PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Esper Class

Leuku
2015-03-11, 10:00 PM
The Esper (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HyEG6Rv3WUky-5pYRRF3rvl2LfWjv4p9meaj9ec5aaI/edit?usp=sharing)

Halloa. The above is the Esper, a psychically gifted class. It's primary ability is to use telekinetic power to move objects at high speeds.

This class is mostly unlike psionics, which tends to focus on more immaterial expressions of power.

I hope you enjoy.

bloodshed343
2015-03-12, 09:57 PM
From what I understood, the virtuoso subclass gets extra attack, essentially, at level 3 since it has two mage hands at that point. Also, it gets more melee attacks than a fighter or monk. Is this intentional or am I reading it wrong?

Leuku
2015-03-12, 10:09 PM
From what I understood, the virtuoso subclass gets extra attack, essentially, at level 3 since it has two mage hands at that point. Also, it gets more melee attacks than a fighter or monk. Is this intentional or am I reading it wrong?

You are correct. The limiting factor is the fact that the Virtuoso never adds mod damage to his psychic melee attacks. I gave the Virtuoso the bonus action attack precisely because 2 and then 3 mage hands without mod bonuses falls far too under par. The Virtuoso can strike many times without effort, and their damage will be better than the average unarmed strike, but they won't be hitting that hard compared to the Monk.

Thematically it may also make sense, as psychic power allows an individual to move much faster than humanly possible, just as how Ki augments a monk.

bloodshed343
2015-03-12, 11:05 PM
You are correct. The limiting factor is the fact that the Virtuoso never adds mod damage to his psychic melee attacks. I gave the Virtuoso the bonus action attack precisely because 2 and then 3 mage hands without mod bonuses falls far too under par. The Virtuoso can strike many times without effort, and their damage will be better than the average unarmed strike, but they won't be hitting that hard compared to the Monk.

Thematically it may also make sense, as psychic power allows an individual to move much faster than humanly possible, just as how Ki augments a monk.

Ah, I thought the attacks added the charisma modifier.

Leuku
2015-03-13, 03:48 AM
Ah, I thought the attacks added the charisma modifier.

Indubitably only the Exorcist gets to add Charisma mod to psychic attack damage, and only starting at 10th level.

bloodshed343
2015-03-13, 10:47 AM
Well, it looks like a fun class then.

bloodshed343
2015-03-13, 07:24 PM
I was going to suggest, for the psychic warrior, that you give it mage-hand martial arts, but this was too similar to Virtuoso's mage hand attacks.

However, you could make it a tanky class by letting it use its mage hands as a shield to deflect missiles or such like the Monk feature.

Or make it super good at grappling. Or both.

Edit: Give it an extra reaction for each of its mage hands, which can't be used to make attacks. Then give it a bunch of reaction abilities, like a reaction grapple, a reaction parry, a reaction to throw Arrows back at the attacker.