PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a few good feats

Nogard
2007-04-10, 01:06 AM
Ok, heres the situation. I am rebuilding a character from an old campaign and moving it into 3.5 ed. I'm new to 3.5 but reading a lot and liking it. The GM has a vast book supply, so i can draw from pretty much anywhere, so long as it stays true to the original character concept.

Now due to an adventure reward I have flight (good), and have 2 feats to spare and I'm really lo king for a good way to take advantage of these in battle.

Any suggestions?

Dhavaer
2007-04-10, 01:09 AM
There's a feat somewhere that increases your maneouverablity by one catergory, so you'd have Perfect. For the rest it would depend on your class and level. If you're evil, Willing Deformity (claws) could be useful; diving gives you double damage on claw attacks.

Amiria
2007-04-10, 01:12 AM
Flyby Attack. Also try to qualify for Improved Flyby Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#improvedFlybyAttack).

Nogard
2007-04-10, 01:19 AM
Flyby Attack. Also try to qualify for Improved Flyby Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#improvedFlybyAttack).

Excellent! I would have to work up to the improved version. Only level 6. One of my feats is actually already going into improved flight to get the good maneuverability. Would that be better spent elsewhere?

The character is a Dragon Shaman (was a cleric in old campaign with Io as his deity). I am serving the dual role of Tank/Healer.

Maryring
2007-04-10, 01:25 AM
Which feats do you already have? And are you primarily a tank or a healer, or a mix of both? I remember a feat from Complete Divine which allows you to add +2 per spell level to the amount of hp you heal with the spell. Would that be of use for you?

Edit: Also. Power attack. That's almost always a good feat to have if you're going melee.

Dhavaer
2007-04-10, 01:27 AM
Which feats do you already have? And are you primarily a tank or a healer, or a mix of both? I remember a feat from Complete Divine which allows you to add +2 per spell level to the amount of hp you heal with the spell. Would that be of use for you?

It wouldn't, Dragon Shamans don't cast spells. Their healing is more like Lay On Hands.

Nogard
2007-04-10, 01:32 AM
well... I'm pretty much stuck as Dragon Shaman... it really is closer to what the character was in the first place. And my primary role is tank, so combat feats are what i need. So far of the 3 feats i have coming, I have taken improved flight to get the good maneuverability.

Edited to add:
I'm armed with a nifty rod (treat as morning star +2), have good str but average dex. high con and a decent set of HP rolls.

Dhavaer
2007-04-10, 01:36 AM
The Draconomicon has metabreath feats you might find useful.

Nogard
2007-04-10, 01:41 AM
The Draconomicon has metabreath feats you might find useful.

I have that (well I'm borrowing it), and have looked into those. But I'm really looking to improve all around melee damage, not relying on a limited use effect.

Maryring
2007-04-10, 01:41 AM
It wouldn't, Dragon Shamans don't cast spells. Their healing is more like Lay On Hands.

Ah. That should teach me not to get involved in classes I only know from hearsay.

well... I'm pretty much stuck as Dragon Shaman... it really is closer to what the character was in the first place. And my primary role is tank, so combat feats are what i need. So far of the 3 feats i have coming, I have taken improved flight to get the good maneuverability.

Edited to add:
I'm armed with a nifty rod (treat as morning star +2), have good str but average dex. high con and a decent set of HP rolls.
If you have an int of at least 13, you could go the combat expertise route. Or if your strength is at least 13, you could go the power attack route. You might have to take a few levels of fighter to get the feats though, but both routes are great for melee fighters.

Power attack will help you increase the damage done with your weapon. Improved critical will increase the number of crits you get (though not adviced, since you won't have many feats) and if you get power attack, nab cleave for an extra attack each time you down an enemy.

Catch
2007-04-10, 01:47 AM

Edited to add:

How's your Charisma? I know that's a staple ability of Dragon Shamans, so if yours is high enough, why not take Frightful Presence? It's in the Draconomicon, as I recall.

Nothing like evoking sheer terror in your foes by means of looking nasty.

Nogard
2007-04-10, 01:52 AM
Additionally i have several ranks in intimidate and that nifty skill trick Never Outnumbered. Is there any way to further take advantage of this with feats?

Nogard
2007-04-10, 01:54 AM
How's your Charisma? I know that's a staple ability of Dragon Shamans, so if yours is high enough, why not take Frightful Presence? It's in the Draconomicon, as I recall.

Nothing like evoking sheer terror in your foes by means of looking nasty.

my charisma is phenomenal. My GM let me swap it with my wisdom (since originally he was a cleric)... So that goes right along. OK i think you might have sold me... looking it up

^_^

Edited to add:
Oh yeah! Frightful Presence it is. OK thats one... i still have one more to spend... i suppose power attack would probably be a good choice

The_Snark
2007-04-10, 02:04 AM
Power Attack would work. Intimidating Strike, from the PHBII, could also work, though I'm not sure how well it works along with Frightful Presence.

Nogard
2007-04-10, 02:07 AM
Power Attack would work. Intimidating Strike, from the PHBII, could also work, though I'm not sure how well it works along with Frightful Presence.

I was just looking at intimidating strike. but it seems frightful presence is far more effective.

enderrocksonall
2007-04-10, 05:29 AM
If you've got the Races of the Dragon book you can look at improving the weight you can carry with Reinforced Wings. You'd be surprised how useful it can be to pick up your allies and fly them around.

Person_Man
2007-04-10, 08:20 AM
Instead of the hopelessly mediocre Dragon Shaman, might I suggest the far more useful Dragonfire Adept (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060912a&page=2).

Their breath weapon and invocations are far more powerful (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=780301). It has the same dragon fluff, and can even challenge full spellcasters in terms of battlefield control, especially when combined with Metabreath feats. Plus their abilities synergize perfectly with flight, to the point where they give it to you as a class option just to make sure you have access to it.

I can't suggest any feats in particular without knowing your build. But there is no way you can effectively tank with a Dragon Shaman. They lack full BAB, AC, and bonus feats. At best, they can be combined with Marshal to make half decent social Skill Monkeys.