PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pathfinder's Mortal Kombat

Ralcos
2015-03-13, 09:29 AM
I have a challenge for these here forums.

The Material Plane is under siege from the forces of Shau Khan and his Plane of Outworld, the mortal beings only protected by an ancient rite of Mortal Kombat.
In order to take over the Prime Materium, champions of Outworld as well as chosen champions of the mortal realms must fight in a tournament which decides the futures of both Planes.

To make a long story short, which MK character will YOU build in the Pathfinder system, and how would you build him/her?

To start, I will try to build the concept for Shang Tsung; the Soul-Eating Sorcerer of Deciet.

Class Levels: Witch 8 / Monk 6
Ability Scores: High Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma. Possibly low Constitution and Strength?
Skills: Bluff, Know(Arcana), Know(Planes), Spellcraft, Use Magic Device
Combat Style: Focuses on spells and abilities that decieve, and deals damage to foes that heal himself.
Possible Feats: Arcane Strike, Combat Expertise, Improved Feint, Dodge, Monk Feats, Metamagic Feats?

Note: I am AFB right now, so I can't post a full build of this ancient wizard.

Now, TEST YOUR MIGHT!

Elricaltovilla
2015-03-13, 04:04 PM
Available books? 3rd Party Y/N?

For the most part I'd be inclined to use Path of War, because it offers the best possible versatility and power for martial characters. Beyond that, pretty much every character would be some kind of Monk, Warpriest, Magus (do they have an unarmed archetype?) or maybe Bloodrager. They're the classes that offer the closest thing to useable gish abilities. Unless you want Synthesist summoners.

Ralcos
2015-03-13, 09:36 PM
Available books? 3rd Party Y/N?

For the most part I'd be inclined to use Path of War, because it offers the best possible versatility and power for martial characters. Beyond that, pretty much every character would be some kind of Monk, Warpriest, Magus (do they have an unarmed archetype?) or maybe Bloodrager. They're the classes that offer the closest thing to useable gish abilities. Unless you want Synthesist summoners.

Any source is allowed really, but the only restriction is that you MUST stay within what your chosen character's moveset/abilities/racial traits as listed in the Mortal Kombat series.

MasterBruce1984
2015-03-14, 03:17 AM
I have a challenge for these here forums.

The Material Plane is under siege from the forces of Shau Khan and his Plane of Outworld, the mortal beings only protected by an ancient rite of Mortal Kombat.
In order to take over the Prime Materium, champions of Outworld as well as chosen champions of the mortal realms must fight in a tournament which decides the futures of both Planes.

To make a long story short, which MK character will YOU build in the Pathfinder system, and how would you build him/her?

To start, I will try to build the concept for Shang Tsung; the Soul-Eating Sorcerer of Deciet.

Class Levels: Witch 8 / Monk 6
Ability Scores: High Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma. Possibly low Constitution and Strength?
Skills: Bluff, Know(Arcana), Know(Planes), Spellcraft, Use Magic Device
Combat Style: Focuses on spells and abilities that decieve, and deals damage to foes that heal himself.
Possible Feats: Arcane Strike, Combat Expertise, Improved Feint, Dodge, Monk Feats, Metamagic Feats?

Note: I am AFB right now, so I can't post a full build of this ancient wizard.

Now, TEST YOUR MIGHT!

Cyrax.

Android Monk/Ninja:

Starting Stats (25 point buy) before racial modifiers:

STR - 15
DEX - 14
CON - 13
INT - 10
WIS - 16
CHA - 10

Level 4 Bump - STR
Level 8 Bump - CON

Traits:

Resilient - +1 Fort Saves
Seeker - +1 Perception, and Perception is a class skill

Feats:
Level 1 - Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 1 Monk - Dodge
Level 2 Monk - Improved Grapple
Level 3 - Exotic Weapons Proficiency (Net)
Level 5 - Crushing Blow
Level 7 - Boar Style
Level 9 - Weapon Focus (Unarmed Strike)
Level 6 Combat Trick - Power Attack

First four levels are Monk, putting your Unarmed attacks up to a d8. From there, go Ninja.

Ninja Tricks:

Level 2 - Invisibility (For his Teleportation Move)
Level 4 - Surprise Attack (Rogue Talent)
Level 6 - Combat Trick

The net for a weapon is because that is one of Cyrax's signature moves. I also have him with a Katana because an Energy Blade does not exist, and it seemed to make the most since bringing character to life.

The idea behind his tactics in Pathfinder would be get whatever chance you can to get the enemy flat-footed (net, flank, invisibility) and just punch away. With your unarmed strike, sneak attack, and boar style, you are effectively doing (if all three attacks hit in the case of level 10) 3d8+9, 3d6, 2d6 of bleed damage respectively. Max damage on one full-round attack is 63 points; that is a lot of damage!

Oh, and the Android race is out of the Inner Sea Bestiary/Iron Gods Player's Guide, in case you were curious.

Psyren
2015-03-14, 10:22 AM
Sure, I love MK :smallsmile: It's a bit too easy with psionics/binding/PoW so I'll try to stick to 1st-party.

Let's start with Liu Kang: main abilities are fireballs, various flavors of flying kick, and the ability to set his hands and feet on fire while attacking. In some games, he can also transform into a dragon with a nasty bite, and even limited teleportation. Some mix of Monk/Sorcerer would fit best here, but personally, I would discount the dragon thing (or possibly get it via an item of some kind) and make him a simple Qinggong Monk with Elemental Fist (fire) and Scorching Ray. Pummeling Charge should represent both of his flying kicks well. I also picture him with a vow or two - both because it fits his personality, and because he has plenty of ki. Alignment: LG.

Another is Scorpion - focuses on the Rope Dart and the Drag maneuver. Dragon Style feat chain + Elemental Fist gets the fire breath. There's not a whole lot else to him so you can go with a variety of classes - Ninja or Slayer could work.

The hardest is likely to be Shang Tsung.