PDA

View Full Version : Druid ACF

Naez
2015-03-10, 04:15 AM
I recently started playing in a low level gestalt game as a druid/ranger. The party at the moment is a Rogue/Archivist, Wizard/Fighter, and a Swordsage/nothing-but-one-level-dips. Anyway our wizard is focusing on summons so I was looking to see if there was anything I could trade out spontaneous SNA for so I wouldn't step on his toes. The only options I found were Spontaneous rejuvenation and spontaneous affliction both of which are abysmally bad.

DrKerosene
2015-03-10, 04:24 AM
The only option I think you missed was the Druidic Avenger. You lose more than just the spontaneous casting, but might be able to Rage in animal form.

Edit: there is apparently a Halfling racial ACF that replaces the levels 1-5 spells of your spontaneous casting with other spells, but you still have SNA for spell levels 6+ I think.

Doc_Maynot
2015-03-10, 07:12 AM
In addition are the following:

Spontaneous Affliction (EoE, p 21): lose ability to spontaneous SNA, gain ability to sicken humanoids.
Spontaneous Rejuvenation (PHB 2, p 39): Lose spontaneous SNA spells. Gain the ability to sacrifice spells to give allies fast healing.

atemu1234
2015-03-10, 07:19 AM
In addition are the following:

Spontaneous Affliction (EoE, p 21): lose ability to spontaneous SNA, gain ability to sicken humanoids.
Spontaneous Rejuvenation (PHB 2, p 39): Lose spontaneous SNA spells. Gain the ability to sacrifice spells to give allies fast healing.

Basically it all depends on the niche you want to operate in.

eggynack
2015-03-10, 09:27 AM
There really isn't much that's worth it. Your best option is probably sidhe scholar (Dragon Magazine #339, 90), which mostly adds some spells/day and the evil domain to your spell list. Pretty reasonable tradeoff, all in all, though it obviously requires that you be allowed dragon magazine stuff.

Hiro Quester
2015-03-10, 11:13 AM
Your group doesn't have a cleric, so I'm guessing your druid is the group's healer.

The spontaneous healer feat might be a good trade off. Being able to spontaneously convert spells to heals will be useful.

It saves you from having to prepare cure spells, which is a big bonus in flexibility.

Not sure it's worth trading off SNA for it though. My Druid is summoning a lot, because the damage caused by a well placed crocodile or dire old far exceeds anything my blast spells can do. And it frees me up to do other things while the animal attacks.

Edit: not that this is an official ACF. But it's something a reasonable DM might consider.

eggynack
2015-03-10, 11:31 AM
A big problem with a summoning for healing trade, beyond the fact that summoning is just ridiculously better, is that unicorns are a thing. At level seven, cure critical wounds is curing 25 points on average, while a unicorn summons out of the same slot is curing 42.5 on average. It's just a lot better, and I don't think it ever really stops being better. Yeah, there are levels where you don't have the ability, and one could probably contrive a situation where a mass cure does more work,

Y'know, honestly, I'd advise just taking the redundancy hit. Wizard summoning and druid summoning are very different, with the former emphasizing spell-likes and versatility, and the latter emphasizing massive face punches. If the wizard is trying to use wizard summoning for face punches, then he'll probably be overshadowed, but at that point you might just want to switch character sheets. Druid would be way better at doing the thing he wants to do, and wizard would probably be better at doing the thing you want to do. You probably shouldn't build with a crazy summoning focus, but just having access when you need it is more powerful than most things you can do with the ability otherwise.

Edit: Alternatively, if you just want something regardless of legality, then swapping your summoning for a domain of your choice is something I think is a pretty even trade. It's something that really ups your spell versatility, which is a big part of what you're losing out of trading away summoning.