PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed need one martial weapon proficiency

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-12, 01:22 AM
So I am looking to enter Abjurant Champion, and I need the ability to use one martial weapon.

Race is out of the question, but templates are not (if there is one)
I would prefer not to take a feat, but if the feat gives a useful bonus on top of any one weapon proff, id like to know of them as well.
lastly, if there is a dip I could take that would give an arcane caster progression as well as the ability to use a martial weapon?

Anyone got any ideas?

edit: I have whip as an exotic weapon, but I doubt that counts as a martial weapon by raw tho. I may be able to talk my DM into letting me get into the PrC with that since weapon proffs for caster classes unrelated to a weapon are just silly anyway

OldTrees1
2015-03-12, 01:40 AM
IIRC the Militia feat gives you proficiency with ALL martial weapons.

Alternatively, remember that ToB classes are good dips for everyone.

Crake
2015-03-12, 01:42 AM
Anything that gives you the outsider type will also give you proficiency with all martial weapons?

Troacctid
2015-03-12, 01:43 AM
Ruathar has you covered. 3/3 casting, 2/3 BAB, 4+Int skill points, martial weapon proficiency with your choice of longsword/rapier/longbow/shortbow, and you qualify for it automatically as a 5th level Wizard. All you need to do is perform some great service to an elf community and you are set.

Grek
2015-03-12, 02:14 AM
The Battle Sorcerer variant from Unearthed Arcana, p. 56 gives you a couple martially inclined abilities (including Proficiency in one martial weapon of choice) and is otherwise a (mostly) full caster. It also has a variant wizard who trades out wizard bonus feats for fighter bonus feats. Half Celestial and Half Fiend both make your type Outsider, which in turn gives you MWP: All.

animewatcha
2015-03-12, 02:15 AM
what is your race as we may be able to work from it?

A_S
2015-03-12, 02:49 AM
Dragonslayer gives proficiency, casting, and BAB at first level; it's got a nasty feat tax though.

Human Paragon gives 2/3 casting progression, proficiency in one martial weapon, and some other nice stuff. Obviously only works if you're a human.

The Otherworldly feat makes you an Outsider, giving you proficiency (although it requires some obscure races and is written for Forgotten Realms fluff).

The Planar Touchstone feat keyed to the Catalogues of Enlightenment can get you the War Domain's granted power, which gives proficiency and Weapon Focus in your deity's favored weapon; if you worship a deity who favors a martial weapon, it'll do the trick. If you're a Wizard, there's also an ACF in Complete Champion that lets you swap out a Wizard bonus feat for a domain power, which will also work.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-12, 03:57 AM
Well this build is a succubus savage species progression as the race with unseelie fey, magic blooded, and creature of lust as templates added on.
Progressing from there I was thinking about picking up Lilitu and going duel caster, but decided to stick it out to arcane.
My plan atm is to max out my mage armor and shield bonus, so all that I will need to worry about is saves magic wise, however one of course, needs a melee weapon proff.
As such - the Battle Sorcerer that was recommended fits the bill nicely, but that extra spell drain hurts quite a bit
I can always take a feat, but trying not to for obvious reasons

Ive had my eye on Ruathar, but as a creature who is mostly going to be NE or CE, I would not be "helping" the elfs so much as subjecting there entire village to lust.

Since I made this post ive been thinking about it for a bit, but I may just drop the whole extra armor deal and aim for 7fold. You really cant go wrong with that PrC, save the fact that taking 2 feats that give an increase to the save DC of spells that almost all of have no saving throw <_<

On a side note, are there any good PrC for metamagic?
In Neverwinter Nights 2, there is the arcane scholar of candlekeep, but I have yet to find anything like it in 3.5. Im thinking that focusing on metamagic with my insane CHA may be a better idea,
Of course I am open to suggestions too :)

ericgrau
2015-03-12, 04:04 AM
As outsiders don't succubi get proficiency with all martial weapons?

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-12, 04:50 AM

sure enough, I dont know how I missed that, thanks for making me double check that!

Curmudgeon
2015-03-12, 04:54 AM
That's irrelevant, I'm afraid. Unseelie Fey changes the type to Fey, and they only have proficiency with simple weapons.

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-12, 09:36 AM
That's irrelevant, I'm afraid. Unseelie Fey changes the type to Fey, and they only have proficiency with simple weapons.

True, but he is right in this situation, I just overlooked it somehow :P

Thanks for the help everyone!! :)

OldTrees1
2015-03-12, 10:47 AM
True, but he is right in this situation, I just overlooked it somehow :P

Thanks for the help everyone!! :)

If an Outsider has the Unseelie Fey template they gain the Augmented Outsider subtype and thus retain the Outsider features(but the Fey traits) MMpg291

Unfortunately type based proficiency is a trait and the Fey one only gives "all simple weapons"

You would retain the
8-sided Hit Dice.
—Base attack bonus equal to total Hit Dice (as fighter).
—Good Fortitude, Reflex, and Will saves.
—Skill points equal to (8 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per racial Hit
Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.
as an Augmented Outsider

ShurikVch
2015-03-12, 11:30 AM
lastly, if there is a dip I could take that would give an arcane caster progression as well as the ability to use a martial weapon? Thrall of Demogorgon or Thrall of Orcus - both are from Book of Vile Darkness

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-12, 04:31 PM
Dual Actions (Su): Twice per day, a 4th-level thrall of Demogorgon can take two full rounds' worth of actions in the same round.

....first thing I thought of with that was a time stands still combo lol
you know, for when you need to be 100% sure that the target is dead
...better pick up lightning maces too while we are at it :P

bjoern
2015-03-12, 05:39 PM
Well this build is a succubus savage species progression as the race with unseelie fey, magic blooded, and creature of lust as templates added on.
Progressing from there I was thinking about picking up Lilitu and going duel caster, but decided to stick it out to arcane.
My plan atm is to max out my mage armor and shield bonus, so all that I will need to worry about is saves magic wise, however one of course, needs a melee weapon proff.
As such - the Battle Sorcerer that was recommended fits the bill nicely, but that extra spell drain hurts quite a bit
I can always take a feat, but trying not to for obvious reasons

Ive had my eye on Ruathar, but as a creature who is mostly going to be NE or CE, I would not be "helping" the elfs so much as subjecting there entire village to lust.

Since I made this post ive been thinking about it for a bit, but I may just drop the whole extra armor deal and aim for 7fold. You really cant go wrong with that PrC, save the fact that taking 2 feats that give an increase to the save DC of spells that almost all of have no saving throw <_<

On a side note, are there any good PrC for metamagic?
In Neverwinter Nights 2, there is the arcane scholar of candlekeep, but I have yet to find anything like it in 3.5. Im thinking that focusing on metamagic with my insane CHA may be a better idea,
Of course I am open to suggestions too :)

If your still planning on abjurant champion, don't forget that mage armor is conjuration and doesnt get the bonus from abjurant armor. You'll have to go with luminous armor from BoED and some how be a good aligned succubus.

Xerlith
2015-03-12, 06:12 PM
If your still planning on abjurant champion, don't forget that mage armor is conjuration and doesnt get the bonus from abjurant armor. You'll have to go with luminous armor from BoED and some how be a good aligned succubus.

Eludecia (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20050824a) sets a precedent for it, so you're probably good to go.

About Arcane Scholar - the class is (very loosely, I admit) based on the Most Broken Arcane PrC Evar - Incantatrix (the 3.5 version!). Player's Guide to Faerun is the book it's in, IIRC. Just look at it. In all its glory.

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-12, 07:48 PM
Eludecia (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20050824a) sets a precedent for it, so you're probably good to go.

About Arcane Scholar - the class is (very loosely, I admit) based on the Most Broken Arcane PrC Evar - Incantatrix (the 3.5 version!). Player's Guide to Faerun is the book it's in, IIRC. Just look at it. In all its glory.

Is that the one that is able to assist others using there own metamagic, or the one that becomes immune to death effects and drain? I could never tell what one precessed the other