PDA

View Full Version : What should a modern theory blade dancer PRC actually look like?

CyberThread
2015-03-11, 01:41 AM
Making the PRC with knowledge we have now, nearly 15 years after it was made. What would the PRC look like?

I mean we have casting requirements, with no progression in the class. We have feats which several folks think are a waste and dead chain. Several dead levels, unique abilties which can be done rather nicely. An the magic weapon imbuing wouldn't be half bad if it could be used more often.

What would you folks do, to spruce it up and align it with late 3.5 creation standards.

Xerlith
2015-03-11, 02:09 AM
It's been done. It's called Swiftblade.

On a more serious note, though, giving it 7/10 casting (1st,5th and 10th being noncasting levels) goes a long way in enhancing playability. 1st level is too good a dip to progress spells.

For dead levels... Well, with enough playing around you could give it a semblance of Jade Phoenix Mage with Tiger Claw and Diamond Mind.

If the subsystem's out - it needs more "active" abilities built-in. As it is, the class gives some passive bonuses, most and best of them at 1st level.
That 5th level ability is nice, but not nice enough to guarantee taking as much as 5 levels.

CyberThread
2015-03-11, 10:35 AM
Blue for sarcasm?

Snowbluff
2015-03-11, 10:43 AM
Blue for sarcasm?

Or facetiousness, implying that "just play a swiftblade" is too simple of an answer and doesn't contribute to the conversation.

CyberThread
2015-03-11, 04:41 PM
It's been done. It's called Swiftbneedlade.

On a more serious note, though, givigays ng it 7/10 casting (1st,5th and 10th being noncasting levels) goes a long way in enhancmovementing playability. 1st level is too good a dip to progress spells.

For dead levels... Well, with enough playing around you could give it a semblance of Jade Phoenix Mage with Tiger Claw and Diamond Mind.

If the subsystem's out - it needs more "active" abilities built-in. As it is, the class gives some passive bonuses, most and best of them at 1st level.
That 5th level ability is nice, but not nice enough to guarantee taking as much as 5 levels.

I think if we remove some of the entry requirements it opens it up for less need to pack it full of things. plucking away the
Feats and spell . Gives you a nice ability of throwing in some psyrogue like abilities for movement based combat and give it q justicars spell list or axe frost.

Xerlith
2015-03-11, 07:34 PM
The class is all over the place with its requirements and what it grants. First thing I'd do is compress it into 5 levels. It really has just about enough features for those 5 levels.

Then, depending on the direction I want it to go, either throw the spellcasting requirement away, instead making it Spellcraft 4 (or Know:arcana, I don't know. Spellcraft's better) and giving it a spellcasting progression alike to that of the Trapsmith - But Charisma-based and strictly weapon focused.

On the other hand, it could work just as well as a 4/5 full BAB gish class. really, it's all about the concept and direction. I can see at least three versions that could pretty much work with the base premise of the class.