PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Hobgoblin Were-vulture

Thurbane
2015-03-11, 04:33 PM
Hey all,

Just wondering what a good class might be for a Hobgoblin Were Vultre (natural lycanthrope) - NPC build, aiming for about CR 5 or 6.

Looking for some off-the-wall ideas.

Cheers - T

(Un)Inspired
2015-03-11, 04:36 PM
Binder, ur priest/sacred fist, setting sun focused swordsage.

Mr Adventurer
2015-03-12, 04:17 AM
Beguiler and a coterie of Harpies

Fouredged Sword
2015-03-12, 08:51 AM
I like Ur-Priest. Play up the scavenger mentality, maybe with a rogue dip for skill points/evasion and to cap the highest spell level at a target number (3rd level spells for the CR5/6 range).

Thurbane
2015-03-12, 02:39 PM
Not too sure about Ur-priest, at CR 6 he's going to be prettty limited. Maybe if I do a higher CR version might use it.

I really like the idea of teaming him up with a Harpy, though! :smallbiggrin:

(Un)Inspired
2015-03-12, 02:54 PM
Not too sure about Ur-priest, at CR 6 he's going to be prettty limited. Maybe if I do a higher CR version might use it.

I really like the idea of teaming him up with a Harpy, though! :smallbiggrin:

Ah yeah, good point about the CR thing. I think you should really think about going swordsage. Have him setting sun trip his enemies with flyby attacks, tossing them around then the harpies dive in to attack.

denthor
2015-03-12, 03:00 PM
do not know why you want this but if I were going to build this

Hobgoblin is 1 plus 1 for cr purposes

were anything adds about 3 cr since only silver hurts otherwise five hit point deduction.

Hobgoblin favored class is fighter so

Hobgoblin plus 1 level fighter is 2 plus werevulture is 3 more if you add cr for flight you are at you max right there.

If you want more change fighter for barbarian and you get extra hit points for rage and transformation

Mr Adventurer
2015-03-13, 03:14 AM
do not know why you want this but if I were going to build this

Hobgoblin is 1 plus 1 for cr purposes

were anything adds about 3 cr since only silver hurts otherwise five hit point deduction.

Hobgoblin favored class is fighter so

Hobgoblin plus 1 level fighter is 2 plus werevulture is 3 more if you add cr for flight you are at you max right there.

If you want more change fighter for barbarian and you get extra hit points for rage and transformation

No, that's Level Adjustment.

Fouredged Sword
2015-03-13, 02:47 PM
Hobgoblin, CR 1/2
Were_vulture, as a 1HD animal (I think), grants +CR2, so CR 2 total. That makes for 1 level of good fort save humanoid and animal, so +4 to fort saves.
Then you can add on levels of a base class and Ur-priest. You need a +4 will save, so something with a good will save is ideal, so lets go spellthief.

Now, these levels are likely associated class levels, so lets add the needed 4 to get to +4 willsave. Now you are at CR 6 with 6HD.

Now you meet the prereqs for Ur-Priest, so you can add levels of that. Ur-priest is out of left field as far as abilities go, so it is non-associated. Each 2 HD of Ur-priest adds 1 to the CR, meaning a

Hobgoblin-Werevulture (2RHD) Spellthief 4 / Urpriest 2 is CR 7. This is a hard encounter for a level 5 party.

This is a cowardly fighter who focuses on hit and run combat to steal the magic of the party spellcasters while avoiding direct combat. He even has stolen divine spells from the gods, and has a little self taught arcane magic, meaning he has some minor healing and self buffing ability.

If you are prepared to fight a flying enemy with DR 10/silver, you are going to be fine, but if not, he will strip the party of their magical offense and pick at them until they die at his leisure.