PDA

View Full Version : adventure module for no spellcaster setting

KingSmitty
2015-03-10, 09:33 AM
I would like to run a module in a non magic campaign. currently the party is level 7 Gestalt and I would like to add a module to this current campaign. I was looking at Red Hand of doom and was wondering how much effort that would take to adapt this to my campaign

other modules that would work at a non magic setting my players would very much enjoy a sweeping battle of some sort and I am running out of ideas so a module would be fun and helpful to save me some time
any ideas would be appreciated thank you

Crake
2015-03-10, 10:19 AM
I would like to run a module in a non magic campaign. currently the party is level 7 Gestalt and I would like to add a module to this current campaign. I was looking at Red Hand of doom and was wondering how much effort that would take to adapt this to my campaign

other modules that would work at a non magic setting my players would very much enjoy a sweeping battle of some sort and I am running out of ideas so a module would be fun and helpful to save me some time
any ideas would be appreciated thank you

Considering magic is a very inherent part of the DnD system, you'd be unlikely to find any sort of module that doesn't involve some kind of magic to a degree. What exactly do you mean when you say no-magic, because off the top of my head I can think of at least 2 interpretations: No magic in the hands of mortals (no spellcasters etc) but still possibly having ancient magical items from a lost age or the like, and including magical creatures, or, a 100% completely mundane setting, no magic at all, and no magical creatures of any kind, no Sp or Su abilities exist whatsoever (note this rules out many classes).

ksbsnowowl
2015-03-10, 10:59 AM
I ran a heavily converted version of RHoD (army of tanarukk and trolls) for a gestalt party. It was tons of fun.

If there is no mortal magic, but dragons still have magic... it will be tough. Especially the Battle of Brindol... that will be a suicide run. There is no way the PC's survive that number of encounters without healing magic.

It would be tough, but they could probably survive the early stages of the adventure.

We need more info on what exactly "no magic" means.

KingSmitty
2015-03-10, 08:44 PM
i probably should've said no spell casting, and ill fix the title to reflect that.

I do understand I'll have to rework most adventures to fit with this current ruleset i have in place. Apart from being higher level than recommended for RHOD (currently 7) i know keeping the dragons and lich are important to the plot of RHOD, but would be quite mean to put up against a party of hardened warriors. Pulling my punches on damage would obviously help, but they'd still have no match for a dragon's mobility or a defense against their breath weapons. Besides, I wouldn't be against cutting a large portion of those encounters out and adding my own spin to things.

Personally, I'm more intrigued by the encounters with the hobgoblins, especially Drellins Ferry, and I'm wondering if there are any other good sources to run big battles, or fun scenarios that are similar this.