PDA

View Full Version : Broadchurch Season 2

Pex
2015-03-12, 12:09 AM
Broadchurch returns to BBC America. I missed last week's opening but got caught up. There are two plots. Danny's killer pleads not guilty, forcing a trial much to everyone's distress. Naturally his confession gets tossed out so that it's no longer a slam dunk case to drag out the drama. The other plot involves the killer who got away in Tennant's character's previous child murder case that happened pre-show. The killer comes to Broachurch claiming to get his life back, starting with allegedly kidnapping, for now, his wife who was hiding out played by Eve Myles, Gwen from Torchwood.

When Gracepoint aired I had to get use to the different actors playing the same characters. Now with Broadchurch I have reacquaint myself with the original actors and forget about Gracepoint.

My issue with the first season was that only the first and last episode mattered to solve the mystery. Everything that happened in between was drama for drama's sake and full of red herrings. The first and last episode could have been shown together as one long movie or miniseries with maybe a sprinkle of in between episode scenes, and you wouldn't have missed anything. The second season doesn't have a true mystery so perhaps every episode will important. Naturally the jury's verdict will be in the finale with the season being the journey to get there. The defense got a good head start by having the confession tossed. I expect more drama to have the audience worry the killer will be acquitted, the prosecution getting the occasional favorable showing of hope, and an incidence that would suggest someone else is the real killer. On the bright side I cannot predict what the jury's verdict will be, so there is something to look forward to. It's possible they'll use Gracepoint's twist in the finale of the killer's son being involved.

Another thing I'm concerned about is just becoming bored of the whole thing and stop watching altogether. Not helping any was the overall depressing tone of this week's episode. If boredom doesn't drive me away more that could do it just as well. I'd still try to tune in the finale just to hear the verdict, but I wouldn't bother with the journey to get there.

I'm also trying to get a 5E gaming group started that could potentially meet on Wednesday nights making all of this moot, but that's another matter.