PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Useful Minor Magical Items

Razaele
2015-03-10, 02:34 AM
Hello there! I'm running a 5th edition D&D campaign for some friends and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for minor magical items that I can give out as loot to low-level players. They don't always have to be useful (I once gave my players a cape that always flows dramatically, even when there isn't any wind), but of course utility is always good. :smallsmile:

Also, if you guys think any of the items that I've suggest (below) can be broken/abused in some manner, please let me know so I can tweak/fix before I give them to my players.

What I've got so far:

Pendant - Lets the wearer to cast Light on an object when they say a trigger word and touch the end of the pendant to said object. If no object is touched, the pendant itself glows.

Truth Seeker's Coin - Coin must first be held by the subject (person who is being asked the questions) while trigger word activates the coin. Afterwards, for each yes/no question that is answered by the subject, the coin can be flipped. If the result is heads, the subject is telling the truth (and vice versa). Will save negates this effect.

Everfresh Ring - The wearer of the ring will always look their best. Their hair will never be mussed, their clothes will always be pristine, etc, and they will always smell super great. If the wearer takes off the ring, their clothes, hair, etc. will revert to their normal state. (One of my players is roleplaying a very fussy and good-looking nobleman) :smallbiggrin:

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-10, 03:22 AM
Winterbreath Jar - a ceramic vase carved with sorcerous markings, inlaid with blue jade, and infused with the essence of air, this can keep something about the size of a watermelon or a bottle of wine cool, cold, or even frozen.

The ability to serve sherbet to one's guests in the middle of the desert is valuable beyond WBL. :smallcool:

goto124
2015-03-10, 04:44 AM
I'll try to combine the minifridge with the Decanter of Endless Water...

fallensaviour
2015-03-10, 07:53 AM
i dont remember what it was called...but there used to be a spoon that'd endlessly create "food" it was edible and would satisfy nutritional requirements but tasteless slop

Mastikator
2015-03-10, 07:59 AM
Rod of standing. A metal rod that when dropped on the ground always stands straight up.

Magic beans. When thrown on the ground will grow into a full sized tree overnight.

Lord Torath
2015-03-10, 08:07 AM
i dont remember what it was called...but there used to be a spoon that'd endlessly create "food" it was edible and would satisfy nutritional requirements but tasteless slopMyrlunds's Spoon. (Myrlund may or may not be spelled correctly)

The Vermin-Repelling Sleeping Bag of Warmth.

Storm_Of_Snow
2015-03-10, 08:59 AM
For the light pendant, I'd limit it to the light only being able to be placed on one item at a time, and add a recharge time.

The Vermin-Repelling Sleeping Bag of Warmth.
I was thinking of a Pillow of Rest, that allows you to sleep in some armour (not full plate obviously). Or allows casters to regain spells more easily overnight.

Backpack of holding?

Any climate clothes? Keeps you cool in the desert and warm in the snow.

Tools of the Master Carpenter? Any construction of a wooden object/building performed by someone using the full set of tools is performed at twice normal rate.

Lord Torath
2015-03-10, 10:21 AM
Backpack of holding?Heward's Handy Haversack

Firestick. Once per day, this 1' long stick can be used to ignite any combustible material. The ignited object will burn completely unless put out by water/high wind/lack of oxygen. Intended for use on campfires.

Canteen of Purification: Transmutes any liquid placed inside to pure water. Volume: 2 quarts. Fill/drain rate: 1 gal/min.

Sheaths of Silence: Available in sizes to fit any weapon, this sheath allows you to unsheathe your weapon without making a sound. Loud clothing, however, can negate this effect.

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-10, 10:41 AM
Sheaths of Silence: Available in sizes to fit any weapon, this sheath allows you to unsheathe your weapon without making a sound.Ah, for countering one of those DMs with only Hollywood Knowledge (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheCoconutEffect) about how swords work? :smallamused:

Hollywood Fact: Swords must always make a loud, metallic SHING! noise when drawn, whether the scabbard the character is drawing his sword from is metal, leather, wood, cloth, or even if the character isn't drawing his sword from a scabbard at all. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AudibleSharpness)

Rondodu
2015-03-10, 12:02 PM
They don't always have to be useful (I once gave my players a cape that always flows dramatically, even when there isn't any wind),[…]

I’ll just drop they here. (http://english.bouletcorp.com/2008/10/16/)

Storm_Of_Snow
2015-03-10, 12:10 PM
Heward's Handy Haversack

But without the ability to have the item you want on top... :smallwink:

ahdok
2015-03-10, 01:28 PM
You should give them an unfishing pole.

Exactly what an unfishing pole does, I leave as an exercise for the reader, but it's different every time I GM a new DnD group.

BootStrapTommy
2015-03-10, 01:56 PM
This is a list of the best items from a list of "almost useless" items that I pulled from a thread around here years ago. Some are just amusing cursed items, others are nearly useless but might have a few intriguing uses if players are creative enough. That thread immediate turned into a "how can we make these gag items useful" thread. But any good player can make the best of just about anything, right? Internets (and possibly cookies) for anyone who can devise good uses for any of these.

Shirt of Throwing: This simple green shirt is the perfect size for the average Halfling, Gnome, or Dwarf. When doned, the wearer's range increment increases by 50ft when thrown.
Amulet of Delay: sounds made by the wearer delayed 1d4 rounds
Staff of Disintegration: on use the staff disintegrates. One use.
Coin of Indecision: A gold coin with the word "YES" on one side and the word "NO" on the other. If it is flipped while asking a question, the coin always lands on edge.
Magic Stone: a stone which registered as a powerful magic item when Detect Magic item is cast on it, but does nothing else.
Ring of Invulnerability: The ring can never be destroyed.
Ring of Invisibility: When worn, this ring becomes invisible.
Spoon of Cooking: When held, make a DC 12 Wisdom save or be dominated to make a delicious meal out of materials currently available to you.
The Dog Whistle: This is a common whistle, except that when blown it makes no noise. However, 1d10 rounds later, a dog will be summoned (as per summon nature's ally 1). This dog does not obey the commands of the whistle blower, or anyone else, and if the whistle is blown again, if it is attacked or if anyone attempts to use a spell or skill on it, it runs away immediately. After 1d4 minutes, it will marks its territory (possibly on a PC or NPC, this is a ranged touch attack with a range of 5 feet and a +10 bonus to hit) and then disappears. If the dog is killed, its remains vanish within 1 round and it cannot be summoned again for a week.
The Sword of Damoclese: A magic blade from legendary tales. It would act as a Dancing Scimitar for anyone who knows the command word - unfortunately that command word is in a forgotten tongue for a dead race who's physiology was capable of producing completely unique sounds. Without the command word, then this sword will imprint itself on a random individual and hang 3 feet above their head (pointed down, as though about to fall and impale their skull), soft of like a giant metal exclamation point or a very dangerous ion stone. If it is unable to maintain this position (due to a low ceiling or persistent attempts to catch it), it will disappear, turning invisible, and silently stalk its intended 'master' for a time. It will always re-appear shortly before the person awakens from sleep, so that the first thing they see in the morning is a sword a few inches above their nose, suspended in mid-air. A character who is being followed by this sword who enters an anti-magic field should make a Dex save (DC 15) to avoid getting skewered by the falling blade. On a successful Dexterity check (also DC 15), the character can attempt to wrest the sword out of the air and wield it as a weapon. Each round they wield the blade, however, they take a -4 circumstance penalty to attack and damage (because the sword is uncooperative) and must make a DC 15 Strength check. Immediately after losing control of the sword, it will flat them for 1d6 non-lethal damage in retribution before taking it's place again (or turning invisible, if it's feeling spiteful).
Earmuffs of Songs: A special theme song plays for your character (out of no where) every time he does something interesting, but he can't hear it himself.
Amulet of Oppositional Emotion: Whatever the character's emotion is, its shown the opposite on his face. If he's sad, he'll smile, if he's fighting he'll giggle like a school girl, etc.
Tome of Uselessness: Whenever this plain brown tome is opened, it closes (as the Open/Close spell).
Presto's Hat: When they cast a spell using the magic hat, pick a word at random. The player must immediately create a rhyme using that word which also described what the spell should do. If they quickly and correctly do so, then apply a random beneficial effect (metamagic, secondary healing or protection effect, auto-hit, etc). If they delay, stumble in their words, or can't think of anything, they lose the spell and something weird happen.
Grapeberry: A magical grape with the shape, colour, texture, and flavour of a strawberry.
The Item: This innocent looking item has a strange effect on those who hear of it. They are consumed with the desire to own the Item. The owner of the Item feels it to be one of his most precious possessions and cannot be persuaded to part with it. However, this does not stop him from giving the Item away as a gift. Just from selling it. The current owner will do the best they can to both keep the Item secure, and keep it close to their person at all times.
If it is stolen it's owner, the former owner will seek it out. The new owner will be affected by the magic of the Item as above.
Mug of Dwarven Hate: Any alcoholic beverage placed into the cup instantly becomes alcohol-free and tastes of raw sewage.
Rod of the Magician: This Rod appears to be magical, but an Identify spell yields no information other than an activation word: "Kaboom." When the Command Word is stated (as a Full Round Action), a Prestidigitation spell is activated to make a popping sound and a flash. Afterwards, a flag is unrolled from the top of the rod. The flag reads "Bang!"
Crossbow of Inner Torment: This is nothing more than a masterwork crossbow which always targets the user. It cannot be fired any other way.
Sack of Infinite Capacity: As long as anything you put into it weighs less than 1/10th of a pound, anything put into this sack will weigh nothing at all!
Amulet of Drop Bear Repellent: When worn drops bears will not attack you. Or will they?
The Chair of Steadiness: This chair can be moved but cannot be tipped over by anything less than a DC 35 Strength check.
Book of Confusion: The letters in this book always appear to be upside down, even if viewed from different directions at the same time.
Sharpened Staff of Iron: This Staff is actually made out of iron and is quite sharp. Deals 1d8 + Strength damage per hit.
Ring of Nonvisibility: You become invisible, as long as no one is looking at you.
Shirt of Pants: As long as you wear this item, you are immune to the naked status.
Hat of Disguise Self: Once per day on command this hat will cast Disguise Self. On itself.
Mantle of Awe: On entering a room with the mantle in one's possession, a flock of doves fly through the doorway from behind you, a fanfare plays and an angelic chorus can be heard singing a verse. The larger the room, the more impressive the effect (more doves, longer angelic chorus).
Created for a noble who wished to make a good impression at a party. Has the unfortunate effect of activating every time one enters a room. Every room. This fact was discovered by a scoundrel who robbed the original owner and tried (failing) to escape.
Lenses of the Wary Tyrant: These lenses make orphans glow with a subtle golden light, to the wearer.
A set of these was commissioned for use by an evil despot who had cottoned on to the fact that those same intrepid heroes that overthrow despots are, 95 times out of a hundred, orphans. Elite death squads were equipped with the lenses and ordered to cull the population in what turned out to be one of the most successful evil reigns in history.
When worn by an orphan, has the unfortunate effect of applying the golden light to oneself, rendering one effectively colorblind (you see everything in shades of gold) and halving one's ability to see in the dark.
The Stone of Jordan: This small ring, set with a plain piece of gray sandstone, weighing .01 pounds (weight is important here, and should be tracked). It has an aura of moderate conjuration. Every hour the user spends active, the stone duplicates itself, with the copy appearing somewhere on the owner's person. Each copied ring retains the duplication quality. As such, after two hours of activity, the user will have 4 Stones of Jordan. After ten hours, they will have 512 in their possession. After sixteen hours, they will have 32,768.
The duplication effect does not tend to apply to discarded rings, but works as a conjuration effect that tracks the most recent individual to use the effect. In short, if one picks up the ring and it activates while in their ownership, the duplication effect will only work for that individual, until they go 72 hours without triggering the effect, at which point the duplication effect fades on all but one of the rings and other rings crumble to sand. (The same will occur to any ring that one attempts to harvest for crude materials) This was implemented as a safeguard to keep the ring from carpeting the world.
Owners of the Stone of Jordan will find that, much like sand, the rings will get everywhere. The duplication effect is indiscriminate and places the rings around armor straps, in pockets, hanging from buttons, inside scroll cases, in the recesses of bedrolls, unfortunately in certain body cavities, and so on. Failure to find that one last ring will result in one's backpacks and pockets overflowing with the damned things by the end of the day.
Created by a gnome wizard as a gift to his betrothed, likely with some kitschy sentiment like "My love for you redoubles every hour." Ended in tragedy when the fiance was found buried under tens of thousands of the things.
The Magic Ring of Magic Detection: This magical ring will glow very softly if it is within 10 feet of any magic items including itself (must be within 5 feet of the ring and make a DC 10 Perception check to notice it).
The Infinite Book of Magic Reading: This book is indecipherable without the use of the Read Magic spell. The front and back cover of the book are covered in runes which, when deciphered, promise to teach the reader of every page of the book how to cast spells more efficiently. The first page of the book contains a modified version of the spell Read Magic, which can only be used to read the second page, which contains a modified version of Read Magic which can only be used to read the third page, etc. The book has an infinite number of pages.
The Bottomless Mug: This ordinary looking mug does nothing until the bottom touches any liquid. At which point the bottom disappears. For some reason most pubs ban anyone who asks for it to be filled up
Flanagan's Endless Flask: Contains an endless supply of alcohol, if you're sober.
Scroll of Literacy: Caster becomes Literate.
Scroll of Cure Blindness: Caster is cured of Blindness
Potion of True Resurection: True Resurection on a potion, not much to explain.
Potion of Gate: The gate spell is cast ... inside of you, a random monster comes out of it, it's hostile to the drinker and will proceed to burst out of the drinker upon coming out of the gate.
Potion of Time Stop: Your digestive system acts freely for 1d4 +1 rounds.
Boots of Levitation: These boots levitate when not worn.
Bastard Sword: This sword goes into a frenzy when his creator is mentioned.
Duck of Many Things: This duck lays 1d4 eggs a day, random mundane oddities are found in the eggs. The duck tends to lay them in hidden places.
Cloak of Billowing: this cloak will always billow dramatically behind the wearer, it has no other effects.
Amulet of Feather Fall: When worn, this amulet turns into a feather and falls to the ground.
Ring of Gygaxian Teleportation: This ring will teleport you d% of the distance to your target location. You will then have a CR inappropriate random encounter: roll initiative.
Opportunistic Sword: This weapon will sprout small metallic legs and run away when no one is watching.
Hammer of Dwarven Thrower: When wielded by a dwarf, this hammer throws the dwarf 30 ft in a random direction.
Bag of Holding: Upon first opening the bag, a voice speaks in a language the user can understand. The user is told the bag contains important information the user needs to know. It then tells the user to hang on a second while it rummages through its memory. The bag speaks no more.
Partisan Cravat: This brightly colored tie is sympathetic and will change its hue to a colour calculated to cause the maximum amount of hostility in anyone who sees it.
Feather of Ring Falling: Anyone holding this feather have their rings fall off.
Cannon of Canon: A cannon that when loaded with a piece of literature and fired at a church immediately causes whatever is in the literature to become part of the canon of that religion.
Rod of Wander: A rod that causes the owner to have no sense of direction.
Relative Pole: A twenty foot pole that decreases in length as your speed increases.
Pole Vault: A large Safe that is always filled with poles of various lengths, ranging from 10' to 42'
Polish Remover: A duel purpose potion that when rubbed on an object causes it to no longer be shiny. Also causes anyone from Poland to disappear.
The Axe of Bar: Whenever a trap is spotted by the owner this axe immediately points to the trap and loudly announces "IT'S A TRAP!"
Potable Hole: A hole that is not portable, but is full of water that is safe to drink.
Potion of Regurgitation: a potion that immediately causes the user to vomit
Violin of Violence: A violin that when played produces music so bad that all within 20' immediatly become hostile

goto124
2015-03-10, 07:12 PM
I imagine a lot of those items could be used by giving it to your enemy :D

The Stone of Jordan: [snip] Every hour the user spends active, the stone duplicates itself,
[snip]
Feather of Ring Falling: Anyone holding this feather have their rings fall off.

Hmm!

Dire Moose
2015-03-10, 08:02 PM
A magic weapon that loudly insults its wielder whenever he/she misses.

Zyzzyva
2015-03-10, 09:17 PM
I was always a fan of the good old "staff that always balances on its end". Apparently useless, full of so many uses for clever players.

Razaele
2015-03-10, 10:08 PM
Oh man, the response for this has been awesome! I'm listing all of these down so I'll have some random items handy when I need to suddenly supply some loot. If you guys have more ideas, by all means, please keep the ball rolling. :smallbiggrin:

goto124
2015-03-10, 10:44 PM
Ball of Rolling: It keeps rolling and rolling and rolling...

Bulhakov
2015-03-11, 04:39 AM
Some of the stuff I've used in my games:

Refill mug - an RPG classic - a mug/cup/glass that fills up with any (non-poisonous and non-magical) liquid the owner has tasted (it has some potential for abuse with non-magical stimulant drugs or highly flammable dwarven spirits)

Mirror of true seeing - a small hand-held mirror that will not reflect illusions

Indestructible rubber glove - the glove cannot be pierced (but the hand can be crushed) or penetrated by any chemical, it's also an incredible isolator of temperature

Magical map - basically google-maps in magical scroll form, in my games it was limited to general areas the map has physcially been to, but at after some magical upgrading/attunement it also had a "satellite photo" option with a 24h delay

Storm_Of_Snow
2015-03-11, 06:21 AM
Coin of Indecision: A gold coin with the word "YES" on one side and the word "NO" on the other. If it is flipped while asking a question, the coin always lands on edge.

What happens if the question you ask is "Will this coin land on it's edge?" :smallwink:

Violin of Violence: A violin that when played produces music so bad that all within 20' immediatly become hostile
Surely it should be a saxophone? After all, everyone's heard of Sax and Violence. :smallbiggrin:

Magical map - basically google-maps in magical scroll form, in my games it was limited to general areas the map has physcially been to, but at after some magical upgrading/attunement it also had a "satellite photo" option with a 24h delay
I came up with something similar as a magical table for a rich and powerful NPC, although rather than the table having to be taken somewhere, it could copy the information from physical maps that had been placed on top of it for a certain amount of time.

arcane_asp
2015-03-11, 07:00 AM
Examples from games I have run:

Ring of Control Bee
Wearer can mentally control ONE single bee within 30 feet of him/herself. That bee can only attempt tasks it would understand (ie fly to a location, land, collect pollen). If the bee acts in a way contrary to the rest of its fellow bee swarm, they will mob it as an outsider, and sting it to death.

Belt of the Holding Mouth
Wearer becomes convinced that his mouth has a storage capacity similar to that of a bag of holding, and no amount of persuasion can convince him otherwise. Soft stuffs just bulge out his cheeks, but metal and stone stuffs can seriously injure. Not to mention the dangers of choking...

Trymons Rainbow Candle
A striped candle made of multiple colours of wax. The light given off by the candle varies depending on which coloured strata of wax it has burned down to.

Socks of Expediency
Grey woollen socks that - given the correct command word, they will crawl off the wearers feet and roll into a ball with each other. Should they become dirty for any reason they will sulk and refuse to respond to the command word until given a thorough washing.

BootStrapTommy
2015-03-11, 11:34 AM
What happens if the question you ask is "Will this coin land on it's edge?" :smallwink:
It always lands on its side. So it would land on its side.

Jay R
2015-03-11, 11:52 AM
Everfresh Ring - The wearer of the ring will always look their best. Their hair will never be mussed, their clothes will always be pristine, etc, and they will always smell super great. If the wearer takes off the ring, their clothes, hair, etc. will revert to their normal state. (One of my players is roleplaying a very fussy and good-looking nobleman) :smallbiggrin:

So that's how the Great Leslie did it!

Joe the Rat
2015-03-11, 12:16 PM
The Homing Spoon and Bowl. An ornately decorated spoon, when not held tightly, will orient itself to point the handle away from (and consequently, its bowl towards) the center of the matching bowl. Originally made to by a butterfingered wizard to keep from dropping his spoon in his soup, it makes a great homing device.

So that's how the Great Leslie did it!
MAX!!!

Emperordaniel
2015-03-11, 02:11 PM
Potion of True Resurrection: True Resurrection on a potion, not much to explain.

Hey, it'd be useful for avoiding the level loss associated with ordinary resurrection...

BootStrapTommy
2015-03-11, 02:44 PM
Hey, it'd be useful for avoiding the level loss associated with ordinary resurrection...
Some of the things on the list are just there to see who's paying attention.

Joe the Rat
2015-03-11, 03:59 PM

Potion of True Resurection: True Resurection on a potion, not much to explain.

...if you were the potion.

Now I'm not sure which I like better: A potion that recreates a potion that has been consumed, or an Awakened Potion of Diminution. "I jump down the bugbear's throat."

In seriousness, the challenge of a resurrection potion is getting the dead to drink.

BootStrapTommy
2015-03-11, 04:19 PM
...if you were the potion.

Some of the things on the list are just there to see who's paying attention. :smallwink:

Acacia OnnaStik
2015-03-11, 05:27 PM
Board of the Poor Loser: A chess set (or similar board game) which can autonomously play against its owner... but not very well. When it loses, it will sulk, refusing to play again for 2d4 days.

Blind Man's Dice: When rolled, such a die loudly announces what side it just landed on.

goto124
2015-03-11, 07:18 PM
We were discussing a blind campaign in another thread...