PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Anthropomorphic Giant Squid

bootzin
2015-03-12, 10:39 PM
Hey, guys!
So, I was looking through the Savage Species, and I came across the Anthropomorphic creature, and I was curious about the details of the Anthropomorphic giant squid..

Although the book gives a lot of information about the template, there are a lot of things that I'm still confused.

First of all, regarding special attacks.. It says that I lose any special attack that was related with an specific limb (Such as trample attacks). Does that mean that I do not receive Improved Grab and Constrict from the Giant Squid?

Secondly, what about the special qualities, do I get to keep them all? Like Jet and Ink Cloud?

Finally, the Giant squid has an equivalent of the "reach" weapon property on his tentacles (Basically, their range is doubled). Do I get to keep this ability when getting an anthropomorphic version of it? Or is it considered some sort of special attack?

Also, How do I know wether skills are class skills or not? Regarding Racial Hit Dies?

EDIT----

Also, another doubt: The text says that a giant squid uses his other tentacles to attack when he is grappling a target. Does that mean that I can do the same? Threaten squares while grapling?

PaucaTerrorem
2015-03-12, 11:10 PM
Find the stats for Cthulhu.

bootzin
2015-03-13, 05:04 AM
I guess this doesn't really answer my doubts :/

Does someone have any idea of how would it work?

Ashtagon
2015-03-13, 08:06 AM
The class skills for racial HD are whatever the base creature has for skills. So, Listen, Spot, and Swim.

Necroticplague
2015-03-13, 09:26 AM
First of all, regarding special attacks.. It says that I lose any special attack that was related with an specific limb (Such as trample attacks). Does that mean that I do not receive Improved Grab and Constrict from the Giant Squid?False, it says it loses special attacks relying on a nonhumanoid shape. Constrict and Improved Grab don't rely on whether you have a humanoid shape, they rely on your tentacles. Which you still have. Ergo you still have it.

Secondly, what about the special qualities, do I get to keep them all? Like Jet and Ink Cloud?The beggining of the template (and the general rule for templates) says that you keep anything it doesn't say it changes. It doesn't say that it loses special qualities, so you keep them.

Finally, the Giant squid has an equivalent of the "reach" weapon property on his tentacles (Basically, their range is doubled). Do I get to keep this ability when getting an anthropomorphic version of it? Or is it considered some sort of special attack? Technically, it just says that its tentacles have 30 feet of reach, not that its reach is doubled with its tentacles. Since the tentacles of an anthropomorphic squid are the same as those of a giant squid (save for different size), its tentacles technically have 30 feet reach. However, that's one of those nonsensical 'you're being way too literal here', but you'd definitely get an improved reach with your tentacles. Probably just double it.

Also, another doubt: The text says that a giant squid uses his other tentacles to attack when he is grappling a target. Does that mean that I can do the same? Threaten squares while grappling?
They can do that because of their Improved Grab ability, which allows them to grapple using only the tentacle attack. As per above, you keep that, so you can.

bootzin
2015-03-13, 10:06 AM
But that would also mean that my tentacles can be directly attacked, right? With only 10HP each and dealig 5 points of damage to me when they are destroyed..
Would there be any way around this?

Necroticplague
2015-03-13, 10:08 AM
But that would also mean that my tentacles can be directly attacked, right?

Yes, they could be sundered like a normal giant squid's can.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-13, 10:12 AM
But that would also mean that my tentacles can be directly attacked, right? With only 10HP each and dealig 5 points of damage to me when they are destroyed..

Plate them in Adamatine?

Ashtagon
2015-03-13, 10:18 AM

Yes. Don't attack with them. If your opponent can reach them, he can't attack them.

Doctor Awkward
2015-03-13, 10:21 AM
Find a way to get some damage reduction.

A lot of it.

Regeneration (the special quality, not the spell) might help too, since it would prevent things from doing real damage to your tentacles and thus being unable to sever them.

So long as your character looks like this I think that should settle any disputes on you still having tentacles:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ac/Squidward.png

Necroticplague
2015-03-13, 10:35 AM

Slap on the Lernean variant of Multiheaded. Makes your body immune to damage, leaving you only vulnerable to decapitation.

Alternatively, deal with it. 5 damage isn't a whole lot past the very low levels, and anything over 10 is wasted, so its actually in your best interests HP-wise if they attack your tentacles instead of your body. If they hit your tentacle for 25 damage, you take 5. if they hit you for 25, you take 25. It'll grow back in about two weeks, anyway. Faster if you pick up the Regeneration ability (such as through the troll-blooded feat). Plus, regeneration would let you just re-attach your tentacles after the battle.

bootzin
2015-03-13, 06:27 PM
My main concern is becaus I'll lose my limbs! haha
But seriously, I won't be able to carry my weapons anymore..

Anyway, I guess I'll have to deal with that

But I have another doubt: What about languages? It doesn't speak any? Do I have to have a high INT or spend skill points to know even the most basic (Common)? (I'm not considering items here)

Darrin
2015-03-13, 07:29 PM
By RAW, if you have an Int of at least 3, you speak Common by default, unless there's something in the text that says otherwise.

Vizzerdrix
2015-03-13, 08:12 PM
Hmm...

Would you be able to get Hardness cast on your tentacles?

daremetoidareyo
2015-03-14, 12:09 AM
Druid /monk with fuse arms. Boom.

bootzin
2015-03-14, 06:43 AM
I don't think that I could cast hardness on it.. It wouldn't qualify as a valid target..

And I've considered the Druid/monk possibility with fuse arms, but I don't really like casters, and I'm going for something a little bit crazier: I'll go for master of masks for all exotic weapons proficiencies, wield a lot of exotic weapons, and have a gargantuan+ backup weapon. I'll also focus on grappling as a backup strategy, and a one level dip in soul eater just for fun

Wacky89
2015-03-14, 12:17 PM
All anthropomorphic animals
have humanoid arms and hands.

So there is that.

Anthrowhale
2015-03-14, 02:03 PM
A few notes:

(1) Anthropomorphic squids are aquatic, and hence can't breath air. The amphibious template in stormwrack might help, but you'll need some solution unless this is an aquatic campaign.

(2) Tentacles are not hands, and hence cannot wield weapons by default. If you want to wield weapons with them, you need something like the 'gloves of man' (also in Savage Species). My understanding is that you have two arms/hands (which can optionally execute a tentacle attack each), two legs, and 6 spare tentacles which are not hands.

(3) The concept you are aiming towards has a passing similarity to a Darktentacles in MMII.

bootzin
2015-03-14, 06:04 PM
A few notes:

(1) Anthropomorphic squids are aquatic, and hence can't breath air. The amphibious template in stormwrack might help, but you'll need some solution unless this is an aquatic campaign.

(2) Tentacles are not hands, and hence cannot wield weapons by default. If you want to wield weapons with them, you need something like the 'gloves of man' (also in Savage Species). My understanding is that you have two arms/hands (which can optionally execute a tentacle attack each), two legs, and 6 spare tentacles which are not hands.

(3) The concept you are aiming towards has a passing similarity to a Darktentacles in MMII.

1 - I'm using the template :P

2 - IIRC, the Anthropomorphic creature specifically says you can wield weapons, or some similar wording that allows me to wield weapons with them. I don't think that I could afford that many gloves of man :P

3 - I'll check it out, see what ideas I can take, thanks for the advice (:

Anthrowhale
2015-03-14, 07:36 PM
2 - IIRC, the Anthropomorphic creature specifically says you can wield weapons, or some similar wording that allows me to wield weapons with them.

Reading through the template:

1) You have "humanoid arms and hands".

2) You have 10 limbs, 2 of which are feet, and 8 of which can make natural attacks.

3) You can "also use weapons".

To get the number of arms you have to read the humanoid type: A humaniod (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#humanoidType) "usually has two arms".

A squid-man with 2 arms+hands (that can tentacle attack or wield weapons), 2 legs and 6 extra tentacles (that can only tentacle attack) is consistent with all rules.

A squid-man with 8 arms+hands and 2 legs is inconsistent with having humanoid arms and hands.

bootzin
2015-03-14, 09:19 PM
First of all, usually does not mean always. Usually means the majority of the time. The same way the dragonspawn or voidminds usually are slaves, the same way that you usually hit with a +1000 attack bonus. It definitely doesn't mean always.

Secondly, despite having humanoid arms and hands it is not a humanoid, so by no means it is restricted to humanoid characteristics. Note that monstrous humanoids also have an overall humanoid shape, but they are not humanoids. For instance, a Goliath has humanoid arms and hands, but is not a humanoid.

Thirdly: I think that what one could argue is that you keep all tha base creature's characteristics, except as noted in the template, and nowhere on it says that you change your tentacle attacks for unarmed strikes. But I honestly think that it is up to DM's discretion on this point, as it is not exactly clear..