PDA

View Full Version : Deus ex Machina [PrC]

Telonius
2007-04-10, 12:26 AM
Apologies if this has been done before, but I couldn't find anything exactly like it in the Compendium.

Deus ex Machina

Though the realms of healing and magical engineering might seem worlds apart, they are not always so. Occasionally, a Cleric's studies may leave him curious about the crafting of magical items. Likewise, an Artificer may find a greater appreciation of their gods through their crafting, and take up the cloth. Such a divine crafter is known as a Deus ex Machina. The name was reportedly first used as a joke among Gnomish Artificers, who derided the Deus ex Machinas because of their lack of focus. However, the Deus ex Machinas took it as a badge of pride, and the name stuck.

While not particularly common in any race, Deus ex Machinas are most often Gnomes or Dwarves. Deities stressing any sort of craft or engineering are likely to have Deus ex Machinas among their servants; some serve as chief architects for the construction of great temples. Among the more warlike deities, Deus ex Machinas may be called on to serve as armorers, weaponsmiths, and magewrights to their holy orders. It is extremely rare for a druid to become a Deus ex Machina. Although nothing specifically prevents a Druid from becoming one, its reliance on technology and metalworking is often at odds with the Druidic philosophy.

Hit Die: d4
Requirements:
Knowledge (architecture and engineering) 6 ranks
Knowledge (religion) 6 ranks
Spells: Ability to cast second level Divine spells
Infusions: Ability to use second level Infusions

Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Knowledge (architecture and engineering), Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), Profession, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device.
Special: A Deus Ex Machina adds any Class Skills gained through a Cleric Domain to the class skill list.

Skill Points Each Level: 2 + Intelligence Modifier

Class Features: All the following are features of the Deus ex Machina prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: a Deus ex Machina gains no weapon or armor proficiencies.

Spells/Infusions per day:
When a new Deus ex Machina level is gained, the character gains new infusions per day as if he had also gained a level in the Artificer class and any one Divine spellcasting class he belonged to previously. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that he adds the level of Deus ex Machina to the Artificer level and divine casting class level, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly. If a character had more than one divine spellcasting class before he became a Deus ex Machina, he must decide to which class he adds each level of Deus ex Machina for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Craft Bonus:
A Deus ex Machina gets half the craft reserve an equivalent-level Artificer would receive. To determine the amount of the craft points, add the number of Deus ex Machina levels to the number of Artificer levels; this is the effective Artificer Level. This bonus only applies to Deus ex Machina levels. If a character with levels in Deus ex Machina takes a new level of Artificer, the Deus ex Machina levels do not count for determining new craft reserve points.

Holy Insight: Levels of Deus ex Machina stack with levels of Artificer for purposes of Artificer Knowledge checks, as well as with Cleric levels for Turning or Rebuking undead.

Turn/Rebuke Construct: Beginning at 2nd level, a Deus ex Machina of any alignment may Turn, Rebuke, Bolster, or Command any Construct (with the exception of Living Constructs), in the same manner a Cleric can Turn, Rebuke, Bolster, or Command undead. Use your Deus ex Machina level instead of your Cleric level to determine turning damage. Any Constructs that would be "destroyed" have their hit points reduced to zero; they are deactivated rather than obliterated.

Bonus Feats: At 3rd, 6th, and 9th level, a Deus ex Machina gains a bonus feat. The feat must be chosen from the following list: Attune Magic Weapon, Craft Construct, Exceptional Artisan, Extra Rings, Extra Turning, Extraordinary Artisan, Legendary Artisan, Wand Mastery, any Item Creation feat, or any Metamagic feat.

Maker's Touch: At 7th level, a Deus ex Machina's Conjuration (Healing) spells and spell-like effects (such as a Paladin's Lay On Hands ability) are fully functional on any construct.

Deus Ex Machina
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|+1 level of Artificer Infusions/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class, Craft Bonus, Holy Insight
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|+1 level of Artificer Infusions/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class, Craft Bonus, Turn/Rebuke Construct
3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|+1 level of Artificer Infusions/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class, Bonus Feat, Craft Bonus
4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|+1 level of Artificer Infusions/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class, Craft Bonus
5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|+1 level of Artificer Infusions/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class, Craft Bonus
6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|+1 level of Artificer Infusions/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class, Bonus Feat, Craft Bonus
7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|+1 level of Artificer Infusions/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class, Craft Bonus, Maker's Touch
8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|+1 level of Artificer Infusions/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class, Craft Bonus
9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|+1 level of Artificer Infusions/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class, Bonus Feat, Craft Bonus
10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|+1 level of Artificer Infusions/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class, Craft Bonus.[/table]

Telonius
2007-04-10, 09:18 AM
Over 30 views and no replies ... was it that good? That bad? That bland?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-10, 09:34 AM
Over 30 views and no replies ... was it that good? That bad? That bland?

Happens to me all the time. You generally have three choices;

1. Wait for things to get going and bump it

2. Let it fall into obscurity

3. Yell out something offensive

Even when people do post the ammount of views is usually smaller than the ammount of supplies.

Telonius
2007-04-10, 09:41 AM
Yeah, that's why I was bumping it. Anyway, I didn't want this to be just a "Mystic Theurge - but you can use Artificer to qualify." Does the craft bonus make sense? What about that +2 at 10th level?

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-04-10, 09:51 AM
It makes sense to me, the craft bonus, that is.

I can see the idea of the class, sort of, though not being an Eberron player, not a lot.

However, isn't the Artificer considered one of the most powerful classes in D&D? And isn't one of their primary limiting factors their small number of infusions?

Anyways...theurge classes are always fun, and if there's room for the Eldritch Theurge, there's room for this. Consider above, but looks okay.

Telonius
2007-04-10, 10:06 AM
Probably the nastiest power that the Artificer has is the Metamagic Spell Trigger ability. Artificer doesn't get it until 7th level, and this PrC doesn't give it. If he takes Artificer7/Cleric3, he's going to be lagging in his cleric spell progression. To get as much spell and infusion progression as possible, I think most people who would take this would do it as Artificer3/Cleric3.

Hazkali
2007-04-10, 02:38 PM
Mechanically, it appears to work fine- I'd even say it's underpowered compared with other classes that grant two spellcasting progressions, on account of the d4 hit points. The Cleric will need more hit points to remain effective in combat, and it doesn't really do much to balance having the two progressions, as infusions are really weak anyway. I would up the hp to d6/level and remove the ability to take metamagic feats as bonus feats.

The +2 levels at 10th level is wrong- whilst it may get a character back to the right power level, it doesn't make up for being underpowered for the other 9 levels, and is too much of a jump in a single level.

Like it or not, it is pretty much Mystic Theurge for a Cleric/Artificer combo. Mechanistically, it doesn't really do anything interesting. It doesn't allow you to do anything cool which a single class Cleric or an Artificer can't do.

I like the concept though- perhaps a rework, with spellcasting progression once per two levels and spell-like abilities of things like Awaken Construct (I think that's right) to play up the idea of being divine masters of machines?

Maldraugedhen
2007-04-10, 02:48 PM
I think they might need a 'any non-chaotic' alignment requirement. I doubt chaotic characters would have the patience to dedicate themselves to long crafting projects like an artificer would.

Telonius
2007-04-10, 03:06 PM
Mechanically, it appears to work fine- I'd even say it's underpowered compared with other classes that grant two spellcasting progressions, on account of the d4 hit points. The Cleric will need more hit points to remain effective in combat, and it doesn't really do much to balance having the two progressions, as infusions are really weak anyway. I would up the hp to d6/level and remove the ability to take metamagic feats as bonus feats.

The +2 levels at 10th level is wrong- whilst it may get a character back to the right power level, it doesn't make up for being underpowered for the other 9 levels, and is too much of a jump in a single level.

Like it or not, it is pretty much Mystic Theurge for a Cleric/Artificer combo. Mechanistically, it doesn't really do anything interesting. It doesn't allow you to do anything cool which a single class Cleric or an Artificer can't do.

I like the concept though- perhaps a rework, with spellcasting progression once per two levels and spell-like abilities of things like Awaken Construct (I think that's right) to play up the idea of being divine masters of machines?

Hmm, that gives me an idea ... maybe a "Turn/Rebuke/Bolster Construct" ability... possibly a free "Humanoid Essence" once a day?

Maldraugedhen - I don't think this necessarily needs to be a non-chaotic character. I'm picturing this PrC being heavily populated by Gnomes, who are typically thought of as on the Chaotic side of the alignment axis. Cleric levels already have alignment issues, so I don't think it's a good idea to add on to that.

Hazkali
2007-04-10, 03:14 PM
That's what I'm talking about! I like that idea!

By the power invested in me, I drive thee back, evil machines!

:smallbiggrin:

Telonius
2007-04-10, 03:34 PM
There we go. I think that's enough of a power bump that I've knocked down the tenth level to +1/+1 progression.

ObsidianRose
2007-04-10, 03:41 PM
Oh god, this class just screams for abuse from the Artificer/Archivist people. Cast every spell in the game?

Telonius
2007-04-10, 03:46 PM
An Artificer/Archivist can do that anyway, can't it?

kitrack
2007-04-10, 04:17 PM
I am Telonius's DM. I've thought of a different version of it that I wanted to post as well. Hopefully get a good comparision between the two.
I'm skipping the fluff for now.

Hit Die: d4
Requirements:
Knowledge (architecture and engineering) 6 ranks
Knowledge (religion) 6 ranks
Craft (any) 6 ranks
Spells: Ability to cast second level Divine spells
Infusions: Ability to use second level Infusions

Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Knowledge (architecture and engineering), Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), Profession, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device.
Special: A Deus Ex Machina adds any Class Skills gained through a Cleric Domain to the class skill list.

Skill Points Each Level: 4 + Intelligence Modifier
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Feature|Craft|Spellcasting
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Improved Craft, Divine Item Creation, Holy Insight|80|+1 Divine spellcasting, +1 Artificer
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Improved Artifice|100|+1 Divine spellcasting
3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Improved Craft|125|+1 Artificer
4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Improved Artifice|150|+1 Divine spellcasting, +1 Artificer
5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Improved Craft|200|+1 Divine spellcasting, +1 Artificer
6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Improved Artifice|250|+1 Divine spellcasting, +1 Artificer
7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Improved Craft|300|+1 Artificer
8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Improved Artifice|350|+1 Divine spellcasting
9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|Improved Craft|400|+1 Divine spellcasting, +1 Artificer
10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Improved Artifice|500|+1 Divine spellcasting, +1 Artificer
11th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Improved Craft|700|+1 Artificer
12th|+6|+4|+4|+8|Improved Artifice|900|+1 Divine spellcasting
13th|+6|+4|+4|+8|Improved Craft|1200|+1 Divine spellcasting, +1 Artificer
14th|+7|+4|+4|+9|Improved Artifice|1500|+1 Divine spellcasting, +1 Artificer[/table]

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: a Deus ex Machina gains no weapon or armor proficiencies.
Divine Spellcasting: At every level except 3rd, 7th, and 11th, the DEM gains improved spellcasting in his Divine class yada yada
Artificer Infusions: At every level except 2nd, 8th, and 12th, the DEM gains improved spellcasting in his artificer class yada yada
Craft Reserve: At every level, the DEM gets a craft reserve (as the artificer class feature)
Improved Craft: At every odd level, the DEM gets a bonus Item Creation feat he qualifies for.
Divine Item Creation: The artificer's divine caster class levels, artificer levels, and DEM levels stack for qualifying for an Item Creation feat that requires a certain caster level. Ex: 3 Artificer/3 cleric/6 DEM qualifies for Craft Staff.
Holy Insight: Levels of Deus ex Machina stack with levels of Artificer for purposes of Artificer Knowledge checks.
Improved Artifice: At every even level, the DEM can choose an ability from the following menu. Each item has a prerequisite number of combined DEM and artificer levels. Each ability can be take only once. Some abilities appear more than once, and can be take once for each time they appear.
{table=head]Level|Feature
4 | A bonus feat from the artificer's bonus feat list
4 | A metamagic feat
4 | Turn/Rebuke Construct
5 | Retain essense (as the artificer's class ability
7 | Expanded Crafting
8 | A metamagic feat
9 | Metamagic Spell Trigger (as the artificer's class ability)
9 | Metamagic Spell Completion (as the artificer's class ability)
9 | Skill Mastery (as the artificer's class abilitiy)
10 | A bonus feat from the artificer's bonus feat list
12 | A metamagic feat[/table]

Turn/Rebuke Construct: Beginning at 2nd level, a Deus ex Machina of any alignment may Turn, Rebuke, Bolster, or Command any Construct (with the exception of Living Constructs), in the same manner a Cleric can Turn, Rebuke, Bolster, or Command undead. Instead of your Cleric level, use the sum of your Artificer levels and your Cleric levels to determine turning damage. Any Constructs that would be "destroyed" have their hit points reduced to zero; they are deactivated rather than obliterated. Selecting Turn/Rebuke Construct replaces any other turn/rebuke ability you might have (such as Turn/Rebuke Undead or Turn/Rebuke Elementals).

Expanded Crafting: You gain increased Craft Reserve. You are treated as a DEM one level higher for the purposes of your craft reserve. Ex: 3 Artificer/3 cleric/4 DEM has a craft reserve of 200, rather than 150. At 14th level of DEM, instead of a craft reserve of 1500, you have a craft reserve of 2000.

Telonius
2007-04-11, 11:06 AM
I like the Craft (any) requirement. I was going back and forth as to whether that needed to be required - it certainly makes sense for it to be there. It hadn't occurred to me to make this a 14-level PrC, but this mechanically covers pretty much everything I'd been thinking about for it.

So, at 20th level (assuming he started as Cleric3/Artificer3) he'll be casting as a 14th-level cleric, 14th-level Artificer. So a bit of lost caster levels compared to the more Theurgey build above - Cleric5/Artificer5/DeM10 would give casting as a 15th-level cleric, 15th-level Artificer. But the bonuses definitely make up for the loss. I particularly like the Artifice abilities. More like a Loremaster progression in that regard, than a Theurge. Very customizable.