PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Quickdraw+ Reach Weapon + Mocking Dance = Pounce?

Elric VIII
2015-03-09, 10:43 PM
I've been looking around for various forms of pounce in PF, and it is usually hard to come by. I have not yet seen this combination mentioned and I was wondering if it would work.

Mocking dance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/mocking-dance-combat-performance) lets you move as a swift action with a performance combat check as long as the movement does not end in a square in which you threaten an enemy. Performing combatant (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/performing-combatant-combat) lets you use performance feats during normal combat. So, assuming you can make the performance combat check, would you be able to use these feats to move to a space that is 5 feet away from an enemy, quickdraw a reach weapon, and full attack?

Snowbluff
2015-03-09, 10:46 PM
Um, do you threaten while unarmed?

Elric VIII
2015-03-09, 10:54 PM
Um, do you threaten while unarmed?

Yes, that's why you use a reach weapon. It will always threaten outside your natural reach, so you can end your move not threatening, then draw your weapon.

deuxhero
2015-03-09, 11:37 PM
Don't you need another feat to use performance feats outside of performance?

DarkSonic1337
2015-03-10, 12:44 AM
If you do not have improved unarmed strike you do not threaten when unarmed, so the reach weapon isn't really necessary (unless this is a thing that changed from 3.5->pathfinder).

The other issue would be putting away said weapon to do the trick again (move action to put a weapon away), but still a neat trick.

Galen
2015-03-10, 12:58 AM
The other issue would be putting away said weapon to do the trick again (move action to put a weapon away), but still a neat trick.
Just drop the weapon as a free action. Any self-respecting adventurer will be carrying 20 different backup weapons anyway.

grarrrg
2015-03-10, 01:41 AM
So, assuming you can make the performance combat check

This is where the plan falls apart.
It's not "can I make the DC?"
It's "when am I allowed to make a check?"

Mocking Dance says "When you spend a swift action to make a performance combat check, before making..."
So you must already be making a Performance Check as a Swift action, it does not let you make a check any time you want.

Reading through the Performance Combat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/performance-combat) rules these are the situations when you may make a Swift Action Performance Check:
Charging (Full Action)
Combat Maneuver (Standard+)
Dealing Maximum Damage on an Attack (Standard+)
Energy Spells and Effects (i.e. the "Oooh pretty" one, can be Quickened to a Swift)
Feinting (Standard+ or Move)
Knocking an Opponent Prone (Standard+)
Multiple Hits (Full Round)
If you have the right feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/master-combat-performer-combat), you can do the above and the below to make checks as Free Actions that DO count towards the Mocking Dance feat (any checks made as Immediate or "non actions" can NOT count towards Performance Feat effects):
Critical Hits (Standard+)
First Blood (Standard+)
Raging (1st time per combat only)
Vanquishing an Opponent (likely Standard+)

Of those there are _3_ that do NOT eat your Standard action for the round. All of the rest already require a Standard action and thus cannot be used to "Mocking>Pounce". And all of those that work require the Master Combat Performer Feat to be used as Frees instead of Swifts.
You can Quicken a Spell to qualify for Energy Spells, using MCP-feat to Perform-Check as a Free action, then moving as your Swift.
Tying into the Quickened Spell, you can also manage First Blood by way of a Quickened spell (there is some overlap with the above, but 'Energy Spell' requires it be "flashy").
You can enter Rage as a Free action, using MCP-feat to Perform-Check as a Free action, then moving as your Swift. But this only counts once per combat. Still a solid opening move though.

Do note that you can normally only make Free Actions during your own turn, you are allowed to spend a Victory Point to make a Performance Free check when it is not your turn however. This may open up some AoO>Pounce options.

Elric VIII
2015-03-10, 03:27 PM
This is where the plan falls apart.
It's not "can I make the DC?"
It's "when am I allowed to make a check?"

Mocking Dance says "When you spend a swift action to make a performance combat check, before making..."
So you must already be making a Performance Check as a Swift action, it does not let you make a check any time you want.

Reading through the Performance Combat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/performance-combat) rules these are the situations when you may make a Swift Action Performance Check:
Charging (Full Action)
Combat Maneuver (Standard+)
Dealing Maximum Damage on an Attack (Standard+)
Energy Spells and Effects (i.e. the "Oooh pretty" one, can be Quickened to a Swift)
Feinting (Standard+ or Move)
Knocking an Opponent Prone (Standard+)
Multiple Hits (Full Round)
If you have the right feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/master-combat-performer-combat), you can do the above and the below to make checks as Free Actions that DO count towards the Mocking Dance feat (any checks made as Immediate or "non actions" can NOT count towards Performance Feat effects):
Critical Hits (Standard+)
First Blood (Standard+)
Raging (1st time per combat only)
Vanquishing an Opponent (likely Standard+)

Of those there are _3_ that do NOT eat your Standard action for the round. All of the rest already require a Standard action and thus cannot be used to "Mocking>Pounce". And all of those that work require the Master Combat Performer Feat to be used as Frees instead of Swifts.
You can Quicken a Spell to qualify for Energy Spells, using MCP-feat to Perform-Check as a Free action, then moving as your Swift.
Tying into the Quickened Spell, you can also manage First Blood by way of a Quickened spell (there is some overlap with the above, but 'Energy Spell' requires it be "flashy").
You can enter Rage as a Free action, using MCP-feat to Perform-Check as a Free action, then moving as your Swift. But this only counts once per combat. Still a solid opening move though.

Do note that you can normally only make Free Actions during your own turn, you are allowed to spend a Victory Point to make a Performance Free check when it is not your turn however. This may open up some AoO>Pounce options.

Ah, that's unfortunate, I misread the performance combat feat as "you may make a performance check as a swift action." Too bad.