PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Swiftblade?

jabberwocky9
2015-03-13, 08:49 AM
A stupid question. Anything remotely comparable classes to a swiftblade? I'm just doubting it would be an acceptable class to play since it's not in any books.

Vhaidara
2015-03-13, 08:58 AM
Well, what do you mean comparable? There are stronger gish classes (Abjurant Champion).

And what does it not being in a book have to do with anything? It's a fine class.

jabberwocky9
2015-03-13, 09:13 AM
Well, what do you mean comparable? There are stronger gish classes (Abjurant Champion).

And what does it not being in a book have to do with anything? It's a fine class.

In the process of building Battle Sorcerer/ Swiftblade/ Abjurant Champion. Any Class pulled from the website is intimidating to my group or DM.

Urpriest
2015-03-13, 09:24 AM
In the process of building Battle Sorcerer/ Swiftblade/ Abjurant Champion. Any Class pulled from the website is intimidating to my group or DM.

Classes from books should be moreso, though, since they're harder to access.

Anyway, you won't get nearly as nice abilities, but even Battle Sorcerer/Abjurant Champion gets +16 BAB by level 20 (and thus is only a maximum of 4 BAB behind over the course of their career, usually less). If you're comfortable losing more casting (which you must have been with Swiftblade) then either Eldritch Knight or Knight Phantom is a fine, if generic, way to fill the levels. You could also try to wedge in a class that gives you access to free metamagic, like Incantatrix or Spelldancer.

Hiro Quester
2015-03-13, 10:01 AM
Many DMs will take the official Wizards web-published classes without a problem. Have you asked?

It is a fine class. I have always wanted to play one (my plan got nerved by DM deciding we were going to play a core game.) A venerable Desert Kobold sorcerer/swift blade/Abjurant Champion always seemed like it would be fun to play.

jabberwocky9
2015-03-13, 10:34 AM
Many DMs will take the official Wizards web-published classes without a problem. Have you asked?

It is a fine class. I have always wanted to play one (my plan got nerved by DM deciding we were going to play a core game.) A venerable Desert Kobold sorcerer/swift blade/Abjurant Champion always seemed like it would be fun to play.

My thoughts exactly. Thought of going with the Illumian race. Group seems to think without using core books then it's cheating/manipulating their basic idea for classes. As far as asking...not yet but I will. I will succeed. Fortunately, I will be able to play most of Swiftblade classes. Unfortunately, due to most of the campaigns cease at average 15th level, I will probably will have any use of the Abjurant Champion.

jabberwocky9
2015-03-13, 10:38 AM
Classes from books should be moreso, though, since they're harder to access.

Anyway, you won't get nearly as nice abilities, but even Battle Sorcerer/Abjurant Champion gets +16 BAB by level 20 (and thus is only a maximum of 4 BAB behind over the course of their career, usually less). If you're comfortable losing more casting (which you must have been with Swiftblade) then either Eldritch Knight or Knight Phantom is a fine, if generic, way to fill the levels. You could also try to wedge in a class that gives you access to free metamagic, like Incantatrix or Spelldancer.

I'm not too keen with Knight Phantom but Eldritch Knight might be alright. I am very interested with Swiftblade's class features.

Urpriest
2015-03-13, 02:03 PM
I'm not too keen with Knight Phantom but Eldritch Knight might be alright. I am very interested with Swiftblade's class features.

Yeah, unfortunately there's nothing out there that can replace those, and the closest equivalents would end up with a very different (heavily Psionic) build.

In terms of Abjurant Champion, let's say your campaign ends at 15th level. With a straight Battle Sorceror/Abjurant Champion build you'd enter Abjurant Champion after seven levels of Battle Sorceror, for a final build of Battle Sorc 7/Abjurant Champion 5/Battle Sorc +3. You'd get +6 BAB at 8th level and +11 at level 13, only two levels behind on your extra attacks in general. In the meantime, you wouldn't be behind on casting at all compared to a typical Sorceror. If you went with Eldritch Knight, you'd need a dip in some martial class to get the required proficiencies, so you'd be doing something like Fighter 1/Battle Sorc 6 to start...which actually already qualifies you for Abjurant Champion and is also seventh level. So I don't think Eldritch Knight is worthwhile.

Be aware that if your fellow players are suspicious of anything outside of core, then they'll probably be suspicious of the gish archetype as a whole, however you execute it.

jabberwocky9
2015-03-13, 06:07 PM
Ok, came up with this build. think?

1 Sorcerer (variant; Battle Sorcerer)
FEAT-weapon focus (longsword)
FEAT- (flaw) dodge
AESH SIGIL
2 Sorcerer
KRAU SIGIL
3 Sorcerer
FEAT-mobility
4 Sorcerer
5 Sorcerer
6 Sorcerer
FEAT-arcane strike
7 Swiftblade
8 Swiftblade
9 Swiftblade
FEAT-power attack
10 Swiftblade
11 Swiftblade
12 Swiftblade
FEAT-combat expertise
13 Swiftblade
14 Swiftblade
15 Swiftblade
FEAT-combat casting
16 Abjurant Champion
17 Abjurant Champion
18 Abjurant Champion
FEAT-elusive target
19 Abjurant Champion
20 Abjurant Champion

Urpriest
2015-03-13, 08:35 PM
Ok, came up with this build. think?

1 Sorcerer (variant; Battle Sorcerer)
FEAT-weapon focus (longsword)
FEAT- (flaw) dodge
AESH SIGIL
2 Sorcerer
KRAU SIGIL
3 Sorcerer
FEAT-mobility
4 Sorcerer
5 Sorcerer
6 Sorcerer
FEAT-arcane strike
7 Swiftblade
8 Swiftblade
9 Swiftblade
FEAT-power attack
10 Swiftblade
11 Swiftblade
12 Swiftblade
FEAT-combat expertise
13 Swiftblade
14 Swiftblade
15 Swiftblade
FEAT-combat casting
16 Abjurant Champion
17 Abjurant Champion
18 Abjurant Champion
FEAT-elusive target
19 Abjurant Champion
20 Abjurant Champion

What are Weapon Focus and Combat Expertise for?

jabberwocky9
2015-03-13, 08:39 PM
What are Weapon Focus and Combat Expertise for?

Anything better?

Urpriest
2015-03-13, 08:46 PM
Anything better?

Definitely. Minor Shapeshift (Complete Mage IIRC), for example, is pretty nice, I'd definitely slot that in instead of Combat Expertise. Practiced Spellcaster might be handy, at the very least it increases the duration of your buffs.

jabberwocky9
2015-03-13, 09:16 PM
Definitely. Minor Shapeshift (Complete Mage IIRC), for example, is pretty nice, I'd definitely slot that in instead of Combat Expertise. Practiced Spellcaster might be handy, at the very least it increases the duration of your buffs.

yep, definitely better. Thank you!