PDA

View Full Version : skills used for combat abilities?

dev6500
2015-03-11, 11:06 PM
So I was looking at grapple and shove and they both use athletics/acrobatics for opposed skill checks.

Are there any other combat related abilities that are based off of skills?

SharkForce
2015-03-11, 11:54 PM
stealth/perception of course.

investigation checks for illusions.

intimidate for... well, whatever your DM will let you pull off, because there's basically no rules for it.

Eloel
2015-03-11, 11:55 PM
So I was looking at grapple and shove and they both use athletics/acrobatics for opposed skill checks.

Are there any other combat related abilities that are based off of skills?

Animal Handling to ride stuff.
Stealth to hide (and sneak attack?), Perception to combat that.

Gwendol
2015-03-12, 02:56 AM
In the DMG there are some more combat options. Climb onto a bigger creature (athletics/acrobatics vs acrobatics, attack w advantage), Disarm (attack roll vs str/dex (or the related skill)), Overrun (opposed STR (athletics) checks), Shove aside (like a shove, but 5' in any direction), Tumble (opposed DEX (acrobatics) checks). Overrun and Tumble have no other rider effects than being able to move through hostile space, but personally I would rule that tumble negates opportunity attacks from that opponent, and that overrunning a creature leaves it prone. If you don't, the maneuver leaves the player wide open for an opportunity attack should they leave the threatened space during their move.