PDA

View Full Version : Dragon based party issues

weckar
2015-03-10, 06:19 PM
So, we started a new campaign. TPK and all that. It happens.
Now, I am taking over DMing, and decided to go for a multiplanar campaign starting from Eberron.
For now, I have three of the character concepts that they came up with individually (out of 4) and I couldn't be happier.

-Aasimar Paladin of Siberys
-Gnome Dragonborn of Eberron (heart) Dragonfire Adept
-Stony Draconic Human Bard (a devotee of Khyber)

Now, based on this the first two should get themselves 8 class levels and the third should get 7.

I have two issues with this brilliant party though:
1. Any idea what the 4th player could do?
2. They are looking at dragon-related prestige classes. Is there anything viable for any of them?

As always, thank you all in advance

Gizmo777
2015-03-10, 06:33 PM
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=nk53atpftef2k7ta9o79ja7ru7&topic=270.0

This guy has converted monsters into class levels using rules given in one of the official books. Check it out.

weckar
2015-03-10, 06:35 PM
Not really what I was after. They don't want to BECOME dragons, really. Not more than they already are. Not initially. But I know there are prestige classes out there that strongly relate to dragons in other ways.... I just could never track em all down, or find the good ones.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-10, 06:53 PM
Dragon Devotee, Vassal of Bahumut and Dragon Disciple spring to mind. Id check out Draconomicon as it has some decent PrCs

Troacctid
2015-03-10, 07:07 PM
Well, the Dragonfire Adept is about as dragony as he/she is likely to get. The Paladin might be interested in a draconic mount--there are some options for that in the Draconomicon. The Bard might be interested in the Dragonfire Inspiration feat, and possibly the Dragonsong Lyrist prestige class.

weckar
2015-03-10, 07:10 PM
the DFA is actually looking into Dragon Samurai, but won't have the BAB to pull it off...

Troacctid
2015-03-10, 07:18 PM
DFA is a class that really does not need or want any prestige classes. If you're taking it, you might as well take all 20 levels of it.

There are some prestige classes that work with it, but for the most part they are not worth taking unless the DM is willing to houserule them to be more compatible with DFA. Even then, the good ones are not usually dragon-themed. Dragon Samurai is definitely not a good match (and, IIRC, is a poorly-designed and underpowered class in general).

I guess a good option for a DFA looking for an extra-dragony prestige class would be to multiclass as a Cleric of Bahamut and take 10 levels of Eldritch Disciple. In that case, I'd advise adapting the prestige class's abilities to be compatible with the DFA's breath weapon instead of a Warlock's eldritch blast. And consider giving the player new breath effects at the appropriate levels as well, since those are supposed to take the place of a Warlock's essence and shape invocations (hence justifying why the DFA has fewer invocations known), so it's not really fair that they aren't advanced by prestige classes.

weckar
2015-03-10, 07:22 PM
We have previously houseruled the Dragon Samurai's poorly described breath stacking ability to always apply, thereby it would advance the dragonbreath damage faster at the cost of invocations and effects.