PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Running rules?

Kurald Galain
2015-03-11, 07:01 AM
A simple scenario: character A is running away for some reason, and character B is running after him, to overtake him and stop him from getting away. Assume we're not in combat and that both characters have the same 30' movement rate.

Now if they were on horseback, I would call for Ride skill checks, and if they were airborne I might call for Fly skill checks. But considering there's no Running skill, how would you resolve this?

Arc_knight25
2015-03-11, 07:06 AM
Depending on how long they are running for, you could go with a Con check to see who tires first.

torrasque666
2015-03-11, 07:19 AM
I'd look at the rules for chases (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/chases). If I weren't feeling so lazy I could find the actual book they're from, but most of the "other" rule systems tend to be from Ultimate Campaign.

Firest Kathon
2015-03-11, 11:12 AM
The rules you are looking for are in the Exploration and Movement (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/exploration-movement#TOC-Evasion-and-Pursuit) section, I think the chapter in the Core Rulebook is called Additional Rules.

When the speeds of the two concerned characters are equal, there's a simple way to resolve a chase: If one creature is pursuing another, both are moving at the same speed, and the chase continues for at least a few rounds, have them make opposed Dexterity checks to see who is the faster over those rounds. If the creature being chased wins, it escapes. If the pursuer wins, it catches the fleeing creature.

Sometimes a chase occurs overland and could last all day, with the two sides only occasionally getting glimpses of each other at a distance. In the case of a long chase, an opposed Constitution check made by all parties determines which can keep pace the longest. If the creature being chased rolls the highest, it gets away. If not, the chaser runs down its prey, outlasting it with stamina.

lsfreak
2015-03-11, 11:48 AM
How I'd resolve it by RAW: Using the rules Firest Kathon linked.
How I'd resolve it in a game I was running:

I'd make up rulings for "combat" that, instead of using actions for making attack rolls versus static defense, is things like using up some of your total movement (not the base speed) to make obstacles for your chaser to overcome. See something that can be flung into the path, spend 10 feet of movement and make a Dex check, opponent must make an opposed check of DC+5 to go through unhindered, DC+0 to also lose 10 feet of movement, and DC-5 to lose 20 feet of movement. Spend 10 feet of movement to shout something demoralizing to try and give the chasee a -4 to any checks for the next turn, or something taunting to give the chaser -4. Successive Con checks to allow you to set your speed equal to the chaser/chasee for the round.

Kurald Galain
2015-03-11, 12:00 PM
The rules you are looking for are in the Exploration and Movement (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/exploration-movement#TOC-Evasion-and-Pursuit) section, I think the chapter in the Core Rulebook is called Additional Rules.

Excellent, that's what I was looking for.

Personally I'm not fond of "minigames" where I first have to explain to players what actions they can take and what they do, so that rules out both the skill challenge rules Torrasque linked, and Lsfreak's suggestion.

lsfreak
2015-03-11, 12:08 PM
If it was a one-off thing, I probably would just do a quick roll. But if it came up more than a couple times, I'd write up the full list of rules and give it to the players so that there's something interactive to it (plus the people I'm starting to play with are mostly newer players and I have to explain the actions they can take anyways).