PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Fey template question

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-10, 03:50 PM
Im working on making a bard atm, so of course races and templates are on my list of things to check out
While I love the saint template, I dont think I will be using it this time. That being said, I came across the half fey template, as well as the Unseelie Fey template.

I thought for a bit trying to figure out how I may be able to use both of these, and I would like the opinions of you guys if this would work.

-A template changes your base creature type (undecided atm) to fey, and you keep all your bonuses.
-Unseelie Fey makes you evil, and as these are both kinda genetic related, I would assume they are both Inherited templates. If one or both are not, please inform me on how one would change into one.
-If I was to use both templates as inherited, would that be like saying I was born from a parent of both fey types, or is this combo even doable?

Just trying to gain as much CHA as I can with as little LA as I can.
Magic blooded is also going to be added, and im not taking any race with monster hit die unless they somehow stack with bard.

Just for a bit of insight - the bard I am making is one of pure non combat nature. both my current group and a few of my friends feel that bards are underpowered or useless, so I plan to show them just how horrifying they can be.

Pluto!
2015-03-10, 06:07 PM
Using Unseelie Fey to show that Bards aren't useless is like using scorpion whip proficiency and geometrically challenging dice to show that Samurai aren't useless.

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-10, 06:12 PM
Under most situations, I would not be attempting to make a template using so many tier 1 templates and questionably broken combos, but we are fighting things well above our cr, and a native divine rank god is about to start wrecking the world.
I dont see an issue with +6 total cha and a nice aura at a 0la after all but the half fey template :P

General Sajaru
2015-03-10, 07:11 PM
While it may not be specifically stated, I'm pretty sure that both of those templates assume that one parent was a Fey (Unseelie or otherwise) and the other something else. Although, briefly reading the Unseelie Fey template, I guess there's no reason you couldn't add it to the Half-Fey template, if you're looking for optimization, which it seems like you are. If I were your DM, I might not allow it, but if yours does, I'd say go for it.

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-10, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback. ive decided to go
Unseelie Fey, Magic Blooded, Star Elf,
La0, with very nice bonuses. A + to int would be nice, but I am a big fan of star elfs as a race - even more so for builds focusing around beauty and motion.

Im going to call this my uncomfortably beautiful bard build :P

Now I get to figure out just what combo of prc's I plan to take with this guy :P

atemu1234
2015-03-10, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the feedback. ive decided to go
Unseelie Fey, Magic Blooded, Star Elf,
La0, with very nice bonuses. A + to int would be nice, but I am a big fan of star elfs as a race - even more so for builds focusing around beauty and motion.

Im going to call this my uncomfortably beautiful bard build :P

Now I get to figure out just what combo of prc's I plan to take with this guy :P

Ah. The Bishonen Bard, one of my favourite things to play. Up there with Bishonen Rogues.

Basically I like Bishonens.

As a bard, I'm curious what you really need intelligence for; you already have enough skill points, you don't need to invest more than ten in that.

Sian
2015-03-11, 01:31 AM
following the theme you seem to be aiming at, Unadvanced Feytouched (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) might be what you're looking for, as to not overly stack templates

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-11, 01:55 AM
Well to answer your question about skills, I may very well change that based on the answer I have a question to.

So I am going to pick up Bardic Knack and Jack of all Trades. If my DM will allow all things related to bardic knowledge to stack onto this changed version of it, I am thinking of picking up
5 ranks in Know - History (+2 synergy bonus)
Obscure Lore feat - (+3 or 4 to bardic knowledge, there seems to be a discrepancy)
Thinking about Bardic Sage, but not 100% sure on that yet (+2 bonus again)

All together that is a nice +7 or 8 to all skills before levels or stats are added.

The reason for a high int is still skill points tho. Skill points are life for what I am planing. Also, its 32 point buy, 1 for 1, I can spare :P

Since I will have a lot less skills to need to worry about, I will simply be spending those points on other things, such as skill tricks and what not.

Are there any other synergy bonuses? I know I saw one a while back related to a non knowledge skill, but I cant remember what it was.

That fey touched is only a 1 level dip to gain immunity to mind effecting? holy hell!
However, that would in theory make me immune to many of my moral bonuses, would it not?

Heliomance
2015-03-11, 07:06 AM
If you're wanting to show the true power of Bards, don't use Unseelie Fey. Because to unleash the true Bardic horror, you need to be Good. Specifically, you need to be eligible to take the Words of Creation feat.

In case you're not already aware, Word of Creation, from the Book of Exalted Deeds, allows you to double to bonus of your Inspire Courage for the price of taking a small amount of subdual damage.

You probably want to be a Silverbrow Human, or maybe a Spellscale, because then you can add in Dragonfire Inspiration. Add Song of the Heart, Vest of Legends or whatever it is, and you can get your Inspire Courage adding something like 12d6 damage to all your allies' attacks.

Then take Sublime Chord, and add 9th level casting to that. Maybe take Leadership, and have another Bard, also optimising Inspire Courage and giving either the standard bonuses, or a different flavour of Dragonfire Inspiration. Maybe send him into Warchanter so he can do both at the same time.