PDA

View Full Version : Container Capacity

Xetheral
2015-03-10, 05:21 PM
I just noticed the container capacity chart on page 153 of the PHB, according to which a backpack only holds 30 pounds? Apparently a backpack is no bigger than a sack?

That seems... problematic, to the point of being nonsensical. Yes, many things can be strapped to the outside of the pack, but 30 pounds is an extremely small amount. It practically requires most characters to be festooned with an improbable number of pouches to hold things like rations and clothing.

Also, the Dungeoneer's Pack on the list of Equipment Packs on page 151 goes far over that limit. 10 days of rations, 10 torches, 10 pitons, a tinderbox, a crowbar, and a hammer are 41.5 pounds all by themselves, and none of those can go outside the pack because they can't get wet. That's before other essentials like spare clothing. Maybe you can convince your DM that you don't care if the tools rust? That frees up 8 pounds, but is still over the weight limit. The Diplomat's Pack similarly clocks in at 31 pounds, despite holding no food at all.

In my own games it's easy enough to houserule the weight limit up to 80 or 100 pounds, or to simply ignore encumbrance altogether, but it almost seems to be a necessary houserule. Is there anyone outside AL that plays this rule straight? If so, does it create as many problems as it would seem to?

Grand Warchief
2015-03-10, 06:09 PM
I just noticed the container capacity chart on page 153 of the PHB, according to which a backpack only holds 30 pounds? Apparently a backpack is no bigger than a sack?

That seems... problematic, to the point of being nonsensical. Yes, many things can be strapped to the outside of the pack, but 30 pounds is an extremely small amount. It practically requires most characters to be festooned with an improbable number of pouches to hold things like rations and clothing.

Also, the Dungeoneer's Pack on the list of Equipment Packs on page 151 goes far over that limit. 10 days of rations, 10 torches, 10 pitons, a tinderbox, a crowbar, and a hammer are 41.5 pounds all by themselves, and none of those can go outside the pack because they can't get wet. That's before other essentials like spare clothing. Maybe you can convince your DM that you don't care if the tools rust? That frees up 8 pounds, but is still over the weight limit. The Diplomat's Pack similarly clocks in at 31 pounds, despite holding no food at all.

In my own games it's easy enough to houserule the weight limit up to 80 or 100 pounds, or to simply ignore encumbrance altogether, but it almost seems to be a necessary houserule. Is there anyone outside AL that plays this rule straight? If so, does it create as many problems as it would seem to?

Don't even get me started on carrying capacity. Some of the starting equipments will put you in a state of burdened right from the get go. Oh your equipment exceeds your str score times 5, -10 feet of movement. The weights in this edition suck. My Paladin, with str 16, has to drop his pack at the start of combat or only have 20 foot movement.

pwykersotz
2015-03-10, 07:11 PM
Don't even get me started on carrying capacity. Some of the starting equipments will put you in a state of burdened right from the get go. Oh your equipment exceeds your str score times 5, -10 feet of movement. The weights in this edition suck. My Paladin, with str 16, has to drop his pack at the start of combat or only have 20 foot movement.

This is somewhat beside the point, but that seems pretty normal. I know if I had to be in a deadly fight, I'd want to drop my pack. Fortunately that's a non-action. I can understand how it makes the game a little more tricky, but it's not bad on simulation. At least as far as I can see.

Knaight
2015-03-10, 07:26 PM
This is somewhat beside the point, but that seems pretty normal. I know if I had to be in a deadly fight, I'd want to drop my pack. Fortunately that's a non-action. I can understand how it makes the game a little more tricky, but it's not bad on simulation. At least as far as I can see.

The dramatic reduction in walking speed is a bit weird on the simulation end, as is the mass restriction for containers in the first place (a barrel of water will hold more mass than the exact same barrel full of oil, and will probably be able to contain being full of mercury without breaking, which would be 13 times as heavy - volume makes more sense here, and the expected densities of travel good vary).

Fortunately, carrying capacity is one of those things which can be worked around really easily, and ignoring encumbrance is the time honored way to do it.

Xetheral
2015-03-10, 07:52 PM
Fortunately, carrying capacity is one of those things which can be worked around really easily, and ignoring encumbrance is the time honored way to do it.

Indeed. Despite the hilarious mental image of AL DM's auditing the weight of items in characters' backpacks, I'm guessing even they don't bother.