.

Smileybastard
2015-04-02, 06:25 PM
Lyrander

Lyrander fires an arrow at the creature. "Anyone need a dagger?"

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

moondoggy
2015-04-03, 07:51 AM
Jonnie wastes no time plinking a bolt into the ghastly creature. "We need ta put this monster down 'fore it gets topside and hurts somebody!"

Crossbow shot: [roll0]

Starbin
2015-04-03, 08:03 AM
Velgani was looking at the chests when he heard the shambling steps from the tunnel and turned quickly to see what was coming up. Blinking, he thought for a moment as he reached for his sword. "Aye, taking this beastie out before it touches you would be preferable. Of course, the number of creatures that such fine advice does NOT apply are few, but in particular I think we have additional concerns. If this indeed is a ghoul, you know, one of those poor shambling souls that exists somewhere between living and dead, but soooooo much quicker than say, you classic zombie. Anyway, if it is indeed a ghoul, it may freeze you with but a touch of its nasty claws and you may develop a nasty skin condition and desire for flesh."

Glancing around at the number of elven features, he raised an eyebrow. "Well, for most of us NOT of elvish decent, I suppose ..."

[roll0] Let's see what he knows ...
EDIT: Apparently a lot! Anyhoo, just some filler until Vel's turn ...

(OOC - Edited after KS, with the presumption it is indeed a ghoul and not a ghast or zombie)

Toxic Mind
2015-04-03, 10:08 AM
Kathryne watches the ghoul, never taking her eyes off the beast, studying it's reactions. She moves to the side of the room so that when the ghoul enters, she will be well placed to ambush it. The Kukri in her hand remains, and the masterwork dagger comes out of her boot as she moves.

Study Target
Move out of LoS for the ghoul and into easy flanking position when it comes out of the tunnel

Xunthrae
2015-04-03, 11:13 AM
Cai pulls out her heavy mace and prepares to strike should it get too close to her.

Move: Pull out mace
Standard: Strike if it gets into range

Blisstake
2015-04-03, 12:22 PM
Jonnie actually should have gone after the ghoul, but I'll have his roll get counted after the ghoul takes a turn (adding 1 to hit and damage for point blank shot. Same for Lyrander, he has PBS, so I'm adding 1 to his hit and damage).

Lyrander scores an arrow square between the creature's eyes. If the ghoul weren't already dead, that would have certainly killed it. In anger it rushes toward the archer, swiping a clawed hand in his face.

Hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] No paralysis because Lyrander is an elf

After the ghoul swings, Jonnie takes a shot at its back, causing it to stumble and fall over. It twitches for a few moments, but eventually ceases its movements.

The threat is gone, but the dagger in its leg is somewhat worrying. It's rather small, fit for a kobold perhaps?

You are once again able to bring your attention to the seven black chests. They are all locked, but perhaps someone with a lockpick could find a way to force them open.

Starbin
2015-04-03, 12:40 PM
(OOC - I think I put 'thieves tools' on Velgani's sheet, but I can't access it at work. If I didn't, I'm a goof.)

Velgani clapped in approval at the swift work the group made of the ghoul. He peered at the body for a moment, checking the dagger before peering down the tunnel. After a few moments, he checked the wall to see which way it had fallen, inward or out? Finally, he headed over to the chests, all the time humming some ditty about a rather colorful girl named Shirl. Reaching down, he checked for all the classic traps - small needles, extra clasps, false locks, holes for tiny critters or face-melting acid to come out.

After a bit, he looked back and grinned. "Guess we should try and open these, aye?"

Alrighty, [roll0], then Disable device: Taking 10 if possible to see if Vel can open them. Total 15 (unless he has tools, then 17). If that doesn't work, we can try again.

Blisstake
2015-04-03, 01:32 PM
Taking a 10 isn't enough, but taking a 20 is. I assume you'll get them open eventually.

The first four chests contain coins, one for the coppers, silvers, golds, and even platinums. The Canteclures probably had more money at their disposal during the height of their reign, but their remaining coins are still nothing to scoff at. The fifth chest contains a few pouches of teardrop shaped opal gems. The sixth chest holds a silver medallion bearing the Canteclure's Crest and a rusting rapier that must have once been of fine make. The final, and smallest chest, contains a well-preserved journal filled with clumsily-written romantic poems and stories. Anyone with the slightest taste in literature would find it to be utter drivel.

700gp worth of coins
??? worth of opals (you'll want to find a specific buyer in town for them)
Amulet of Natural Armor +1
Broken +1 rapier (someone might be able to repair it in town)
Book of Shameful Poetry (worth nothing, except a few laughs)

Starbin
2015-04-03, 01:50 PM
After more than a few minutes, they managed to open all the chests. Looking through them, Velgani gave a low whistle. "Well, it seems there is a bounty of booty for our bevy bruisers! Anyone of a mind for some pi$$ poor poetry? If so, I probably could make a rhyme or two of my own." With a wink, Velgani pulled forth the book, flipping through the pages with numerous snorts and chuckles.

Haven't quite gotten the feel of the group yet, so Velgani won't actually 'claim' anything just yet. But he is already counting the money from the Baroness, too :smallsmile: Dang, mending would work if Vel was 3rd!

Anything of note on a) the collapsed wall (inward or outward), or b) the dagger?

moondoggy
2015-04-03, 01:59 PM
Jonnie stands next to him, curious about the book. "After this I could use a laugh or two. Lemme take a look at it, Velgani." He takes the book and starts thumbing through it. After a moment of silence he busts into a peal of laughter punctuated by the occasional snort. "Ahaha! Hahahahahahehehee, oh me oh my. Guys snrk this book is hilarious. These poems, this one's pr-pretty good, hooo..." Taking what he imagines to be a sophisticated pose, he begins to read aloud, struggling to maintain his composure while doing so.

"I've fallen in love- I don't know why
I've fallen in love with a girl with one eye.
I knew from the start. It was plain to see
That this wonderful girl had an eye out for me
Of eyes - at the moment - she hasn't a full set
But that doesn't change things for me one bit.
It must be quite difficult if you're bereft.
If your left eye is gone and your right eye is left.
But she'll not leave me waiting, not left in the lurch
If she looks slightly sideways she'll see me in church."

He attempts a courtly bow but cannot contain the repressed giggles and starts laughing all over again. "Ooohahahaa... Phew. I ain't never been much for readin', but I think, heh, this one's definitely a keeper. It's too funny."

Starbin
2015-04-03, 02:16 PM
Velgani stood tall and clapped politely, his nose high in the air, then he broke out into a smile a mile wide. "You never said you were an entertainer, friend Jonnie! Such skills must be kept sharpened, else you find yourself armed with naught but a dull wit. Now, might I suggest we lock these back up and see what the tunnel has to offer? Or at the least hide any treasure we have found, just in case the guards above decide to follow and lay claim to anything they see."

Headed into Easter weekend - posting will be limited, so have Velgani do whatever we need to keep pressing onward ... just presume he does it with more words than absolutely necessary, but always for his own amusement :smallwink:

Smileybastard
2015-04-03, 03:46 PM
Lyrander

Lyrander dodges the creatures attack and steps back to fire again, but it is already dead.

Toxic Mind
2015-04-03, 05:42 PM
"If this is their safety stash, I would love to have gotten a look at their coffers in their prime." Kathryne whistles appreciatively at the sight of all the coin.

At Velgani's suggestion of hiding the treasure, Kathryne chuckles. "They'd never make it past the elemental. Those cowards will not follow us. I will carry what needs to be carried."

Blisstake
2015-04-05, 06:51 PM
The tunnel opens up to a large cave which appears to have been recently scratched from the hard-packed earth, and its ceiling is only five feet high. Several tons of debris fill the western portion of the cave. What appears to be the body of a man lies half buried under the rubble near the north end of the cave. Near him are two kobold corpses buried under rocks, each grasping a spade.

Toxic Mind
2015-04-05, 06:55 PM
"Looks like the kobolds tunneled in and collapsed the tower in the process." Kathryne says with a sour look on her face. Stupid creatures. She makes her way across the room, weapons drawn, towards the corpse. "This ones not a kobold at least."

[roll0]

Blisstake
2015-04-05, 06:58 PM
Kathryn searches the bodies, but the only thing of interest is a key-ring on the man's body. Everything else of value must have been looted. The cause of death among all of them seems to be the fallen debris.

Anyone who is trained in heal can make a check to see how long they've been dead.

Starbin
2015-04-06, 12:10 PM
To Kat's comments on the cowardice of those above, he shrugged. "I do not know those guards personally, so I cannot confirm their lack of courage ... but I rarely bet against the power of hunger or greed, so I hope it is as you say. That being said, let see what the room yonder might hold to help clarify this puzzle a bit more ..."

Stepping into the other room, he glanced around appraisingly, trying to get a feel for what exactly had happened here. It seemed as Kat had said - the kobolds had accidentally collapsed the tunnel ... but the real question was where they were headed and what they were doing. The two kobolds had shovels, so it seemed they were already digging, but where were they headed? And who was the man?

Moving over to check the bodies carefully, Velgani peered at the man first, noting the ring Kat pulled away from him, then checked the kobolds, too. "Well, these bodies answer some questions, but ask even more - why were they here? Where did they come from? Who is the man with them? Where did the ghoulish character come from? Why were they headed further into the castle, and what were they looking for?"

Well, Velgani can make checks untrained, so [roll0] to see 'time of death' and [roll=KS Engineering]1d20+4[roll] (will reroll in ooc) to determine if this was part of a larger tunneling effort, or if these guys were trying to dig out from here.

moondoggy
2015-04-06, 01:21 PM
"I reckon we've opened a real jar of worms here; all questions and no answers. Let's hurry on and see where this tunnel goes so's we can make tracks back to tha entrance. I've had near enough with seein' death fer one day..." He nudges one of the dead kobolds with his foot and picks up a spade. Looking around, he places his hand on his chin. "Hmm, judgin' by how far we've come I wonder where exactly we are underground?"

Smileybastard
2015-04-06, 02:04 PM
Lyrander

Lyrander follows along keeping his eyes peeled for danger.

Perception [roll0]

Starbin
2015-04-07, 02:07 PM
Velgani stood up from the bodies and the tunnel. Glancing back at the others with a pensive look on his face. Tapping a finger on his chin, he backed away from the cave-in. "This isn't an accident. They wanted to collapse the cave. Look at the way the rubble fell here, and here, and even here. That's not a goof or accident - kobolds know how to tunnel, and trust me when I say they wanted to drop the ceiling right here.

The question is why?"

Walking towards the chest room, he looked over to Kat. "What do those go to?"

Blisstake
2015-04-07, 02:28 PM
As the group tries to piece together what might have happened, Velgani and Kathryne hear noises coming from further in the tunnel. The sounds are high and hissy, quite possibly belonging to more kobolds.

Toxic Mind
2015-04-07, 02:54 PM
If I can remove the swords from their spots in the wall, I do so and equip them. If not, just the Kukri in the hands. We already looted the chests, so the cages coming back isn't really a problem.
"Doors." Kathryne says, a dour look on her face. Then she hears the hissing, and faster than it seemed possible, weapons appear in her hands. "Company."

Smileybastard
2015-04-08, 10:04 AM
Lyrander

Lyrander readies himself to shoot as soon as the enemy is seen.

Blisstake
2015-04-08, 09:33 PM
Sure enough, a few kobolds start to walk into the treasure room to investigate the noises they hear. You hide by the walls, ready to strike as they enter. Two kobolds with only a basic spear in hand are at the front of the line, and behind them is one with green scales and a shortbow, arrows in hand.

w
S
w
w
w
w
w
w
w
w

w
K
w
w
w
w
w
w
w
w

w
K
w
w
w
w
w
w
w
w

w

K
V

w
w

w

w
w

w

J
C

w
w

w

L

w
w

w

g
g
g
g

w
w

w

g
c
c
g

w
w

w
w
w
w
w
w
w
d
w
w

You guys go first. Typically when I use maps, I use undercase letters for map features, and upper case for players and enemies. K are the kobolds, S is their leader.

w are the walls
g is the gate, this clicked back up when you removed the swords
c are the chests inside.
d is the door that lead into the treasure room

moondoggy
2015-04-10, 12:56 PM
Jonnie signals Kathryne and Velgani to prepare to flank the approaching kobolds. He looks to Lyrander and Caiella and simply says, "Cover me." With a thundering shout runs into view and takes a shot at the frontmost kobold.

http://i.imgur.com/R6xyfKC.png
Crossbow shot: [roll]1d20+5
Damage: [roll0]
Halfling badassery: (1d100)[100]

Smileybastard
2015-04-10, 08:46 PM
Lyrander

Lyrander looks quizzically at Jonnie's comment as he fires at rearmost enemy he can.

Attack [roll0] +1 included for point blank
Damage [roll1]

Starbin
2015-04-11, 11:14 PM
Velgani didn't say anything when the kobolds lurked in, wondering if there was a way to trick them into going after the chests and then shutting the cages on them. However, with Jonnie's suprising shout and attack, and Kat's fondness for all things sharp, he realized that plan was no longer viable. Slipping the whip from his belt, he took a step and tried to trip the first kobold in line ... maybe it would block the passage and make things difficult for them.

Revamped the grid. V will move from 4e to 5d, draw the whip and try to trip the lead kobold.
[roll0]
EDIT: I'm guessing that's a fail ... he'll drop the whip to avoid being tripped himself :smallredface:

-
a
b
c
d
e
f
g
h
i
j

w
S
w
w
w
w
w
w
w
w

w
K
w
w
w
w
w
w
w
w

3w
K
w
w
w
w
w
w
w
w

4w

K
V

w
w

5w

w
w

6w

J
C

w
w

7w

L

w
w

8w

g
g
g
g

w
w

9w

g
c
c
g

w
w

10w
w
w
w
w
w
w
d
w
w

Blisstake
2015-04-12, 12:24 AM
Jonnie runs into position, and takes out the first kobold with a well-aimed shot in the reptilian creature's eye. Lyrander follows suit, but aims a bit too high, causing the arrow to fly over the next kobold's head. Velgani moves up to trip the panicked kobold, but he reaches too far, and has to drop his weapon to avoid retaliation.

There is little the kobold in front can do but thrust forward with his spear at the bard. The leader behind him instead aims for Jonnie, launching an arrow from her bow at the halfling.

Kobold attacks Velgani with spear: [roll0], [roll1] damage

S attacks Jonnie with deadly aim. [roll2] to hit, [roll3] damage

~
a
b
c
d
e
f
g
h
i
j

w

w
w
w
w
w
w
w
w

w
S
w
w
w
w
w
w
w
w

w

w
w
w
w
w
w
w
w

w

K

w
w

w

K
V

w
w

w

C

w
w

w

L

w
w

w
J
g
g
g
g

w
w

w

g
c
c
g

w
w

w
w
w
w
w
w
w
d
w
w

Smileybastard
2015-04-12, 06:07 AM
Lyrander

Seeing the devastating shot to Jonnie, Lyrander focuses his fire on his adversary.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Xunthrae
2015-04-12, 02:54 PM
Cai doesn't like how that arrow is sticking out of Jonnie, so she calls upon her powers and manipulates the fabric of space around him to pull him through a wormhole to safety. "I got ya, little buddy."

She'll use Heaven's Leap (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/shaman/spirits/heavens) and bring Jonnie to F5. (Moondoggy, if u want to be somewhere else, lemme know.)

moondoggy
2015-04-14, 02:27 PM
Prior to Caiella's fortuitous escape portaling, Jonnie takes a revenge shot at the bow-toting kobold.
Crossbow attack: [roll0] (+fav. enemy, +PBS, - Deadly Aim)
Damage: [roll1] (+FE, +DA)

Also, I'd rather end the warp at G9 to take some cover behind the bars.

Leaning against the heavy iron bars, Jonnie does what he can to try and stop the flow of blood from the arrow lodged in his chest. "Eheh, that scaleback feathered me good." he rasps, his expression somewhere between a rueful grin and a grimace.

Toxic Mind
2015-04-14, 02:33 PM
Kathryne takes a short step to the side of the kobold, the swords flashing as both cleave through the air in a whirlwind of death, slicing high and low at the scout.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
Full Round Attack - Two Weapons
5 foot step

Starbin
2015-04-14, 04:42 PM
Seeing Jonnie take an arrow to the chest, then disappear, Velgani knew he could probably help ... he just needed to get there. If the kobold remained alive in front of him, he would roll away in an effort to get to the Halfling, then heal the wounded scout. If, however, the kobold fell before Kat, he would simply move over and tend to Jonnie's wounds.

First, using one of my luck boosts [roll0] to G8, then CLW on J. [roll1]. Of course, if all the bad guys are dead, V can walk over and do it!

Blisstake
2015-04-14, 05:07 PM
Lyrander's shots continue to go wide, but Jonnie manages to sneak in a parting shot against the kobold before he is transported away. Kathryne slices up the kobold by her and Velgani, allowing the latter to move over to Jonnie's location and recover some of the damage.

The kobold archer swears in Draconic when Jonnie is no longer in sight, and she instead take a few steps further in, aiming her next arrow at Kathryne

The kobold's movement provokes an attack from Kat

Attack roll against Kat (+2 more to hit and damage from the last roll due to favored enemy)
[roll0]

~
a
b
c
d
e
f
g
h
i
j

w

w
w
w
w
w
w
w
w

w

w
w
w
w
w
w
w
w

w

w
w
w
w
w
w
w
w

w

K

w
w

w

w
w

w
S

C

w
w

w

L

w
w

w

g
g
g
g
V

w
w

w

g
c
c
g
J

w
w

w
w
w
w
w
w
w
d
w
w

Smileybastard
2015-04-14, 08:15 PM
Lyrander

Lyrander grows frustrated with his inability to hit the kobald, but does not let that slow him down.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Toxic Mind
2015-04-14, 08:19 PM
Kathryne strikes a blow as the kobold leader runs by, then stares with a shocked expression as an arrow seems to sprout from her chest. She coughs once, a red spray, then falls to the floor and does not move.

Starbin
2015-04-17, 08:39 AM
Velgani shook his head after trying to heal Jonnie a modicum. "Do me a favor, lad, and take that little bastich out, will you?" With a smile, he moved quickly across the room to Kat. Reaching out, he touched her shoulder and gave her a rush of energy. "Come my dear ... it is much to early to retire for the evening. There are still dance partners!"

Move to 4D, cast last cure light wounds on Kat. [roll0]

Blisstake
2015-04-17, 11:15 AM
Kathryne manages a wicked slice against the kobold archer, but not before she is knocked out by a well-aimed arrow. Lyrander and Jonnie both miss their shots as they try to take down the scaly menace, who focuses her next shot on the elven archer.

S attacks Lyrander

[roll0]

~
a
b
c
d
e
f
g
h
i
j

w

w
w
w
w
w
w
w
w

w

w
w
w
w
w
w
w
w

w

w
w
w
w
w
w
w
w

w

K
V

w
w

w

w
w

w
S

C

w
w

w

L

w
w

w

g
g
g
g

w
w

w

g
c
c
g
J

w
w

w
w
w
w
w
w
w
d
w
w

Smileybastard
2015-04-17, 09:24 PM
Lyrander

Lyrander avoids being hit and returns fire.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Xunthrae
2015-04-19, 10:46 PM
Caiella cries out in anger and conjures her stardust on the kobold before drawing her mace.

Starbin
2015-04-20, 01:53 PM
(OOC - So if Kat was at -1, she should be up to 6 now ... and everyone can go, right?)

Velgani drew his longsword and moved to close with the little draconic bastich that was doing a number on the group. He spoke in the beast's language, ""Tsk, tsk ... language, little scaled one! It doth seem to mine eyes that your efforts are lost, and your time on this mortal coil are fleeting ... especially should that one rise and seek retribution for thine arrow! Why not share thy purpose for being here, and what gains you sought, and mayhap I can spare thy life ...""

With a smile, he waited patiently, hoping the kobold would take him up on the offer ... but knowing that was not very likely.

Draw longsword, move to 6c

Toxic Mind
2015-04-20, 01:57 PM
Kathryne hears the offer made, but she would not wait for the obvious denial. She lay compeletely still until just the right moment, leaping up in a burst of speed and pouncing on the kobold, stabbing downward with her sword, the left still too injured to be of immediate use.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Blisstake
2015-04-20, 03:34 PM
Lyrander finally makes a shot, hitting the kobold in the chest. When Velgani suggests surrender, the frantic scaled archer looks at the bard in disbelief. She responds in common in a yappy voice,

"I... I guess I could..."

She isn't able to form a complete sentence, as Kathryne jumps to her feet, and slices through the kobold in a swift motion. There is now silence as the 3 kobolds start to bleed out.

All of them are unconscious but not dead yet.

Starbin
2015-04-20, 03:39 PM
Velgani sighed as he sheathed his sword and grabbed his whip. Leaning over the archer, he shook his head, smirking at Kat. "Good thing I didn't promise, eh?" Then he tried to staunch the archer's wounds, hoping to get someone to interrogate about what was going on.

[roll0] ... let's see if we can do it!

EDIT: ... and nope ...

Toxic Mind
2015-04-20, 04:12 PM
"Pick your favorite, bard. You can keep it. The other two are mine." Kathryne says, her voice colder than winter steel. The unsheathed weapons make the fate of those unfortunates clear.

Starbin
2015-04-20, 04:29 PM
(OOC - Bard? When has V acted like a bard? :smallsmile:)

Velgani shrugged his shpulders with resignation, trying to save at least one of the poor souls. "Very well, but I do not think there is a rush ... they do not appear to be headed any where soon ..."

Okay, two more - [roll0], [roll1]

Smileybastard
2015-04-20, 04:41 PM
Lyrander

Lyrander ignores the arguments the others make over the lives of these creatures. He keeps watching for more danger as he retrieves the arrows he can.

Perception [roll0]

Blisstake
2015-04-20, 06:07 PM
Velgani manages to stabilize the kobold's leader, while Lyrander keeps his eye on the tunnel in case anything else comes his way. Nothing else appears.

You guys can wait to interrogate the kobold, see how far the tunnel goes, or return to town (possibly with the kobold as a prisoner).

Starbin
2015-04-23, 09:13 AM
Velgani smiled to himself as he saved the one kobold, turning to let the others know. As he turned, he noticed Kat rising from the last kobold, wiping her blades clean after having dealt with them. Inwardly sighing, he stood and said, "Well, it seems we have one survivor we can interrogate once he's awake. However, for now, I would suggest we restrain him for a bit and continue to check the tunnel ahead. Perhaps we could place him behind the cages ..."

I figure we can put him in the cages - since I didn't get the impression the bars were so wide kobolds could slip through, and we already looted everything according to Kat/Toxic Mind. As such, I guess Vel would hold onto the rapier, book of poetry and opals (if someone else didn't take 'em). I figured Kat would gather all the gold at least.

Toxic Mind
2015-04-23, 10:27 AM
Kat presses the swords into the wall once more to release the cage so that the kobold could be placed inside, then removing them once more, trapping the kobold.

She holds out one of the swords to Jonnie without any words, offering him the blade, and sheathes the other one across her back. Very quickly Kat was becoming a walking arsenal. It was a good feeling to be once again so heavily armed. Velgani takes the gems and amulet, and Kat places the gold in a seperate pouch to keep it safe and unmixed.

"If your friend does not give us what we need to know, tell it that its fate will be far worse. I will not be as merciful as I was to the others." It was in this instant that some of the group might realize that Kathryne was not casting a shadow.

moondoggy
2015-04-23, 03:29 PM
Jonnie struggles to his feet, looking through the bars at the imprisoned kobold. With a wince he pulls the arrow out of his chest, the bleeding now an infrequent drop or two thanks to Velgani's healing magic. Upon hearing Kathryne's ominous threat, his stomach sinks a little. He'd forgotten how ruthless she was sometimes. Approaching the cage, he wraps his hands around the bars and looks the scared little lizard over squarely, feeling a little twinge of sympathy despite the arrow he took earlier.

"Look, miss kobold, if'n ya tell us what yer doin' down here, why you and yours collapsed the tower, I'm willin' ta let ya go freely." He takes a long look in the direction of her two companions, their blood still fresh on the ground, and places a hand over the hole in his chest. "There's been more than enough blood shed in this cave already."

Blisstake
2015-04-23, 03:50 PM
You take all the kobold's belongings, before trapping the kobold archer in the treasury room, behind the bars. Sadly, kobolds aren't known for being wealthy, and only their leader had any gear of value.

25g
Masterwork shortbow (technically a small sized longbow)
Masterwork studded leather (small sized)
3 potions of cure moderate wounds (CL 3)
Miscellaneous small sized equipment. In poor quality and not really worth anything

The tunnels extend out for nearly half a mile, before finally opening up outside. The tunnels seem to have been dug in an abandoned quarry a bit outside of Belhaim. Nothing obvious catches your eye in this region.

If you're trained in Survival or Knowledge Nature/Geography, go ahead and make a check.

Back in the treasure room, the kobold archer comes to her senses. Jonnie asks for some information, and seeing the corpses of her former companions, the kobold is quick to answer.

"I... I don't know why! Roaghaz made us go down, and put those symbols on our hand. Told us to dig in here, get into structural weak points, and cause a collapse. Um... uh, he also wanted that wizard dead." She points a claw at the corpse of the man buried under rubble. "I don't know why, though! Just told me to do it!"

Smileybastard
2015-04-23, 07:50 PM
Lyrander

Lyrander checks around the ground for tracks and such.

Survival [roll0]

Starbin
2015-04-24, 07:38 AM
Since the kobold was being so helpful, Velgani squatted down to his level to chat, speaking in a soothing tone. "There, there, parum draco*. I completely understand ... you were only following orders. Orders from Roaghaz, right? Orders to collapse this area; that's not such a crime, is it? But you did have orders to kill the wizard ... and you could have hurt more people upstairs. Hmmm, that seems serious. I wish you knew more about this wizard, something you could tell me about him and why Roaghaz wanted him dead ... so I could tell the people upstairs that you were wrong, but not that wrong. Because you were only following orders, right? Now, maybe if we could talk to this Roaghaz, that would help. Why don't you tell us about him. What's he like? Where does he summer? Is he close? Does he like mutton or veal? Big, medium or indifferent? How long have you worked with him? Hmmm? Go on, there's a helpful fellow ..."

When he speaks, Velgani uses a friendly tone, soft spoken and encouraging, like one would talk to a victim after a crime. The questions aren't quite rapid fire ... they are asked in slow progression, just enough to keep the kobold talking and keep him a little off-balance.

Not sure what you need here, but I'm guessing a roll might be in order. If the kobold is indifferent, I could probably take 10 (17) and influence him to friendly ... if he's unfriendly (maybe not hostile anymore), it would require a roll. Here's one to influence (if necessary) and one to get some details (again, if necessary).

[roll0], [roll1]

EDIT: Wow. I suck.

*Little Dragon

Blisstake
2015-04-24, 03:24 PM
For future reference, I don't use the diplomacy rules exactly as written. Basically I find the disposition categories a bit silly, and passing a certain threshold doesn't automatically make someone friendly.

The kobold whimpers a bit, and she answers in a shaky voice, "I don't know anything about the wizard! We were just told to start the collapse when he was standing in the spot. Roaghaz is the leader of the Blood Vow tribe. He knows magic because he's part-dragon. A lot of us don't like him, but if we talk back he throws us in the acid pools!"

Toxic Mind
2015-04-24, 04:15 PM
Kathryne leans up against the bars. She slowly draws one of her Kukri and a whetstone, sharpening the blade while quietly whistling to herself. She finishes quickly with the first, the blades already close to impeccably sharp, and moves on to the next Kukri, and her other weapons, including the sword that not so long ago was hilt deep in another of the kobolds. She could have done this anywhere, but it is clear that the intent of her action is to incite a reverence in the kobold, impressing upon it the severity of the situation. "Roaghaz. How many guards when he sleeps? Why kill the wizard in that spot? Why not just stab him and be done with it?" Her voice has a cold nonchalance, more to do with her lack of caring for the kobold, than her lack of care for answers.

[roll0]
If the kobold does not speak common, Kathryne will gesture for V to translate.

moondoggy
2015-04-24, 04:21 PM
Jonnie frowns at Kathryne. This kobold has been through enough... he thinks bitterly.

"Why keep on following if yer threatened with death? Why not just take yer family and leave? I mean-" Wait... what did she just say? "You said this Roaghaz is half-dragon? Does that mean there's a dragon round these parts?"

Blisstake
2015-04-26, 12:19 AM
"N-no, no dragon. Roaghaz says he has dragon blood, though. That's why he leads the Blood Vow tribe. He has magic... we can't leave, we'd all be cursed!"

She twitches nervously at Kathryne after being asked about the leader's guards. "He doesn't need guards. No one who tried to fight him lived. And... and we killed the wizard this way so we could get him by surprise. Roaghaz says he would fry us alive if we tried to fight him directly."

Starbin
2015-04-26, 11:17 AM
Sighing again, Velgani smiled and stood. "Well, all we need to know is where your tribe lives. We might want to have a discussion with your not-so-friendly Roaghz ... and maybe we can do you a favor in doing so. Wouldn't life be so much better without a mean and callous leader? And as you can see, we have plenty of people eager to discuss this with him, along with their assorted pointy things. So maybe a map, or detailed description, yes? And numbers ... we wouldn't want to be surprised and accidentally hurt any of your kin we didn't need to ..."

With sympathy evident in his face, he waited for an answer before finally stepping back and waving to the others to join him. He whispered, "I suggest we return to the town, turn this creature over as proof of what happened, and gather our reward ... and perhaps a bit of healing. We may even earn another opportunity to assist this poor villagers from an extended plot ... for a price of course." The last was said with a wry grin to Kat.

Copy on Dip ... I'll roll if you ask. Otherwise, I'll just RP it. I'm ready to go back and move forward with the story.

Toxic Mind
2015-04-26, 11:33 AM
"Of course." Kathryne says matter of factly. "Your lucky day. You get a nice comfy home safe from all the scary things that might try to get you." Kathryne says to the kobold, implying that one of the scary things would be her if there was any talk of escape.

Blisstake
2015-04-26, 01:11 PM
The kobolds makes a crude map of her tribe's cave system, and hands it back to Velgani. We live in rock mine (I think humans call it a... quarine or something?) about a mile away from the human town. We've been living there for a few years. The tribe has about 30 kobolds I think. Oh! And some slurks. Roaghaz is tribe leader, and we have a priest Churgri. She serves a devil that gives us skeletons to defend the cave."

http://i.imgur.com/nxLTrej.jpg

Most of the rooms don't have any particular purpose, they were just dug out that way. Areas of note: B8, B11, and B14 are where they breed creatures. B17 is a shrine to Vapula, a devil lord. B18 is where they keep their eggs and their young. B20 is where Roaghaz lives. The kobold explains all traps marked on the map, so you'll know what to look out for.

With the Witch Tower fully explored, and more information regarding its collapse, you are able to return to the Baroness' manor for your reward. You get a few strange looks as you enter the town with a kobold in tow, but no one seems to have the courage to say anything about it.

In the manor, Lady Origena Devy looks at you curiously. "I see that you have returned. Does your new "friend" here have anything to do with the tower collapse?"

moondoggy
2015-04-26, 03:11 PM
Jonnie clears his throat and steps up to the baroness to speak. "Greetin's, miss Baroness Devy, ma'am," he starts, removing his hat and giving her a little bow of courtesy. "It's seemin' like there's a tribe o' kobolds dwellin' out by that ol' quarry who're led by fear of death by some half-dragon wizard called Roaghaz. This'un, she may be partly responsible fer the collapse o' that tower, but there was another down there who weren't a kobold, but a human. Some wizard who they had business with, maybe, for their leader wanted him done in personal." He pauses for a moment and takes a deep breath before continuing.

"Ma'am, seein' as how she was right forthcomin' with all this information, and even made us up a map of their den, I'd like to ask if..." he pauses and motions for the kobold to come forward. Quietly he says, "I'm sorry, I never got yer name."

"Sesserak," the kobold says, studying the floor.

"I'd like to seek Asylum for miss Sesserak, here, on account o' her bein' cooperative with our investigation and for protection if'n this Roaghaz sends muscle to dispatch our little friend. I'd even pay for it outta my own pocket if necessary, miss Baroness, ma'am."

Starbin
2015-04-29, 09:52 AM
Velgani listened carefully as the kobold spoke, taking a few notes down on the map she drew. He smiled his thanks, then helped tie her little hands together and led her back up to the surface. At the looks of the public, he simply waved and smiled, calling out, "Fear not, good people of Belheim - tis a simple kobold coming with us willingly. Sure, she is descended from dragons and may possess sorcerous magiks, but it is not as if she will exhale fire or anything ...". Then with a grin, he leaned down to where she was and whispered a word and gestured, creating a small cloud of orange-reddish sparkles that flew out with a faint popping sound.

(OOC - Just using Prestidigitation as a prank)

_/ _/ _/ _/ _/

Once they were in front of the Baroness, he would have spoken, but Jonnie stepped up quickly to share what they had learned and then ask for clemency for the kobold. He considered for a moment, the piped up to add, "Lady Devy, pardon my impudence, but perhaps this might be the first step in establishing a peaceful relationship with a group of often misunderstood beings, and potentially bringing them into the light. Just think, milady, you could be making history here AND preserving the legacy of Belheim. We would love to act as both your emissaries, as well as enforcers to deal with this foul Roaghaz. Perhaps you would find it within your heart to provide a suitable reward for my heroic companions upon our return ..."

Sorry for the delay. Ready to collect that 500gp and see about some healing up at the local temple (perhaps at a discount, per the Baroness' offer?).

Toxic Mind
2015-04-29, 11:05 AM
Kathryne merely listens as Velgani spins his tale and Jonnie asks for mercy. At this point, her job is finished, and while she would be just as happy killing the kobold, it was no longer a matter of getting paid, and therefore she was equally happy with it living, provided it was not capable of harming her further. Kathryne stands, her mouth and nose covered and her hood up. No sense in being easily recognized by one of the elite of the town, and one most likely to turn her over to the guards. She veritably bristles with weapons, though most are obscured under her cloak as well, the less to draw attention. She smiles briefly at the mention of compensation for dealing with the kobold mage. So he can be taught she thinks wryly to herself.

Blisstake
2015-04-29, 03:37 PM
"I see," Baroness Devy starts as Jonnie and Velgani explain the situation. "The wizard must be Hunclay. He moved to Belhaim around 2 years ago, but mostly sequestered himself in his manor. We did know about the existence of a kobold tribe around the town, but we were content to allow them to keep to themselves. If they are indeed responsible for damages caused to the Witch Tower and the death of one of our citizens, then they cannot go unignored for any longer. Arnholde, dear, could you please give these adventurers their due compensation?"

Belhaim's leader motions to a young man at her side, who then procures a small sack of platinum coins. "In any case, you've more than earned your reward, but I can give you triple this much if you are able to ensure the kobold tribe is no longer a threat. I am somewhat concerned about why Hunclay was down there with them, however..."

Arnholde, speaks up, "Mother, didn't he frequently complain about the Witch Tower blocking his view of the stars at night? He may have contracted these kobolds to deal with the problem for him."

Lady Devy nods, "Yes, that's right. I suppose he only has himself to blame for what happened then." She looks back over her group, giving a long stare to Sesserak. "I'll consider granting the kobold clemency, but not until the tribe is dealt with. She will be placed in one of our cells in the meantime. If you need any healing, visit the temple of Abadar; Euphenia will provide healing services for free if you let her know I sent you. And thank you again for your assistance."

500g (100 each) from the Baroness.
You're now level 2!

You've got some time to hang out in Belhaim before heading out, including getting a good night's rest. If you'd like to meet any of the locals or RP with each other, then now is as good a time as any. If you want any gear (or want to sell any), here are the stores in Belhaim that you can go to:

House of Abadar: Temple to Abadar. The priestess will heal you free of charge. May also have some potions/scrolls for purchase.

Shrine of Seven Roses: A temple to Shelyn. In sort of a rivalry with the Abadar temple.

Xemne's Tonics: Most sells herbs and natural remedies, but also has a few magical potions for sale.

Sensina Hides: Has some leather armor available.

Baccus Smithy: Owned by a family of half-orcs, they specialize in weaponsmithing.

Chance Smithy: Owned by Belhaim's most skilled armorsmith, though he has a reputation for being difficult to get along with.

Delbin's Devices: A tinkerer lives here that occasionally creates wondrous items. Some of the items for sale are from her adventuring years.

There are other, more mundane shops available as well. If there's anything in particular your character would like to look around for, let me know.

Starbin
2015-05-01, 02:55 PM
Velgani bowed low, smiling widely to the baroness. "Milady, you are as wise as you are fair and beautiful - let none speak ill of you within my earshot! We shall most assuredly assist you in this, and will return swiftly once our task is complete. Rest assured we shall see to it that those responsible pay for their crimes and the innocent are freed.

Good day and good health. By your leave, ma'am ...". With another flourish, Velgani departed, letting the others say their farewells as they desired, before gathering outside. Once they had a moment, he smiled. "Well done heroes - careful, or you'll have to make a career out of this! Shall we adjourn to the temple for a spot of healing, then separate to take care of the various spoils? I would like to see what these pretty stones are worth, and then we can meet for dinner, perhaps?"

Velgani will get accompany the others to get healing, then he'll check on the opals, the cost of fixing the rapier, and maybe what's for sale at Delbins. Other than that, anything else?

Toxic Mind
2015-05-01, 03:03 PM
They weren't in the wilds anymore, Kathryne was back to her old stoic self. She nodded once for her assent, then headed in the direction of the temple.

Blisstake
2015-05-01, 06:21 PM
The interior of Belhaim's House of Abadar is surprisingly austere for a place of worship of the god of commerce. A few display cases show goods available for purchase, including a slick crossbow, and a tablet at the front of the temple shows the usual costs for any healing treatments the church can offer.

The head priestess of this church is in her middle-ages, and wears silk robes with a gold trim. "Welcome to the House of Abadar, I am priestess Euphemia. How might I provide assistance?"

Delbin's Devices on the other hand, is an absolute mess, with clutters of gadgets, papers, and even some food stacked in unstable piles around the cramped workspace. The proprietress, Delbin, barely registers when anyone enters the store. "Oh, ah, customer? Hey! Don't see too many adventuring types around here. Let me know if you find anything interesting that you're willing to part with. I've got some coin to spend, or I can trade you some of my old adventuring tools." The woman motions toward a pile with a faintly glowing sword, ring, and buckler.

When asked where to go for his broken sword, Velgani is directed to the Baccus Smithy, run by a family or orcish weaponsmiths. The owner of the smithy is "Big Bull" Baccus, a muscular, but pot-bellied half-orc with an easy smile and a broken tusk. "Hello there, welcome to our little smithy. We got the finest blades you'll see outside of Cassomir or Oppara."

You show him the rusty blade that you found in the Witch Tower, and Big Bull gives it a lengthy examination. "Looks like a fine blade. Give me a day or two and I can get it in working condition, for 300 gold.

If you want to sell the opals, let me know who you're offering them to. Different townsfolk will be willing to pay different amounts for certain types of goods.

Smileybastard
2015-05-01, 07:43 PM
Lyrander

Lyrander bows to the Baroness and says, "We will deal with the kobolds."

Starbin
2015-05-02, 08:19 AM
The interior of Belhaim's House of Abadar is surprisingly austere for a place of worship of the god of commerce. A few display cases show goods available for purchase, including a slick crossbow, and a tablet at the front of the temple shows the usual costs for any healing treatments the church can offer.

The head priestess of this church is in her middle-ages, and wears silk robes with a gold trim. "Welcome to the House of Abadar, I am priestess Euphemia. How might I provide assistance?"

Velgano bowed low with a gentle smile. "My lady, we were sent by the Baroness to seek you deft and gentle ministrations for work done in her service. My companions have some injuries we hoped you or your fine staff could attend ..."

Once the group received healing, Velgani would also ask about any interest in purchasing some fine opals, perhaps for a spell component.

Delbin's Devices on the other hand, is an absolute mess, with clutters of gadgets, papers, and even some food stacked in unstable piles around the cramped workspace. The proprietress, Delbin, barely registers when anyone enters the store. "Oh, ah, customer? Hey! Don't see too many adventuring types around here. Let me know if you find anything interesting that you're willing to part with. I've got some coin to spend, or I can trade you some of my old adventuring tools." The woman motions toward a pile with a faintly glowing sword, ring, and buckler.

Velgani grinned and waved. "Velgani Visconti, wanders and yarn-spinner at your service. I am always interested in tools of the trade that might be of use ... what items do you have? And might you know of anyone interested in a fine set of opals?"

When asked where to go for his broken sword, Velgani is directed to the Baccus Smithy, run by a family or orcish weaponsmiths. The owner of the smithy is "Big Bull" Baccus, a muscular, but pot-bellied half-orc with an easy smile and a broken tusk. "Hello there, welcome to our little smithy. We got the finest blades you'll see outside of Cassomir or Oppara."

You show him the rusty blade that you found in the Witch Tower, and Big Bull gives it a lengthy examination. "Looks like a fine blade. Give me a day or two and I can get it in working condition, for 300 gold.

Velgani rubbed his chin, thinking carefully. "You offer a far price, my friend ... I shall certainly tell the Lady Devy you have been solid! Having just come back from a mission for her, she seems very interested in the status and well-being of the town and her people. Well done. May I leave a retainer?

Just trying to advance V's side trips. If there are typos and such, I blame posting fromy phone!

Farmerbink
2015-05-03, 03:20 PM
Artaith groans, blinking away the stars as she sits up much too quickly. She squints against the brightness of mid afternoon sunlight streaming through the windows and takes in her surroundings. Her eyebrows furrow, as she fails to recognize the interior of the church.

"Ge-back, ya grimy beast!" she yelled at the kobolds swarming her mentor's wagon. As she felled one with her hammer, two more stepped forward into its space. "Damn it all, Frederick, get those 'orses movin'!" Unable to spare the time to look forward, she couldn't see the three kobolds pinning in the horses. As she deftly crushed the skulls of the two nearest her, her mentor calls out, "Girl, if you don't want to die here, get off the damned wagon! Let 'em have it!"

She looks away just in time to see the wily man's plan. He's severed the ropes and disengaged the wagon's tongue. With a few steps and a great leap, Artaith clears the space between the wagon and the horse yoke. As the more experienced dwarf sits easily astride one mount, she scrambles atop the other, perched precariously. He strikes the first horse's flank, and the bindings between them drag Artaith's along, also. As they leave the wagon behind, the old dwarf spits in the dust. Meanwhile, two small arrows sprout from Artaith's shoulder, and the nicks and cuts from their swords take their toll. Two thuds, brown fur. Blackness.

She starts, and takes in her surroundings. She's clearly in some sort of medical... ward? A few cots with others, some worse off than she, dot the room. She reaches over her shoulder to find two small knots where the arrows must have pierced her flesh. "Huh. I ain' dead. I s'pose that's welcome news..." Shrugging, she looks around the room, finding her breastplate and other gear stuffed unceremoniously under the cot she had just risen from. Grunting, she retrieves the equipment, and carefully dons it all, almost lovingly. "'Ere we are. Much better." As the familiar weight of her breastplate settles into place, she takes stock again. "Foeheart, Stonehew, and of course the young'ns." As she lists her weapons, she returns each to their own sheathes, gently placing and securing them each within their bindings. She tilts her head from side to side, eliciting loud cracks as the joints are pressed beyond their comfortable range of movement.

"Now, where in the nine pits am I?" She steps out the door, into what can only be the inside of a church. She looks for someone wearing the vestments of a priest, and approaches the first woman he sees. "Oy! Not meanin' disrespect, ma'am, but where am I, and is there some ugly ol' sot 'o came in with me? 'Is name's Frederick. Not sure the details, but there was 'orses... an' I felt a lot worse."

Blisstake
2015-05-03, 09:10 PM
Euphemia examines the opals with a delicate touch, scanning them for any imperfections. "There are no spells in particular that I need them for, but they still hold value. 250 gold for the lot of them; does that sound fair?"

The bargaining is interrupted by the stirrings of Arthaith in the nearby infirmary. The priestess answers the dwarf's questions in a business-like manner. "This is the House of Abadar. Yes, you were accompanied in here by another dwarf, Frederick. He negotiated a fair rate for your treatment, so you have no outstanding balance. I'm not certain where he is at the moment, but you may wish to try the stables."

The woman turns back to Velgani with a thoughtful look on her face. "This woman was beset upon by kobolds on the Old Belhaim Trail. Perhaps they are connected to the ones that were found by the tower?"

Euphemia herself doesn't know that the kobolds were responsible for the collapse, she only knows that they were found near the collapsed tower.

Starbin
2015-05-04, 12:10 PM
Velgani considered the woman's offer, nodding his head. "Let me think on your offer, good lady, and I will return post haste to let you know. Until then ..." he paused as a gruff dwarven woman interrupted them, practically demanding answers about the whereabouts of someone named Frederick. He glanced at Kat with a grin, wondering if he had found the woman's real twin sister, and waited patiently for the situation to resolve. However, when the priestess mentioned kobolds, he raised an eyebrow and turned his full attention to the dwarf.

"Kobolds, indeed! Perhaps the Lady Euphemia is correct, and your recent encounter was with a group of creatures connected with recent events. I ... well, where are my manners. I am Velgani Visconti, visionary and voyager, and these are my companions - Kathyrine the Quiet, Jonnie the Genuine, and Lyrander the Laconic ... although my alliteration may not be entirely accurate. Suffice to say we're a solid bunch and on commission from the Baroness to look into troubles centering around kobolds and a recently collapsed tower. Might I ask when you were beset upon by these tiny terrors?"

Okay, we'll press with this. V will still go to the other places, and will try to get a better price for the opals. Since we're readjusting our totals, he can afford to pay for the rapier outright now.

PS - Welcome aboard Farmerbink!

Farmerbink
2015-05-04, 12:36 PM
"Kobolds, indeed! Perhaps the Lady Euphemia is correct, and your recent encounter was with a group of creatures connected with recent events. I ... -snip-

The dwarf turns to Velgani, with a dazed expression. "Johnnie the... gen... i'n tha' ah... ah 'g?'...

After several moments, she rubs her forehead absently and shakes her head for a moment. "ne'rmind all 'at, uhhh." She turns back to the priestess. "Er... 'Ow long 'ave I been 'ere?" With an answer, she turns back to the verbose Varisian. "'Bout that long 'go, best I figure. Wot's 'at got to do wit anythin'?"

Starbin
2015-05-04, 12:44 PM
Velgani smiled gently, realizing he had overwhelmed the dwarf. No worries, he could speak 'slow' ... "I'm sorry ... I have a tendency to speak quickly and at great length ... We are hunting the kobolds. Telling us when they were there might us know if they are the same ones we seek. We must deal with their leader - probably harshly."

Farmerbink
2015-05-04, 12:55 PM
...probably harshly."
The dwarf's eyes narrow, and she gives Velgani a long, appraising look- head to toe with no semblance of shame.

She raises and eyebrow and meets the man's eyes. Extending an impressively thick hand, her face displays an impressive mix of excitement and focus. "I think you 'n I might get along jes' fine, mister. Er. That is, I'm Artaith -I s'pose I aught' fin' 'n mention all 'is ta Fred'rick. Ah bet 'e'll let me go, for a bit, at least... Oh, right. Who 're you? Ah've more'n 'alf a mind ta give them kobolds a few turns a what for, if ya catch my meanin'."

Starbin
2015-05-04, 12:59 PM
Velgani shook her hand and raised an eyebrow at the question. "Who am I? As in my name again? Or something more? I am Velgani. The serious-looking girl is Kathyrine ... but her sister seems to have wandered off. The stout fellow over there is Jonnie. And the quiet one back there is Lyrander."

Farmerbink
2015-05-04, 01:03 PM
The dwarf nods slowly. "Oh, 'at's right..." With a sheepish grin, she shakes his hand in a firm grip. "You already sed 'at."

Starbin
2015-05-04, 01:14 PM
Velgani smiled to the dwarven woman. "No worries. We have a number of errands to run ... perhaps after you have coordinated with this Frederick, we can meet for dinner at the Wise Piper. Until then, good day to you miss." Turning back to the priestess, he nods, "Milady, thank you for your time. I will leave my friends to your gentle ministrations."

Moving on to the others stuff now ... getting the rapier repaired, seeing what items are available to buy at Delbins, and see what her price is for the opals. Oh, Velgani also will look to buy some 'adventurers tools' (i.e., thieves tools).

Toxic Mind
2015-05-04, 02:17 PM
The dwarf's confusion elicits a smirk from Kathryne, though the expression is hidden beneath hood and cowl. She quickly wanders off, and just as quickly realizes that this town is far too small to have any formalized systems for contracts. She is out of luck on one job, for now.

She returns to the adventuring woman, alone. "Tell me of your adventuring gear." She says softly to Delbin. "What does it do?"

Blisstake
2015-05-04, 03:09 PM
At Delbin's

"Opals, huh?" Delbin asks, putting aside a diagram she is working on to look them over. "Don't really got the need for 'em myself, but maybe I could show you to someone who does. You know, if you make a purchase." The former-adventurer smiles coyly, then turns to Kathryne. "Well I sell all kinds of basic gear that any adventurer needs. Got your standard collapsible 10 foot poles in that corner, lockpicks over there, and grappling hooks over by the food."

She walks over her merchandise while talking, then fondly stops by a small corner where her old gear sits. The sword is White Fang. Magic, imbued with ice. Doesn't leave my house for less than 7,000g. The shield and ring both have protective magic as well; no names though, far as I can tell at least."

At the stable

Artaith can hear Frederick swearing before she sees him. "Bad enough that the kobolds made out with most of the supplies, but they had to cripple the horses, too." He shakes his head then turns to Artaith. "Glad you're finally up. Not that it matters much anymore; my horse took a nasty arrow to the hindquarters. Won't die, but its not going anywhere for some time; that's for damn sure. What a right pain in the arse."

Starbin
2015-05-04, 03:56 PM
(OOC - Since TM said Kat would go to Del's by herself, I'll treat it like we're there at different times.)

Velgani looked around with some amount of interest. "That is a fine offer, but what if these opals represented my purchasing power? We are in a bit of a stalemate if you need me to purchase something before you tell me about your buyer, and I need your buyer in order to purchase something, no?

How about this ... I am willing to spend 5% of the total take here upon successful sale of the opals. Of course, I already have a potential buyer or two, so you need to beat the current price. Hell, if it turns out to be one of the same people I'm dealing with, I'm still willing to spend the money here if you can get more than originally offered.

What do you say?"

Toxic Mind
2015-05-04, 05:03 PM
At Delbin's

"It is a beautiful blade." Kathryne says, looking over it. There is no emotion in her voice, but a tinge of longing in her eyes. "But it is beyond my ability to purchase. Perhaps a trade? In my home city, I made problems disappear for people. Do you have any issues that might qualify for that unique expertise?"

Farmerbink
2015-05-04, 06:08 PM
..."What a right pain in the arse."

Artaith looks at the horse with an odd mixture of pity and apathy. "Least it'snot your arse... So we ain' leavin' for a bit? Ah foun' some talkative bloke, wants to go deal wit' the kobold leader- says somethin' harsh-like. Supposin' we ain' got nuthin' else ta do, wot you say I go wit' 'em? I got a hankerin' ta teach them rat bastards what for, when they ain' got us wit' our pants down- if you'll pardon the 'xpresshun." She looks at the old gnarled veteran questioningly as he takes his time answering her question, as he always does. Patiently, she gives him her full attention until his thoughts finally come to a decision.

moondoggy
2015-05-04, 06:48 PM
When the chatter finally dies down, Jonnie gets patched up and decides to hang around after Kathryne and Velgani leave. "Been awhile since I last was seein' eye ta eye with someone, miss... Artaith, was it?" he asks with a wry smile. "Been even longer since I seen one o' your folk as well. Last dwarf I saw... I think his name was Kolster. Worked on tha farm fer a summer or two some years back. Quiet as a stone, and strong as ta boot." Interested though he is in the new potential company, Jonnie can't help himself from eyeing the stellar crossbow under the glass. "Man, that nifty shotbow sure puts my old one ta shame..."

Blisstake
2015-05-05, 01:06 PM
Delbin is caught a bit off-guard by Velgani's counter offer. "All right, all right. Don't let anyone know I told you, but the Baroness' son Arnholde has a penchant for pretty things like those opals. You could probably also sell them at Tymek's general store or to an Abadarian priest, but I bet they'd just undercut you then sell it to Arnholde anyway."

Just to save some time, let's say Arnholde will purchase them for 400gp

In response to Kathryne's offer, Delbin takes a moment to consider what task would be worth 7,000 of her gold pieces. "Can't think of anything right now, but if I do, I'll let you know. There are some items I'd like that I don't have the, ah, legal means to acquire, but nothing right now worth giving up White Fang."

Frederick folds his arms across his chest, mulling the idea around in his head. After a while, he responds, "Hm, all right, just be careful in there. I don't have the coin to get you patched up again, so don't come back in separate pieces. If those are the same kobolds, keep an eye out for the wagon goods. Might be able to recoup some of the losses."

Starbin
2015-05-05, 02:02 PM
Velgani thought for a moment, then smiled and nodded. "Sounds like an excellent bargain. Let's call it a deal. My first purchase would be any of your fine lockpicks - how much for those?" He figured with the money in hand he might as well make a purchase and meet his promise ... and 20gp was probably less than he planned on spending anyway.

Farmerbink
2015-05-05, 02:06 PM
"Hm, all right, just be careful in there... keep an eye out for the wagon goods. Might be able to recoup some of the losses."
Artaith nods, mumbling something largely incoherent about "limbs." She turns from the man and wanders back to the temple, looking for Velgani. Instead, Jonnie finds her walking in.

"Been awhile since I last was seein' eye ta eye with someone, miss... Artaith, was it?" ...Quiet as a stone, and strong as ta boot."
Artaith nods, an odd look in her eye. "Yer still a bit shorter 'n me, mister. An' I could prolly reach aroun' ya thrice over!" She grunts, giving him an appraising glance. "Whatta you do 'ere anyway?"

Her goal of reporting agreement to Velgani mostly forgotten, she talks... Slowly... With Jonnie for several minutes.

moondoggy
2015-05-06, 01:10 AM
"Name's Jonnie. I'm a hunter n' trapper by trade, and more recently a bit of a freelancer. You've already met ol' Velgani. Bit of a long wind, but he means all right. Our little group's gettin' paid ta handle some kobolds, but honestly it' seemin' ta be quite a perilous thing..."

Blisstake
2015-05-07, 09:41 PM
With the group having come to a consensus on approaching the kobold lair, you rest for the night at the Wise Piper, ready to head out in the morning. Before leaving Belhaim, Velgani stops by the Baccus Smithy. "Hey, welcome back. Got your blade all ready to go!" He hands the rapier over, much more elegant than when it arrived in the smithy. "I don't get to work with magic that often. Let me know if you find anything else."

You received Celeste, a +1 rapier with a minor enchantment. Whenever you would be in a position that would offer sneak attack (such as going first, having flanking, etc.), you get an additional +1 bonus to damage. It's a fairly small bonus, so it doesn't affect the selling price if you later replace it.

The quarry is only around half a mile away from the town, so it doesn't take long for you to reach your destination. You stop a fair distance away from the cave's entrance, in case anyone wants to scout out the location.

You guys can either all make your way to the entrance, or send someone ahead to scout. If you decide to scout ahead, please provide a perception and stealth check (you may take a 10 on either if you wish).

Since you're outside, Jonnie's animal companion is available.

Smileybastard
2015-05-07, 11:50 PM
Lyrander

Lyrander buys more arrows and hopefully a bow, then sleep and wakes early for the next day.

Farmerbink
2015-05-08, 07:27 AM
As the group approaches the cave, Artaith looks about their surroundings suspiciously. "This 's where 'em bastards call 'ome, is it?"

She retrieves her longhair from its sling over her shoulder and takes a few steps forwards before coming to a sudden stop. "Errr... anyone wan' ta look aroun' 'fore I go bargin' on in?"

She eyes Jonnie and Kathryne meaningfully, as she waits for an answer.

moondoggy
2015-05-08, 07:49 AM
Jonnie nods to their new companion, "Sure. Miss Kathryne, why don't you take the low road. I'll take the high." He places two fingers in his mouth and blows a short whistle. Less than a minute passes before the faint sound of wingbeats can be heard above them and a huge bird with brown and dark orange plumage alights next to the group. It leans downward and Jonnie affectionately scratches it's ruffled neck feathers.

"Hey there, Hickory. Let's take a quick fly around. There's a treat in it for ya later, promise." Quick as a wink the halfling climbs up onto the bird's back, tips his hat with a grin and the two of them take off into the sky.

Toxic Mind
2015-05-08, 08:44 AM
Kathryne nods, and slinks away, wrapping the shadows around herself as she scouts ahead.

Perc: [roll0]
Stealth: [roll1]

Starbin
2015-05-08, 09:31 AM
Velgani bowed to the weaponsmith. "You have my thanks, esteemed sir - I will attempt to do all of my official weapons business through your establishment!" Happy with his newest acquisition, Velgani returned to join the others as they headed out to the quarry. He had also purchased a nice set of lockpicks and a length of fine rope for their latest expedition.

Once they arrived, he smirked to himself that the dwarf did not invite him to scout the area. So he amused himself with humming a little ditty as they waited, eyes scanning the area as they waited.

[roll0]

Smileybastard
2015-05-08, 10:43 AM
Lyrander

Lyrander, quietly checks the ground around the cave entrance for tracks and keeps his eyes open for any intruders.

Stealth [roll0]
Survival [roll1]
Perception [roll2]

Blisstake
2015-05-09, 02:18 AM
Jonnie gets on Hickory and circles overhead while Lyrander and Kathryne sneak toward the cave entrance. 10 of them can be found near the entrance, mostly wielding crude spears or bows. One of them nudges a kobold next to him to point out an alarmingly large bird in the air, but thankfully neither seems to notice it being ridden by a halfling.

The cave seems to have 10 guards. Since none of you have been noticed yet, you guys can get a free surprise round from 60 feet away if you'd like. If you do, roll initiative afterwards, and we'll get this fight started."

Smileybastard
2015-05-10, 12:14 PM
Lyrander

Lyrander casts Message and whispers "There are ten kobald guards near the cave entrance. Come towards us" and Velgani, Artaith and Jonnie can hear it plainly.

He then retreats ten feet and casts another spell, nocks an arrow and prepares to fire when the others get close or the kobolds move.

Casts gravity bow.
Attack[roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Blisstake
2015-05-10, 11:13 PM
The kobolds appear to be extremely tense, and as soon as Lyranders arrow soars right over a guard that ducked just in time, they ready their weapons to defend against the party.

Lyrander wins initiative, so he gets another turn before the kobolds go. The map below is what the battlefield looks like. K are the kobolds, s is stone, with the gaps being the entrance to their cave. A particularly large rock is r, and t is a tree, both of which can provide cover.

Let me know which spot you want to start in (either here or in the OOC thread), and let me know if you have any questions or I left anything unclear.

~

A

B

r
r

C

r
r

D

t

E

F

G

H
K

K

K
K

K
K

I

K

K
K

K

J
s
s
s
s

s
s
s
s

Starbin
2015-05-11, 12:34 PM
As the others moved off to scout, Velgani looked at the crude map the little kobold had drawn, trying to find another entrance into the warren. He was deep in thought when Lyander's voice suddenly spoke nearby, "There are ten kobold guards near the cave entrance. Come towards us." Blinking, he glanced at the others to confirm they heard it, then put the map away and nodded his head.

"I suppose we should join them then. I might suggest we approach this surreptitiously, lest we alert the entire cavern. Although with ten guards posted, it may be that we are already expected ..."

Moving ahead quietly, Velgani managed to make it to a small rock outcropping without being seen when an arrow flew towards the kobolds and elicited a series of squeaks and cries. Glancing back, he saw Lyander moving back, notching another arrow. What in the nine Hells is he doing? I thought we were going to sneak up, first ... maybe talk our way in ... Sighing heavily, he reached into his pocket and pulled out some fine sand, then peered barely around the rock to blow it towards the clumped central group and whisper words of power. A wafting lethargy fell upon the stayed against the rock, wondering how to get closer without becoming a pin-cushion.

Starting at A3 (hugging the rock). Casting sleep to catch the kobolds in H3-5-6, I5-6. Will save vs DC 14 to negate.

Status
AC: 15 HPs: 18/18 CMB/D: +1/+13
F +1 R +5 W +4
Effects: None
Perception +6, Stealth +5

Blisstake
2015-05-12, 01:27 PM
As the kobolds are preparing to move forward, Lyrander takes one down with a well placed shot, while 3 fall unconscious as a result of Velgani's sleep spell. After that, only one of the remaining guards is close enough to reach Artaith, and he is immediately cut down as he tries to approach her. A few of the guards try to make their way to the other side of the rock, and one gets near enough to Velgani to attack him.

~

A

V
J
A

B

K
r
r

C

K
r
r

K

D

K
K

t

E

K

F

G

H

K*

I

K*
K*

J
s
s
s
s

s
s
s
s

Only a single kobold gets to make an attack against Velgani: [roll0]

Kathryne is still hidden from the rest of the kobolds. Lyrander is about 4 squares north of where the grid cuts off. All of you get a turn now. Kobolds marked with an asterisk are asleep.

Starbin
2015-05-12, 01:42 PM
The sudden appearance of a kobold from across the field to where he was hidden was surprising, but the harsh reality of an adventurer's life. Glancing at the scratch from the spear, Velgani raised his new weapon and smiled wickedly. In Draconic, he quipped "If you wish to dance, little one, I will oblige you, but I warn you - this may turn out badly. Have you met the angry dwarf over there?"

I guess they saw me ... so we'll attack. [roll0], [roll1]

EDIT: Sigh ...

Then 5 ft step backward to column ~4 (above Jonnie)

Status
AC: 15 HPs: 17/18 CMB/D: +1/+13
F +1 R +5 W +4

Smileybastard
2015-05-12, 04:00 PM
Lyrander

Lyrander draws a second arrow and fires at the charging kobolds.

Attack [roll0]
Damage[roll1]

Farmerbink
2015-05-12, 06:05 PM
Artaith steps forward, laughing loudly. "'Ats wot yew git fer shootin' me, ya right bastid!" As she swings her hammer in a wide arc towards the nearest goblin, she punctuates her own blows with more cries. "An' 'ats fer my 'orse!"

Artaith Hammerheart (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=190653)
F CG Dwarf Barbarian, Level 2, Init 2, HP 31/31, Speed 30
AC 18, Touch 12, Flat-footed 16, CMD 18, Fort 6, Ref 3, Will 1, CMB +6, Base Attack Bonus 2
Reach MW Dwarven Longhammer +7 (2d6+6, x3)
(Cleave Bonus) Dwarven DoubleAxe +6 (1d10+4, x3)
Dagger x6 +6/+3 (1d4+4, 19-20, x2)
Breastplate, Heavy Steel Shield (+6 Armor, +2 Dex)
Abilities Str 18, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 7, Wis 13, Cha 5
Condition None

5-foot step to B/5, attack D/5 kobold:
[roll0] attack
[roll1] damage
[roll2] cc (27, x3)
[roll3] crit damage

If E/5 tries to get close enough to attack (the 5-foot step from D/6 won't do it D:), AOO SMASH:
[roll4] attack
[roll5] damage
[roll6] cc (27, x3)
[roll7] crit damage

Toxic Mind
2015-05-14, 08:23 AM
Kathryne waits patiently until the Kobolds move closer. Even once the battle starts, she does not move. Suddenly, with a burst of speed, she strikes the flank of the kobolds, shortsword and dagger in hand. She slashes at the kobold, while her other hand reverses the grip on the dagger, preparing it for a brutal stab.

Move: ->D7
Attack: D6
[roll0]
[roll1]

moondoggy
2015-05-14, 03:38 PM
Seeing Velgani in need of assistance, Jonnie takes to the air and fires his crossbow at the kobold.

Attack: [roll0]

Blisstake
2015-05-14, 06:07 PM
Velgani has some difficulty hitting the kobold near him, but is covered by Jonnie who pierces through the reptilian's chest. Lyrander aims his shot slightly too wide, and Artaith swings a bit too high to injure the kobold nearest to her. However, Kathryne steps in with a backstab injuring one, and another one is cut down by the barbarian's axe as he tries to approach.

The remaining kobold near Velgani and Jonnie panics as his comrade is shot down, and drops his spear, switching to a bow. He takes a tentative shot at Hickory, attempting to bring it down along with the halfling on top. The surviving kobolds near Kathryne and Artaith attack their larger targets with spears, hoping to at least slow down their onslaught.

~

X

V

A

J

B

r
r
A

C

K
r
r

K

D

K
K

t

E

F

G

H

K*

I

K*
K*

J
s
s
s
s

s
s
s
s

Attack against Hickory: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
Attack against Artaith: [roll2] Damage: [roll3]
Attack against Kat: [roll4] Damage: [roll5]

Smileybastard
2015-05-14, 06:33 PM
Lyrander

Lyrander moves forward, ensuring he is within 30' and fires at on the kobolds near Artaith.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Farmerbink
2015-05-14, 08:15 PM
As Lyrander's shot whizzes by, Artaith turns her attention to the non-pincushioned kobold. "Good shot! An' this's fer ol' Fred'rick!"

Artaith Hammerheart (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=190653)
F CG Dwarf Barbarian, Level 2, Init 2, HP 31/31, Speed 30
AC 18, Touch 12, Flat-footed 16, CMD 18, Fort 6, Ref 3, Will 1, CMB +6, Base Attack Bonus 2
Reach MW Dwarven Longhammer +7 (2d6+6, x3)
(Cleave Bonus) Dwarven DoubleAxe +6 (1d10+4, x3)
Dagger x6 +6/+3 (1d4+4, 19-20, x2)
Breastplate, Heavy Steel Shield (+6 Armor, +2 Dex)
Abilities Str 18, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 7, Wis 13, Cha 5
Condition None

[roll0] atk @ D6
[roll1] dmg
[roll2] (27, x3)
[roll3] crit bonus

AoO?[roll4] atk
[roll5] dmg
[roll6] (27, x3)
[roll7] crit bonus

Edit: bugger it all D:

Starbin
2015-05-15, 08:56 AM
Velgani gave a quick wave and slight bow to the flying bird. "Much obliged, my friend! Then he rushed to circle the kobold that was trying to back away. In Draconic, he asked, "I am so sorry, but I believe you still owe me a dance ... it is very rude of you to leave your partner in a lurch. If only you could do something like surrender. Oh well, that's the crap of it!"

Move action to circle around to C1 (I can barely get there w/o drawing an AOO). Standard action to attack ... or at least swing my sword in the kobold's general direction. [roll0], [roll1]

EDIT: Wow ... I am an embarrassment to myself and magic swords everywhere.

Status
AC: 15 HPs: 17/18 CMB/D: +1/+13
F +1 R +5 W +4

moondoggy
2015-05-15, 10:24 AM
"T'weren't nothin', bud." came Jonnie's exuberant callback. Watching his friend miss another swipe and potentially leave himself open, Jonnie lines up another shot.

Attacking kobold at C2
Shot: [roll0]
Dmg: [roll1]