PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Spell point Question

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-12, 09:10 PM
Where there any follow up rules for Spell Points?
Running into some issues with later books

Flickerdart
2015-03-12, 09:11 PM
Not to my knowledge. They don't really lend themselves to expandability the same way other UA stuff (flaws, traits, ACFs) does. Plus, the other stuff is way more popular.

torrasque666
2015-03-12, 10:54 PM

what kind of issues?

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-13, 01:42 AM
Issues such as monsters using savage species and how many power points they have
issues relating to one that casts cleric spells at +4 there creature level, AND use CHA as the primary casting stat for there divine spells
issues mixing up some prestige classes that prepare spells or SC them
issues related to converting some feats to power point equivalents

just to name a few :P

Andezzar
2015-03-13, 02:40 AM
Issues such as monsters using savage species and how many power points they haveSavage Species has not received a 3.5 update, so you as a DM are encouraged to make any necessary adjustments.

issues relating to one that casts cleric spells at +4 there creature level, AND use CHA as the primary casting stat for there divine spellsI don't see any issue here, especially not with the combination of the two features. You gain power points as a cleric of HD +4 and instead of WIS CHA determines the bonus spell points.

issues mixing up some prestige classes that prepare spells or SC themWhat's theissue here

issues related to converting some feats to power point equivalentsWhich one in particular?

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-13, 09:45 AM
@Andezzar

the spell point table seems to be designed around if you prepare spells, or if you spontaneously cast them.
If you where a class that did one, but then suddenly ended up in a prc that gave you the ability to do the other, but it was the same spellcasting class, then that would require - at least as how I see it - to gain points related to the new casting method.

Frankly I think I am about to say F-it, and just combine the points of both sides of the progression. That would at least make duel progression prc's a bit stronger

Ashtagon
2015-03-13, 09:56 AM
For classes not listed, you can calculate their spell points by counting 1 pt per 1st level spell, 3 pts per 2nd, 5 pts per 3rd, 7 pts per 4th, and so on, adding up the spell points from each spell level they could cast.

Andezzar
2015-03-13, 10:03 AM
@Andezzar

the spell point table seems to be designed around if you prepare spells, or if you spontaneously cast them.
If you where a class that did one, but then suddenly ended up in a prc that gave you the ability to do the other, but it was the same spellcasting class, then that would require - at least as how I see it - to gain points related to the new casting method.

Frankly I think I am about to say F-it, and just combine the points of both sides of the progression. That would at least make duel progression prc's a bit strongerI'm not quite sure which PrCs you are talking about. Do you have examples? If you gain a new type of spellcasting (like sorcerer casting to a wizard) you gain separate spell slots and so with the variant you would get separate spell points. If you only leanr how to cast certain spells spontaneously (like a cleric and his cure/inflic spells) those simply count as being always prepared.