PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Making disposable mutant goblins

Brendanicus
2015-03-11, 08:40 AM
So the PC's in my game are advancing to the next stage of the adventure, one where the main antagonists will be Driders with Drow slaves in a fleshy, aberration-filled cave system. (Yup, I'm playing a heavily modified World's Largest Dungeon).

To make the Drow hordes less repetitive I want to add two types of creatures to their ranks: Living Spells and mutant goblin slaves. These goblins are the slaves of the Drow slaves, not even fit for hard labor thanks to their constant propensity for dieing. Can anybody think of any cool mutant goblin forms the Drow can occasionally fit into their attack ranks? I've thusfar thought of the following:

Regular goblins- The Driders (rightly) don't trust goblins for actual military service. They flee at the first sign of freedom. PC's will only encounter them in their stables or being transported as food-tribute to intelligent monsters.

Cataract goblins- Goblins mutated to be little more than watchdogs. Their bodies are withered and they walk on all fours. However, their main feature is that one of their eyes is massively over-sized, to the point that it is oozing puss and makes the goblin topheavy. Despite the big eye looking like it has a cataract, they have very keen sight. They are used as sentries, and bark upon seeing enemies. They flee to the nearest Drow/Driders when it comes to blows.

Goblin Tankards- What disposable slave race would be complete without suicide units? These bloated, lime-green, nearly transparent goblins are bulging with acid. They mindlessly charge when ordered to and explode in a caustic mess upon either dieing or reaching an enemy. The Driders don't make many of them, thanks to the inherent dangers involved and poor shelf-life. These guys are only used when the Driders want somebody dead and silent assassination is deemed too risky. In short, they are anti-PC weapons, perfect for a deadly random encounter in the night.

EDIT: This sorta counts, but one monster planned is an Athach. I'm re-fluffing them as a horrible, escaped experiment attempting to interbreed goblins and Orcs. It will be filling the role of beefy goblin, even if it will not be with Drow.

EDIT 2: I'm going to give the Spell-Storing goblins (See below) a 20 ft flight speed thanks to magical buoyancy. They have this because the living spells are a by-product of weird Gauth magic.

What mutant ideas do you guys have? The more disposable and eldritch the better!

Surpriser
2015-03-11, 08:56 AM
You mentioned living spells - what about goblin receptacles for them? After all, an uncontained spell might be quite dangerous...

Spell storing goblin - These goblins glow with an inner light, that moves within their bodies and bulges their skin. A living spell is captured within their body, incapable of escaping. On command of a drow or drider, the spell bursts forth (possibly killing the poor goblin) and attacks whatever creatures it finds. The same happens if the goblin is killed by anything else.

Another idea:

Elastogoblins - With rubberlike, elongated limbs, these goblins charge enemies in masses and try to grapple them to the ground with sheer force of numbers. Ideal for catching targets alive or harassing spellcasters. Give them reach and some Strength so they are actually effective (although a single goblin is easily dispatched, a horde of 10 of them grappling the same target can easily take an enemy out of the fight).

Maglubiyet
2015-03-11, 09:08 AM
Spider goblins that cling to the ceiling and drop on intruders. They can also scurry through giant webs. Seems appropriate with the driders.

Two- and three-headed goblins

Dolgrims (two brains, two mouths, four arms) -- from Eberron campaign setting

Tentacled goblins

Miniature goblins (Size: Tiny) that ride in harnesses on the backs of semi-intelligent Hopper goblins (modified to function as a giant toad)

Shrieker goblins -- blind, immobile goblins with elongate toes that root in one place and grow in "gardens". Shriek when intruders come near

Brendanicus
2015-03-11, 09:12 AM
(Various fantastic ideas)Spell-storing goblins sounds great! My players are going to love them! Coincidently, the Ranger got an Arrow of Fireball last session and thinks it's the coolest thing ever, so seeing a goddamn spell-storing Goblin will be a fun encounter. I'll probably have them replace the Cataracts.

I would use Elastogoblins, but one of the monsters in the area will be Chokers, and if I use Elastogoblins that would mean too many stretchy, Small-sized creeps in the kitchen. Plus the idea of Drow using goblins for a non-lethal takedown doesn't feel right to me. I feel like they would either be too proud to forgo an opportunity to show off their Rogue skills, or simply not keep a large enough number of them at one time to be effective. Gauths and Chimeras get hungry, you know?

ezkajii
2015-03-11, 09:22 AM
Double goblins - essentially, in a vain effort to make ordinary goblins combat-ready, the drow fused two individuals into one. It would be a little larger than normal, with two heads, four arms, four legs, increased Strength and Con scores but probably decreased Dex.

Savage burrowers - powerful claw attacks, burrow speed and/or earth glide, but only animal/minimal intelligence.

Spider goblins - basically just fused six extra arms onto a normal goblin, maybe get a climb speed

Sentry goblins - Mutated to extreme (ish) size, at a cost: Large or Huge goblins (big enough to completely block a typical passageway), bloated and beefy. Can hardly move from its spot, but hits hard.

Drow-blooded goblins: Tack on the drow's SLAs and sensory abilities

Bonespurred goblins: A horrific growth-enhancing project gone wrong, these goblins have spiky bone spurs growing out in all directions. Damage dealt to those grappling or attacking with natural or non-reach melee weapons, gain slam attack with piercing damage. Maybe only a single move or attack action each round due to the pain of the bone spurs. Can choose to stop resisting the bone growth and just explode in a suicide attack that deals piercing damage in a burst around them.

The goblin centipede: Slightly different from the movie, basically a string of goblin torsos strung together with a head on one end and legs on the other, using arms as the 'centipede's' legs.

Devourer goblin: Mouth as big as 1/2 its body, bite and swallow whole. Maybe even has an extradimensional space in its belly so it can devour creatures of its same size.

Flying monkey goblins: Big ol' bat wings, specialized with throwing weapons, lower intelligence than normal

Failed experiment: horrific, pained creature; maybe just like a head and arms, with tentacles dragging behind it; it leaves a slime trail as it gazes up at the party with its mouth hanging open. Can't do hardly any real attacks, but has an aura of Wisdom damage from the horror of looking at it.

Grafted goblin: has one-handed melee weapons grafted on where its forearms should be. Can use both weapons to attack each round with no penalty (superior multiweapon fighting)

Swarmers: Smaller than normal (maybe as small as diminutive), gain small climb speed, cumulative bonuses on attack and damage for each other swarmer goblin flanking a target (like... I don't remember now, there's another creature that does this).

Edit: ninja'd on a couple of these ideas

Orion Hamby
2015-03-18, 02:10 PM
A goblin without a soul the PC's have to kill the body then a spirit maybe make it a goblin ghost or something