PDA

View Full Version : Twig: We're all Bonesaws now! (spoilers unmarked)

Pages : [1] 2

Landis963
2015-03-09, 11:41 PM
Wildbow's new serial, simply entitled Twig, has launched! The dark biopunk story can be found here (https://twigserial.wordpress.com/).

Our protagonist is Sylvester, nicknamed "Sy," ("Sly" if there's trouble) a member of a team of young enforcers tasked by the Lambsbridge Academy to neutralize rogue experimenters. The story opens with him and the other members of the group dealing with a biological experimenter known simply as "the Snake Charmer" and his experiment, an overgrown cat snake thing.

Qwertystop
2015-03-09, 11:46 PM
So why is this in Webcomics? You gave a reason in the Pact thread, but it didn't make much sense to me, and I figured discussion about three location of this thread would fit better here than there.

Landis963
2015-03-09, 11:50 PM
Besides the reason I gave, placing it in Webcomics could attract more people, there's already a thread for Worm here, and we'd need to link this in the Pact thread regardless so I thought why not?

Somebloke
2015-03-10, 03:01 AM
The protagonists seem pretty dark right off the bat- a marked change from bullied Taylor and innocent Blake.

The concepts are interesting. Hopefully the 'laws' of the setting are better defined than in Pact, which was one minor quibble I had with the series.

Somebloke
2015-03-10, 03:34 AM
I would also like to humbly request that we change the title of the thread to 'We're all Bonesaws now!'

Dragonus45
2015-03-10, 05:18 AM
The protagonists seem pretty dark right off the bat- a marked change from bullied Taylor and innocent Blake.

The concepts are interesting. Hopefully the 'laws' of the setting are better defined than in Pact, which was one minor quibble I had with the series.

I thought that was the best part of Pact, the way magic worked was kind of fuzzy even to the people who practiced it and it helped give it a more magical feel.

Qwertystop
2015-03-10, 09:49 AM
Besides the reason I gave, placing it in Webcomics could attract more people, there's already a thread for Worm here, and we'd need to link this in the Pact thread regardless so I thought why not?

Because it is not in any way a webcomic?

Landis963
2015-03-10, 10:15 AM
Because it is not in any way a webcomic?

It's a story, on the internet, that is released in installments. The only thing keeping it from being a web comic is the lack of pictures. Is Erfworld no longer a web comic because it has text-only pages?

Also, I hate to bring this up, but I didn't notice anyone else jumping to make the new thread.

EDIT: Thread title changed.

Lamech
2015-03-10, 11:20 AM
If it really bugs you that much, I can illustrate some panels in the comments. Well really just a link to Devian's Tart. They will be badly illustrated as a comedic contrast to Wildbow's excellent writing. (Definitely not because I'm a crap artist.) Also I may mistranslate some of the text. Going from English to English is hard. And most of it will remain unillustrated.

Oh and if anyone asks I'll claim the parody exception.

halfeye
2015-03-10, 11:27 AM
I started the Worm thread, I didn't know there was anywhere else to put it at the time.

If there are more threads about text stories in that forum I ought to view it.

Dragonus45
2015-03-10, 05:45 PM
It's a story, on the internet, that is released in installments. The only thing keeping it from being a web comic is the lack of pictures. Is Erfworld no longer a web comic because it has text-only pages?

Also, I hate to bring this up, but I didn't notice anyone else jumping to make the new thread.

EDIT: Thread title changed.

... Its a story done in text with no illustrations. Its not a webcomic any more than a novel released in pieces in a newspaper would be a news paper comic. Erfworld has occasional text updates to supplement that fact it is a webcomic.

Did we need one? Generally turning the Pact thread into an all purpose wildbow thread would have been a perfectly acceptable solution to the fact the Pact thread had many pages left to go before it hit 50.

Somebloke
2015-03-10, 06:17 PM
Guys? I know this is the internet and all, and it's our right to nitpick, but the location of the thread isn't a major deal. Who knows- it might drum up new readers.

Eldan
2015-03-10, 06:25 PM
I dunno... I'd say media seems to get more views than here? I mean, I only go to specific webcomic threads I have pre-registered, while I occasionally browse media for general stuff. Anecdoctal, I know, but still, the argument "people might find it" doesn't seem to hold much water to me.

Plus, yeah. This is not in any way or shape a comic. Being on the web in installments makes it a web story, not a web comic. It belongs in general media, as it is basically a book. You know, where the running Worm thread was. And the Pact thread.

Dragonus45
2015-03-10, 08:03 PM
Guys? I know this is the internet and all, and it's our right to nitpick, but the location of the thread isn't a major deal. Who knows- it might drum up new readers.

Your right its not a huge deal, but for some reason it bothers me more than it probably should.

Landis963
2015-03-10, 08:45 PM
If it really bugs you that much, I'll PM the next mod I come across with a polite request to merge it with the Pact thread back in Media Discussions. Is that fair?

Nourjan
2015-03-10, 10:33 PM
If it really bugs you that much, I'll PM the next mod I come across with a polite request to merge it with the Pact thread back in Media Discussions. Is that fair?

Why not just move this whole thread in the media section without cluttering the Pact thread?

Landis963
2015-03-10, 10:52 PM
Why not just move this whole thread in the media section without cluttering the Pact thread?

Because there was talk of making the thread Wildbow-specific, so we could easily talk about, say, Worm while he's writing anything else (if a new reader came through and read it, or whatever). Honestly it'd be fine either way.

Fjolnir
2015-03-10, 10:59 PM
A minor nitpick "Sy" is how the main character is usually referred to, "Sly" is how they refer to him when there's a warning of trouble or something similar.

Landis963
2015-03-10, 11:00 PM
A minor nitpick "Sy" is how the main character is usually referred to, "Sly" is how they refer to him when there's a warning of trouble or something similar.

Ooh, that's clever. I didn't notice that.

SlyGuyMcFly
2015-03-11, 07:16 AM
ITS THE FRANKENSTEIN UNIVERSE YESSS!! I am so happy to see this setting making a comeback from those snippets we got after Worm.

Our protagonist is Sylvester, nicknamed "Sy," ("Sly" if there's trouble) a member of a team of young enforcers tasked by the Lambsbridge Academy to neutralize rogue experimenters. The story opens with him and the other members of the group dealing with a biological experimenter known simply as "the Snake Charmer" and his experiment, an overgrown snake thing.

Oh Wildbow, you named the protagonist after me? You shouldn't have! :smallredface: A guy can dream, ok?

This thread totes belongs in Media. A serialised novel is not a webcomic.

halfeye
2015-03-11, 10:47 AM
This thread totes belongs in Media. A serialised novel is not a webcomic.
I don't know. I come to "webcomics" for comics and found a reference to Worm which led to me reading all of that.

I've looked at "media" and it's pretty random and in general not that interesting to me.

Maybe "media" should have a "webmedia" subsection which could include "webcomics" as a sub-sub-section? However, that separates webcomics off from paper based comics, which might be a bad thing.

All in all, I dunno.

Somebloke
2015-03-14, 05:45 AM
And more of the world, and the characters, are explained.

While the talk of projects and development of the brains strongly hints at science experiments, I wonder if Wildbow's throwing us a red herring and he's just referring to training and mental outlook?

And talk of expiry dates. Wildbow loves his doomed protagonists.

Landis963
2015-03-14, 08:41 AM
And more of the world, and the characters, are explained.

While the talk of projects and development of the brains strongly hints at science experiments, I wonder if Wildbow's throwing us a red herring and he's just referring to training and mental outlook?

And talk of expiry dates. Wildbow loves his doomed protagonists.

The detail of those files ("data, notes, design, and more"), coupled with the different codenamed projects (Galatea, Caterpillar, Griffon, Wyvern), suggests either augmented or so-called "vat grown" kids. My money's on blade-runner style replicants, personally.

IthilanorStPete
2015-03-14, 08:46 AM
The reference to Galatea is interesting and definitely suggests an artificial origin; in Greek mythology, that was the name of the statue Pygmalion carved which was brought to life.

Landis963
2015-03-14, 08:51 AM
The reference to Galatea is interesting and definitely suggests an artificial origin; in Greek mythology, that was the name of the statue Pygmalion carved which was brought to life.

In addition, Project Galatea produced Helen, the most stoic of the lot. Project Griffon produced Gordon, the one Sy kept talking up as "Talented," "The Hero," etc. Project Wyvern produced Sy, which fits someone who does sneaky movements (villainous reptile stereotype) at cost to himself in order to protect his group (Heraldric meaning of valor and protection). Project Caterpillar produced Jamie, but I'm not sure how exactly that fits.

DJ Yung Crunk
2015-03-14, 08:53 AM
You mean "FKA Twig" right, OP?

Landis963
2015-03-14, 08:54 AM
You mean "FKA Twig" right, OP?

:smallconfused: I don't believe so...

DJ Yung Crunk
2015-03-14, 09:14 AM
:smallconfused: I don't believe so...

Prepare thyself to deal with a lawsuit (http://pitchfork.com/news/58366-fka-twigs-stuck-in-legal-battle-over-name/)

Landis963
2015-03-14, 09:59 AM
Prepare thyself to deal with a lawsuit (http://pitchfork.com/news/58366-fka-twigs-stuck-in-legal-battle-over-name/)

First off, the two works have nothing on common, so any such lawsuit is frivolous at best, Second off, I hadn't heard of any of this until you brought it up, Third off, who's going to tattle on him? You?

DJ Yung Crunk
2015-03-14, 10:01 AM
First off, the two works have nothing on common, so any such lawsuit is frivolous at best, Second off, I hadn't heard of any of this until you brought it up, Third off, who's going to tattle on him? You?

Well, I'm sure we can arrange something.

You have PayPal, right?

Somebloke
2015-03-14, 05:09 PM
The detail of those files ("data, notes, design, and more"), coupled with the different codenamed projects (Galatea, Caterpillar, Griffon, Wyvern), suggests either augmented or so-called "vat grown" kids. My money's on blade-runner style replicants, personally.

I hope it's not the case. This would make two POV characters with a limited lifespan as a plot device.

Landis963
2015-03-14, 05:27 PM
I hope it's not the case. This would make two POV characters with a limited lifespan as a plot device.

Hey now, Blake got a lot of mileage out of his "limited" lifespan.

Eldan
2015-03-14, 08:52 PM
To be fair, vanilla humans have a limited lifespan too.

Coidzor
2015-03-15, 02:24 AM
Wildbow's new serial, simply entitled Twig, has launched! The dark biopunk story can be found here (https://twigserial.wordpress.com/).

Our protagonist is Sylvester, nicknamed "Sy," ("Sly" if there's trouble) a member of a team of young enforcers tasked by the Lambsbridge Academy to neutralize rogue experimenters. The story opens with him and the other members of the group dealing with a biological experimenter known simply as "the Snake Charmer" and his experiment, an overgrown cat snake thing.

What does that have to do with all of us being ready (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8I43bF840s), though?

Landis963
2015-03-15, 03:22 AM
What does that have to do with all of us being ready (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8I43bF840s), though?

:smallamused: Wrong Bonesaw. Have you read Worm? If not, you should totally do that, it's probably the better of his two works thus far. Also, you'll be able to understand the in-jokes.

EDIT: Can be found here (parahumans.wordpress.com).

SlyGuyMcFly
2015-03-15, 05:59 AM
Wow, so now we've got replicants? SO. AWESOME.

Somebloke
2015-03-19, 02:47 AM
So far so good...

The series is stronger for the interplay between the main characters, which was missing from the first few arcs of Pact.

SlyGuyMcFly
2015-03-19, 05:22 AM
So far so good...

The series is stronger for the interplay between the main characters, which was missing from the first few arcs of Pact.

Quite agree. It's great seeing the characters bounce off each other like this.

Somebloke
2015-03-25, 02:47 AM
...and we have our first 'impossible to escape' scenario. With Wildbow, of course, it's a question of how they will get out of this, rather than if.

It's interesting to note this is Wildbow's first attempt (as far as we know; the story plot is still early) to show protagonists with no 'powers' beyond advanced intellect. Of course, a group (revelation? Circle? Reveal? Annoyance?) of Tattletales is interesting enough in itself.

Landis963
2015-03-26, 07:24 AM
And the cavalry comes to the rescue. Sy also tells us what he and the other experiments are (with the exception of Lillian): Woman-born designer babies, modded after the fact. Assuming of course that he wasn't lying to Mary about it. He did add a couple more experiments to the roster than are actually there. (Lillian is human, Evette was one of the failures)

EDIT: This means that my guess about Sy and co. being vat-grown replicants was incorrect. :smallsigh:

Landis963
2015-03-27, 11:35 PM
New update:

Sy capitalizes on Mary's ambush to fake his death, snoop, menace a corpse-taker with a penknife to a very important place. Also a bit more supposition on this "puppeteer," and a turn of events that makes me really really scared of ever facing Sy in a game of chess.

EDIT: Also, for lack of a better option, I suggest we call Sy and his team the "Lost Lambs" until a better option comes up. Can't be worse than "the Blakeguard," right?

Qwertystop
2015-03-27, 11:42 PM
..huh. Threatening someone with a knife to their bits... to get directions.

Landis963
2015-03-27, 11:51 PM
..huh. Threatening someone with a knife to their bits... to get directions.

:smalltongue: Ladies and Gents, our protagonist.

Eldan
2015-03-28, 07:32 AM
Habe you ever been to a big city? It's the only way to get them to listen.:smallamused:

Landis963
2015-03-28, 09:33 AM
Habe you ever been to a big city? It's the only way to get them to listen.:smallamused:

That or money, hehe.

IthilanorStPete
2015-03-28, 03:31 PM
I am enjoying this story much more than Pact and even Worm, in some ways. One of Wildbow's characteristics has always been a great deal of introspection, lots of characters sitting around thinking; with a protagonist in an established group, a lot of that's replaced with dialogue, which makes the writing flow much better.

Qwertystop
2015-05-13, 11:54 PM
Huh. So expiration dates aren't the same as death dates? I wonder what's going to break down.

Kantaki
2015-05-14, 06:39 AM
Huh. So expiration dates aren't the same as death dates? I wonder what's going to break down.

Well yes. Food can still be eaten after it has reached ist expiration date its just not as good anymore. I imagine ist similar with the lamps. The expiration date is when they can't fulfill their purpurse any more, death date is when they will most likely die. In Gordons case at least that seems to be the same but not in Jamies case. And Project Wyvern will outlast the others but wish he hadn't? That sounds like more than just regret over surviving his friends.
And I get more and more the Feeling that Lillian is more than we are told, than Sy knows. At least it seems that she is far better than her age would indicate.

Landis963
2015-05-14, 12:02 PM
I am enjoying this story much more than Pact and even Worm, in some ways. One of Wildbow's characteristics has always been a great deal of introspection, lots of characters sitting around thinking; with a protagonist in an established group, a lot of that's replaced with dialogue, which makes the writing flow much better.

Especially with a viewpoint character who flat-out isn't as good with the silent introspection as he is with the banter. Sy specifically mentions this before pitching his second chance to Hayle.

Kantaki
2015-05-14, 03:08 PM
I have to say that while I don‛t really like Sylvester, right now he has my sympathy seeing his siblings and knowing how and when their existence will cease to be can not be easy even for our self-declared villian. And the worst part is that he will survive them. The only question is how long. Well that and how long Mary will live. And if my theory is right and Lillian is more than we all know. I mean unless she started studying as a toddler she is not a year ten student. And if it wasn't exaggeration what the academy-doc said her skills are on this level. Maybe I am paranoid but in the Twig-Verse that screams Mad-Science-Project. And finally the last question is will I ever learn to count? :smallbiggrin:

Dragonus45
2015-05-16, 05:46 AM
I gotta say Mauer is one of the most interesting characters I have seen in a long long long long time. I could read a whole series just about him. Hope he does put his foot up The Academies ass at some point.

J-H
2015-05-16, 07:53 AM
Agreed.
I think it might be for the best (long run) if he wins. This society of abominations is not sustainable.

Kantaki
2015-05-16, 08:38 AM
That, that will haunt my dreams. But I'm not sure the Shepherd is an "good" guy there. While I agree with his point of view regarding the acadamy and hope it falls sooner or later, he seems only motivated by anger and less by a desire to make the world a better place.

Landis963
2015-05-17, 10:58 AM
That, that will haunt my dreams. But I'm not sure the Shepherd is an "good" guy there. While I agree with his point of view regarding the acadamy and hope it falls sooner or later, he seems only motivated by anger and less by a desire to make the world a better place.

The Puppeteer had other, more selfish motives than curtailing the Academy's "overgrowth" as well. Him and the Shepherd (as well as the resistance group we saw in Enemy 1 who aren't telling the Puppeteer everything) are the closest we have to the good guys beyond our team of pint-sized infiltrators.

Kantaki
2015-05-19, 05:45 AM
New Update, new Arc. The Lambs are busy hunting small animals. Sy is not a morning person, and wow he can be a nice guy. Mary hides an entire arsenal of knifes in her hair (I have to agree girls are scary :smallamused:). And finally we get to see an Lockdown in the Bowels first hand, yay.:smallbiggrin: Lips sealed seems to refer to the experiment-women. I bet it will mean something else (as well).

"His panic agitated the experiment, the experiment agitated his insides with her hands." has to be the greatest line of the day. But the Sy wants to be a girl scene is funnier. Why? It would make his Job easier. And he could spend more time with Mary and protect her. Aww that is cute.

IthilanorStPete
2015-05-20, 09:51 PM
The Lambs & Mary are an interesting combination of adorable and terrifying; they're all a great deal of fun to read about.

J-H
2015-05-22, 07:31 AM
I just woke up from a dream involving Bonesaw. When I woke up I knew instantly there was no way I was going to go back to sleep.

The bad part is that what was going on in the dream is not even 25% of the level of what Bonesaw really did.

Kantaki
2015-05-22, 07:40 AM
I just woke up from a dream involving Bonesaw. When I woke up I knew instantly there was no way I was going to go back to sleep.

The bad part is that what was going on in the dream is not even 25% of the level of what Bonesaw really did.

If it makes you feel better, the stuff Bonesaw did is not even close to the things the Academy does.:smallamused:

J-H
2015-05-22, 10:22 AM
Eidolon gets too much of a free pass for never going after the S9. Failing that, they should have been hit with a tactical nuke (<1km blast radius) long before they ever got to BB. The collateral damage would have been worth it.

Even if Crawler survived, he would not have been nearly as dangerous without backup. From what we know, he can't bypass Alexandria's invulnerability the way the Siberian could, so she could just pick him up and drop him at the south pole as a temporary containment strategy.

The Academy doesn't take personal joy in breaking down and the suffering of others; it's not personal, for them. In my book they're slightly less evil, but still within the "burn it with fire from orbit" category.

Kantaki
2015-05-23, 06:53 AM
New chapter.
Sy deflecting blame is funny.
We learn more about the Bowels Containment measures.
Poor Lil has a small crisis of faith because no one else seems to be bothered by their situation. Interesting that Sylvester of all people tries to reassure her. I don't know if telling her that they Need her exactly the way she is is the most helpful way of doing so, but it seems to work.
And the experiments behavior is very concerning. She seems to act with a plan and she gathers troops out of the Academies victims.
I hope the best for our heroes, but what we see there shows again that the Academy is truly monstrous and needs to be stopped. I just don't want the lambs to go down with it. And I doubt that attacking the Academy itself will accomplish anything, the Empire itself seems to be the root of most Problems.

Kantaki
2015-05-26, 09:14 AM
And another new chapter. Slys little play with Sub Rosa (a great name for a mute experiment) is rather risky but it works out well. Sub Rosa seems to recognice the Lambs as fellow experiments and well... to have a soft spot for them. As long as they play along they should be more or less safe. Less in the case of Lillian, lets hope she can stay of the radar as long as possible.

The fact that neither of the Lambs is willing to leave the others behind is really cute. But Helen, Jamie and Lillian are less likely than you to run away? Are you sure about this Sylvester? I would have expected you would count yourself to the unlikely to escape group. And the question is what are the motivations for this decision? Mary and to a greater degree than he would admit Sy see the others as family and that should be true for most of the others as well, but I don't know if that is everyones primary motivation.

Landis963
2015-05-26, 07:03 PM
The fact that neither of the Lambs is willing to leave the others behind is really cute. But Helen, Jamie and Lillian are less likely than you to run away? Are you sure about this Sylvester? I would have expected you would count yourself to the unlikely to escape group. And the question is what are the motivations for this decision? Mary and to a greater degree than he would admit Sy see the others as family and that should be true for most of the others as well, but I don't know if that is everyones primary motivation.

If it came down to running away, I'm fairly certain Sy would beat the others by a wide margin. He just seems built that way. And I don't think it's likelihood which is the sticking point here; Lillian already said that she wasn't going to run. They were discussing the pros and cons of all of them running, and one of the cons was that Jamie (nerd build), Lillian (baseline human) and Helen (whatever she is) would be outstripped by Gordon (strongest), Sy (built with coward's instincts and slighter build), and Mary (dragged along by Sy).

Kantaki
2015-05-26, 07:27 PM
Sure, that is all true but still, with the way he presents himself it is surprising that Sy votes to stay together. Its almost as if there is a little good guy in our self proclaimed villian. Not that he would ever admit it.

But Sy is great, butting heads with the leader of the convicts? Sure why not, lets improvise. But the most glorious Sy moment was putting a hand under Marys skirt... to steal one of her knifes. I wonder which part made her angrier.:smallamused:

And Sub Rosa? What is the true purpose of this project? Who was this woman? What does she want? Why has she those skills? I doubt it was just a bring back the dead experiment. Sure part of it was getting information from spies but still something seems odd.

Landis963
2015-05-27, 11:50 AM
Sure, that is all true but still, with the way he presents himself it is surprising that Sy votes to stay together. Its almost as if there is a little good guy in our self proclaimed villian. Not that he would ever admit it.

But Sy is great, butting heads with the leader of the convicts? Sure why not, lets improvise. But the most glorious Sy moment was putting a hand under Marys skirt... to steal one of her knifes. I wonder which part made her angrier.:smallamused:

And Sub Rosa? What is the true purpose of this project? Who was this woman? What does she want? Why has she those skills? I doubt it was just a bring back the dead experiment. Sure part of it was getting information from spies but still something seems odd.

It was billed as a spy thing - operative dies obviously, Academy can bring them back with the Sub Rosa project and debrief. Or stealing an enemy operative from the morgue and interrogating them. The only problem is, Rosa doesn't appear capable of speech, only residual instincts. With that said, these same residual instincts point very clearly to a former Academy employee - knowledge of the security systems first and foremost, but also things like authoritative demeanor, and possibly the way she directed her entourage down the hallways.

Kantaki
2015-05-27, 12:46 PM
It was billed as a spy thing - operative dies obviously, Academy can bring them back with the Sub Rosa project and debrief. Or stealing an enemy operative from the morgue and interrogating them. The only problem is, Rosa doesn't appear capable of speech, only residual instincts. With that said, these same residual instincts point very clearly to a former Academy employee - knowledge of the security systems first and foremost, but also things like authoritative demeanor, and possibly the way she directed her entourage down the hallways.

The reason I doubt we were told the whole story behind the Sub Rosa poject is that our Sub Rosa seems to have some degree of superstrenght. Well that and the fact that she seems to be the focus of the current Arc. But it seems to fit the Acadamys m.o. to make projects weaponized if possible so an resurrected spy ripping steel apart is not that surprising. The only odd part is the fact that she knows so much about the security of the Bowels. Would the Acadamy really use its own staff as testsubjects? No let me rephrase that part. Would they use staff that is important enough to know this much about their systems as a testsubject?

And I really wonder what will happen to the prisoners. If Sub Rosa really wants to protect fellow experiments they could get into trouble, especially since Sly and their leader like each other so much.

Dragonus45
2015-05-27, 02:41 PM

Happened to me with a nightmare involving Grey Boy once. Didn't sleep for a good long while after that one.

Landis963
2015-05-27, 02:42 PM
The reason I doubt we were told the whole story behind the Sub Rosa poject is that our Sub Rosa seems to have some degree of superstrenght. Well that and the fact that she seems to be the focus of the current Arc. But it seems to fit the Acadamys m.o. to make projects weaponized if possible so an resurrected spy ripping steel apart is not that surprising. The only odd part is the fact that she knows so much about the security of the Bowels. Would the Acadamy really use its own staff as testsubjects? No let me rephrase that part. Would they use staff that is important enough to know this much about their systems as a testsubject?.

Maybe if they died first, by whatever trauma, and they didn't want to rez someone they knew would be... unsympathetic to their views and aims. I don't see, for instance, a convict who'd died in the Bowels being all that happy to find out they've been rezzed - in the Bowels.

Kantaki
2015-05-28, 09:19 AM
New Chapter. Sy gets a new friend, Mary disappoints him, Lillian surprises everyone and Jamie is called a girl.
The interaction of Sylvester and Lillian is great again, she knows him to well to take a compliment from him without second guessing it even i he is serious for once. "You came across like a true lamb" is the closest he has ever come to call her a part of the group. Sy, are you starting to like Lillian? And it seems Mary hates being saved from her mistakes even more than making them. The fun part is that I agree with Sy there. Lillian plays the game better than Mary? That is a surprise. On the other Hand she had a different training than the others.

Lamech
2015-05-29, 05:45 PM
What I want to know is why Sub Rosa is going in. If she wanted to destroy the Academy knowledge base this would hurt, but that's not the focus. My best guess in on an experiment rescue mission. But what about getting out? I would assume that the Academy has good security at the entrances, but Fluffy escaped and she can be thwarted by posting a few people at every entrance, when they should have a few cannons and a few groups of stitched gunners. And a buddy system would be a good thing for the bowels to have anyway.

Really the Fluffy escape should have been settled by "We are testing a new experiment in the bowels. Do not worry as long as you follow the new mandatory buddy system you will be perfectly safe. Happy Science!"

Maybe she has an escape chunnel. Could this be introducing enemy faction 3?

Landis963
2015-05-29, 09:00 PM
What I want to know is why Sub Rosa is going in. If she wanted to destroy the Academy knowledge base this would hurt, but that's not the focus. My best guess in on an experiment rescue mission. But what about getting out? I would assume that the Academy has good security at the entrances, but Fluffy escaped and she can be thwarted by posting a few people at every entrance, when they should have a few cannons and a few groups of stitched gunners. And a buddy system would be a good thing for the bowels to have anyway.

Really the Fluffy escape should have been settled by "We are testing a new experiment in the bowels. Do not worry as long as you follow the new mandatory buddy system you will be perfectly safe. Happy Science!"

Maybe she has an escape chunnel. Could this be introducing enemy faction 3?

Maybe she's just following what she remembers of her purpose, without having given a thought to next steps. Which in turn begs the question of why the Academy decided to rez her of all people.

Kantaki
2015-05-30, 10:25 AM
New Chapter:

As if Sub Rosa wasn't scary enough already, she takes six bullets to the face and keeps going. What was this Project intended for? I don't believe for a minute that the only purpurse was to revive spies and agents to gather information.

And Sy is right, Gordon choose a bad time to play knight in shining armor. But he is willing to keep his friends crush alive. The only reason this isn't funny is the part about Gordon not having much time left. It seems that he might die in the near future. Even more than the Lambs in General otherwise Sy wouldn't have put emphasis on it.

And sure Sylvester letting Mary put her Hand on your shoulder is only for her benefit. I believe you.:smallbiggrin: Not for a second.

Dragonus45
2015-06-01, 10:24 AM
New Chapter:

As if Sub Rosa wasn't scary enough already, she takes six bullets to the face and keeps going. What was this Project intended for? I don't believe for a minute that the only purpurse was to revive spies and agents to gather information.

And Sy is right, Gordon choose a bad time to play knight in shining armor. But he is willing to keep his friends crush alive. The only reason this isn't funny is the part about Gordon not having much time left. It seems that he might die in the near future. Even more than the Lambs in General otherwise Sy wouldn't have put emphasis on it.

And sure Sylvester letting Mary put her Hand on your shoulder is only for her benefit. I believe you.:smallbiggrin: Not for a second.

I do believe him, I'm fairly certain he is psychically incapable of caring on some levels.

Kantaki
2015-06-02, 10:40 AM
New chapter. Sub Rosa is explained, Sy looses a friend and the Lambs invade the Bowels security system.

Sylvesters crush on Mary is still cute and the way he reacts to Gordons is incredible funny.
The Information on Sub Rosa is interesting, as the woman that designed the bowels security she would know how to circumvent it. I have the Feeling her death and resurrection are A) related and B) some Kind of vengeance for a ruined project.
And Sy with a head injury is amusing. Rear ends are always worth a laugh.

Landis963
2015-06-03, 12:11 AM
OK, I was wondering why the Academy wanted to resurrect her. Now we know. It was to be an a**hole to her. :smallsigh: Seriously, where's the facepalm emote when you need it?

SlyGuyMcFly
2015-06-03, 05:14 AM
Sy's mild brain trauma is indeed amusing. But, but, butts! Also now I'm imagining pre-death Sub Rosa as pretty much GLADOS if GLADOS played Dwarf Fortress in her spare time.

OK, I was wondering why the Academy wanted to resurrect her. Now we know. It was to be an a**hole to her. :smallsigh: Seriously, where's the facepalm emote when you need it?

I doubt the academy is quite so petty. Evil, yes. Without a doubt. But it's more a mix of very enthusiastic mad science and the banality of evil than outright moustache-twirling in my eyes. My bet is that when she died, she took more than a few very important secrets with her. The Academy, being what it is, wanted those secrets back. So they took their best resurrection experiment and had a go. The results, of course, speak for themselves.

What I'm wondering is up to what point the Sub Rosa project was authorised by the upper echelons at the Academy or whether it's the work of one faction trying to sneak some questionable stuff past other factions within the Academy. It all seems to have a strong aroma of "If you know what's good for you, don't ask about this project". Hell, whether or not this whole mess is even related to the Shepherd's conspiracy is still an open question. Because while it was the Lambs' questioning Sub Rosa's keeper that seems to have triggered this whole mess, we still don't know how, if at all, this is related to Whiskers' release. :smallconfused:

Landis963
2015-06-03, 10:33 AM
I doubt the academy is quite so petty.

Rosa died, then Shipman resurrected her with, as Sy recounts:

...eyes open, mouth clamped shut, trapped, with her brain mostly in working order.

It's hard not to see a touch of petty revenge in there, especially if she was the hated taskmaster Gladys thinks she was. The Academy might not be petty as a rule, but a mad scientist with an axe to grind against his latest test subject? He'll be as petty as he pleases.

Kantaki
2015-06-03, 10:46 AM
Rosa died, then Shipman resurrected her with, as Sy recounts:

It's hard not to see a touch of petty revenge in there, especially if she was the hated taskmaster Gladys thinks she was. The Academy might not be petty as a rule, but a mad scientist with an axe to grind against his latest test subject? He'll be as petty as he pleases.

Since Gladys implied her uncle kept the fact he resurrected her a secret, it is even more likely that this was some kind of revenge combined with a desire to prove himself to her.

But, (stop laughing Sy:smallbiggrin:) I wonder how much we heard there about Sub Rosas past is really true and how much is warped perspective from one of the Academys crazy scientists. I think the problem was that she was one of the few sane people this place had.

Lamech
2015-06-04, 02:24 PM
But, (stop laughing Sy:smallbiggrin:) I wonder how much we heard there about Sub Rosas past is really true and how much is warped perspective from one of the Academys crazy scientists. I think the problem was that she was one of the few sane people this place had.
Let's go through the Academy's security failings: They have a society of disgruntled former members of the Academy they don't know about. They've acquired plenty of stolen knowledge and plenty of hate towards the Academy all completely the Academy's fault.

They let an armed group of soldiers with reason to hate the Academy gather in their city. The security measures at the Bowels were insufficient to stop Fuzzball from escaping, a creature who probably would not have gotten past a few doormen or a solid door. Due to its behavior, not its physical abilities.

The most recent batch of problems is a group of people running around who were given super-powers and a reason to hate the Academy, by the Academy. They apparently haven't changed the security measures in a decade, despite the fact they KNOW they've been infiltrated.

On the topic of infiltration, Mary? Really what do you think will happen when her Father shows back up.

Those hilarious badges Sy loves so much apparently don't have pictures or descriptions. Also that anyone would trust a piece of metal as proof of trustworthiness at all? Because they didn't have enough trouble with infiltration as it was.

The Academy's idea of security can be unfavourably compared to that of a public park. Sub Rosa may not have been sane, but the Academy's inability to follow basic security and safety procedures is astounding.

Kantaki
2015-06-06, 05:17 AM
New chapter.

Sub Rosa seems to be the one who started the whole results as fast as possible attitude the Academy shows and the ruthless experiments it leads to. I think her „fall” was caused by a outside influence and her participation in the Sub Rosa project vengeance for the lives her politic ruined (both those of Academy staff and those that were subjected to the experiments) and that she had it coming.
The Tendril-things are truly nightmarish. I really don’t get why they aren't used.
The bugs and their intended purpose are a pleasant surprise, but even they have to be weaponized to get funding. Why? A fast way to spread medical treatment should already be valuable enough.
Sy is resistant to most poisons. Great. That opens the possibility for the best mindgame ever. The information on Jamie on the other hand is horrible and shows again how bad the Academy actually is. It just isn't very helpful in the current situation. Sy, Helen and Jamie have to defend a pile of tranquilized people - including their own teammates - against an upgraded Sub Rosa and they have nothing on hand they can use. Sub Rosas new form is another image for my nightmares, as if a unstoppable killing machine wasn’t bad enough her cocoon can take in additional bodys and it seems that she can „modify” them to suit her better. And if Sy is right the guy she absorbed is still alive in there. I just hope he doesn’t feel pain (for my sake not his). On the plus side her cocoon doesn't regenerate its content, it just keeps it going. That gives our heroes a tiny chance to beat her.

Kantaki
2015-06-09, 09:26 AM
New chapter.

"I wanna be the one to unleash the flesh-eating plague." I can feel with you Sy, I can feel with you.
Jamie needed that hug badly. But I don't think the fact that he didn't recognice Sub Rosa is a bad sign. I mean sure he passed her portait over a dozen times, but how often did he look at it?

The way the Lambs interact is still great and shows that despite being experiments they are still chidren and more importantly truly a family. Fine pondering how angry Gordon woud be if they used his crush as monster-bait isn't exactly nice but it fits Sy and at least he thinks about it. Just Helen shouldn't act so human, thats creepy. I wonder why she isn't allowed pets.

Kantaki
2015-06-11, 08:49 AM
New Chapter.

And Sub Rosa is defeated. Wow that closer than any of the other confrontations. I just hope Jamie will survive. The first time I'm really worried for an protagonist in this story. Felt almost like eading Worm for the first time.

Using Shipman as bait should have been obvious after the previous chapter but it still managed to surprise me. It seems she survived it. Good for her.
Sylvester sounds incredible badass while telling those Researchers he is only eleven (almost twelve). I admit the "we killed more monsters than you're even aware existed." follow up might be part of it but still.

Kantaki
2015-06-13, 06:22 AM
New Chapter.

Jamie lives. Sy is nice to Lillian. And no I don't believe for a minute that he did it because her crying annoyed her. The other Lambs teasing Sy with the act that he will find someone he likes at some point was great.

The Academy gets a new boss. A Duke, sixteenth in line for the throne, has led armies for the Empire. Why does that sound like he will be utterly useless, maybe even harmful for the Lambs?

Project Wyverns primary purpose was to increase the brain capacity? And it seems Sys memory probles could be related to the fact that they used him to test the limits of this Treatment before he was choosen for the Lambs. And now the Lambs have to hunt a renegade academy student who took the same Treatment. Sys first thougth about her was "I have a sister", that could lead to a conflict of interest if the Academy wants her dead.

It seems that the Academy has no obvious problems with racism or sexism. They only care about the knowledge a person has not about the gender or skin-colour of that person.

What worries me is the part about Radhams Monster. The way it was talked about it seems powerful enough to destroy at least the city if not more. And the fact that it is called Radhams Monster implies there are others under the academies of other cities. Itt reminds me of the Endbringers in a way that promises large scale destruction.

I wonder what the pills are for. An antidot for a toxic enviroment? A control mechianism for experiments? For the populace as well?

Landis963
2015-06-13, 10:50 AM
Fun fact: That "renegade Academy student" was the protagonist of one of the snippets that Wildfire was testing after Worm. (Pact and a couple others were in the same group.) What we've heard so far dovetails nicely with the events of that snippet. (Fray was testing a thesis, it failed to impress, she was imprisoned to keep her work from leaking, she rescued the disembodied head of another prisoner, and by the end of the snippet had set up a sort of PI office in a brothel.)

Kantaki
2015-06-13, 01:21 PM
Unfortunatly I missed those those snippets. Maybe she will be the next "enemy" chapters protagonist and we learn about the Twig version of these events. Somehow I hope the Lambs will work with her and not against her. Mostly because of Sys reaction when hearing about her. On the other hand that would mean two Sys and I don't know if anyone deserves this.:smallbiggrin:

Speaking of Sy, for someone who has (so far) no interest in romance there are a lot of potential love interests. Well kind of, he is definitely interested in Mary, has an interesting chemistry with Helen, he likes Lillian no matter how often he denies it and even if it it is not romantic he is incredible close to Jamie. Each of them had a moment with Sy that made me think "yes, that could work".

SlyGuyMcFly
2015-06-13, 03:27 PM
I'm excited about the next arc, we'll get to see some more of the world outside Radham and I'm sure Genevieve will make for an interesting antagonist. Will this be the point where the Lambs break ties to the Academy?

Speaking of Sy, for someone who has (so far) no interest in romance there are a lot of potential love interests. Well kind of, he is definitely interested in Mary, has an interesting chemistry with Helen, he likes Lillian no matter how often he denies it and even if it it is not romantic he is incredible close to Jamie. Each of them had a moment with Sy that made me think "yes, that could work".

I've been enjoying the ship-baiting too :smallbiggrin: Personally, I'm going with the HMS Mary's Little Lamb, but the scene with Lillian this last chapter was sweet.

Kantaki
2015-06-16, 09:23 AM
New chapter. Poor Warren, gets betrayed by someone he considered a friend. Wendy is interesting, she seems very human for a automaton made from corpses. There are cosmetic changes using bio-tec? I should have expected that, if there is a medical use there are other uses as well. I don't know if I would use it to change my appeareance. Fixing my eyesight? Sure, sign me up but changing my eyecolour? giving me horns? It sounds cool but I think I would pass.

That Ms. Fray wants to meet the Lambs makes me curious. What does she plan?
Her escape makes me happy that we will see more of her as well. Hiding some tentacle-thing by swallowing it, an improvised knife under her Dress, she reminds me of a single person-version of the Lambs. However this meeting ends it will be amazing.

Kantaki
2015-06-20, 09:14 AM
New chapter. I really don't like the way Sy describes this place. Lillians input doesn't make it better. It sounds worse than Radham.

The interesting part is that there are no uniforms and that they use their creations to show their rank instead. And this is a Academy for girls only? I wonder if this is the norm and places like Radham, where they teach both men and women, are the exeption or if this place is some kind of relic from older days.

The fact that they have to do leg work again and that they have no leads so far, to the point that the Academy basically tells them to return seems to put a lot of strain on the Lambs. It seems they need action to function well. Well lets hope they get it before they break apart. It seems that both Gordon and Sylvester noticed and have plans to counteract. I just hope Sly doesn't have to cause trouble for the Lambs to solve - that could end very bad for everyone. But what is Gordons plan? Whom does he want to recruit and to what end?

At least the run in with the "angel" shows that they can still laugh with each other. And their thoughts went pretty much in the same way as mine. No not really, as funny as Helens comment was, my initial reaction was " please tell me it is not functional".

Landis963
2015-06-20, 10:40 AM
Helen describing it as "it's so cute!" right after Sy's lavish description of it looking like a suburb of Hansel and Gretel houses was rather amusing as well.

IthilanorStPete
2015-06-20, 11:26 AM
I like that there's some tension growing in the group; it makes for a good way to develop their characters further and explore some of the different relationships.

Landis963
2015-06-20, 01:30 PM
I like that there's some tension growing in the group; it makes for a good way to develop their characters further and explore some of the different relationships.

Starting, of course, with Gordon, who's gotten the least amount of character stuff thus far. With the possible exception of Helen.

Kantaki
2015-06-23, 09:22 AM
New chapter. The recruitment was impressive. Sy and Gordon make a great team. I wonder if there really is a bounty or if that was bluff. And it seems Ms. Fray has made her move as well. Even worse she is several turns ahead. Their medicine should be a good incentive to for the Lambs to stay peaceful. Or to make them escalate this.

Mary and Jamie don't seem to work well as a team. Lets hope this won't cause trouble for the Lambs. Well the cliffhanger means they might keep the team together instead of splitting up again.

Landis963
2015-06-23, 11:36 AM
New chapter. The recruitment was impressive. Sy and Gordon make a great team. I wonder if there really is a bounty or if that was bluff. And it seems Ms. Fray has made her move as well. Even worse she is several turns ahead. Their medicine should be a good incentive to for the Lambs to stay peaceful. Or to make them escalate this.

Mary and Jamie don't seem to work well as a team. Lets hope this won't cause trouble for the Lambs. Well the cliffhanger means they might keep the team together instead of splitting up again.

In general terms of team cohesion, though, this is good. Fray has cast herself as the antagonist, which gives the Lambs something to band together against. And Sy can work with that.

Lost Demiurge
2015-06-23, 12:56 PM
Fray's upped the ante, too. The Lambs are on a timer now, and this is gonna get messy. Can't wait to see how it shakes out!

Landis963
2015-06-23, 01:40 PM
Fray's upped the ante, too. The Lambs are on a timer now, and this is gonna get messy. Can't wait to see how it shakes out!

Technically, they were already on a timer. It's just that it's gotten drastically shorter now.

Kantaki
2015-06-25, 10:38 AM
New chapter.

The consequences if the Lambs don't get their pills sound unpleasant. Well lets hope they find a way to avoid them. Right now I would say the chances look good.
Why doesn't it surprise me that Sy tried to run away? The best part is that everyone jokes about the idea of Sylvester passing as a bioweapon and suddenly he says that he had planned something like that. His motivation to come back is interesting. It makes me think that Fray could offer a very good deal if she wants to hire the Lambs (or at least Sy).
The whelps can clone themself. Great. And they can find you everywhere once you have their blood on you. Thats even better. Those things sound really nice. At least Sylvester seems to like them
The Lambs' plan to get new pills could have gone better. Ms. Frays plan on the other hand seems to work perfectly. She even gets to talk to the Lamb she wanted. And she knows who Sylvester is. Has she that much Information about the Lambs or does she know who he is due to the Wyvern progamm? Can't wait for the next chapter. Sy versus Fray should be fun.

Landis963
2015-06-25, 01:08 PM
You know those infamously angry chickens in Legend of Zelda? It strikes me that the whelps are not unlike them.

Kantaki
2015-06-25, 02:29 PM
You know those infamously angry chickens in Legend of Zelda? It strikes me that the whelps are not unlike them.

That will be the next generation of whelps. Near invulnerable, selfreplicating bloodhounds sound like a great upgrade.
That idea is horrifying now that I think about it. Not that the Academy would be that... no unfortunately they would do that. I mean it sounds like a great idea at first. Then something goes wrong.

Kantaki
2015-06-27, 09:56 AM
New chapter. Fray and Sy have a conservation. Well Ms. Fray has a conservation, Sylvester seeks for a trap.

There is a lot of information in this chapter. Among other things there is an Academy that uses a Dr. Jeckyll serum on its soldiers. Far more interesting is that Sy doesn't want to work with Ms. Fray because he believes in the Academy and its work. Well it seems she is willing to wait for him to change his mind. I think I will do the same. Sooner or later there will be a reason for the Lambs to change sides.

What we hear about the process to become a professor tells us a lot about the Academy. It makes sense that they sort out candidates that lack the qualities they need. But I think Ms. Fray was a bit to competent for their tastes. From her description you need to be ruthless to proceed through the tests. Maybe someone felt threatened by her. Or she wasn't as diplomatic as she and Sy think and someone felt insulted by something she said. Another option is that the other guy was more competent than she thought.

The needles make me wonder what other little tricks Ms. Fray can use. I doubt we have seen every upgrade she has given herself and her minions.

Landis963
2015-06-27, 10:41 AM
New chapter. Fray and Sy have a conservation. Well Ms. Fray has a conservation, Sylvester seeks for a trap.

There is a lot of information in this chapter. Among other things there is an Academy that uses a Dr. Jeckyll serum on its soldiers. Far more interesting is that Sy doesn't want to work with Ms. Fray because he believes in the Academy and its work. Well it seems she is willing to wait for him to change his mind. I think I will do the same. Sooner or later there will be a reason for the Lambs to change sides.

What we hear about the process to become a professor tells us a lot about the Academy. It makes sense that they sort out candidates that lack the qualities they need. But I think Ms. Fray was a bit to competent for their tastes. From her description you need to be ruthless to proceed through the tests. Maybe someone felt threatened by her. Or she wasn't as diplomatic as she and Sy think and someone felt insulted by something she said. Another option is that the other guy was more competent than she thought.

The needles make me wonder what other little tricks Ms. Fray can use. I doubt we have seen every upgrade she has given herself and her minions.

Maybe, but I think we've seen most everything. Those subcutaneous needles could have all sorts of chems inside, especially if the cartridge can be replaced easily. Her octopus thing has a lot of tensile strength. And she has two allies that we know of, Warren the Hulk and Wendy. She can do quite a lot with those, especially with a writer whose seminal work involved someone who built a crime empire with nothing but bug powers.

Kantaki
2015-06-27, 11:21 AM
Its possible that we saw all weaponized upgrades. I even think more of those are unlikely. But thanks to Warren we know that fixing bad eyesight can be done with a simple injection. Maybe they used this to improve their senses. I know that I would give myself supersenses. Not to mention defensive stuff like Sys poison resistance. And even if we have seen everything its still fun to speculate.

Regarding the tentacles, any idea what they are? An implanted bodypart? A symbiotic creature? A trained pet? Fray seems to control it lke a limb but who knows how she does it.

Landis963
2015-06-27, 01:26 PM
Regarding the tentacles, any idea what they are? An implanted bodypart? A symbiotic creature? A trained pet? Fray seems to control it lke a limb but who knows how she does it.

Little of column B, little of column C. It's an octopus thing she dubbed "Dolores" and trained with sugar cubes. Her first self-directed project, IIRC. This is all from the Boil snippet, the broad strokes of which appear to be canon in Twig.

Kantaki
2015-06-30, 06:41 AM
New chapter.

Gordon channels Gibbs to keep the Lambs in check. Not that it helps much. All this bickering, and it will only get worse.

The cake scene was was amusing. From Sy insisting on eating some bespite feeling sick because it is chocolate cake to Helens surprising love for it - both stealing Jamies cake and insisting on finishing her own - the whole thing was fun to read.

Sy analyzing Fray and her plan based on the things she didn't do is impressive. Lets hope for the Lambs sake that a eighty percent chance is enough to win there. If this goes wrong they are doomed. Especially if they mange to survive.

Gordon would have taken the deal? I guess he lacks whatever faith Sy has in the Academy. Or he doesn' want to die young.

And I am not sure I understand the whole thing with the pills right. The Academy put a special kind of sugar in their experiments and if that stuff dissolves the experiment does the same?

Landis963
2015-06-30, 03:39 PM
And I am not sure I understand the whole thing with the pills right. The Academy put a special kind of sugar in their experiments and if that stuff dissolves the experiment does the same?

No, it's a buildup of either the sugar to lethal levels, and the pills have some enzyme that breaks it down, or the enzyme is already present in the experiments and it's the fuel that's in the pills/rain. I think. I'll have to reread once I'm off work.

Lamech
2015-06-30, 05:31 PM
I think the Lamb's analysis of Fray is wrong. I think she's trying to recruit the Lambs here, and she isn't providing the Academy with a fun distraction. She does NOT in fact have a reason to stay other than the Lambs themselves, which can be determined by how she changed her mind when she saw them. I think a much better way to get Academy attention would have been to kill Sy or kill all the Lambs. Stolen Lab + Killing instead of running? I think that would send a pretty clear message something is different/important about this place. Then she disappears on the train and laughs as the totally unaware

Also notice that Fray and The Headsman went out of their way to keep the Lambs alive and unharmed? The Headsman warned about the explosive smoke and Fray gave Sy her coat.

Kantaki
2015-07-01, 12:41 PM
No, it's a buildup of either the sugar to lethal levels, and the pills have some enzyme that breaks it down, or the enzyme is already present in the experiments and it's the fuel that's in the pills/rain. I think. I'll have to reread once I'm off work.

If I get it right the pills are supposed to prevent the glucose-chains in the Lambs bodys from unraveling. The way Lilian phrased it it sounds like the glucose-chains breaking down would cause the body to do the same.

Landis963
2015-07-01, 01:25 PM
If I get it right the pills are supposed to prevent the glucose-chains in the Lambs bodys from unraveling. The way Lilian phrased it it sounds like the glucose-chains breaking down would cause the body to do the same.

That... Doesn't sound very scientifically sound. I'm fairly certain glucose doesn't do that.

Kantaki
2015-07-02, 09:03 AM
That... Doesn't sound very scientifically sound. I'm fairly certain glucose doesn't do that.

I'm fairly certain that it makes more sense than most of the other stuff the Academy does. Lillian says the experiments are impregnated with modified glucose-chains and that they are the reason they take the pills. Then she says that Sys body will break down if Fray found a way to unravel them. Don't ask me how it works I'm not a mad scientist.

Aunt Edith says: Could it mean that Lillian means starch? If I remember my biology classes right it consist of glucose-chains. And if they are integrated into the cells or modified to be harmful the body breaking them down could have those pleasant effects she described. And considering their bio-tech can fix eyes and cause cosmetic changes with a simple injection it sounds within the Academies possibilities to do this.

Kantaki
2015-07-04, 10:41 AM
New chapter.

The Lambs last chance to leave has passed. Now they can only win or die. I think that might even be a advantage for them.

It is nice to see that the Lambs can still work as a perfect team. That and the fact that they got a lead on their target are good news.
The bad News? The Radham Children start to get famous. That could complicate their work a bit or at least force them to change their modus operandi.

Its interesting that Sy thinks that Lady Claire isn't in danger from Ms. Fray. It fits what we have seen so far but I hope that he is right when he thinks so. Otherwise the Lambs might get in trouble. The same goes for "We have the drop on her, this time around.", that sounds a little bit as if Sy is tempting fate.

Lamech
2015-07-04, 01:57 PM
It would definitively be possible to have breakdown of modified Glucose chains kill someone horribly. Seriously, there are various signaling molecules that trigger cells to die.

Kantaki
2015-07-07, 08:46 AM
New chapter.

Well so much for the infiltration. Sneaking time is over.

Helen is a great character. Very scary and yet funny. Chocolate cake is a biological imperative? I think no one will disagree with her on this one. Unless they want her to follow that other imperative.

Sylvester comparing his teams physical appearance is very informative. The most interesting part is that he has missed a growth spurt or two. I wonder if that is connected to the Wyvern formula.

And we have another moment that implies that Sy likes Lillian far more than he wants to admit. That he tries to annoy her all the time doesn't make it better. Wasn't there a proverb about this kind of behavior?

Landis963
2015-07-07, 10:40 AM
Seriously, who actually thought they wouldn't be busted for longer than a chapter?

And Sy's inability to remember learning to ride a bike would be funny if it weren't so sad.

Kantaki
2015-07-11, 05:52 PM
New chapter.

The Lambs prove once more that they are really good at this kind of game. Unfortunately Genevive is better. Deflecting some of the accusations against her by being honest about those that are true, being prepared for all the Lambs at once and according to herself her plan is already in motion. Nothing that should surprise the reader but it is impressive. I just want to know what her plan entails.

The way the Lambs talk about Warren is telling. Calling him an it and a experiment shows that they seem view him as a thing and maybe as nonsapient. Maybe it is just a lack of information but I think it is a big mistake.

I'm still not sure what think about Wendy. She seems just to „alive” compared to other Stiched. And I don't think that's only Frays work, she seemed already off before she and Warren met her. It definitely makes the way she is treated in this chapter worse. I feel with her. The poor girl needs a hug.

I think what makes villains like Fray so dangerous is that they are honest. I have no doubt that hasn't said anything that isn't true and yet every word out of her mouth served to misguide the Lambs regarding her goals.
That she seems to be both well intentioned and... „good” for lack of better word only makes her more dangerous.

Regarding the bike-thing: I can feel with Sy there. Even without a messed up memory riding a bicycle is hard enough.

Kantaki
2015-07-14, 07:47 AM
New chapter.

I like the new banner. It is really creepy but I think that makes it only better.

Great, the Lambs are running again. Sometimes they could need more firepower.
And I still think that Fray is not lying, unlike the Lambs the manipulates those around her by being honest. On the one hand that makes her more dangerous, on the other hand it makes her trustworthy.
Compared to her the Lambs are incredible ruthless. After the stunt Sy pulled with the poor Wendy I really hope they fail this mission.

And I really want to know what exactly was done with Wendy that makes her so human. It is so easy to forget that she is basically the same as the undead-flesh-robot every one uses as a working force.

Landis963
2015-07-14, 01:47 PM
New chapter.

I like the new banner. It is really creepy but I think that makes it only better.

Great, the Lambs are running again. Sometimes they could need more firepower.
And I still think that Fray is not lying, unlike the Lambs the manipulates those around her by being honest. On the one hand that makes her more dangerous, on the other hand it makes her trustworthy.
Compared to her the Lambs are incredible ruthless. After the stunt Sy pulled with the poor Wendy I really hope they fail this mission.

And I really want to know what exactly was done with Wendy that makes her so human. It is so easy to forget that she is basically the same as the undead-flesh-robot every one uses as a working force.

I think Wendy's"human-ness" is mostly a function of her being built to be a personal servant. More of the brain would be left intact, or repaired, no alterations to body or mind, etc. Also Fray's clearly done some custom body modding to both of them.

Kantaki
2015-07-15, 10:41 AM
It makes sense that Wendy appears so human because she was made to interact with humans. Didn't the Doc who borrowed her to Warren say that she was some kind of new or special model of Stiched? I remember him saying that she needs clearer, sometimes repeated, orders compared to normal Stiched.

But that doesn't change the fact that Wendy's "human-ness" is stronger that that of some of the Lambs. Or most of the Academy staff for that matter.

The situation is similar to Worm where the character that felt most human was Dragon.

Kantaki
2015-07-18, 11:50 AM
New chapter.

Gordon is good in dealing with experiments? That's interesting. Sure we got to see it when they met Dog and Catcher but it didn't seem special at that point.

After the way Sy manipulated her in the last chapter it felt... nice how the Lambs threated Wendy in this update. They are still using her but they seem to be concerned about her wellbeing. They would still be willing to harm her if they needed to but it would be harder than it would be with a human.

And now Sy seems to have found out about Fray's plan. Even if she is well intentioned I shudder at the thought what she could have put into the water. I hope that the Lambs current strategy gets them a few steps ahead against her. I doubt that the girls they recruited will get their hands of the good Genevieve but I think they are primary a distraction. I wonder if they will get the promised reward.

Landis963
2015-07-18, 02:26 PM
New chapter.

Gordon is good in dealing with experiments? That's interesting. Sure we got to see it when they met Dog and Catcher but it didn't seem special at that point.

After the way Sy manipulated her in the last chapter it felt... nice how the Lambs threated Wendy in this update. They are still using her but they seem to be concerned about her wellbeing. They would still be willing to harm her if they needed to but it would be harder than it would be with a human.

And now Sy seems to have found out about Fray's plan. Even if she is well intentioned I shudder at the thought what she could have put into the water. I hope that the Lambs current strategy gets them a few steps ahead against her. I doubt that the girls they recruited will get their hands of the good Genevieve but I think they are primary a distraction. I wonder if they will get the promised reward.

It's something that, with the slightest veneer of legitimacy, could be construed as something to help the academy. Mass production of the Wyvern formula, something to do with Radham's chemical leashes, Heck, even a mutagen of basically any description that doesn't cause massive amounts of death would fit the bill. I'm not even certain Dame Cicely would have needed to know that it was being dumped in the water supply.

Kantaki
2015-07-18, 03:53 PM
It's something that, with the slightest veneer of legitimacy, could be construed as something to help the academy. Mass production of the Wyvern formula, something to do with Radham's chemical leashes, Heck, even a mutagen of basically any description that doesn't cause massive amounts of death would fit the bill. I'm not even certain Dame Cicely would have needed to know that it was being dumped in the water supply.

Considering what we have seen of the Academy so far helping it could mean forcing it to change ist methods. And while I have no doubts that Fray wouldn't do anything that would cause harm to a great number of people the Academy seems a bit less restrained in ist methods. Remember Mauer little rebellion? The first reaction to that was to wipe them out with overwhelming force.

To be clear, I would bet almost anything on Fray's plan resulting in something that is A) benevolent for many people and B) will be helpful for the Academy if it adapts to the changed situation. I just don't see the Academy actually doing so.
Well, maybe they will surprise me. Or Fray ends up being less "good" than she makes everyone - including herself - believe, but that would be far less surprising.

I wonder where the Lambs will stand if there is a war against the Academy.

Kantaki
2015-07-21, 10:05 AM
New chapter.

The worst part about Fray's plan is that I'm still on her side there. The things she set into motion are terrible but she is just triggering the Academies plan. Sure it is horrible for those her attack hit but this way they fight back. Especially since she handed out those flyers.
Everytime we learn more about the Academy they make looking Bonesaw like a improvement.

I wonder how the events will unfold from there. While the Academy can't undo this without hurting their longterm plans they can't afford a war against their own cities either. Another problem is that even i they undo it any treatment that is capable of undoing this risks to affect the experiments as well. Either way the Academy hurts itself.

Well whatever happens now two things should be certain, it will get very interesting and if there is a way for the Lambs to survive it they will find it.

Landis963
2015-07-21, 01:28 PM
New chapter.

The worst part about Fray's plan is that I'm still on her side there. The things she set into motion are terrible but she is just triggering the Academies plan. Sure it is horrible for those her attack hit but this way they fight back. Especially since she handed out those flyers.
Everytime we learn more about the Academy they make looking Bonesaw like a improvement.

I wonder how the events will unfold from there. While the Academy can't undo this without hurting their longterm plans they can't afford a war against their own cities either. Another problem is that even i they undo it any treatment that is capable of undoing this risks to affect the experiments as well. Either way the Academy hurts itself.

Well whatever happens now two things should be certain, it will get very interesting and if there is a way for the Lambs to survive it they will find it.

In addition, the very nature of the threat forces them to try and remove it. A population tied to their cities, but unable to reproduce? Even if no revolution breaks out from this (a laughable assumption), that leaves a declining populace without any hope of internal renewal or replenishing. That means the Academies would have to turn to outside sources for manpower, brainpower, and resources, and once word got out that there was no getting those people back, ever, in any way, shape, or form, those supplies would dry up PDQ. (I, for one, don't care how good the wages or how cushy the job is. If I'm going to get deathly ill on a visit to my friends and family, the job's not worth it.) As long as the threat remains unseen, Fray has turned each and every Academy she's hit from an asset into a liability to the Crown.

It's brilliant.

EDIT: Some people on the wordpress comment page noted that the birth control was something the Academy was keeping under wraps. Which means that Fray a) accelerated it early (Percy's "overgrowth" and Sy's wanting to play the opponent's turn for them, anyone?), and b) let the cat out of the bag on it. Which means that she wants civil war, Academy vs. People.

Lamech
2015-07-21, 09:19 PM
The sterilization is reversible. But since the Academy won't remove it I can only assume they are actually happy with Fray's work. :smalltongue: Good Girl Gina Fray. Helping the Academy move forward even when the Academy is actively trying to murder her.

Landis963
2015-07-22, 12:06 PM
The sterilization is reversible. But since the Academy won't remove it I can only assume they are actually happy with Fray's work. :smalltongue: Good Girl Gina Fray. Helping the Academy move forward even when the Academy is actively trying to murder her.

It's the "Mindslaver" principle at work (named after the M:tG card of the same name). I'd you can play an opponent's turn for them, you can screw them over in all sorts of ways. The way that Fray's taken involves jumping the gun on a step that they'd be loath to remove.

Kantaki
2015-07-23, 05:39 PM
The big problem for the Academy is that they can't undo what Fray has done without acting against their nature or against their long-term interests and that she made the whole mess public. I'm pretty sure they had something planned to make this look positive. Now they have to control the situation with obvious measures. And the result of that is a uprising.

New chapter.

Good news everybody. We are at the brink to a civil war. Several cities are already burning.

That doesn't look good for the Lambs. They lost the battle, Gordon almost left and all they have to show is Fray’s promise that she won't strike again for half a year. But she will gather her forces and recruit new allies. Let's hope the next meeting goes better for our protagonists and that the war isn't already decided.

Jamie’s assignments... That's far worse than anything I would have expected. In a sense he is immortal. If only in the sense that the next caterpillar will have all his experiences. But it shows once more that the Academy has to fall. But what should replace it? So far the enemy-factions aren't much better.

Lamech
2015-07-24, 02:23 PM
Canada? Mexico? Jamie after having his mind placed in its entirety and taking over? A collective of brains thinking together?

Or perhaps a number of experiments will stage a coup. I could see the academy creating some helper exeriment, say some peeps to do all the hard science, and then they get popular. What harm could they do, if you just make sure they suck at soft science? A few go rogue, but they don't have Academy knowledge so its not a threat.

Then nuclear hellfire rains down.

Kantaki
2015-07-25, 11:13 AM
New chapter.

The Academy has managed to get the riots under control.
But at the same time they were wiped out in at least one location.
And the enemies are gathering their forces. I wonder if Mauer will work with these guys. It is possible, enemy of my enemy and all that.
Fray on the other hand seems to play her own game. We will see how helpful that is for the rebellion.
If I read the end right they seem to have hired those run-away experiments. And they are going to meet... Helen? Should be fun. Can I place a bet?

And we got a glimpse at another Academy weapon. Hangman. Another nightmare of a creature. Why am I not surprised?

Landis963
2015-07-25, 12:43 PM
And we got a glimpse at another Academy weapon. Hangman. Another nightmare of a creature. Why am I not surprised?

Because everything the Academy does is a finely-tuned cocktail of disgusting and nightmarish. Even the frigging benign research is creepy: remember the bugs? The ones that can just as easily be laden with vaccines as they can with crowd-control poisons? Not to mention the Lambs, who are, let's be fair here, personify the paranoia that comes with "They look just like everyone else."

Kantaki
2015-07-28, 10:19 AM
New chapter.

Lillian must be desperate if she begs Sy to pull one of his stunts just to get away from this job.
Speaking of Lillian, she and Sy make a great couple. I just doubt that this will go anywhere.

And they dragged Gordon's crush into their mess? I wonder how that happened.

The annoying part is having to wait to see what will happen at the theatre. Considering Helen was already identified as a experiment Lillian might get her wish and Sy has to sow some chaos.

I just wonder how our protagonists will operate when they can't work undercover anymore.

Landis963
2015-07-28, 12:40 PM
New chapter.

Lillian must be desperate if she begs Sy to pull one of his stunts just to get away from this job.
Speaking of Lillian, she and Sy make a great couple. I just doubt that this will go anywhere.

And they dragged Gordon's crush into their mess? I wonder how that happened.

The annoying part is having to wait to see what will happen at the theatre. Considering Helen was already identified as a experiment Lillian might get her wish and Sy has to sow some chaos.

I just wonder how our protagonists will operate when they can't work undercover anymore.

Shipman was probably designated their handler for the mission, a la Lacey and Cecil back during the Shepherd arc.

Also, Helen's cover's already blown, so it's only a matter of time before all h**l breaks loose.

In addition, I'm not certain how exactly the propaganda plan will work - How exactly will they whitewash, for instance, Helen's file? Or Sy's? Helen can already pull a mean "bubbly socialite-in-training," and blowing that particular trick won't help in the slightest, not to mention the fact that she looks human but is demonstrably not. Sy, for his part, can be a social chameleon with a penchant for those roles that put him beneath notice when he puts in the effort, and when he doesn't he can be cutting, cruel, and downright vindictive to anyone between him and his target. Gordon can be billed as the "leader," Lillian as the "second-in-command," Jamie as the "brains," but Helen and Sy are not so easily forced into "heroic" roles.

Kantaki
2015-07-30, 01:00 PM
New chapter

The interaction between Sy and Jamie shows again what makes the Academy so horrible. Their modifications make them a great team, but at the same time they would be in trouble without the other.

Sly’s little gambit to get a free meal was amusing. I kind of expected a more malevolent goal there. Something chaotic to cause a distraction.

I have to agree with choosing the roomful of academy-hating mad-men over confronting the unknown Experiment directly.
The sad thing is that this means the calm before the storm is over.

It seems that the Lambs were given free hand for this mission. I have a bad feeling about that. There is a lot that can go wrong with that. Are they intended as a sacrifice? Maybe using them for propaganda-purposes involves their deaths?
Shipman is involved because Gordon requested her assistance. Oh well, let him spend some time with his crush. It's not like he has much left.

The list of people that joined the rebellion makes me think they might be even worse than the status quo. I mean if the Academy didn't keep them they are either ruthless or incompetent enough that they shouldn't ever be allowed to be anywhere close to anything mad science related.

Landis963
2015-07-31, 05:54 PM
Also, I'm fairly certain that "Mr. Pock" is Percy the Puppeteer.

Kantaki
2015-08-05, 10:38 AM
The romance-ploy was a great idea. And it even worked. Mostly. They still have to worry about the experiments that are hunting them.

Of course they plan their strategy while eating cake. And having a philosophical discussion. Neither Sy's nor Jamie's points of view are very surprising. Helen on the other hand... I have to agree with the Boys, to much information. Still, Helen is my favorite character. Being nice to get more cake? I can understand that.

Well, the ending of the chapter is one of the worst kinds of ending. A cliffhanger that makes you worry about the characters.

Lost Demiurge
2015-08-05, 02:14 PM
Yep, things are getting real now. Although a part of me wonders... Just how much of this is Sy's plan?

Probably not the shooting, but I have a hunch that they weren't as clandestine as they could have been, in order to lure a hunting party out...

Kantaki
2015-08-05, 03:20 PM
Yep, things are getting real now. Although a part of me wonders... Just how much of this is Sy's plan?

Probably not the shooting, but I have a hunch that they weren't as clandestine as they could have been, in order to lure a hunting party out...

I'm not entirely convinced that Sylvester has a plan right now.

Sure, it seems unlikely he planned to get shot, but remember what happened during the mission against the „Snakecharmer”? Sy is perfectly fine with allowing himself to get hurt when it helps his plans.

Kantaki
2015-08-11, 09:37 AM
New chapter.

That could have gone better. Our protagonists are more or less (less in the case of Sy's Team) fine and they managed to trigger their part of the plan. So far so good. Unfortunantly team Gordon wasn't done with the preperations and the Academy's part will be delayed or missing. Oh, and the enemy might know about it because Sy warned the enemy experiment to save his teammates.
On the other hand, considering the philosophy of this opponent she might only save her team. As sad this "cats and dogs and lizards"-worldview is and as much it prevented Sy from doing his thing it could prove to be just as problematic for the rebellion.

Landis963
2015-08-15, 09:28 AM
New Chapter:

The commanding officer (a Brigadier) has a severe overdose of confidence, to the point that he's not going to follow through on the spider thing. Despite the Lamb's specific report advising a swift attack to take advantage. I actually sympathise with Sy's strong urges to hurt the Brigadier, if only because he's tossing all their efforts out the window. I mean, why send them out there in the first place if there wasn't going to be any support? Of course, this overconfidence (and the lax security elsewhere on the base) means that Sy and Gordon, at least, are starting to plot an assassination attempt, if only to get someone more competent in charge. Which I guess means we can start speculating on the murder weapon. I'm guessing either blaming it on one of the Humours, or adapting Shipman's spiders to be more lethal, and pretending that the insurgents pulled the "It only works once" trick on the Academy.

Kantaki
2015-08-15, 02:05 PM
I think Sy's thoughts on the question why they were sent out are close to the truth. It is a joke at their (and Hayle's) expense. Give them something to do that won't matter at all.

The treason Gordon and Sy have in mind is either a assassination or they want to get out of this mess. The former seem more fitting, considering the way the Lambs tend to act.

Blaming the enemy assassins seems a quicker option than modifying the spiders. I doubt they want to take the time for that kind of work. No, I think the good mister Tylor get to experience the effectiveness of the exorcist.

What did Helen mean with "two of us can't drink"? I hope she means alcohol or the injuries but knowing the Academy anything is possible.

My favorite moment in this chapter was Mary showing off her weapon-hiding-skill.

Landis963
2015-08-15, 03:51 PM
I think Sy's thoughts on the question why they were sent out are close to the truth. It is a joke at their (and Hayle's) expense. Give them something to do that won't matter at all.

Which makes it all the more galling when it does matter. The Academy didn't know about the Humours, they didn't know about the not-stitched, they didn't know about the exorcist rifles, they didn't know about the appallingly large number of Academy defectors all concentrated in Whitney. None of that intel would have made it out of Whitney if it weren't for the Lambs, and they dismiss it all out of hand. There's confidence, and then there's hubris.

I reserve a great deal of respect for the smart, competent villain, perhaps more than I should, and the Academy patently isn't.

Kantaki
2015-08-15, 04:21 PM
The problem is that the Academy/the Crown didn't have to worry about the enemy's abilities for a long time. They never lose after all. I think this conflict might prove to be a reminder of the difference between "never losing" and always winning". Let's hope that this lection won't be fatal. Well, not for the Lambs at least - the Academy and the Crown have to change or to die. Not that there is a difference, not with the amount of change necessary.

Maybe the Academy was a smart kind of villain in the past, they had to be to take over most of the world, but now they are a huge moloch that relies on the methods that it knows will work.
Using Hayle's silly little project to scout the enemy's position and to deploy psychological weapon doesn't require a change of the usual strategy . Acting on the information they get and using them to attack would mean a completely new strategy, with is risky.
Why take a unnecessary risk instead of doing it the way it was always done - and always worked? Is that smart? No, but from the inside it looks like it is.

Lamech
2015-08-16, 04:33 PM
Well remember what Sy thought, if they attacked they would lose. Whitney had a trump card. Getting slaughtered in the field, and letting the enemy take your undefended position is a hell of a lot worse than putting up a good fight at your fortified position. There aren't any good options when your opponent has an unknown trump. Sitting around while the rebellion smolders and your enemy entrenches isn't good either, but I bet Sy's plan would have been a catastrophe.

On that note: I wonder what they mean by treason? The obvious is murder the leader, but that's less treason and more helping. Joining Fray would be treasonous, but how could they do that? Looking forward to tomorrows update!

Landis963
2015-08-16, 06:20 PM
Well remember what Sy thought, if they attacked they would lose. Whitney had a trump card. Getting slaughtered in the field, and letting the enemy take your undefended position is a hell of a lot worse than putting up a good fight at your fortified position. There aren't any good options when your opponent has an unknown trump. Sitting around while the rebellion smolders and your enemy entrenches isn't good either, but I bet Sy's plan would have been a catastrophe.

On that note: I wonder what they mean by treason? The obvious is murder the leader, but that's less treason and more helping. Joining Fray would be treasonous, but how could they do that? Looking forward to tomorrows update!

Murder of a military officer, of your own side, during a war? Heck yeah that's treason. Good point on the general being leery of overextending, though it still seems really foolhardy to not take advantage of an opportunity such as "a terror weapon was just unleashed on the enemy."

IthilanorStPete
2015-08-16, 07:02 PM

It's one thing to decide to sit back in the fortified position (which makes sense in a vacuum), it's quite another to blithely assume that the enemy isn't going to do anything you don't expect. The Brigadier is neglecting the Lambs' intel about the exorcist guns, the augmented assassins, the many ex-Academy scientists, leading to a lack of flexibility that will probably be his downfall.

Kantaki
2015-08-18, 10:09 AM
New chapter.

It seems that the assassination was only plan B and defecting if things go wrong was plan C.
Plan A was to kidnap? blackmail? poison the Brigadier to disable him and give orders in his place.

Since the majority of the Lambs - himself included - deem this to risky Sy decides to play a game with Mr. Tylor instead, the wager being his teams influence on the battle plan. I doubt that this is his true goal. I think he wants to convince Brigardier Tylor that his team's input is too useful to ignore.

Regarding Gordon: So that's what he meant when he told Wendy that they are similar. He is more or less a super advanced Stiched and now he is afraid that he is falling apart. But Sy can reassure him, Gordon isn't falling apart- not yet.

Landis963
2015-08-20, 08:50 AM
New Chapter: During one of the Lambs' conferences, the next attack comes (from the direction Sy predicted it would come, no less). However, we quickly see the genius of their opponent: Not only was "Phlegm" turned into a stitched so that if it was killed they'd relax their guard, but the actual assassin was smuggled in with the remaining Academy stitched and the dead. Of course, Sy decided to check the bodies, so that put paid to that. 2 down, 2 (or maybe 3) to go.

The problem, as always, is the fact that now Cynthia will know her plans have gone awry, or will know once it comes time for the assassin to alert her.

Kantaki
2015-08-20, 10:01 AM
Well, that should give the Lambs a bit more influence when it comes to the strategy. And it means two assassins less they have to worry about.

But did the Rebellion seriously try the old Troian Horse trick? That is kind of insulting for the Academy forces. Yes I know, without the Lambs it would have worked. Still, I thought Cynthia had a rough idea about the kids abilities.

Helen is delightfully creepy as usual and leaves all the Lambs completly confused. Maybe someone should tell her that you don't use psychological warfare against her own team.
The Lambs are her team, right? And why did she ask about the babys?

Landis963
2015-08-20, 11:27 AM
But did the Rebellion seriously try the old Trojan Horse trick? That is kind of insulting for the Academy forces. Yes I know, without the Lambs it would have worked. Still, I thought Cynthia had a rough idea about the kids abilities.

Hey, it does work occasionally, as a plan Other-Than-A. To wit, the series finale of Leverage.

Kantaki
2015-08-20, 05:36 PM
Hey, it does work occasionally, as a plan Other-Than-A. To wit, the series finale of Leverage.

Sure, it can work but usually it is a last resort sort of plan and it relies on the opponent not knowing and/or recognizing the trick or not expecting you to be that stupid/desperate. I'm pretty sure the Rebellion isn't that far down their list of plans.

I think the thought process of the Rebellion was kind of like that: „Only a complete idiot would use a Troian Horse ploy against a halfway intelligent enemy.” „Well, since we aren't idiots the Academy will never expect it.”

To be honest, had it worked I would have made fun of the Crown for falling to the oldest trick in the book. And to be fair, it would have worked if it weren't for the Lambs. But it didn't work and the Lambs were a known factor and that means I get to make fun of the antagonists.:smallbiggrin:

Lamech
2015-08-20, 08:21 PM
We can say it didn't work when the bodies don't all suddenly rise from the dead and attack the Academy.

Another worrisome thought: If the plague soldiers are veterans they also might have been the first run. What if the second run doesn't have the obvious defects?

Landis963
2015-08-21, 01:31 AM
Sure, it can work but usually it is a last resort sort of plan and it relies on the opponent not knowing and/or recognizing the trick or not expecting you to be that stupid/desperate. I'm pretty sure the Rebellion isn't that far down their list of plans.

Could be a deliberate contingency to get Brigadier Tylor to underestimate them, if the assassin was captured that early in his mission. (No I don't think she quite gets how smart Sy is on his own, and how scary smart the gestalt is as a whole, why do you ask?) In any event, that isn't how the assassins are actually planned to infiltrate Westmore, if Sy's predictions continue to hold true. Climbing up the mineshaft Westmore uses as a sewer system, scaling the walls while the occupants are distracted by an attack, anything and everything could be a possible point of entry. Which brings up the Brig's point regarding overextension.

Kantaki
2015-08-22, 10:53 AM
New chapter.

During the autopsy of the two assassins Lillian and Sy troll Academy doctors, Shipman is afraid of poisonous gas and the doctors confirm what the Lambs already knew.

The Rebellion realized that there was a change in the leadership of the Academy-forces and now they start feeling them out. Let's hope it doesn't work too well. And that our protagonists aren't wrong there.

Looking back at the Lambs first contact with Cynthia Sy's impression on a hunting dog seems fitting. And I just realized that that sentence is non-sense because the first contact (like everything) was from Sy's point of view.

Landis963
2015-08-22, 02:20 PM
Looking back at the Lambs first contact with Cynthia Sy's impression on a hunting dog seems fitting. And I just realized that that sentence is non-sense because the first contact (like everything) was from Sy's point of view.

Looking back at the Enemy chapter, however, bears Sy's analysis out pretty well, I'd say.

She’d come here to fight.

This, surrounded with people she couldn’t trust, was her medium.

Every time she’d faced this kind of situation in the past, everyone else had ended up bleeding or dead.

Kantaki
2015-08-23, 05:08 PM
That quote gives more the impression of a wild or rabid dog than a hunting dog.
And rereading what Sylvester said that impression is a bit closer to what he actually said. „Snarling dog” was his word choice.

Not the kind of person you want have against you in a fight, or with you or in command of your entire forces. No, Cythia strikes me as a person you point at a problem before jumping behind cover.

I mean everyone else ending up hurt or dead sounds suspiciously like it tends includes allies.

Kantaki
2015-08-25, 09:55 AM
New chapter.

The order and chaos discussion of the Lambs aside, the situation is getting more serious.

The enemies are storming the gate, the man with the eyes is taking out the specialists, leaving the Stitched without commands, the fourth assassin is near the gate and the augmented Rebellion troops are immune to the Academies biological weapons.

This is more or less the exact opposide of a situation the Lambs are suited for. Let's see how they solve it.

Kantaki
2015-08-27, 07:52 AM
New chapter.

Autsch, Pain bullets are a horrible idea. But it is nice to see that (at least some of) the Rebellion troops have a conscience, are capable of mercy. Unfortunatly the Lambs aren't.

Well, it seems the Academy lost this battle, the only open question is how cathastrophic the loss will be. And how much of it will fall back on the Lambs.

Lamech
2015-08-27, 08:36 PM
I think the Lambs have firmly joined team evil with this latest stunt.

Kantaki
2015-08-28, 06:04 AM
I think the Lambs have firmly joined team evil with this latest stunt.

It could be argued that they acted to defend their lifes since there was a pretty high Chance they would have been be executed if they hadn't acted this way.

And firmly joined team evil? Which one? There are three or four at this point. I would question the joined part as well, since they were already part of team evil from the very beginning.

Kantaki
2015-09-01, 05:50 AM
New chapter.

Well, that was that. The Lambs are still alive, the important guys got out of Westmore, Gordon's relationship with Shipman is over (at least Sy thinks so) and Westmore has fallen.

Now our protagonists are off to kill Cynthia. I wonder what will go wrong there.

And I know I repeat myself, but for someone who isn't interested in romance Sy get's a lot of shipping Options in this chaper it's Mary's turn again. But I think the only relationship that will have a happy end is Helen and cake.

Qwertystop
2015-09-01, 07:07 AM
Eh. Somehow I've been increasingly unable till follow the thread of all this... Feels rather like the end of Pact that way, just can't help skimming over large chunks when I try to read it.

Kantaki
2015-09-05, 11:07 AM
New (enemy) chapter.

Sanguine is a fascinating character. I hope we will see more of him. And the Lambs are classified as a superweapon now.:smallamused: About time.

Well, it seems that even if Cynthia survives the Lambs dealt some damage to her and the Rebellion. Several comanders and professors assassinated, one of the leaders either dead or heavily scarred... I think the Crown really doesn't loose.

The bad news are that Sanguine plans a Lamb-hunt now and that Cynthia might take this a bit personal.

Who wants to bet that Sy firebombed Cynthia because he assessed her similar to the way Sanguine did? Trying to kill her in a way that scars her both physically and by targeting her ego should she survive seems very fitting to our little dragon. Not that I expect that he wanted her dead.

Lamech
2015-09-06, 03:13 AM
Immortal Soldiers. Not immunized soldiers. You don't call people immortal if they can't take a knife. I guess the Lambs will have a witness to the whole pretend to be injured and murder the doctor dealeo. And the fake surrender dealeo. Oops.

Kantaki
2015-09-06, 06:34 AM
Immortal Soldiers. Not immunized soldiers. You don't call people immortal if they can't take a knife. I guess the Lambs will have a witness to the whole pretend to be injured and murder the doctor dealeo. And the fake surrender dealeo. Oops.

Eh, immortal doesn't mean they can't be killed. They certainly are immune to the Academy's biological and chemical weapons and they might be able to survive a bit more mundane damade than a soldier without their Augmentation, but I really doubt that the guy the Lambs tried to kill when they did the "we are hurt lttle children" stunt is alive. Mary and Gordon are more careful than that and they did start this lttle fire afterwards.

I think those guys are called immortal soldiers because hard to kill soldiers sounds less impressive.

Kantaki
2015-09-08, 08:53 AM
New chapter.

Well, that was it for Gordon's and Shipman's relationship.

Sy can say that he isn't interested in girls (yet) and that he does't like Lillian as much as he wants, but I think it is telling that his first thoughts went to getting (something) under her clothes.

The Academy is doing something with orphans? On a large scale? Considering the Lambs seem to be friendly with those kids I don't think this will end well for those responsible.

Landis963
2015-09-08, 10:26 AM
New chapter.

Well, that was it for Gordon's and Shipman's relationship.

Sy can say that he isn't interested in girls (yet) and that he does't like Lillian as much as he wants, but I think it is telling that his first thoughts went to getting (something) under her clothes.

The Academy is doing something with orphans? On a large scale? Considering the Lambs seem to be friendly with those kids I don't think this will end well for those responsible.

It's probably testing for whatever "Project" Evette or Ashton are coming out of. That or mass-producing teams of Lambs. The former could engender some lovely conflicting loyalties in Sy, the latter, perhaps not so much.

Kantaki
2015-09-08, 10:39 AM
It's probably testing for whatever "Project" Evette or Ashton are coming out of. That or mass-producing teams of Lambs. The former could engender some lovely conflicting loyalties in Sy, the latter, perhaps not so much.

Whatever the reason is, I think the Lambs will work against the Academy in some way in this Arc. And it will cost them something.

Somehow I hope that massproduction of the Lambs or something similar is the reason for the disappeared children.It would be a excellent reason for Sy (and the other but Sy is the one who has faith in the Academy) to change sides and prototype-Lambs vs. massproduced Lambs sounds like a great confrontation.

SlyGuyMcFly
2015-09-12, 04:57 AM
No action this chapter but some very nice character writing. The Sy/Mary ship has taken some serious damage though. This makes me sad.

Kantaki
2015-09-12, 09:34 AM
Sure, It doesn’t look like Mary/Sy is a likely pairing right now - not that any pairing involving Sylvester is likely - but it is nice to see Sy cares that much about his family’s happiness. But he is far more interested in girls than he wants to admit. And I think „You like Gordon more” is not what Mary wanted to hear.
Lillian likes being teased? That explains why she hasn't tried to make Sy shut up yet.

Mary and Sy calling each other „doof” is... odd. It fits the way they are bickering, but it still feels odd.

Kantaki
2015-09-19, 04:41 AM
New chapter.

Well, it seems Mary will get a chance to face her maker. I hope that doesn't end badly.
Mr. Percy’s new clones first reminded me of Helen. I hope that is a coincidence. Not that those exist.

The Lambs get to meet Sephiroth the Duke. My first impression was „Kill it with fire”. That changed during his scene.
Now it is „Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure”.
Right now I really hope he doesn't live to the end of the story arc.

Interesting that the Crown is that inhuman, that they are altered this much. It makes me wonder who is controling whom there. I mean in the Academy’s place I would have installed control-switches during those alterations.

Helen’s anecdote about the incident during her creation is both amusing and horrifying.

Lamech
2015-09-19, 10:31 AM
New chapter.

Well, it seems Mary will get a chance to face her maker. I hope that doesn't end badly.
Mr. Percy’s new clones first reminded me of Helen. I hope that is a coincidence.

The Lambs get to meet Sephiroth the Duke. My first impression was „Kill it with fire”. Not that those exist.
That changed during his scene.
Now it is „Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure”.
Right now I really hope he doesn't live to the end of the story arc.

Interesting that the Crown is that inhuman, that they are altered this much. It makes me wonder who is controling whom there. I mean in the Academy’s place I would have installed control-switches during those alterations.

Helen’s anecdote about the incident during her creation is both amusing and horrifying.
I note that the crown doesn't seem to have enhanced intelligence. When he was listing off his traits "pretty clever" wasn't among them.

Kantaki
2015-09-19, 12:26 PM
I note that the crown doesn't seem to have enhanced intelligence. When he was listing off his traits "pretty clever" wasn't among them.

Well, maybe, just maybe he is clever enough not to advertise his cleverness.:smallamused: or the Academy really is in charge and doesn't want the Crown to realize it.

The description of the Duke reminds me more of a experiment than a "normal" human. If that is the norm among aristocrats I doubt they even have regular cleverness.

Kantaki
2015-09-26, 11:13 AM
New chapter.

Well, the confrontation with the Mary Mark 2's could have gone better. Fortunatly they lack the original's throwing ability. Still, they do qualify as a superweapon.

Sy needs his drugs. I hope the withdrawal symtoms won't hinder him too much. It seems without Wyvern he starts to acknowledge his feelings. In a less dire situation this would be really amusing.

Speaking of Mary:smallbiggrin:, I wonder if she will be fine. And hopefully Gordon and Dog will play cavalery and not dead bodies.

Kantaki
2015-10-01, 11:08 AM
New chapter.

There are more Percy/Ghosts teams running around? That is not good. They have a mole inside the Academy? That's worse. The Lambs have to talk to Sephiroth the Duke (and Ibott) again? That will not end well.

On a more positive note this chapter has a lot of shipping again.

Interesting that Lil seems to be interested in Sy. It isn't unexpected, especially after their previous mission, but it is interesting.

Sy, if your best friend tells you that he has a crush on you, telling him that the Academy can fix that is not the best response.

The sad part is that it fits the Academy perfectly that they researched (and found) a method to do so.

I want to say that this setting could be improved by dropping the Endbringers in it, but they would only end up under the Academy's control or something like that.

Lamech
2015-10-01, 05:51 PM
If we drop Endbringers in who would they try and make look awesome though? Also in the Academy's defense I'm sure they have figured out all sorts of ways to mess with who is attracted to who. Jamie! You can fix this. Use your stolen knowledge to make Sy love you!

Kantaki
2015-10-02, 09:25 AM
If we drop Endbringers in who would they try and make look awesome though?

Right, I didn't think about the fact that they were created by Eidolon's power to be worthy enemies. But considering how much damage they did to give Daddy a challenge I wouldn't be surprised if they would do the same to the Academy. I'm far more worried what the Academy does to counter them.

Also in the Academy's defense I'm sure they have figured out all sorts of ways to mess with who is attracted to who. Jamie! You can fix this. Use your stolen knowledge to make Sy love you!

Please, not a repeat of the Glory Girl incident. I don't think Sy would react as badly as Victoria did and I doubt Jamie is in a bad enough spot to try such a thing, especially since unlike Amy he wouldn't do it subconsciously, but I'm not sure the Lambs would remain a team.

It doesn't matter if the Academy has more than one way to alter who you are attracted to, that they have developed methods to do so is already bad enough and if anyone believes even for a moment that they use this in a way that isn't horrible wrong they should reread the story so far.

Aunt Edith says: New chapter:

The Lambs are on a battlefield again? Even "better" do so under the direct command of Sephiroth the Duke.

I forsee great unpleasantness in Clone-Percy's future, but that is nothing compared to what the poor Professor Briggs has to expect. At least his family will be cared for - surprisingly that's not meant as a euphemism. Maybe the Academy/the Crown, or at least Sephiroth the Duke, isn't as bad as all those other issues make it look.

Sy being worried that Sephiroth the Duke might want to keep one of the Lambs is heartwarming. I will die of laughter if that happens to him.

Speaking of Sy, I really hope his friendship with Jamie isn't damaged longterm - that would be bad for the Lambs' teamwork.:smallamused:

The confrontation with the Ghost-army and Avis Pardoe should be fun.

Regarding the good Avis Pardoe: I wonder if that is her real name or a title/nickname. I mean the name seems a bit too obvious for a birdkeeper to be a normal name.

Someone in the comments pointed out that Avis has appeared before - as part of the Rebellion. Well so much for her being innocent.

Kantaki
2015-10-06, 06:13 AM
New chapter.

It seems Sephiroth the Duke can really fight. Impressive. I just hope Sy's lack of respect doesn't cause to much trouble for the Lambs.

Considering Sephiroth the Duke is going to fight Avis - the latter being on some kind of combat serum (the Jekyll/Hyde-stuff we heard about maybe? I hope we see it in action) and having prepared something else for this confrontation- I have to wonder if our protagonists are in greater trouble if he looses or if he wins.

Is this the first time we see a gun that can fire more than once? So far I had the impression that the Academy (and other) use one-shot weapons. Well, better weapons for the important guys I guess.

And Sy gets a kill. Now, this is really impressive considering his usual fighting skill.

Lamech
2015-10-08, 05:38 PM
The Shepherd had machine guns IIRC in his chapter. The tech is late 19th, early 20th if you exclude the Biotech.

Kantaki
2015-10-10, 02:38 AM
@Lamech: Right, there were machine guns. I’m not sure what gave me the impression that most guns are one shot. I think it might be the Exorcist guns the Rebellion used.

New chapter.

I don't think I will sleep well after reading that.

Avis modifications are very fitting considering her name and her goals.
But if Sephiroth the Duke is right the wing-symbiotes wouldn't have granted her true flight even before she lost two of them.
A shame, being able to fly is awesome, even if it requires bonding with mad science-creatures and altering your body with said mad science.
On the other hand it is symbolic that they can't make humans fly in a world with little to no freedom.

It is interesting how different the perspectives of Sy, Avis and Sephiroth the Duke are. One sees the current status quo as a necessary step in humanity’s development, the other thinks the world is going in the wrong direction since Wollstonecraft and the noble seems to believe that the Crown led civilization out of the dark age.

Sy calling Avis and Sephiroth the Duke a demon with the face of a angel and a angel with the face of a demon fits both of them very well. The only question is who is the angel and who is the demon.

The Duke reminds me of Helen, at least from the mindset. The way he answered Sy’s question about meals was weird. I'm going to assume he doesn't get the same satisfaction from good food that normal people would get. A good fight on the other hand seems to make him feel good. I wonder who thought that modification was a good idea.

That Avis considers the children still alive because bits of their brains are used to augment the Ghosts is disturbing.

Well, it seems the arc is coming to an end.
The Rebellion’s mole (or rather bird) was caught, Sephiroth had fun, all the Lambs survived and the Duke seems to like Sy. All well that ends well.
Well, ignoring Avis and Briggs fate and the Mice that were used to make the Ghost. Not to mention the fact that there are more Ghosts and Percys hiding somewhere. Oh, and Gordon’s health and the fact that the Duke likes Sy/the Lambs of course.
Even if I take those things in account this arc would be a happy end for a Wildbow story.
That means it can only get worse.

Lamech
2015-10-10, 02:26 PM
Wait, they can't make people fly? Seriously? Not even a hot air balloon? Although I suppose they would call it a hot air bladder. Not even hang gliding? Heck, WE can get people to fly on their own power. Makes me wonder if the Crown is in for an airshipping. And not the romantic kind. The kind loaded with bombs.

IthilanorStPete
2015-10-10, 04:10 PM
Wait, they can't make people fly? Seriously? Not even a hot air balloon? Although I suppose they would call it a hot air bladder. Not even hang gliding? Heck, WE can get people to fly on their own power. Makes me wonder if the Crown is in for an airshipping. And not the romantic kind. The kind loaded with bombs.

I'm guessing that the Academies' emphasis on biotech has impeded other fields of science.

Kantaki
2015-10-10, 05:39 PM

The way Sephiroth phrased it Avis would have been able to glide using all four wings and her other augmentation. After loosing two wings she might have been able to slow her fall (but not with Sy clinging to her). Really flying out of her own power? If the Duke says the truth that's not possible.

It seems hang-gliding (which is what she would be doing) doesn't count as flying by Academy standards. A hot air ballon wouldn't count as flying under your own power, would it?

I'm not sure about airship attacks, it seems so far that everyone focuses on biotech. Everyone we heard about at least.

Wait, we can make humans flying under their own power? I mean sure, there are several ways we can glide, but flying? I guess it depends how you define flight. Maybe Sephiroth and I have a stricter definition of "flying under your own power".

@IthilanorStPete: Then there is that. It seems the Academy only uses "normal" technology when they need it to support their creations. Stuff like giant ships to Transport warbeasts or weapons for the stiched (and not-stiched) troops.
Well, cars are a thing if I remember Warren's chapter right.

Lamech
2015-10-11, 01:50 PM
Even the ships were bioteched up.

It does seem like the Academy has lost progress in other areas of technology. The lack of flight is surprising though. Hang Gliding CAN perform cross country flight. An Albatross flies most of the time via gliding. Its essentially resting. I have to wonder if this is a casualty of their focus on weapons. The first plane/airship (or bio-plane/airship) won't make for a good weapon in all likelihood. Nor is it any sort of basic research type deal. They've just decided too hard and walked away.

Kantaki
2015-10-13, 11:06 AM
New chapter.

I knew it would get worse.

Well, that explains the arc's title. It seems the Duke has found a way to punish Sy. At least I think so, that this happened after Sephiroth promised he wouldn't dismantle the Lambs before the first of them expires is a bit too convenient for my taste. Add his threat towards Sylvester and it is even less likely that it was a coincidence.

Poor Jamie.

I hope the Lambs aren't hit too hard by this and the aftermath.

The method used to torture Avis is just plain horrifying. That the Duke doesn't perceive it that way is even worse.
It seems the nobles aren't exactly "human". The Duke's physical improvements are one thing, but so far I didn't assume that his way of thinking came from those changes and from his upbringing. But he and his relatives have alterd brains? From birth? I really don't like that revelation. It makes it sound as if the crowns humanity is, like Helen's, a mask.
A ruling caste made from utterly inhuman Frankenstein's Monster-like creations? No wonder the Empire is this messed up.
If you build a society on mad science never let the creations run the whole thing. It never ends well.
In fact the best idea would be to avoid the creation of creations that can think. At least they are smart enough to keep their experiments away from the science part of the operation and to install kill-switches. That makes them smarter than the Genetics - those guys did only the latter part. Guess how well that worked for them.

Lost Demiurge
2015-10-13, 12:07 PM
Ah. Ah Jamie.

Well, we knew it was coming. Not honestly sure that the Duke did it... Seems a bit hamfisted for him.

I think... I think this is the point where Sy's going to flip over to the resistance.

Landis963
2015-10-13, 03:15 PM
WTF did I just read? I feel slightly traumatized...

Sy's not going to flip just yet. He'll harbor feelings of hate and resentment in his grief, but he won't flip. Not until it becomes really obvious that Gordon's going to be betrayed on the operating table, or that it won't help.

Kantaki
2015-10-13, 04:31 PM
Ah. Ah Jamie.

Well, we knew it was coming. Not honestly sure that the Duke did it... Seems a bit hamfisted for him.

I think... I think this is the point where Sy's going to flip over to the resistance.

The main reason that I think Jamie’s sudden expiration wasn't a coincidence is that it is awfully convenient that it happened right after the Duke promised he would let the Lambs be until the first of them breaks down and told Sy that he would find a way to punish him.
Maybe it was the Duke, maybe someone wants to separate the Lambs from the Academy and/or damage the Academy’s war efforts. I think Sephiroth is the guilty party because it punishes Sy by tearing the Lambs apart and putting those he cares about in danger by basically killing his best friend.
This way the Duke keeps two promises at once.

I'm not sure that Sy will turn against the Academy over this. Unless he suspects foul play, but even then his priority would be the other Lambs - I doubt he will leave alone.
I don't think the rebellion will accept the Lambs as recruits, but Ms. Fray might still be hiring.

Kantaki
2015-10-17, 10:26 AM
New chapter.

A Enemy Chapter from (M)Avis point of view.

The Rebellion fractured after Godwin's death and Cynthia was injured? I guess conficting end-goals can cause that.
If we can trust Avis point of view the anti-Crown faction might be slightly preferable compared to the anti-Academy group and the Academy. I'm not sure I believe this. That they are better than the Academy I mean, that the Anti-Academy rebels are worse seems to be clear.

Did Sephiroth the Duke just confirm that he is responsible for Jamie? It certainly sounds that way.

Avis has joined Fray and Fray has a mole inside Radham. That promises to be interesting. I wonder who the mole is. My first instinct was (one of) the Lambs.

Lamech
2015-10-19, 11:42 AM
Gordon. Its probably Gordon. I'm pretty sure Gordon is either dead or a traitor at this point. He wanted to betray the Crown to Fray the first encounter. Fray talked about saving Gordon. Gordon was dying last time we checked. If he's alive I think the mystery of how he lived is easily solved.

Kantaki
2015-10-20, 04:09 AM
New chapter.

Okay, that was a interesting beginning.
I don't think that anything happend, but still, Sylvester gets caught in bed with a girl. :smallamused:
The best part is his complaint that „I could tell her the sky is blue and she would double check”. I wonder why anyone would do this Sy, aren't you always honest?

Sleepy Helen is cute, but I wonder how much of it was a act to comfort/annoy Sy. I tend to assume that the way she acts with the Lambs is the closest to her „normal” personality, but I'm never entirely sure.

Rick is still around and keeps annoying Sy? He isn't very clever I think. I mean Gordon (he is stiil alive and has a pet... something) beating him up is harmless compared to the other things the Lambs could do.
Lil asking Sy if the bit about him and Mary was a lie - and that Sy tells her it was brings up some questions. Why did she ask? Why did he lie? Did he lie? In the latter case I think that Sy is technically honest and Rick’s interpretation of the scene was a bit off.

The Rebellion is trying to unite its factions again, under Fray’s command no less?
And Sy wants to fish this before Ashton and ??? show up. This should be fun. I hope it means we get to see some familar faces again. Counter-assassins sounds like Sanguine will be back.
That the meeting point is already on fire seems promising for the Lambs success.

This nine month timeskip makes the whole cast feel a bit off. I wonder how the passed time and the off-screen missions have changed the Lambs.
I mean „Don't call me Lil” aside the dynamic between Sy and Lil (and Mary) seems different. Speaking of Mary, what happened to the part where Sy told her to go after Gordon?
Did it happen during the timeskip and didn’t work? We will see, I hope.

And because it has to be said: Jamie’s absence still hurts. Sy forgetting for a second and trying to ask him something is even worse.

@Lamech: I don't know, the mole needs some medical skills to do what was done to help Avis. Gordon seems unlikely to have those skills. If it was Lamb Lillian seems more likely. Or maybe one of the new Lambs. Sy might be able to get the necessary skills too, temporary at least.

Lamech
2015-10-21, 05:11 PM
I'm imaging this as a RPG quest. They get off the train to start the quest.

Main Objective : Meet at rendezvous point to coordinate and receive orders. Failed.
Main Objective: Locate enemy leaders before they make their moves. Failed.
Main Objective: Report to the locations to the Academy. Failed.

Mission Failed

I do have one question: why the hell would they be meeting at an Academy town? Unless this isn't the town the rebels are meeting at and its where the Academy was mustering its scouting forces. That just makes this even more demoralizing. I just hope no one arrived early.

Kantaki
2015-10-22, 08:53 AM
I'm imaging this as a RPG quest. They get off the train to start the quest.

Main Objective : Meet at rendezvous point to coordinate and receive orders. Failed.
Main Objective: Locate enemy leaders before they make their moves. Failed.
Main Objective: Report to the locations to the Academy. Failed.

Mission Failed

I do have one question: why the hell would they be meeting at an Academy town? Unless this isn't the town the rebels are meeting at and its where the Academy was mustering its scouting forces. That just makes this even more demoralizing. I just hope no one arrived early.

Look on the bright side; Sy is able to play mindgames again and managed to befriend the local military.
Honestly, I'm not particular confident in the not-Experiment parts of this operation, but I doubt that the Lambs can take this over like they did with Brigadier Tyler's command.

I love how Sy antagonizes the soldier to support Lillian. Saying that Lil can reach her goal because she isn't just a little genious, she is a Lamb was sweet and shows how much their relationship has changed since the beginning, but calling the other guy a moron made it a true Sy-moment.
Aunt Edith says: But he admitted (to himself) that the guy was most likely well intentioned.
The comparison to someone telling a friend not to get horns grafted on them by a backalley doctor is good.
that sounds like something that could almost happen in our world too.

I think it might have been better for Sylvester if he had listened in on Lillian's and Mary's discussion. If he is unlucky they talked about him.

I'm really confused about "Petey", first gordon talks about him being close in age to the Lambs and then we get a middle-aged woman.
Misinformation? a shapeshifter? The guy just looks that way for some reason?

Even weirder is "the Engineer". I wonder what the catch is there. I doubt that it is just being good with (normalish) technology, because they don't need a Experiment for that.

As for why the Rebellion meets in a Academy town: A) It is the last place they would be expected, B) This is Fray's plan. Who knows what her goal is. I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't want to negoitate with the Faction-leaders.

Lamech
2015-10-22, 12:33 PM
Petey is inside the woman's belly! SHE ATE HIM!!!!!

Kantaki
2015-10-22, 01:42 PM
Petey is inside the woman's belly! SHE ATE HIM!!!!!

That won't stop a superweapon.

But seriously if the woman turns out to be some kind of „living” costume that would... fit the methods of the Academy perfectly. It is still a pretty horrible idea. I wouldn't be surprised if it is true.

Or it is something much, much, much, much, much (I will stop there, because there aren't enough muchs) worse. We are talking about a Wildbow story after all.

Any bets how bad the situation will get before the Lambs get their reinforcements?

As nice as it would be if Sy gets his wish and they can solve this in time I think that a lot more than the local Academy will burn before that happens. If Fray is involved and the others really work with her this could get really ugly. When the new Lamb(s) arrive(s) they will be needed.

Kantaki
2015-10-29, 08:22 AM
New chapter(s)

After a lot of talking and roof running finally some action.
The Brechwell Monster is loose and to make things even more fun its control mechanism is broken.

Now there is a elephant-boar-rhino-thing that can breath and ignite nervegas rampaging on the playingfield. Sy loves it of course.

And Helen was supposed to get a nervegas bladder? I wonder why Ibbot changed his mind. Most likely it would have been impractical to integrate in her primary modus operandi. The Boa constrictor trick, not the teamwork. I doubt the Prof. cared about that.

Lamech
2015-10-29, 03:21 PM
It occurs to me that the leaders might not be in the city, but camped outside each taking turns showing off. You aren't going to stick around the place you unleash an out of control superweapon.

"My weapon killed some top scientists!"
"Mine burned down the Academy!"
"Mine turned their superweapon against them!"

Kantaki
2015-10-29, 04:13 PM
It occurs to me that the leaders might not be in the city, but camped outside each taking turns showing off. You aren't going to stick around the place you unleash an out of control superweapon.

"My weapon killed some top scientists!"
"Mine burned down the Academy!"
"Mine turned their superweapon against them!"

I don't know, the best observation points have to be inside the city. Not to mention that some of those guys strike me as somewhat Spark-like, just a little more grounded in the laws of nature.
I mean Percy’s and the Snakecharmer’s motivation was basically „I will show them! I will show them all!“ and other rebels are angry because the Academy restrains them. Who knows what they are thinking.

Not to mention that Fray is the one who planned this little event.
I'm not sure that she has the rebellions best interest in mind.
Not after we saw what she considered helpful for the Academy.
Forcing the leadership to fight for their lives might be her idea of reuniting the Rebellion.

Kantaki
2015-10-31, 05:14 AM
New chapter.

The Brechwell Beast is still going in the (mostly) right direction? I doubt that will last.

The Lambs are acting somewhat heroic, that definitely won't last.
I don't even want to know what effect this had on the little girl.
First someone threatens her live then she gets saved by monsters.

At least she was gone when Petey presented his magic trick.
:smalleek:That was among the creepyest Academy projects so far.
The best I can hope for is that he doesn't use random hosts grabbed from the street for this. Considering everything else we know about the Twigverse I don't put these hopes very high.
Fitting that that one was revealed today. What is Halloween without some nightmare fuel. Thank you Wildbow.

SlyGuyMcFly
2015-10-31, 05:41 AM
Petey: ALL OF THE NOPE

Kantaki
2015-11-03, 05:30 AM
New chapter.

Helen teaching Petey how to speak Ghost is amusing, especially with the reactions of the others.

Sy's memory is improving, that can only help his scheming. Oh, and he realizes that, as much as he wants it, fire and chaos aren't the solution there. I wonder how long that will last.

That is your plan Sly? Just walking up to the enemy Headquarter and saying Fray invited you? Calling this a lion's cave is a understatement. A room full of enemies that will kill you on the spot given the opportunity and you walk in as if you belong there.
The kid is so lucky that this fits right in Genevive's plans. If he survives this his teammates will kill him. Then they will resurrect him and kill him again, until everyone had a turn at killing Sylvester.

Did Sy seriously look up Mary's skirt? And then was disappointed that he couldn't use it to make fun of her? Has he a deathwish?
But Sy and Lillian are just cute together. Sy doing his best to reassure her and being nice and honest when talking with her, Lillian being worried enough to use Sylvester's full name* when she realizes that he is pulling something stupid.

*Has any Lamb ever called Sylvester Sylvester before when talking with him?

Kantaki
2015-11-07, 02:20 PM
New chapter.

Okay, Fray's plan? Just plain terrifying.
Stopping to fight each other is a smart idea, not attacking the Academy/Crown openly too.
But giving everyone access to Academy knowledge? That will go horribly, horribly wrong.
Sure there will be many farmers who will use this information to increase their production and helping sick or injured people will be easier and cheaper.
But that isn't the problem. What makes this so terrifying are guys like the Snake Charmer who will create terrible monsters in their backyard.
And as Sy noted the Academy can't afford not to bring down the iron fist on this, with means there will be even more death and suffering.
What is Fray hiding from her new allies?

Holding Jamie('s books) hostage ensures that Sy will return, but even if the Lambs join he will retalitate for this. Fray should better be really well prepared.

The sad part is that despite this plan Fray is still one of the few remotely "goodish" characters.

Kantaki
2015-11-10, 03:32 AM
New chapter

Why is the least human Lamb the one with the most insight and wisdom?
It would be useful for Helen’s role I guess. Still creepy.

Wait, the Academy has ethics lessons? I'm not sure I can believe that. On the other hand some professors joined the Rebellion because they want less restrictions.

Lillian and Sy had a few nice moments in this chapter.
Especially when they cuddle in the end.
Nice to see that they end up comforting each other.
Of course Sy had to try and get Lil to sleep naked. And almost watch her change clothing. Not that she protested very much about either.:smallamused:
But five nights of sleep in two weeks? That's not enough. The girls should sleep in Sy’s bed more often, it would be healthier for him and the Lamb’s work.

Lamech
2015-11-15, 03:33 AM
Sy thinks Fray can't just go out the front door. No device that can do it? I'm hoping Warren has invented a gyrocopter or something similar. A full-fledged attack Helicopter would be really funny. Its doubly hilarious after the Avis chapter.

Kantaki
2015-11-17, 07:25 AM
New chapter.

D&C work with Fray? As do some other experiments? What is happening with the world if you can't even trust the people you turned into expendable weapons with cruel, inhumans methods? They got abilities humans can only dream of in exchange for pain, suffering, a reduced lifespan and being thrown away in meaningless conflicts. Is a bit loyality really demanded too much?

Sly and Lil continue to amuse me. He seems to genuinely care about her and that she choose to compare him to a abusive husband is interesting as well.

Mary's relationship to her "father" Percy and Lilian's concern about Academy propaganda ethics lessons both might cause trouble foor the Lambs.
I really hope the Lambs stay together when they break with the Academy. The only question is what they will do with the new guy(s).

If Sy told Lilian to lure out a potential traitor, what is his real plan? That was the reason for the lies right?

Regarding Percy, the Lambs raise a good point there when they say that his work shows a tendency to harm children in the process. The irony is that the same can be said about Hayle's Lambs Project.

@Lamech: Considering Sy mentioned that Fray can't fly in this chapter I kind of hope you are right and she has a helicopter or something like that. Just to see his reaction.

Kantaki
2015-11-19, 09:18 AM
New chapter.

Helen was very... Helen in this chapter.:smalleek: It's so easy to forget how inhuman she is.

I think Dog and Catcher have very good reasons to defect. I mean who wouldn't do the same in their position? Lets hope they can get away with this. The Lambs havng to hunt them down would be bad for everyone involved.

I want to see more of Sy and Lillian. Something about their mutal teasing is just cute. Especially Lil's "If you have to talk about this, let's do it when the others aren't around.". I hope they get the chance. I want to know what Lillian (and Sy of course) has to say.

IthilanorStPete
2015-11-19, 10:50 AM
Helen is Queen of the Creepy Awesome. I want a chapter with her POV so much.

Kantaki
2015-11-19, 11:31 AM
Helen is Queen of the Creepy Awesome. I want a chapter with her POV so much.

Wouldn't that make her a Enemy? I'm not sure I like this idea. The Lambs falling apart sounds like a bad thing. Not to mention that a whole chapter from Helen's viewpoint sounds like a recipe for insomnia.:smalleek:

IthilanorStPete
2015-11-19, 03:03 PM
Wouldn't that make her a Enemy? I'm not sure I like this idea. The Lambs falling apart sounds like a bad thing. Not to mention that a whole chapter from Helen's viewpoint sounds like a recipe for insomnia.:smalleek:

I could see Wildbow changing up the POV for an arc; he did that in both Worm and Pact. While I don't think we'll see a whole arc from Helen's perspective, I could see him rotating through the Lambs for an arc.

Kantaki
2015-11-20, 09:10 AM
I could see Wildbow changing up the POV for an arc; he did that in both Worm and Pact. While I don't think we'll see a whole arc from Helen's perspective, I could see him rotating through the Lambs for an arc.

Right, Worm had the Wards in the spotlight for one arc. And the S9's targets, the Travelers and epilogues of course
Pact has some (longer) viewpoint changes too? I have to admit I have only read until Arc 3 so far.
From the way Twig's interlude chapters worked so far* I kind of assumed a Helen-interlude would mean a Enemy chapter, but of course showing the perspective of the other Lambs is a possibility too.

*Showing the point of view of a foe of the Lambs.**

**Of course that could be interpreted as enemy of the Academy as well. In that case a Helen-centric Enemy chapter would be fine.Nightmare fuel aside.

IthilanorStPete
2015-11-20, 10:20 AM
Right, Worm had the Wards in the spotlight for one arc. And the S9's targets, the Travelers and epilogues of course
Pact has some (longer) viewpoint changes too? I have to admit I have only read until Arc 3 so far.
From the way Twig's interlude chapters worked so far* I kind of assumed a Helen-interlude would mean a Enemy chapter, but of course showing the perspective of the other Lambs is a possibility too.

*Showing the point of view of a foe of the Lambs.**

**Of course that could be interpreted as enemy of the Academy as well. In that case a Helen-centric Enemy chapter would be fine.Nightmare fuel aside.

Pact has two arcs that are each from a different person's perspective, IIRC.

Landis963
2015-11-20, 10:30 AM
Pact has two arcs that are each from a different person's perspective, IIRC.

Two? I remember Maggie's arc, but what was the other?

IthilanorStPete
2015-11-20, 03:16 PM
Two? I remember Maggie's arc, but what was the other?

About half of the last arc was from Rose's perspective, using third person instead of first.

Kantaki
2015-11-21, 11:36 AM
New chapter.

Well, that went better than expected. The interaction with Percy and Mauer I mean. Fray's talk with Cynthia seems to have gone poorly. I wonder what the problem is? Was Cynthia offended that Fray is willing to recruit the Lambs? I think she took the attack on her more personal than the others.
But whatever the reason for this is I doubt it will slow down Genevieve very much.

Helen was her usual charming self. Is it just me or does she bother less with her masks if she is talking with people who know her?

Percy's argument is weird. children suffer most in wars anyway so he makes children suffer to create weapons for wars?:smallconfused: I'm not sure how that makes sense.

Kantaki
2015-11-28, 03:11 PM
New chapter(s).

Great. So much for Fray’s plan being a alternative to the Academy. If Lilian’s estimation of the number of people it would kill is right Fray might be even worse than the Academy. Especially since she takes the Academy’s options to control the situation away.
Even if she honours Lil’s request to edit the books they will cause more damage than the Academy ever did. Sure, both the Academy and the Crown should be taken down, but not if the price is this high.

Well, at least Percy is out of the picture. I like Mary’s reasoning for wanting him dead - even after Sy confessed his lies during her recruitment - it bothered a fellow Lamb.

And we meet Ashton and Jamie2.
It seems Ashton manipulates people by being a living drug-factory. I like that his first reaction to Sy being sad was wanting to use his ability on him. Cute in a really disturbing way.
Less human than Helen in the way he acts. I'm sure Helen and Sy can help him to become a little master-manipulator.
Not much to say about Jamie2 so far. Just that he is different from Jamie. I still think that this is Sephiroth’s the Duke’s punishment for Sy’s insolence.

Kantaki
2015-12-05, 03:57 PM
New Enemy-chapters.

From the Lambs's point of view this time.

Okay, it is official. All the nobles are incredible creepy and have to be killed with fire.

Ashton is just disturbing. I mean, the stuff Helen says? The way she thinks? Creepy, nightmare inducing, but harmless compared to him. Especially since her part mostly focused on her acting and on annoying Ibott. Ashton's complete innocence only makes it worse.
Gordon's focus is on getting out of this alive and Mary - to nobody's surprise - on taking some of the staff and/or nobles with her.
Poor Lil, first she doesn't understand Gordon's plan and is a nervous wreck when it is her turn to answer the questions and then Sy gets her in trouble with Hayle.
Well, not really. He seems more concerned than angry. We are talking about Sly after all.

I like the Lambs' plan there. Put the blame on Sy, who has the excuse that his brain tried to adapt to the new situation, to Keep the whole group alive and when Sy realizes that Lil messed up he provides a excuse for her as well*.

More importantly we learn how the other Lambs see each other. My favorite part was that Mary thought about killing Sy should he betray her when she was new in the team.

I just thought about something that concerns me more than Helen and Ashton combined: NeoJamie didn't get his own viewpoint. I've got a bad feeling there.

*That was certainly is only reason for kissing her.

Landis963
2015-12-05, 06:41 PM
I found Helen's interlude rather funny, really. Creepy as h**l, of course, but funny. There's the in-human-ness of her every thought pattern, but there's also the way she uses that to play the room in general and Ibott in particular every way she wants. (Ashton kind of scares me, though. Those powers, that lack of control, that inner monologue, those imagine spots? :smalleek: brrrr) I felt bad for Lillian though. She's been in over her head ever since she went on the first job for the Lambs, with only a few parahuman experiments masquerading as children as her allies.

IthilanorStPete
2015-12-05, 09:55 PM
I was so happy when I saw that we'd be getting a Helen interlude. It did not disappoint. :smallbiggrin: And yeah, Ashton's pretty dang disturbing.

Kantaki
2015-12-06, 06:57 PM
Helen’s response when Ibott wanted to know if she wants to crawl inside him as well was especially good. „No, I only want to that with persons I respect”:smallbiggrin: Maybe calling her creator weak and powerless wasn't the best idea - he will try to punish her - but it was both awesome and funny.

I pity the poor kid they will „recruit” as a medic when the Lambs get split up. Especially if they end up in Sy’s team. Not that there is any combination that would be very pleasant for the new normal kid. Oh well, if the study at the Academy they deserve this.

Kantaki
2015-12-08, 12:51 PM
New chapter.

Sy and Lillian are so cute together.

Anyway, it seems the Lambs are all alive and well and they work in two teams now.

Lillian needs to gather favours and "friends" to have a chance to become a professor some day. To help her the Lambs do some mercenary work for important people.

The new job is to find a runaway daughter who is hiding in some hive of scum and villainy. Considering why her parents want her home I can understand why she ran away with her friends. I mean planning to marry her to a noble is bad enough, but the Baron? The guy with the crazy sisters? I'm sure there are worse fates, but I can't think of any.

That Fray's books are out and that the daughter was the guinea pig for some immorality treatment. The parents really don't want the latter to spread.

Kantaki
2015-12-12, 01:04 PM
New chapter.

Sy, Sy, Sy, if you keep acting like that I might start to think that you can be good person.

Helping Lillian to become a (better) professor* can be justified with protecting a fellow Lamb and/or some crazy scheme to change the Academy and make life better for other experiments, but saving those kids? Not because they are useful, but because they are in situation he might have been (was?) in himself?
Thats not what I would expect from a self proclaimed villain. Not that I ever believed him.
Not that this is first time he acted "nice".

*And I still think that any aim he thinks he has with this relationship is at least partially a lie to himself/ a afterthought due to the way his brain works.

IthilanorStPete
2015-12-12, 01:11 PM
This might've been the noblest thing Sy's ever done. Maybe there's hope for him yet. :smallsmile:

Kantaki
2015-12-12, 02:18 PM
This might've been the noblest thing Sy's ever done. Maybe there's hope for him yet. :smallsmile:

Of course there is hope for him. Sy is slowly turning into a better person (or at least being more honest about it).

I think what makes this special is that this is the first time Sy clearly helped someone who didn't in some way to his "family". Even the Mice belonged in that group to a certain degree.
Sure, Sly would argue that it is likely that he was in a similar situation before he joined the Lambs, but I don't think he would have done this at the beginning of Twig.

On another topic: Was it ever confirmed that Sylvester had a (fatal) expiration date? I remember him stating that he would survive the others. But that can mean a lot of things. The poor kid could have to life as a normal human without the benefits of of his drugs. Or the Academy just kills him at some point.

Landis963
2015-12-12, 02:47 PM
On another topic: Was it ever confirmed that Sylvester had a (fatal) expiration date? I remember him stating that he would survive the others. But that can mean a lot of things. The poor kid could have to life as a normal human without the benefits of of his drugs. Or the Academy just kills him at some point.

He could, but a) the withdrawal might kill him, and b) I don't think he'd want to be normal, ever. (If being a normal human, with all that implies, didn't scare him on at least one level, he'd have escaped the Academy long ago.) And of course c) when his brain finally burns out under the strain of the Wyvern serum, the Academy will just pull the plug on his life support and start making another Sylvester.

Kantaki
2015-12-15, 05:21 PM
New chapter.

Sy’s reason for kissing Lil was genuinely sweet. Nobody would have believed it.
And I guess Sy’s thought about Lil’s future husband confirms that he (thinks he) will die early. I kind of expect that Lillian won't live longer than Sy. Of course I hope the best for her, but even then I don't see how her story (or any Lamb’s) can end well.

Lillian’s plan (And it is her plan, even if Sy gave her a little push.) is pretty good. I'm sure it will go horribly. I'm not sure if it will go right or wrong, but it won't end well.

Sy has to work with Jamie2? The combination certainly is the least bad available, but Jamie2 will need a lot of good will to make this work.

Kantaki
2015-12-20, 04:56 PM
New chapters

Sy that is a terrible plan,
Well, at least he told Lillian what they are going to do.
I think the worst thing that could happen is that it works before it goes wrong.

Of course Jamie left secret messages for his successor. I'm not sure why that surprised me.
And since things start to get better with Jamie2 this is the perfect time for something horrible to happen.

This Adam guy seemed nice. I hope he won't get involved any further.

Kantaki
2015-12-22, 05:01 PM
New chapter

Well, that could have gone better. That’s why you don't discuss your plans onscreen.
Fishmonger has no idea what is going to happen to him. If he is lucky Sy will allow him to die in the end. I hope he is unlucky. While I agree that the parasites are to good a fate for him they are a good start.:smallamused:

Speaking of the parasites, who is responsible those abominations? I mean our friends from the Academy and the Rebellion created some pretty horrifying things, but those things are worse. Their only purpose seems to be torture. The least you can do is to make that (look like) a side-effect.

Lil’s situation is pretty bad. I hope she survives mostly unharmed. I doubt Sy would take it well if something happens to her. And I'm certain is reaction would be to go Targaryen* on the world (or at least Lugh).

* I'm mostly refering to their Words there.

SlyGuyMcFly
2015-12-22, 05:26 PM
And once more, Wildbow outdoes himself in creating a horrifying situation. Those parasites are just yeurrrgh.

IthilanorStPete
2015-12-22, 06:13 PM
And once more, Wildbow outdoes himself in creating a horrifying situation. Those parasites are just yeurrrgh.

Ugh, yes. This was the most body horror we've gotten in Twig (except maybe Petey); it's effective writing, but I'm glad it's not constantly present.

Kantaki
2015-12-26, 02:27 PM
New chapter

Poor little parasite. I hope it survives and finds a safe and comfortable new home inside the Fishmonger.

Speaking of that guy, he has no idea how badly he has lost. And he deserves everything that's coming for him. I hope Sy finds a way to make him suffer for a long time.

The Lambs’ sense for dramatic timing is amazing. Gordon shutting the lights off right after Sy told him that he has lost is just perfect. That has to hurt his and mooks confidence, especially after Sy’s attack on him.

Landis963
2015-12-26, 06:25 PM
This. This right here. This is the kind of s**t I adore. Clever people grabbing every advantage they can to wriggle their way out of terrible situations placed in front of them by similarly clever people whose only mistake was underestimating the protagonists.

Kantaki
2016-01-09, 02:02 PM
New chapter(s).

That went surprisingly well.

Of course Sly had to find his own way into the laboratory. And of course it didn't work.:smallbiggrin:

The first contact with Candida and Drake was really funny. Poor Lillian... And Sy can be very innocent sometimes:smallamused:.

"Candy"'s:smalltongue: "immortality is... worse than anything I would have expected. Living for three... hundred? thousand? more? less? years when you might loose your mind around fourty makes the Lambs' fates - including Jamie's- almost sound harmless.

I just hope fire is enough to kill this project. I mean this is a project the Academy doesn't touch anymore because of how wrong it can go and those kids went and added the blood of someone potentially immortal to it? Fortunatly our protagonists arrived before they got a chance to learn how successful they were.

The Lambs are going to call in reinforcements to find the other groups working on this terrible idea? In that case I wish Emily and Drake good luck. Hopefully they get away in time.

So much for Lil improving her chances for a black coat.:smallbiggrin: Letting them go certainly was a right choice, just not for her career.

I think my favorite part was Lillian and Emily's Little exchange about Drake. Well, Sy I wonder why Lil can understands the girl so well.:smallamused:

Kantaki
2016-01-17, 01:02 PM
New chapter

Sy has problems with the difference between admiring someone and liking someone? That's interesting but not that surprising. The „younger, female Mauer bit was still weird, even for him.
Speaking of Mauer it seems he choose to spend his yearly holiday in Lugh.
I agree with Sy, this means that the plan is not to trick the Academy into burning the town to horrible, disease infested ashes inhabitated by monsters. The alternative might be even worse. If Mauer can turn the primordial into a weapon and/or unleashes it the result will be more than one city burned to horrible disease-infested ashes inhabitated by monsters. Oh well, the Lambs should be used used to ridiculous overkill being the less bad option by now. I wonder if Sy can keep his promise under the changed circumstances.

Kantaki
2016-01-26, 12:15 PM
New chapter

Well, things have certainly looked better for the Lambs already.
Four primordials are loose, Mauer is gathering his forces and Sephiroth the Duke has unleashed the Academy's might. At least he tries to get (one of) them out of this mess. I'm not sure if the Baron and the twins are the best choice for the job, but at least he doesn't leave them to burn.

Speaking of the twins,:smalleek: I really hope neither the Lambs nor Emily and Drake get in their way. That they seem to be a bit close is the only thing we see of them that doesn't make me want to call in a orbital bombardement or ten.

The way the nobles are turned into nobles explains a lot about them. I mean those changes alone are already more than enough to utterly change someone, but they have to go through them without painkillers?:smalleek: How could they not be completely messed up?
The asylum isn't that surprising considering everything else, but the really interesting part is that Sephiroth has encountered primordials before. I hope he gets a good fight out of this.
But someone infected several nobles with this primordial on purpose? Wow, either someone really wantend to be closer to the throne, or they hated those guys enough to risk triggering the end of the world. neither option is very pleasant.

Rakaydos
2016-01-26, 01:52 PM
I have finished Worm and Pact, getting ready to start Twig.

How much of a screeching halt am I going to have when I catch up?

Kantaki
2016-01-26, 04:19 PM
I have finished Worm and Pact, getting ready to start Twig.

How much of a screeching halt am I going to have when I catch up?

That depends on when you catch up.:smalltongue:

:smallbiggrin:Okay, okay, I will try to give a helpful answer.
Twig is more episodic that wildbow’s previous works and while there certainly is the red string of a greater plot connecting the arcs and some of the interludes hint at the things to come in the next arc the individual arcs are much more stand-alone-ish than lets say Worm’s. Enough to want more, but it is less extreme than in the other stories.*
Mid-arc there are still those pesky cliffhangers that make the time between chapters so annoying.

*So far at least, the current arc finished with a pretty big cliff-hanger.

Lamech
2016-03-11, 01:57 PM
So, this is like the last day to post before the thread necromancy kicks in!

The Duke got scammed. He gets himself an enemy chapter, outplays the Rev., traps their superweapon and then BLAM! New and improved guns. Probably from that random giant Fray has. He's played out bunches of battles in his training, neutralizes everything the rebellion's best scientists have, and he gets ganked by conventional weaponry.

Although does this make Warren the top weapon of the rebellion now?

Kantaki
2016-03-11, 04:36 PM
Sy’s plan to deal with the Baron was great. Lure him in by imitating one of his sisters and them just blow him up. Shame it didn't work as well as intended. But even if he still lives that will really hurt.

Mauer’s plan on the other hand? Plain awesome. Especially since it worked so well.
Sephiroth:„You are defeated. My men disabled your bombs. Kneel before Zod”
Mauer:„Sure, let me just signal my snipers with their superadvanced rifles for a moment”
The Duke:„Oh no, I'm dead. That is impossible! This cannot be!”
Or something like that. Worst case is he just got the worst beating in his life.
But to be honest, this was kinda inevitable after the Duke said that Mauer couldn't beat him because „the Crown never looses” is a law of the universe.
:smallsigh:I thought they would know the difference between not loosing and winning by now. I mean those crimes against nature can't be that stupid, can they?

Chives
2016-03-13, 02:58 AM
Haha! The thread's back!

Who thinks Sy is gonna be stuck as the Baron's aide? He's in a really good spot to be the Baron's messenger boy for... well as long as he lasts anyway and it is one of the most horrible things that can happen here. :smallbiggrin:

Lamech
2016-03-13, 05:27 PM
I don't think Sy would last long as the Baron's aide. He'd lose the job due to employer existence failure pretty quick. :{ The Baron is one of those stupid-evil types. You don't go stabbing someone's eye out just because they successfully stopped two enemy superweapons instead of six when that wasn't even their job. That's how you get people to stop telling you things. And start trying to avoid responsibility instead of doing stuff. Point is Sy would need to murder the Baron really quickly and he'd probably succeed.

I guess that adds weight to Sy's plan of "Let the Baron live and destroy the crown from within."

Kantaki
2016-03-14, 07:33 AM
I don't think the Baron will live very long. In fact I would't even bet on him surviving the negotiations.
He seems like the moronic kind of evil who will do something stupid just because he can.
Especially if he finds out the Lambs are involved. (Emily's identity won't help either)

As fun* as the "let a immortal Baron Richmond loose to turn the populace against the Crown" is I really want to see Sy's face when they have to kill the guy for being unreasonable.

*evil

Kantaki
2016-03-19, 05:14 AM
New chapter

:smalleek:Enemy-chapter. With Primordials:smalleek:

:smalleek:Im absolutely behind the Crown’s way of dealing witch those things.
They are just scary. The ability to adapt is one thing, but I didn't expect them to be sapient.
If the situation had been just a little bit different the view point primordial- if not more of the original seven - might have escaped.
And that last bit of vengeance? Depending how many primordial qualities those seeds have and how they are dealt with this could either be really bad or catastrophically bad for the world. Even if all they do is growing and spreading it is going to be horrible for anyone affected:smalleek:

Chives
2016-03-19, 05:33 AM
Well that was absolutely unnerving. :smalleek:

Had to stop halfway through. The concept of Primordials, seeing into their minds like that, I... God. too much, way too much. :smalleek:

Kantaki
2016-03-19, 06:10 AM
Well that was absolutely unnerving. :smalleek:

Had to stop halfway through. The concept of Primordials, seeing into their minds like that, I... God. too much, way too much. :smalleek:

:smalleek:Yes, that was... terrifyingly clever.
Concluding that humans respect authority and then claiming what seems to be the highest authority to them for yourself...:smalleek:
We are lucky it wasn't smart/experienced enough to realize that it wouldn't work this way.
Still, that the primordial spoke at all- and then those words...:smalleek:
I really hope those seeds can „only” infect people and won't grow into new versions.
Just imagine what happens if they learn to take a more human shape.:smalleek:

SlyGuyMcFly
2016-03-19, 08:16 AM
Utterly chilling stuff. A fantastic chapter on a conceptual level and brilliantly executed. I made all the :smalleek: faces while reading it.

EDIT: From the comment section:

On other, worm related notes, have been talking to an agent and just this past week I had a phone convo with a studio expressing interest in a TV series. Above all else, the convo did convey to me just how many hoops there are to jump through for something to end up happening, but it’s a really cool thing that Worm is getting that attention.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-

Kantaki
2016-03-22, 06:16 AM
New chapter

:smallredface:Aww, Sy really loves Lillian. That's so cute.:smallbiggrin:

"How are the Girls?"
"Exhausted.":smallbiggrin:
:smallamused:Phrasing Sy, phrasing.:smallamused: Seriously, that part made laugh so much I had to stop reading for a moment.
Someone who doesn't know him could get the wrong idea.

I guess Rick will regret being so curious pretty soon. I mean Jamie basically told him "I can tell you but then the Academy will kill you use you as a guinea pig for their crimes against nature." The line about wanting Sy's life was pretty much tempting fate as well. How do they say? "Be careful what you wish for, it might come true."
I just wonder how much of what we see of Rick's character is accurate and how much is Sy's bias against him.

And Sy seems to have made up his mind. Sounds as if he wants to leave the Academy. I hope he won't go alone.

Landis963
2016-03-22, 09:48 PM
And Sy seems to have made up his mind. Sounds as if he wants to leave the Academy. I hope he won't go alone.

And about time too. It's been looking dreadful for days months years.

Kantaki
2016-03-24, 01:52 PM
@Landis963: I agree. The only surprise there is that it didn't happen sooner.

New chapter

Sy and Helen explain the world to Ashton... Almost cute, if not for the fact that it involves the most inhuman Lamb.:smallbiggrin:

Sy is really preparing to leave.
And he plans his war against the Baron. In the Baron’s base of power... Should be fun. I'm betting on Sy.:smallamused:
But I wonder which Lambs will come with him and with will stay.
If the latter is even a option. The Academy won't trust the remaining Lambs when the others go traitor.

Admiral Squish
2016-03-24, 02:05 PM
I am sorely tempted to read this. Worm was amazing, and I really want to see if this is as good. But the problem is, if it IS as good... Reading through Worm basically consumed my brain for about a week. Like, I could not stop reading it. Getting into something like that that's CURRENTLY ACTIVE? I dread what it would do to my productivity.

Kantaki
2016-03-26, 02:08 PM
I am sorely tempted to read this. Worm was amazing, and I really want to see if this is as good. But the problem is, if it IS as good... Reading through Worm basically consumed my brain for about a week. Like, I could not stop reading it. Getting into something like that that's CURRENTLY ACTIVE? I dread what it would do to my productivity.

Can't help you with that decision. But I would say Twig is (at least) as good as Worm.

New chapter

Duncan really know how to get the Lambs to like him doesn't he?:smallamused:

I like that the other Lambs immediately tell Sy that no, he won't go assassinate Richmond alone. That would only end in a fiasco.:smallbiggrin:

More importantly, Sy is going to meet Lil’s parents. Hands up who thinks she will strangle him afterwards during the meeting. (Raises hand)

Oh, and of course Helen gets to spend time with her one true love, resulting in the greatest cliff hanger in Twig so far.:smalltongue:

Kantaki
2016-03-29, 02:17 PM
New chapter

Lillian’s ideas for her first big project sound interesting. And I agree with Sy on the exo-suit, it is very her. But I doubt the Academy will like it. Not weapony enough. Unless she adds some combat capability (like inbuilt weapons or superstrength/speed) Lil’s medic suit will most likely fail.

But her parents are only there for her examination-thingy the next day? Maybe that's just their only chance to see their daughter, but it makes it look as if they aren't that close with her.
With Lil still on Wyvern and Sy being there too that could be the recipe for a... interesting evening.:smallamused:

Speaking of Sy, he certainly didn't left the best impression with the parents and I really doubt that will get better when they notice who left the lipstick and perfume on him.:smallamused: Lets just hope he won't be his usual charming self.
Unless Lil’s parents are jerks of course. Then he can tear them apart.

Sly’s plan to go after the Baron doesn't look that great right now. I guess he still works best when doesn't have the time to make plans.
On the other hand we are talking about Baron Richmond. Being overly careful is more than justified.

Kantaki
2016-04-19, 03:00 PM
New chapters

The sooner the Baron is killed the better. Preferably more than once. As often as possible.

Sure, we already knew that guy is terrible, but actually seeing Warrick? That's something else.
I'm kinda surprised this story can still disturb me, but this just get worse with every chapter.

My „favorite” part have to be the ’born.The fact that they aren't the people’s firstborn somehow makes it worse.

I would feel sorry for the scientist-trio, but... forced to work there or not they kinda deserve what they got.

And of course there are guests arriving. At least it will be a target-rich environment I guess.

On the plus side we have Sy being Sy, his hallucinations and Mary.
„I only have knives I usually wear.” :smallamused: That are still more than enough to equip ten assassin teams.:smallbiggrin:
I mean seriously, if she carries that amount of weapons off-duty (or for non-combat missions), how many (more) knives does she take with her when it isn't a normal day?

Landis963
2016-04-21, 12:39 PM
New chapters

The sooner the Baron is killed the better. Preferably more than once. As often as possible.

Sure, we already knew that guy is terrible, but actually seeing Warrick? That's something else.
I'm kinda surprised this story can still disturb me, but this just get worse with every chapter.

My „favorite” part have to be the ’born.The fact that they aren't the people’s firstborn somehow makes it worse.

I would feel sorry for the scientist-trio, but... forced to work there or not they kinda deserve what they got.

And of course there are guests arriving. At least it will be a target-rich environment I guess.

On the plus side we have Sy being Sy, his hallucinations and Mary.
„I only have knives I usually wear.” :smallamused: That are still more than enough to equip ten assassin teams.:smallbiggrin:
I mean seriously, if she carries that amount of weapons off-duty (or for non-combat missions), how many (more) knives does she take with her when it isn't a normal day?

As many as she can feasibly hide, a couple that she can't, and of course the garrote wires in her ribbons.

Kantaki
2016-04-21, 02:02 PM
As many as she can feasibly hide, a couple that she can't, and of course the garrote wires in her ribbons.

So, about as many as the average band of adventurers? Sounds right.
It might be a bit low, but it sounds right.:smallamused:

Kantaki
2016-05-07, 04:43 PM
New chapter

Okay,so far the mission went about as well as expected.:smallamused:
Weird. I almost felt pity for the final Twin... Even a monster like her deserved better. I really hope Sy gives the Baron what he deserves.

:smalleek:And we meet a truly high ranking noble.:smalleek: The Lord Infante is pretty much a larger version of Sephiroth the Duke.
:smalleek:Hopefully Sy can stay away from this league of noble for a while. Would be better for my health.
But I like how Sy managed to convince the Lord Infante to let his hunt for the Baron continue.:smallbiggrin: Without a single lie.

Poor Lanie through, I guess she has nowhere to go now. I doubt the Lord Infante will accept any scenario where she gets to life with her family as sufficient punishment.
On the plus side that means Sy might not have to be alone after this mission. Assuming it ends well of course.

But I'm confident. The Baron threatening Emily only means Sy's "team" (including Elaine and Chance) is going to be even more motivated to take him down.