PDA

View Full Version : [Modern Town]

Lykan
2007-04-09, 11:17 PM
((Welcome, friends, to the revamp of D20 modern town!

Okay, considering the idea that Modern is almost too flexible, I guess some background might be required to help this go along.))

Around 10 years ago, a large mass of land appeared above the Atlantic ocean, about 100 kilometers southwest of Greenland. No one is quite sure how it got there... It just seemed to come out of nothing.

Yet this was not of much concern... The island yielded many natural resources, and whichever country claimed it as theirs would reach new economic heights. The United States, the UK, France, Russia, Canada, Denmark, Norway, Iceland, and even nations in the Pacific like China, Japan, and Australia all rushed to claim the island, though it ended up falling to none, itself becoming a separate nation. None of the people who came to claim it left, though, and it now is what it is today, a giant city floating midsea...

Now comes the issue of how a giant friggin island just came out of nowhere. Well, in layman’s terms, it actually did.

Many things had been coming out of nowhere, really, mostly living beings, though an occasional landmass or structure might as well. These things actually came from another reality, through the wall called "shadow" separating the worlds. Creatures... Like elves, dwarves, demons, and dragons now inhabit the world with us, but the strange thing is, no one seems to notice...

It’s not that most people don’t see them. It’s that they don’t notice them. The werewolf that just ran past you? Big dog. The ogre eating people in a back ally? Just a giant, homicidal bum. Fireball spell? Gas explosion.

There are, of course those who are conscious of Shadow. They might be helping them get along in our world, they may be striving to hunting them down, hell, they might not even care that they’re around. Neither one is good nor evil, depending on the shadow creature involved.

The island, called The Town (people had problems with the name, wouldn’t you believe), is a major location where shadowkind of congregated, as well as people of many different nations who had tried to claim it a decade before. The population is now over 2.5 million people, and rising.

Let loose the chaos, the Modern Town is here!

((Okay, some important side notes about the island where the town is located: The Town does not take up the entire island. Much of the island is also coniferous forest and plains. A single tall peak stands 10,763 feet tall. The climate is temperate.

Some organizations that are part of the world:

Department-7: A part of the government that deals with dangerous shadow-related issues in the Town. They are a secret organization.

Corsone Syndicate: Mix the Italian Mafia with a touch of shadow, and you get the Corsone Syndicate. Led by Louis Corsone, Mind Flayer.

The Displaced: The Displaced provides aid, intelligence, and a temporary home to shadowkind who have recently passed over to this world.

Draco Industries: The giant corporate hotshot, dealing with the invention of military technologies outside the Town’s government.

Eyes of the Beholder: An organization ran by some local Beholders who’s plots are as of yet unknown. Most members are just slaves.

The Heirs of Kyuss: Loose group of scientists, necromancersand other magic users who strive in bringing the dead into unlife.

Knights of the Silver Dragon: An ancient organization who deal with the elimination of evil shadow creatures, who answer to a Silver Dragon named Wynn. Wynn lives in the town as of late.

Markova Enterprises: The ultimate intelligence network. They know anything and everything, and will hand over information for the right price. Lead by Anastasia Markova, Drow.

Mindwreckers: A psionic terrorist group who consider slaughtering innocent people an art form.

Paranormal Science and Investigation Agency: An organization keen on bringing shadow out into the open. Considered a hinderence by most shadow organizations, even Department-7, the Displaced, and the Knights of the Silver Dragon.

Silent Walkers: Strictly Japanese anti-natural born psionic group.

So... I hope this helps in the creation of character’s backgrounds.

If you want to know the mechanics behind D20 Modern, look here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/MSRD:Modern_System_Reference_Document).))

Nevrmore
2007-04-09, 11:20 PM
((Oooh...I'd be more inclined to join this if not for the D20 Modern it's running on. Numbers and I don't get along.))

Lykan
2007-04-09, 11:21 PM
((no need for numbers. Numberes are just for the people who want numbers.))

Nevrmore
2007-04-09, 11:25 PM
((Can I have multiple characters?))

Lykan
2007-04-09, 11:28 PM
((... It's the Town.

Just because it's in this setting doesn't mean the rules are different, my friend. :biggrin:))

Deadly
2007-04-10, 10:54 AM
((Is this related to your Modern Trog's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17696), or is it completely unrelated?))

Exachix
2007-04-10, 10:57 AM
((Are Markova enterialy Drow or only some of them?

Matter not. Awnsered =)))

AmberVael
2007-04-10, 11:12 AM
((This is intended to be a remake of Modern Town, Deadly))

Deadly
2007-04-10, 11:15 AM
((Hmm... I missed that "revamp" part in the first post it seems. So the Modern Trog's is officially "dead" and replaced by this? Or am I missing more?))

Rebonack
2007-04-10, 02:41 PM
((I find it amusing that this setting is more or less identical to the setting of the first board I began to RP at several years ago. This leads me to wonder how I should be involved with it.))

The Geomancer
2007-04-10, 04:40 PM
((If we want to make a character for Modern Town do we still post it in the normal town charactery place?

Kyrian
2007-04-10, 05:15 PM
If you'd like Geomancer, sure.

Lykan
2007-04-10, 05:15 PM
((... Huh?))

Xerillum
2007-04-10, 07:51 PM
I the original Modern Town, I killed TOZ's OZ.

GuesssWho
2007-04-11, 02:31 AM
Can this be as super-powered as the Town?
And can we 'create' characters from books? My fav. fantasy stories are set in Modern Times, you see . . .

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-04-11, 12:55 PM
(I'd be happy to bring back "L" aka Modern llama)

Kyrian
2007-04-11, 01:36 PM
(I'd be happy to bring back "L" aka Modern llama)

I can't remember if it was Modern Ares or Modern Kyrian that befriended L.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-04-11, 01:39 PM
It was Ares. Don't think Modern kyrian ever showed up.

Kyrian
2007-04-11, 01:40 PM
I had him there once. Which would confirm it had to be Ares.

Lykan
2007-04-11, 07:12 PM
Wooh! L!

Can this be as super-powered as the Town?
And can we 'create' characters from books? My fav. fantasy stories are set in Modern Times, you see . . .

Jeeze people... It's the Town, just in modern times! Do whatever the hell you want! There's no special rules on what you can and can't do!

... Sorry. Questions like that... Just... Too many. Gah. >_<

Kyrian
2007-04-11, 07:13 PM
Can I have a character here and in the normal town? :P

Lykan
2007-04-11, 08:13 PM
*shoots Kyrian in the head*

You know the answer to that already.

Rebonack
2007-04-11, 08:20 PM
Can I carry a million billion dollar bills on my person?

Lykan
2007-04-11, 08:23 PM
You know, I thought this would be a good idea. Thanks for turning it into a friggin joke.

Nevrmore
2007-04-11, 08:24 PM
Aww, don't be that way, Lykan, they didn't know they were taking it too far.

I want to play, Descartes can be a member of the Mindwreckers.

Rebonack
2007-04-11, 08:25 PM
Apparently the Serious Business bug has been spreading.

I think it's an excellent idea, jokes aside.

Do you intend to restrict it to this thread or make multiple threads for it like the Hamlet project?

Lykan
2007-04-11, 08:29 PM
Multiple threads. You should probably put [modern] tags on it to distinguish, like with the old ones.

Sorry... Been wired up lately.

Carry on, joke people. :tongue:

McBish
2007-04-11, 10:43 PM
Can I carry a million billion dollar bills on my person?

I thought this was a referance to Snow Crash. *Shrug*

GuesssWho
2007-04-11, 11:10 PM
I think I'll be Randall Flagg, then. ;)
Got a character list yet?

Obsidian Blade
2007-04-12, 01:50 AM
I think I'll be Randall Flagg, then. ;)
Got a character list yet?

Ooh, Stephen King characters? I'm all for it :smallbiggrin:. Let's get Mordred the were-spider in here.
Actually, I think it's a good idea.

Vespe Ratavo
2007-04-12, 07:12 PM
Sweet. I'm in...lets see. Do I create an original character, or be the lazy good for nothing I am and make a modern Vespe? Or better yet (i.e. even more cliched) a descendant! Ooh! Interesting....*goes off to make character ideas*

GuesssWho
2007-04-12, 08:03 PM
Ooh, Stephen King characters? I'm all for it :smallbiggrin:. Let's get Mordred the were-spider in here.
Actually, I think it's a good idea.

If we can have multiple characters, I'll be him too.

Lykan
2007-04-12, 08:07 PM
Personally, I'm actually making modern versions of my characters.

I'd avoid decendants, though. This isn't the "future" of the town. It's actually happening at the exact same time. Just in a different world.

Some examples of my characters:

Lykan - Polish citizen, and a natural born werewolf. his family hass been a part of the Knights of the Silver Dragon for generations, his family had moved to the Town from their motherland along with the Silver Dragon himself. He's a profesional Demon hunter for Dep-7, and poses as a worker in a library under which their base of opperations is located.

Hiko - Though of Japanese ancestry, Hiko was born and raised in North Korea. After managing to survive 24 long years, he upped and attempted to leave the country illegally with his wife and two children, Rin and Nobu. His wife was shot and killed in their escape, but the rest survived, only Hiko with any serious injuries. After crossing into China, Hiko and his children traveled northeast, stowing away on a ship he thought was heading back to his homeland, but was really heading to The Town. During an exceptionally long trip, he actually came across his first shadow-related experience, namely an old chinese man performing minor tricks with bits of paper, causing them to turn into small animals, burst into flame without matches, and making them fly about the room much longer then they should be able. After speaking a long time with this man, he found he was actually a mage of some considerable power, and eventually convinced the wizard to teach him some of his craft. His training lasted until they reached the port of the Town, where the man had mysteriously dissipeared. Still in confusion about his experience with the man, he headed into the Town, using the powers he learned to land him a decent job as a comic book artist and giving his children an average middle-class life on the newly found island.

Oh, yeah... Just because I thought these out doesn't mean you need to. I just have some free time to think about this stuff.

Like school. :smalltongue:

Nevrmore
2007-04-12, 08:08 PM
I call Cthulhu as my character.

Lykan
2007-04-12, 08:38 PM
I call Cthulhu as my character.

Okay. But no destroying/enslaving the world, k? :P

Vespe Ratavo
2007-04-12, 08:57 PM
Is this the thread where we post our characters? Or in the Town Characters thread and put [Modern] by them?

Lykan
2007-04-12, 09:04 PM
Hrmm... I'm not sure. I guess you can just put them here for now.

GuesssWho
2007-04-12, 09:04 PM
Okay, I'm putting my characters up here. They will be Flagg and Mordred, so spoilers for TDT . . .

Name: Randall Flagg
RL Origin: The Stand
Race: Human (possibly)
Alignment: CN/CE
Class: Wizard 19/Archmage 19 ;) (In modern times, he would be Charismatic)
http://www.movievillains.com/images/flagg.jpghttp://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/f/f4/180px-FlaggMovieSheridan.jpg<--Note look of homicidal good cheer.
Background (simple): Think of him as the Devil's right-hand man. Not that he really is-he's not loyal enough, and he's so strong as to be a danger-even to the Crimson King.
Abilities: fast healing, teleportation, telepathy, clairvoyance, illusion-making, levitation, etc. . . .
Speaks in Gold.

Name: Mordred Deschain
RL Origin: The Dark Tower
Race: Half-fiend Lycanthrope
Alignment: CN/CE
Class: Psion (Telepath) 19 ;) (In modern times, he would be Smart)
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/3/3b/Mordred.png
Background (simple): In another universe he was the Antichrist. He is also unique in that he is the only known Were-spider in existence. Has no understanding of human society whatsoever.
Abilities: alternate shape, telepathy, preternatural intellect.
Speaks in Red.

Both are members of Department-7 and the Mindwreckers, due to their tendencies to play both sides against the middle.

Obsidian Blade
2007-04-13, 05:02 AM
GuesssWho, that's great!
...Don't you think Mordred would be totally CE, though? I mean, we're talking about the guy who makes people pluck out their own eyeballs and give them to him to eat.
Mordred's a-hungry...
I've got some good ideas for characters, I'll get them up sometime tomorrow...

Nevrmore
2007-04-13, 05:04 AM
GuesssWho, that's great!
...Don't you think Mordred would be totally CE, though? I mean, we're talking about the guy who makes people pluck out their own eyeballs and give them to him to eat.
Mordred's a-hungry...
I've got some good ideas for characters, I'll get them up sometime tomorrow...
I am intrigued. Tell me more about this eyeball eater.

Obsidian Blade
2007-04-13, 05:13 AM
I am intrigued. Tell me more about this eyeball eater.

He's got very powerful mental domination abilities that allow him to get almost anything he wants. He's a were-spider, and is much more dangerous in spider form. Actually, he's really creepy. He needs to eat a hell of a lot, so when Randall Flagg showed up, after extracting information from him he forced him to pluck out his eyeballs and tongue and feed them to him. After devouring the rest of his body, he set off to find Roland... that's about all I remember off the top of my head. No question that he's completely evil, though, he hates just about anything good that comes across his path. Oh yeah... He ate his mother, too.

Nevrmore
2007-04-13, 05:17 AM
My god....fantastic.

Obsidian Blade
2007-04-13, 05:26 AM
Oh man, are you going to base a character off that?

Nevrmore
2007-04-13, 05:28 AM
Tempting, but no. If I'm going to base a character off of an already existing character, I'd like to know as much as I can of the charrie beforehand, and I don't feel like reading through the Dark Tower series.

I'm just saying fantastic because the thought of getting someone to feed their eyeballs to you is just great.

The Geomancer
2007-04-13, 11:13 AM
Nevrmore never ceases to amaze me/freak me the hell out.

GuesssWho
2007-04-13, 05:38 PM
Anyway, I'm doing Mordred.
But I'm basing it on the next time 'round, if you will: a version where Flagg and Mordred decided that they didn't want to follow the Crimson King into madness and secretly helped the ka-tet . . .

Vespe Ratavo
2007-04-13, 06:10 PM
Vespe Ratavo [Modern]
Race: Elf
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Class: Charismatic Hero/Mage
Background: Vespe is an Elf from Italy, where he had spent most of his life. At about 105, though, he felt an overwhelming desire to move. He decided to move to The Town because A floating island? Coooool. He is currently pursuing a music career, blending rock and European folk music. Loves video games. :smallbiggrin:

Nevrmore
2007-04-13, 06:18 PM
Name: Descartes
Species: Larval Illithid
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Class: Psionicist
Description: Think of Descartes classic, only this apple-sized brain-eating cuddlebunny floats in a special head-jar thing. Like that nazi scientist dude from Hellboy. Two of his tentacles man the controls for movement while the other two control the neumatic arms afixed to the bottom of the floating jar thingy.
Backstory: Same as the old Descartes', only he got a kickass head jar thing somewhere down the line.

NecroPaladin
2007-04-13, 06:53 PM
Clergyman State [Modern]
Race: Undead human
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Class: Dedicated/Strong/Acolyte
Background: Thompson Law, or "Father State," is an up-and-coming preacher, popular in the American Midwest. He has a strong political agenda, less liberal or conservative than attempting to fuse politics and preaching. He is tied much to the Heirs of Kyuss, and protects their actions through his views (which, of course, he passes to others). He speaks with a slight Missouri flair, and passes off his affliction as a skin disease. Came to the town to build a new chapel.

Nevrmore
2007-04-13, 07:15 PM
Here's some mo'

Name: Plot
Species: Physical Manifestation
Alignment: True Neutral
Class: You know, that guy who does stuff.
Description: Looks the same as the old Plot, with the grey skin and static aura and the lack of a face or hair, but instead of casual clothes he is clad in a Gears-of-War, or maybe Halo MJOLNIR armor esque suit, jsut as grey as him with some smidges of black thrown in to break up the monotony. He is fond of shooting things with his gun.
Backstory: Same as the old Plot, except somewhere down the line he got kickass body armor.

A NEW CHALLENGER HAS APPEARED!
Name: Adamska "Adam the White" Orlov
Species: Human
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Class: Marksman
Description: His skin is pale and his hair is white. If he took of his sunglasses, his eyes would be pink. He's an albino, but thinks nothing of it. He wears a white suit and carries a Desert Eagle by his side. He deals with the affairs of the Shadows.
Backstory: Nobody knows the trouble I've seen...Nobody knows my sorroooowww.

Lykan
2007-04-13, 10:14 PM
Oky, guys... We need some goodguys too, remember. :wink:

I don't want Lykan to turn into some bastardization of Blade and Batman. :P

Edit: ... Oh wait... Maybe I do.

Chaotic Bob
2007-04-13, 10:22 PM
Name: Xeni [modern]
Species: Greater Doppleganger
Alignment: NG
Class: Truenamer/Chronomancer
Description: Essentially the same ol' guy from Town, though the chronomancer thing is a different part. Kindly most of the time, but when irritated, he gets...testy. He is still as fond of his bow as ever, dabbling in various enchantments for arrows in his spare time.

There's your good guy.

Nevrmore
2007-04-13, 10:31 PM
Okay okay, a good guy for you today.

Name: Antonio "Snoochie Hooch/Hooch" Biggum
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Class: Pimp/Mole
Description: A tall, lean black man. He has a large afro with a compartively small purple tophot placed precarious at an angle on top of it. He wears a purple, pinstriped suit and carries a gold cane, along with an excess of gold and jewels around his neck and fingers. Has been known to wear a faux-animal skin shoulder-garment that drapes over his shoulders like a small cape.
Backstory: A true throwback to the 1970s blaxploitation films, Hooch is known in the underworld as one of the most prolific pimps of his generation, but to the police and Department-7, he is their most valuable mole. An expert at deceit and smooth talking, he has helped put away criminals and powerful shadowkind alike.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-04-13, 10:32 PM
"L" is a good guy. He's no longer a government controlled killing machine. He's not really a killing machine anymore.

Kyrian
2007-04-13, 10:34 PM
He's a carving machine now.

Reptilus
2007-04-13, 11:27 PM
I'm throwing in a couple mortal humans with absolutely no superpowers whatsoever, because I am crazy, and also a fool. Specifically, one might go so far as to call me a "crazy fool."

Name: Akinkawon Adedewe Kosoko
Species: Human, Jamaican of Chinese and African descent.
Sex: Male
Class: Capoeira Mestre/Dub Poet
Description: A thin but muscled man of even-toned, smooth, dark skin. His face has thin features and naturally high cheekbones below unremarkable eyes that still have a strange ability to hold one's gaze. A thin, but long, beard clings to his face and long, thin dreadlocks fall freely about his head. He wears bright colours as often as he can, usually red, green, and yellow, though he has been known to be partial to bright blue, as well. He wears comfortable clothes he can move freely in and avoids anythign too expensive.
Backstory: Born in the slums of Kingston Jamaica, Akinkawan was drawn to the life of street crime and drug abuse spread to keep the poor poor and wealthy wealthy. Rasta mystics managed to make an impression upon him, and he left that life to study with the mystic, who taught him of Capoeira. Akinkawon began to make a positive change in the area he inhabited, creating a fund to educated and employ dropouts, reduce crime without corrupt police intervention, and educate children where the education system failed. He discovered his talent for poetry when he began to speak with a distinct rhythm and cadence to a crowd at a demonstration. His dub poetry career skyrocketed and gained him heavy popularity and acclaim within the reggae culture. He poured his earnings into the fund and other causes, only to find the money still wasn't enough, especially with the white-collar thefts of political groups and organized crime; he began to take matters into his own hands. Using his immesnse physical combat skills, he began robbing the money carriers associated with Mafia and government groups and stealing the money that they had stolen from him (penny for penny, dollar for dollar, as exactly as he could). He refused to kill or permenantly injure any of the people he robbed, leaving a trail of witnesses. Fleeing both governmental and criminal persecution, he left all his possessions but a guitar, the clothes on his back, and a few books to his fund, nominally unconnected to him and thus protected from direct retirubtion, and headed to the town to avoid their persection in the skybound metropolis.

Name: Annarchy Pink
Sex: Lady
Alignment: **** your labels, *******.
Class: See above.
Description: Annarchy's thin frame isn't the result of annorexia or bulemia, but a naturally high metabolism and a sulphate addiction she says she's kicked, but who knows how long that'll last. She dresses in a very "tomboy" style, avoiding really "girlish" clothes. Her extremely thin weight causes her to be rather flat-chested, and her midlength hair cut causes her to be mistaken sometimes for a very good-looking and effiminate boy. Her hair is dyed neon pink at the moment, one of the colours she most frequently wears (neon blue and green being the others, though bright orange isn't unheard of).
Background: Legally emancipated at 16 for her parents' neglect, Annarchy legally changed her name a year later. Her keen intellect allowed her to display her competance warranting both unusual rights for someone her age. It is also the reason for her good grades in school despite a poor (to say the least) attendance record and "poor work ethic" (which is actually just her not believing she should do an assignment because she's told if it's just "that busywork bull**** you don't learn one ****ing thing from"), to the point she's graduating early to be done with school. If she goes on to college, she's looking into Law School so she can argue against laws she doesn't believe in from a professional "respectable" podium and defend the weak from stronger powers who pick on them by twisting the laws they use to hold people down. Essentially, she's going to be the archetypal sleazy lawyer who gets people out on technicalities, countersues, and convinces the jury that the technicality is absolutely false so her opponents can no not use it to get out, themselves. However, she is taking a stand against such abusive powers and fighting them on even ground, using a "By hook or by crook" method of reaching legal justice. Or such is her plan anyway. For now, she's a kid with no parents and a low-income job making a little extra money from essay publications and living on minimum wage in a big city, trying to get over a speed addiction and convince some boy or girl she doesn't really remember all that well to get over her.

Nevrmore
2007-04-13, 11:28 PM
No MGS characters, Reptilus? I'm shocked! SHOCKED!

Destro_Yersul
2007-04-13, 11:35 PM
((I am soooo tempted to make a James Bond character right now))

Vespe Ratavo
2007-04-13, 11:38 PM
((I am soooo tempted to make a James Bond character right now))

Give into your cliche young Destro. Strike down originality, and take your place at my side...

Destro_Yersul
2007-04-14, 12:19 AM
((*fails will save* Bwahaha! *stabs originality 3875 times*))

Name: Bond. James Bond.
Class: Secret Agent
Description: Suave and Debonair, Bond wears a black tux constantly. His hair is always perfect, no matter who he's been busy killing recently, and the tux is wrinkle-proof.
Weapons: British charm, Walther PPK, anything not nailed down.
Backstory: Bond is a British secret agent, a member of Department-7. His own codename is 007, and he has a license to kill. He attended Eton college when he was younger, and has always been a very fast runner. He is known for getting the girl, completing the mission, and causing very large explosions wherever he goes. He is, of course, never harmed by said explosions. He always carries a variety of gadgets with him, manufactered by Q-branch.
Other: Bond is able to produce high tech gadgetry he has previously acquired whenever it is needed, whether he has anywhere to put it or not. He drives an Aston Martin Vanquish, which has a number of non-standard special features built in.

((Need anything, or is it good like this?:smallwink:))

GuesssWho
2007-04-14, 01:59 AM
Most non-D&D characters are outside alignments, have you noticed? Mine are True Chaotic and /\'s is Annoying Good.

Reptilus
2007-04-14, 12:34 PM
No MGS characters, Reptilus? I'm shocked! SHOCKED!
I'm introducing the rest of FoxHound coming after Ocelot for his "loyalty-challenged" past. So I will, oh how I will.
Even if I didn't do that, Psycho Mantis still has to come in the mindwreckers. Killing humans for art is pretty much his thing. That and hating sex.

Vespe Ratavo
2007-04-14, 01:25 PM
Leonardo Acheman
Class: Smart Hero
Alignment: Neutral
Description: Leonardo is a starving artist born in The Town. Despite never being able to make any money off of his books or stories, he does have one special power. He has an over sized pencil which he can use at will to draw or create anything. So far, he's generally only used it in emergencies, as it tends to draw a lot of attention (no pun intended) from malicious types...

Jennifer Garione
Class: Charismatic Hero
Description: A relaxed and laid back woman who just happened to come to The Town somehow. She enjoys roleplaying games, and wants to establish some sort of bar or restaurant or something.

McBish
2007-04-14, 04:01 PM
Well might as well get this thing started. Making a thread now.

The Geomancer
2007-04-14, 04:19 PM
Here's some completely original 100% made-up goodness for you guys:

Name-Josh Brightham
Alignment-CG
Abilities-He can use his spirit to inhabit any object that isn't a PC. Once inhabiting the object he can make small changes to it, and grant it minor powers for his use. He rarely inhabits sentient beings.
Back story-Josh Brightham was chosen by the US government from a long line of eligible orphans. He was taken by the government to a secret testings facility where they destroyed his body and gave his mind the ability to inhabit any host it finds. . Josh ran spy missions for the US government, but rebelled when they wanted him to take over the body of a dictator and have him kill a bus full of schoolchildren with it. He has gone to the town, with an huge hatred of all authority figures, especially government ones.

Lykan
2007-04-14, 04:52 PM
Hrmmm... Wynn's Mansion, or Dep-7 Headquarters/Downtown Library?

Deadly
2007-04-14, 04:53 PM
((Ahh! My first modern/futuristic character ever! Say hello to Timothy! :smallbiggrin:))

Name: Sir Timothy Valez
Alignment: Lawful Evil, but is himself totally convinced that he's good, or rather above good and saint-like. In his own mind, Timothy is the ultimate mortal paragon of purity and goodness.
Classes: Charismatic Hero / Field Officer / Telepath
Height: 6 feet (182 cm)

Description: Timothy's face is always hidden behind a metallic mask, only his brown eyes and dark hair visible. He wears a black shirt without sleeves and a pair of dark gray pants. He wears a pair of hi-tech bracers/gloves, and carries a strange metal "backpack". Timothy is of normal height, but with a muscular build.

Equipment: Timothy is a technophile, so he naturally carries all sorts of hi-tech, futuristic gadgets. Some of them he made himself. They are not all as safe and stable as one might wish. Most noticeable is his mask, bracers/gloves and the "backpack", all of which are powerful technological devices with numerous functions.

Background: Timothy served as lieutenant in the spanish army until his entire unit was slaughtered in a fight. Timothy himself was mortally wounded and left dying on the battlefield, thought dead by the enemy. By a miracle he was found by another unit and survived just barely, but he never became the same again.

Marked by the trauma of seeing all his friends and comrades being slaughtered, he himself the only survivor, Timothy now sees it as his personal mission to hunt down and eliminate all evil, however small or wrongly perceived. However, Timothy doesn't kill his targets if he can avoid it at all. Instead he captures his target and, through powerful psionics, turns the target into a mental clone of himself. Behaving like Timothy himself, the clones will in turn go out and do exactly the same, like a virus slowly spreading.

Kyrian
2007-04-14, 05:44 PM
Hmm...I think that Silas, Victor, Rafael, and Leonel are already a good pick for Modern Town..

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-04-14, 05:52 PM
Simply designated as "L"

L was kidnapped by an organization and transformed into a pseudo-stealthy killing machine. *He was trained specifically to obey a man he called "Mr. Wa-shing-ton." He was trained by a woman called "Doct-or Rose-ann." *Probes into his mind showed a great fear of Mr Wa-shing-ton but a love and loyalty to Doct-or Rose-Ann.
After a year of intensive cybernetic surgery he looked like an ordinary llama except for around his eyes where he had a visible slit between his eyes for an extendable knife blade to slide out of as well as some circuitry to allow him to activate it by thinking. *They solved this problem by wrapping a mask around his eyes, hiding it. *A few more commands later and he is now very very ashamed of that exposed circuitry and wants to keep it hidden at all times. *This ensured that he wouldn't remove the mask and let anyone see his "enhancements'"
They would send him into public locations after showing him who his target was. *He would mill around until he spotted them. The next step was to get in close, preferably by nuzzling them, activate his blade to pop out and slash the startled victim's throat with it. *If they ran, his forelegs have been modified to shoot bullets. *Each leg holds 3 rounds, but they are powerful rounds. *The shots hurt him so he doesn't like to use them, but he will if neccessary. __________________

Obsidian Blade
2007-04-14, 06:19 PM
Okay, random character is ready...

[Name] Adia Wren
[Species] Half-Elf
[Age] 26
[Class] Fast Hero
[Alignment] TN. Adia is slow to judge, not really caring about the arguments of good or evil. The only thing she despises is someone who oppresses others.
[Special Abilities] Adia can at will manifest a magnetic force that allows her to attract or slightly repel metal objects.

[Description]
Adia can't be described as good-looking. Most her features are decidedly unremarkable, from her mid-length brown hair and snub nose to her dark and uninteresting clothes. The only thing interesting about her are her eyes, which are a deep grey and seem to hold and capture the light around her face.

[History] Adia was born into a fairly middle-class, traditional family. All her child life she was told she could never go anywhere, never do anything other then stay in her family's business, leave school early and lead the exact same life her parents did. When she was fifteen she gave up on them in disgust and left home, entering a special training and education program that allowed her talents to bloom. After having her eyes opened to the complexity of the universe and shedding the last of her family's simple and rigid beliefs, Adia swore never to let anyone hold her down. She wandered the worlds, working sparodically for different corporations, until she found Town. Adia is good at gathering intelligence, and is currently under observation by Markova Enterprises, who are interested in hiring her.

Raistlin1040
2007-04-15, 12:01 AM
I can hack it!

Name: Varin Wryte
Race: Elf
Alignment: TN
Class: Smart Hero/Shadowjack
Background: Varin is a very bright elf. Despite his brains, he always manages to get himself into major trouble. He is a technological genius and can hack his way into almost any system. He's wanted by the government for study and he's also wanted by them because he's crashed satellites for fun. He tries to keep a low profile but it's not easy for him.

GuesssWho
2007-04-15, 01:45 AM
And yet he's true neutral, not chaotic evil? :P

Lykan
2007-04-15, 01:49 AM
At least Chaotic. :P

Raistlin1040
2007-04-15, 01:57 AM
He's not insane and doesn't like people dying. He's either out on a job for a friend ((TN)), working on a quick revenge plot on Draco Industries ((TN, arguably good)) or just really bored (CN) So if you average it, it comes out to about TN.

Lykan
2007-04-15, 02:05 AM
He's not insane and doesn't like people dying. He's either out on a job for a friend ((TN)), working on a quick revenge plot on Draco Industries ((TN, arguably good)) or just really bored (CN) So if you average it, it comes out to about TN.

Just because it makes it Draco industries doesn't make it a good act. That's chaotic, my friend.

Nevrmore
2007-04-15, 02:08 AM
Just because it makes it Draco industries doesn't make it a good act. That's chaotic, my friend.
I'm still waiting for that Dept. 7 thread :*(

Lykan
2007-04-15, 02:09 AM
I'm working on it as we speak. I'm almost done.

Nevrmore
2007-04-15, 02:10 AM
Ole!

Strategically hidden white text

Lykan
2007-04-15, 02:59 AM
There you go.

I'm going to bed.

GuesssWho
2007-04-15, 03:47 PM
His skin is pale and his hair is white. If he took of his sunglasses, his eyes would be pink. He's an albino, but thinks nothing of it. He wears a white suit and carries a Desert Eagle by his side.

Sounds like the guys from The Matrix: Reloaded.

Nevrmore
2007-04-15, 04:56 PM
Sounds like the guys from The Matrix: Reloaded.
Yeah, only he's not creepy and a stupid character.

McBish
2007-04-15, 04:59 PM
We need more places, make posts people.

Lykan
2007-04-15, 05:01 PM
Hrmmm... Okay.

Residential or Downtown?

Or Chinatown? :D

McBish
2007-04-15, 05:02 PM
How about Downtown. I was thinking of making a mall thread.

Nevrmore
2007-04-15, 05:50 PM
Here's a new [MT] thread for you: Hooch's Underlayer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41051)

GuesssWho
2007-04-15, 06:28 PM
I'm there.

Flabbicus
2007-04-15, 09:18 PM
I might put Flabbicus in as a member of the Corsone Syndicate. I'm a sucker for illithids. Not to mention the mafia.

Ras Sha'Akhamen
2007-04-15, 09:39 PM
Scud
Species: Scudco Disposable Assassin Series 1373 "Heartbreaker"
Birthdate: May 16th
Class: Robotic Assassin
Description: Normal (http://cartercomics.com/Blog%20pix/Scud1.JPG) or, later on with werewolf arm (http://www.scud.com/ScudImage/Books/PFDbig.GIF).
Background: The same as most self-aware Scuds, he found out he would die if he killed his target. Some way or another, he managed to keep the target alive and keep out of it's path of revenge. Now, he's not living as an independant private operative in the Modern Town.

GuesssWho
2007-04-15, 09:50 PM
Cool. Is that from somewhere?

Lykan
2007-04-15, 10:01 PM
Okay people, I wouldn't normally complain bout the antics that go on in the town, but this really crosses the friggin line.

QUIT IT WITH THE COPYRIGHTED CRAP.

I'm serious, you're given free reign, any idea you can possibly think of, yet people choose to pull stuff from already existing material! It's a friggin vexation! It might have been funny at first to some of you, but it's getting out of hand. Please, PLEASE stop using pre-existing material...

Raistlin1040
2007-04-15, 10:01 PM
Destro!!!!

Destro_Yersul
2007-04-15, 10:03 PM
Awww.... Well, I could always have him go off on a mission and never come back.

Lykan
2007-04-15, 10:04 PM
Destro!!!!

It's not just Destro.

Kyrian
2007-04-15, 10:05 PM
well, jeez, I only wanted to use Bit because I am using him in a fanfic of mine now...

Raistlin1040
2007-04-15, 10:06 PM
Oh. Bond was the only character I knew.

GuesssWho
2007-04-15, 10:11 PM
I'm keeping mine, and I think the others are a done deal as well.
However, you do have a point. ;) So no more, unless you've been waiting to use a character for at least 3.5 years.
Okay?

Flabbicus
2007-04-15, 10:11 PM
Name: Flabbicus
Species: Illithid
Age: 16 in Illithid years, which is probably just like dog years but more weird
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Class: Rogue/Telepath
Description: A light blue illithid in a trench coat-like robe. He carries around two katars. Here is a good illustration. (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/47075723/?qo=17&q=by%3Anny2&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps) (Thanks to Krimm_Blackleaf for drawing him)

Ruffles looks similar to the hyena-man from The Return of the Joker
Backstory: David Conners grew up with a rather uneventful childhood. He played sports, did fine in school, and had a small but personal group of friends. He graduated with mostly A's and B's in moderately difficult classes, and attended the top-state university. After getting his MBA in Political Science he went job hunting. He found a perfectly fine job that didn't make much use of his education but he didn't really care, as long as he could meet ends meet and pay off his bills he was fine.

One day when he was walking through the streets something weird happened. He had heard reports of the new floating island but didn't pay any attention to it. He felt something fall onto his shoulder but he didn't pay any attention to it. When it started crawling up his neck he glanced over at what he perceived as a sparrow, and figured it would go away. Within a minute the "sparrow" had burrowed into his brain and started feasting upon his delicious cerebral matter. After the passerbies spotted him convulsing on the ground they called the hospital. Unfortunately they arrived "too late" and pronounced him dead on arrival.

En route to the morgue the corpse woke up, none too happy about being stuck in the back of an ambulance with no food, water, or light. Flabbicus escaped with a full stomach and, after many years of terrorizing the populace of the city of New New York as "The Ice Cream Scooper Serial Killer", met up with the Corsone Syndicate. This resulted in a beautiful relationship that led to many fruitful results. Such as him ending up in The Town and getting his own personal guard gnoll. He calls him Ruffles.

Speach:

Bleh, these brains are way past their prime!
"Heheheh."

Ras Sha'Akhamen
2007-04-15, 10:13 PM
I would like to point out that it is ironic you yell at people for copyrighted material, while mentioning Illithid, copyrighted by WotC, in your opening post to this thread. Pot to Kettle: "You are black."

GuesssWho
2007-04-15, 10:16 PM
Yeah, true.
Of course it's his illithid, but . . .

Ras Sha'Akhamen
2007-04-15, 10:20 PM
I wasn't referring to Flabbicus, I was referring to Lykan, who mentioned them as the main members of the mafia in his introduction to this thread. He's using a species from a copyrighted material, as am I.
Speaking of which, to answer your question, Scud is a comic book about one disposable assassin who realizes, as mine did, that if he kills his target, he dies. Then he has zany adventures fighting for survival and good and justice and all that fun stuff. Plus, he makes friends with a guy who is made of zippers.

GuesssWho
2007-04-15, 10:22 PM
O . . . kay.
Zippers? Really?

Lykan
2007-04-15, 10:26 PM
I wasn't referring to Flabbicus, I was referring to Lykan, who mentioned them as the main members of the mafia in his introduction to this thread. He's using a species from a copyrighted material, as am I.
Speaking of which, to answer your question, Scud is a comic book about one disposable assassin who realizes, as mine did, that if he kills his target, he dies. Then he has zany adventures fighting for survival and good and justice and all that fun stuff. Plus, he makes friends with a guy who is made of zippers.

Fine. If you're going to be like that, you guys can organize your own ****ing town. I'm not going to do things for people who aim to undermine me like that.

Ras Sha'Akhamen
2007-04-15, 10:28 PM
I fail to see why pointing out that you and I are doing the exact same thing, but you're only yelling at me for it, is that offensive. If it would really please you so much, I can write Scud out of the modern town after his mall adventure. I don't want to cause any problems, I just saw what you said as hypocritical.

GuesssWho
2007-04-15, 10:31 PM
Stop it, both of you. Flame wars are stupid and counterproductive.
Anyway, it's not as if there's a law against a few outside characters . . .

McBish
2007-04-15, 10:31 PM
Being a specific character is slightly different from using a species created for a roleplaying game. Also Lykan, one person made a comment. I personally am happy to see your Town come alive, I like the modern setting and look foward to playing in it. Lets all play nice now and kill some demons in a mall.

GuesssWho
2007-04-15, 10:34 PM
/\Point. Lets kill the mall monsters!

Ras Sha'Akhamen
2007-04-15, 10:34 PM
I'm a member of a species, too, not a specific character, which was my point. Like I said, I don't want to cause trouble. If you really want, I can write him out. I just said what I thought without really thinking you would find it that offensive. My apologies for the fact that you did.

Flabbicus
2007-04-16, 01:40 PM
Lykan, do you want to make the Organization HQ's or should I? Because I'm not sure what the Corsone Syndicate Headquarters would look like.

Hitchhiker
2007-04-16, 01:57 PM
I just wrapped up the Town Police Department.

Lykan
2007-04-16, 02:01 PM
Go ahead. It's just like a mafia headquarters, with mindflayers and minotaurs and junk.

Flabbicus
2007-04-16, 02:02 PM
Excellent. Familiar territory then.

GuesssWho
2007-04-16, 02:57 PM
I did the Mindwreckers, just so you know . . .

Flabbicus
2007-04-16, 03:49 PM
I did the Mindwreckers, just so you know . . .

Mm Mindwreckers, tastes like sociopath.

And here's The Corsone Pizzeria (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2412959#post2412959), because every criminal organization needs a front to hide behind. Corsone just takes it a little too seriously...

Lykan
2007-04-16, 04:10 PM
Where's the Corsone Petshop? :P

Flabbicus
2007-04-16, 04:16 PM
Pets? You mean that wasn't bread, food, and guns? Someone needs to clean out the over now.

Lykan
2007-04-16, 04:38 PM
Oh... I was just refrecing the idea that a petshop would be a mafia armory...

Hello. I'd like to buy a "bunny."

What kind of "bunny?" A semiautomatic "bunny" or an autofire "bunny?"

I'd prefer a "bunny" that would best serve to splatter a man's brains all over the pavement.

Flabbicus
2007-04-16, 05:05 PM
Too bad I never saw that episode of Family Guy. Heard it was good though.

Yeah, I wanted to make it at least semi-original. Or, at least as original as a stereotypical pizzeria that is a front for the mafia can be. With a guy named Tony.

GuesssWho
2007-04-16, 05:06 PM
Oh... I was just refrecing the idea that a petshop would be a mafia armory...

Hello. I'd like to buy a "bunny."

What kind of "bunny?" A semiautomatic "bunny" or an autofire "bunny?"

I'd prefer a "bunny" that would best serve to splatter a man's brains all over the pavement.

What about the Monty Python Killer Rabbit? :P

Ras Sha'Akhamen
2007-04-16, 05:13 PM
Shh! This never happened.

McBish
2007-04-16, 05:19 PM
You confuse me Ras. Was that suppose to be in the Mall?

Ras Sha'Akhamen
2007-04-16, 05:54 PM
Velasco Andalucía
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Class: Casino-Owner
Description: A broad, angular man, the thinness of the broad-shouldered underworld figure is often suprising. His skin is a creamy, dark shade and his hair dark, wavy, and walys neatly organized. He dresses in incredibly nice suits of black and red.

Backstory: Velasco owns a large casino in-town and does his best to keep everyone at odds and play both ends against the middle so they don't play against him; he's on rocky ground with both the mob (since he doesn't pay dues to an criminal organiztaion) and the law (since they have a feeling slightly less legal things than a little licensed gambling and liquor sale is going on in his joint), but survives by putting their attention on other instead of himself. Plus, with the web of information he gets out of his casino, he's simply too valuable and too much trouble to do away this. The best defense is making yourself too hard for someone to replace. He's personally very closed up.

Shujaa
Species: Gnoll
Class: Rogue/hunter
Description: A gnoll who's origins are from a striped, rather than spotted Hyena. His eyes are a crystal blue and his teeth unusually clean.

Backstory: A political agitator, Shujaa came from poverty in the gnoll slums and perceiving racism against his people for guidlines that might have applied to them millenia ago in fantasy ages that simply no longer applied. Gnolls had tow ways out that he saw; crime and death. Most gnolls were pressed into gangs or the mafia when they were just kids. Shujaa was different, his larger build (and more powerful jaws) made sure he was left mostly alone, which is how he liked it. All those around him gained money while he remained in poverty. Crime, he realized, was the only way out alive. The problem was the definition of crime. Revolution would be considered a crime, but it was a way out for the oppressed Gnolls without joining the bloodmoney pacts of the gangs and mafia. He speaks politically for the GLA and GIC, groups that are beginning to gain support from "monsterous" races everywhere who feel oppression.

You confuse me Ras. Was that suppose to be in the Mall?

Uhm, no, it was, um, er, a coded message, to, um. . . yeah.
Okay, maybe it was supposed to be in the mall

SoulSpear
2007-04-17, 09:11 PM
Tank Mcgee
Class: Gunner/Gladiator
Race: Human
Description: A 6'3'' man, whose basically nifty. He has green hair and green eyes, a teal jacket, a nice satin green shirt. Some green pants and green shoes. He could be compared to a spartan, with pants. His left arm dawns a circular riot shield. 3 inches of the newest and strongest material, able to protect him from swords, and almost all calibers of bullets. It can take 3 magnum shots to the same place, and all that will happen is that it will crack really. Anymore than five shotgun blasts will tear though it. Though his arm will most likally become useless after three or four. He kepts a Desert Eagle in a hanging holster on his right side, as well as a short sword, wakazashi-ish, inside his jacket also. His personality runs from cheery to stern, really depending on the controllers mood. He wears sunglasses, made from the eyes of a shadow person. Thus he can see everything as it should be. He doesn't really care. Infact he is looking for a new job with the Mafia or somthing not with the law.
Bio: An Irishman, born into a japanese mafia, who raised him to be an elite soldiure. His green hair is pinned up at one point on the top of his head, but it looks very japanese warrior, sept on the head of a caucasian. WHOA! He does stuff he likes to. Yeah this is half assed.

GuesssWho
2007-04-24, 02:50 AM
Whatever Happened To This Stuff?

GuesssWho
2007-04-28, 02:14 PM
{Bumping this}