PDA

View Full Version : Optimization advice on a druid, possibly as the main healer

Saito Takuji
2015-03-12, 06:08 PM
The campaign i will be in is a nautical world, basic premise is that the party were/are crew members of a ship, and eventually we became friendly with a wealthy gentleman whom it turns out used to be a pirate. recently he found out he is terminally ill. so he hired us as the party on as part of his crew for one last adventure.

But anyways, as i mentioned i may be the only healer, as the party otherwise is seeming to consist of a sorcerer, a fighter(or barbarian) and another fighter, focusing on archery, and i think a monk.

so being as the likely main healer i assume i would need to go as a land druid, as opposed to a moon druid. or at least going land would be much easier, due to only getting 2 shifts per rest until level 20, unless i am missing something somewhere that allows me to get extra shifting times. tho the thing is aside from a few extra circle spells, which aren't a huge help in healing, and regaining some spells during a short rest, i see little reason to chose land, over moon.

calebrus
2015-03-12, 06:20 PM
so being as the likely main healer i assume i would need to go as a land druid, as opposed to a moon druid.

If I were going to play a Druid as a main healer, I'd see if the DM would let me make a new subclass.
Something like a Seasonal Druid, where Spring (rebirth) is healing focused, Autumn (death) is necro focused, Summer and Winter are fire and cold focused, respectively.
Or maybe an Elementalist Druid, with summer and winter remaining fire/cold, with spring and autumn being water and air respectively (water/spring once again being the healing focus).

Saito Takuji
2015-03-12, 06:28 PM
If I were going to play a Druid as a main healer, I'd see if the DM would let me make a new subclass.
Something like a Seasonal Druid, where Spring (rebirth) is healing focused, Autumn (death) is necro focused, Summer and Winter are fire and cold focused, respectively.
Or maybe an Elementalist Druid, with summer and winter remaining fire/cold, with spring and autumn being water and air respectively (water/spring once again being the healing focus).

that sounds like an amazing concept, especially if you look more on the fae aspects of druidism.

but this is the first time any of us are playing 5th eddition, so not sure what sorts of things each of the different seasons could get, that would remain balanced, hmm mabey i could convince the archer to go for ranger, for some help in healing

Flashy
2015-03-12, 06:39 PM
mabey i could convince the archer to go for ranger, for some help in healing

You really don't need to over-think it this hard. In the groups I've played in healing has been an afterthought rather than a focus and we've had essentially no trouble. If you want to be a healer that's great and can be really effective, you just don't need to worry about it to the point of setting multiple characters up to be able to do it.

Land druid should be fine. Healing word in combat, cure wounds out of combat, maybe take the healer feat (assuming you're using feat rules) for the quite reasonable healer's kit proficiency.

calebrus
2015-03-12, 07:00 PM
that sounds like an amazing concept, especially if you look more on the fae aspects of druidism.

but this is the first time any of us are playing 5th eddition, so not sure what sorts of things each of the different seasons could get, that would remain balanced, hmm mabey i could convince the archer to go for ranger, for some help in healing

The ease of designing balanced homebrew options is one of 5e's strengths. You just look at what levels that class gets subclass options, and tailor some to fit, comparing them to other class/subclass abilities of approximate level.
For this, we'd look at Cleric of Life and Land Druid (and possibly Sorcerer for the elementalist) as the most appropriate.

So let's try the Elementalist here.
Druid Circle abilities at 2, 6, 10, and 14
Elemental Circle

2nd level: Bonus Cantrip:
You learn one cantrip of your choice from the list below based on your elemental focus. (some most cantrips taken from the free download player's companion for Elemental Evil, available from the Wizard's site)
Air: Gust or Thunderclap
Earth: Magic Stone or Mold Earth
Fire: Produce Flame or Control Flames
Water: Frostbite or Shape Water

2nd level: Natural Recovery
Same as Wizard and Land Druid

3rd level: Circle Spells
< insert 2 spells for levels 2, 3, 4, and 5 for each element, these spells are always prepared >

6th level: Elemental Affinity
Add your Wis modifier to damage of spells pertaining to your element and to healing spells. You have advantage on saving throws against spells from your element.

10th & 16th level Land Druid abilities are both easily reflavored to focus on elementals rather than fey/beasts/plants.

It looks very much like a Land Druid, but with an Elemental twist.

Luriant
2015-03-12, 07:03 PM
Goodberry, and use the remain spell slots to cast at the end of the day. The berries last 24 hours.
The druid of my group have 30~40 points of life in berries, enough for heal the party between fights, and without using the spells slots reserved for this day.

I'm the Cleric of the group, and the Druid heal more than me.

Yorrin
2015-03-12, 09:55 PM
More importantly if you're playing a Druid in a nautical campaign you really want to be a Water Genasi. Waterbreathing and bonuses to stats you want are pretty much too perfect.

But as some of the above people have said, as long as you prepare Cure Wounds you can function as the main healer as long as your DM isn't into crazy long/hard dungeon grinds. I mean, my current party has a Ranger doing nearly as much healing as the Cleric, because neither of them need it that much.

jazzymantis
2015-03-12, 10:29 PM
You should also remember that the fighters each get their second wind ability which give them some healing once per short rest. And your monk can get access to healing at a higher level if they pick the open hand.

Either moon or land can be fine, it sounds like your party has a strong melee presence though, so the land druid might help you be a more varied caster rather than a melee fighting animal. But do whatever suits your play style.

What level are you starting out at?

SharkForce
2015-03-12, 11:29 PM
i'd go moon druid. if you want to have lots of spell resources left over for healing, choose the type of druid that can contribute more with non-spell resources. you may have more total spells as a land druid, but the difference is that you're expecting to use those spells for combat too sometimes. with moon druid, spells are for healing, wild shape is for combat.

plus, every hit your druid takes is a hit you don't have to heal the damage from (at least, until your wild shape HP run out).

Giant2005
2015-03-13, 02:04 AM
With a bit of multiclassing you will be an amazing healer. With a level of Cleric *Life Domain) each of your Goodberries will heal 4 HP which equates to 40 total HP from a single level 1 casting. If that isn't enough for you, add a level or two of Warlock so you can use short rest spell slots in the morning to stock up on a few dozen Goodberries before short resting and continuing your day.

SharkForce
2015-03-13, 03:01 AM
With a bit of multiclassing you will be an amazing healer. With a level of Cleric *Life Domain) each of your Goodberries will heal 4 HP which equates to 40 total HP from a single level 1 casting. If that isn't enough for you, add a level or two of Warlock so you can use short rest spell slots in the morning to stock up on a few dozen Goodberries before short resting and continuing your day.

note: based on an exceptionally questionable ruling, you would get 40 HP from a goodberry spell. other possible rulings include the life cleric ability doing nothing whatsoever, making one berry heal for an extra 3 HP, or giving you 3 extra berries (either of the last two being the more likely rulings, i would expect, but you never know). do note that, as i recall, life cleric gives you extra healing when a healing spell is cast, not when a spell you cast heals someone.

Flashy
2015-03-13, 03:29 AM
snip

Not to mention that every DM I've ever played with loathes short rest shenanigans like the suggested warlock dip.

Giant2005
2015-03-13, 03:52 AM
Not to mention that every DM I've ever played with loathes short rest shenanigans like the suggested warlock dip.

It isn't really Shenanigans - your character needs 6 hours sleep a night (Even less if it is an Elf or Warforged or something) which gives him an extra 2 hours spare while everyone has their long rests. It isn't shenanigans or even unreasonable for him to forgo a long rest byt taking two short rests instead (As well as 6 hours sleep). There is an opportunity cost for his actions and it doesn't hold up the game at all. It would also get him 160 HP worth of Goodberries each day.

Flashy
2015-03-13, 04:52 AM
It isn't really Shenanigans

Using short rests to front-load your spellcasting and still have the maximum number of spell slots later is sort of exploity.

I'm not saying it's wrong or bad or anything, I just personally don't know any DMs who would allow you to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Person_Man
2015-03-13, 11:10 AM
I'd also say that when your party starts to run low on spell slots, its perfectly acceptable to simply withdraw to somewhere safe, spend one or two days resting and healing, and then start adventuring again with your full complement of spells and hit points.

In my opinion, Healing is supposed to be a combat option, not as a tax on the party's overall resources. No one should be forced to forgo other fun options that they want to do as a requirement of keeping the party alive.

Myzz
2015-03-13, 12:38 PM
to OP...

1. Are you wanting to play a druid because of Shapeshifting?

2. Or are you wanting a nature oriented caster?

3. Or are you wanting to be the primary healer?

As I see it the main differences between Nature Cleric and Druid is Shapeshifting and Natural Recovery available to Druid, Heavy armor, channel divinity and Divine Intervention for Cleric.

I'd actually say that if 3 is why your taking a Healer... I'd argue Lore Bard could potentially be the better option... Cure wounds has range of touch... I'd use healing word instead...

Lore Bard could cherry pick whichever spells you need to get for heals... Due to cherry picking, Lore Bard could have potentially better combat spells than either Cleric or Druid. In combat casting heals, seems less optimal than casting Damage or Control spells to prevent further Damage (for the use of that same spell slot). For out of combat healing all bards get a Free AoE Heal...

As a Druid you won't acquire a form with swim speed (and therefore water breathing) until L4... If your starting 4 or higher than great... If not thats a long time to wait to take Land Druid for this Utility Ability...

If your not too concerned about really being the Party Healer and don't care about Shapeshifting... But instead want to play a Nature Themed Caster... Don't Forget ArchFey Warlock.

If your Hip on being a Druid... then I guess forget everything I just typed =)